PDA

View Full Version : How will they rotate NT this week?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-01-2010, 08:52 AM
I don't know if Hampton is a 3 down lineman, but he needs his plays off, right?

Will it be McLendon?

I hope it's not too hot on Sunday ...

Oviedo
10-01-2010, 08:54 AM
I hope it is McLendon and they just IR Dixon. No way do I want to go into a physical battle with only 3 healthy DL. Seems like a recipe for failure especially against an team that relies on a runnings game.

Put Dixon out to pasture now and activate McLendon off the PS.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Anyone know if McLendon has been practicing with the 1st team?

I'd really be kind of worried here if Hampton doesn't have someone to spell him.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-01-2010, 09:27 AM
I'm sure McClendon is getting work. Hoke didn't practice yet so it might be a last minute thing. Hood & Eason both could play NT. Being that they are in Pittsburgh, if everyone is healthy except Hoke, they might try to get by with 5. I'm sure there is a back-up OL who would be an emergency. Foster played DL in high school.

DD to IR seems like the most logical but as Ruth pointed out in another topic, if they are going to make that move, they wil probably wait until after the Ravens game as Ruth said. What they did with Lefty was a pretty good move. He didn't have to go through waivers. Can't do that again since he is the #2. The only one left on the roster they could do that to, that they might be able to get by with would be Battle. His salary is guranteed anyway. Release him for one game and bring him back. I don't think any of the rookies would clear.

flippy
10-01-2010, 09:35 AM
THere's no reason we can't go with 2 down linemen more often.

RuthlessBurgher
10-01-2010, 10:22 AM
We needed 6 DL the last two weeks because we were playing in the South wearing black with temps in the 90's that felt like triple digits. The big fellas needed rest and rotation often in those conditions. On Sunday in Pittsburgh, the forecast calls for scattered showers with a high of 54 and a low of 44. We can get by with 5 DL. Hood and Eason can backup any of the 3 DL positions.

flippy
10-01-2010, 10:55 AM
We have so many LBs, why not go a little more 2-5?

And rotate Worldis, Gibson, and Sly into the mix with Harrison, Woodley, and sometime TImmons to rush from the outside?

RuthlessBurgher
10-01-2010, 12:27 PM

And rotate Worldis, Gibson, and Sly into the mix with Harrison, Woodley, and sometime TImmons to rush from the outside?

That 2-5 would essentially be a 4-3, since the outside rush backers more-or-less would be lining up as DE's.

hawaiiansteel
10-01-2010, 02:52 PM
That 2-5 would essentially be a 4-3, since the outside rush backers more-or-less would be lining up as DE's.

and this would be a harbinger of the future because we all know Tomlin wants to switch to his beloved 4-3 anyway... :stirpot

Oviedo
10-01-2010, 02:55 PM

Did you say 4-3? Sign me up. About time :wink: :wink: :wink:

:stirpot :stirpot :stirpot :stirpot

:stirpot :stirpot :stirpot

Crash
10-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Rain is supposed to be in the forecast for Sunday. 60's and rain.

hawaiiansteel
10-02-2010, 01:59 AM
looks like Hoke is not going to play...

Steelers' defensive line benefiting from extra rest

By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, October 2, 2010

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2010-10-01/keisel-a.jpg

Rested and ready
Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review

Defensive line coach John Mitchell is excited about a rotation through the first three games that has reduced the number of snaps for starters Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton and Brett Keisel. "You don't want to wear them out," Mitchell said. "This is a long season, and you want those guys in November and December feeling good and rested."

Smith, in particular, has benefited from resting for series at a time during the game something he hasn't been able to do throughout most of his 13-year career. "This is the first year I haven't had to play 70 snaps a game," Smith said. "Hopefully, it makes a difference in a long season."

The defensive line rotation will be shortened by one player in Sunday's game against Baltimore at Heinz Field. As expected, nose tackle Chris Hoke (knee) missed another day of practice and won't play against the Ravens. Guard Trai Essex (ankle) and quarterback Dennis Dixon (knee) are also out.

For Baltimore, tackle Jared Gaither (back), linebacker Tavares Gooden (shoulder) and wide receiver Donte Stallworth (foot) are out. Running back Ray Rice (knee), defensive end Cory Redding (head), tackle/guard Tony Moll (hip) and linebacker Edgar Jones (thigh) are questionable.

The NFL announced the fines Friday that Ravens offensive tackle Michael Oher and safety Tom Zbikowski have each been fined $5,000 for their actions in Sunday's game against Cleveland. Oher's fine stems from punching Browns defensive end Robaire Smith. Oher hit Smith after Smith shoved Baltimore tight end Todd Heap following a whistle that had stopped play for a false start. Zbikowski tackled Browns running back Peyton Hillis out of bounds at the end of a 48-yard run. The play drew a penalty for unnecessary roughness.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 02401.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_702401.html)

Oviedo
10-02-2010, 07:07 PM
They put Dixon on the IR so he is out of the way for the season and they activated McLendon from the PS. Looks like Hoke won't play.