PDA

View Full Version : Question About Flozell?

flippy
10-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Why did Dallas let him go?

He's a beast in run blocking. And is quicker on his feet than I suspected. I know he's old and all, but he might have been one of our best off season acquisitions in some time. I wonder how many more years he can play?

ikestops85
10-01-2010, 11:06 AM

He's a beast in run blocking. And is quicker on his feet than I suspected. I know he's old and all, but he might have been one of our best off season acquisitions in some time. I wonder how many more years he can play?

I think it was a combination of salary, his pass blocking has gone downhill, and he is one of the most penalized tackles in the league.

Oviedo
10-01-2010, 11:09 AM

I think it was a combination of salary, his pass blocking has gone downhill, and he is one of the most penalized tackles in the league.

Salary was a big factor plus they figured they just needed to move on at Left Tackle and weren't willing to pay him his salary to be RT. Mistake on their part since his replacements haven't been that good.

MicroBioSteel
10-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Flozell was over-priced for what he brought to the table in Dallas. His false starts were killing the team in critical situations. All those false starts occurred due to a combination of reasons:

1) At left tackle he often went up against the best/quickest pass rusher
2) He is deaf in his right ear. That means at LT his deaf ear is inside to the QB. At RT his deaf ear is outside facing the fans (blocking out crowd noise)
3) Cowboys fans don't show up on the road and scream when their team is on offense ;)

1-3 are all fixed in the Burgh!
:tt1

RuthlessBurgher
10-01-2010, 12:24 PM
He was due $7.5 million for this year in Dallas.

We got him for the same $7.5 million, but for 2 years ($2.5 million this year, and a team option for $5 million next year).

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Keep in mind that the move to Pittsburgh so far, and the move from LT to RT helps with his greatest strength and weakness.

Flozell is a great run blocker. Without Ben under Center the Steelers have rushed the ball 96 times and thrown 60 times. That works out to over 61% rushing plays. Even when you factor in QB rushes and sacks as probable pass attempts, you have 52% straight runs vs. drop backs.

By contrast the Cowboys have thrown 129 times and rushed 69 times. They have thrown over 65% of the time. Factoring in QB runs and sacks and you bump to 66%. The Cowboys have different needs than what we have had the first few games.

Another factor in Adams' success so far is seen by the lack of production by Heath Miller. Our passing game has been more conservative in the first three games so it goes to reason that the TE should increase production. Heath had almost 5 catches per game last year and 6 TDs. He has 8 catches in three games for 68 yards, so where has he been? Blocking beside Flozell Adams on passing downs more often instead of running a pattern.

One more thing.....Romo has dropped back 128 times and been sacked once and forced to run twice. Steelers QBs have dropped back 78 times and been sacked 7 times and ran 11. Looks like the OL standards on Dallas are much higher than here.

flippy
10-01-2010, 01:10 PM
I had heard about the false starts, but had no idea about the deaf ear.

hawaiiansteel
10-01-2010, 03:47 PM

We got him for the same $7.5 million, but for 2 years ($2.5 million this year, and a team option for $5 million next year).

it will be interesting to see if the Steelers exercise that $5 million option next year with Colon coming back from injury.

MicroBioSteel
10-01-2010, 05:02 PM

it will be interesting to see if the Steelers exercise that $5 million option next year with Colon coming back from injury.

We are not going to playing football next year so that's a moot point :HeadBanger

hawaiiansteel
10-01-2010, 09:53 PM

We are not going to playing football next year so that's a moot point :HeadBanger

unfortunately, that may be very true... :(