PDA

View Full Version : Dixon placed on IR

anger 82&95
10-02-2010, 02:27 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers placed quarterback Dennis Dixon on injured reserve Saturday, ending Dixon's season and ensuring a roster spot for Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich when Ben Roethlisberger returns from a four-game suspension Monday.

Dixon had been ruled out of Sunday's game against the Baltimore Ravens after he injured his knee Sept. 19 against the Tennessee Titans.

The Steelers signed defensive tackle Steve McLendon from their practice squad to the active roster to replace Dixon.

anger 82&95
10-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5639814

AkronSteel
10-02-2010, 02:45 PM
This is a good move! I was wondering what was going to happen with the QB's when Ben comes back on the active roster.....I guess it will be Ben, Lefty, and Batch! Plus that gives the team another year to stash Dixon and not have to make a decision to get rid of him.

McLendon has shown some things not only in the preseason but in his only game action in Tennessee. I would really like to see the team keep 7 on the active roster after Sunday! Smith, Hampton, Keisel, Hood, Hoke, Eason, and McLendon would make for a nice front group for us. My question is who is expendable at this point in the year to allow the team to keep all 7 guys up front. Could it be Arnaz Battle? I have not seen much of him this year and the young guys seem to be developing good enough that he may be expendable. Heck, Antonio Brown is a pretty darn good guy on coverage teams anyways!!! What does anyone else think about this scenario??

Starlifter
10-02-2010, 03:56 PM
not surprising at all.....

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13782&p=169065#p169065 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13782&p=169065#p169065)

aggiebones
10-02-2010, 05:11 PM
not logical.

If they believe in him, keep him on the sideline. Keep him involved in 4 weeks when they come back.
If they've given up on him, then cut him.

I don't think anything is there and they need to draft someone else next year, 3rd to 5th round.

Crash
10-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Dixon clearly isn't ready to play a full time role or even be a backup. Let him rehab, pay him, and then re-evaluate him.

Oviedo
10-02-2010, 06:20 PM
not logical.

If they believe in him, keep him on the sideline. Keep him involved in 4 weeks when they come back.
If they've given up on him, then cut him.

I don't think anything is there and they need to draft someone else next year, 3rd to 5th round.

It's not only logical, it was an obvious move because they really don't see him as anymore than a #3 and he won't contribute this year. He is an RFA at the end of the season. Leftwich will now be the #2 for the next 3-4 years.

They can get another #3 easily either through the draft or as a FA.

aggiebones
10-02-2010, 06:46 PM
My point of logic is:
If he's not worth growing on the sideline as a backup...then just dump him. IR is pointless. Fact is they do not need Lefty and Batch on the bench.
That does no good. You use one spot to groom youth. Othewise just go with 2 QBs. Get rid of Lefty or Batch and sign some talented youth at another position. If Ben or Lefty goes for instance goes down, then sign Batch. NOONE will pick him up anyway.
Sign as an assistent if you are guilty about cutting him.

Djfan
10-02-2010, 08:56 PM
I can't find the thread where I said this already, but it wasn't in context of IR.

He is done as a Steeler. I doubt we could trade him really, and Batch proved his worth again. Lefty is the perennial number two. We go into the draft and find someone in the next year or two.

IF we think we can trade him for something we resign him. I doubt there is any trade value in him.

steelfin
10-03-2010, 01:07 AM
This is the ONLY move.....The only reason Dixon was even a consideration is because Lefty was injured. Now that he is out 6 weeks we don't have the luxury of taking a roster spot for a 3rd (at best) QB...

Sorry to all the Dixon supporters, but he will never be a starter...He is a backup QB at best. He may be a great athlete, but it takes more than that to be a starting QB in the NFL....

I am done with the Dixon experiment...the dude blows as an NFL QB.

SF

fordfixer
10-03-2010, 02:17 AM
Dixon on IR, McLendon active

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 5334079d32 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Dixon-on-IR-McLendon-active/e69fabb6-0375-406b-9dd2-d05334079d32)

Steelers Place QB Dennis Dixon On IR;
Sign Defensive Tackle Steve McLendon To Active Roster

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers made a roster move today when they placed third-year quarterback Dennis Dixon on the Reserve/Injured List with a knee injury. Dixon suffered the knee injury in the Steelers’ Week 2 victory at Tennessee.

Dixon started each of the first two games of the 2010 season and led the Steelers to back-to-back victories. In those two games, he was 22-of-32 (68.8 pct.) for 254 yards with one interception (79.4 passer rating). Dixon also rushed five times for 32 yards (6.4 avg.).

In four career games, including three starts, Dixon is 35-for-59 for 402 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions (71.4 passer rating).

The Steelers signed defensive tackle Steve McLendon (6-4, 300) from their practice squad to the active roster to replace Dixon. McLendon was originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent in April, 2009. He spent a portion of the 2009 season on the practice squad and saw his first NFL action in Week 2 of this year at Tennessee. McLendon finished with one tackle and a fumble recovery in his NFL debut against the Titans.

NorthCoast
10-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Wow...those ready to dump Dixon because Batch had a good game, talk about bandwagoners. Batch is one good hit away from being done for the season. The OL kept him clean last week, but it won't happen again this week, and don't think the Ravens don't know his injury history. They will be coming after him HARD all day long. I didn't see much choice with the Dixon move. Even when he comes back he would need a few weeks of practice to get game ready. By that time you are looking at the last 1/4 of the season, so why bother? Dixon may not be the second coming, but he is a accurate passer with an arm. He just needs to learn to read defenses, and that will only happen with experience.

fezziwig
10-03-2010, 09:05 AM
I never liked the running quarterbacks and it wouldn't bother me in the least to cut Dixon all together. The guy can't read defenses, can't find the open receivers and has a weak arm. People talk about Batch being injury proned, where is Dixon and Leftwich now ?
On the average, those two guys are probably more injury proned than Charlie.
Dixon has nothing to offer this team. They took a gamble with him but he doesn't have it and never will. They are better off cutting him, taking a qb next year in the draft that can actually throw the football because we have runningbacks. Always go for a veteran backup because we won't always have a monster defense to carry qb's with little to no talent.

Djfan
10-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Northcoast,

It's not an anti-Dixon thing. He just has no place in the future of this team. He wants more, we need not much. It just doesn't match. He'll go and have a decent career somewhere maybe.

He's just done with his Steelers moment.

Oviedo
10-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Wow...those ready to dump Dixon because Batch had a good game, talk about bandwagoners. Batch is one good hit away from being done for the season. The OL kept him clean last week, but it won't happen again this week, and don't think the Ravens don't know his injury history. They will be coming after him HARD all day long. I didn't see much choice with the Dixon move. Even when he comes back he would need a few weeks of practice to get game ready. By that time you are looking at the last 1/4 of the season, so why bother? Dixon may not be the second coming, but he is a accurate passer with an arm. He just needs to learn to read defenses, and that will only happen with experience.

Ben's back and Batch is perfectly fine as the #2b behind Leftwich.

Not sure how you can worry about Batch getting hit when Dixon goes out for a non contact injury. The guy is physically slight and he could never take the beating long term that NFL QBs have to take.

Dixon is a typical NFL journeyman back up. Those guys are easy to get but at least the next couple of years he will never be more than #3 on this team behind Ben and Leftwich.