View Full Version : Mendenhall hitting his stride

fordfixer
10-01-2010, 01:26 AM
Mendenhall hitting his stride

By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Sep 29, 2010
http://cle.scout.com/2/1007331.html

No one expects it to be easy, but history says Steelers can run on the Ravens.

PITTSBURGH – Mike Tomlin might’ve been happy to see the Steelers’ next opponent, the Baltimore Ravens, allow 144 yards rushing to Peyton Hillis last Sunday.

But he wasn’t.

“The fact that Cleveland had success a week ago doesn’t bode well for us,” said the Steelers’ coach. “It just doesn’t.”

Rashard Mendenhall, who’s had his shoulder blade broken trying to run against the Ravens, felt the same way.

“Yeah,” said Mendenhall. “You know defenses like that. They’re going to bounce back.”

That’s the thinking, but it’s not an historical fact. Last year, after Cedric Benson rushed for 120 yards against the Ravens in Week 5, Adrian Peterson ran for 143 against them in Week 6. The Ravens also allowed back-to-back 100-yard rushers in 2005.

Does that give Mendenhall any comfort?

“I really don’t pay attention to that,” he said. “Every Sunday’s a new Sunday. I’m not looking forward or expecting anything like that, I’m just preparing.”

The serious-minded Mendenhall understands the ferocity of this rivalry. He felt it as a rookie when Ray Lewis broke his scapula. He felt it last year when the Ravens held him to 36 yards on 17 carries in the Steelers’ 23-20 win in Game 15.

But Mendenhall did find success in last season’s first meeting between the two teams. He rushed for 95 yards in 24 carries when Dennis Dixon filled in for Ben Roethlisberger in a Steelers loss at Baltimore. It was the best performance by a Steelers back against the Ravens since Jerome Bettis rushed for 118 yards in 2004.

The Steelers, for whatever reason, felt confident they could run the ball against the Ravens last year, even though Dixon didn’t threaten the Ravens much with his arm.

“That was the only way to attack them,” said tackle Willie Colon. “You didn’t want to get into a passing match with them because they can be confusing. We felt we had to go right at them, and we felt good about it.”

The Steelers rushed for 153 yards as a team, but the Ravens won in overtime. It was the second Ravens win out of the last seven meetings between the teams, and Ben Roethlisberger missed both games.

Roethlisberger, or course, will miss Sunday’s game, but Mendenhall is running better than ever. In three games this season he’s rushed for 332 yards at a 5.2 per-carry clip. It’s the best three-game output of Mendenhall’s brief NFL career.

“He’s kind of showing glimpses of what he did in college,” said the Ravens’ Lewis. “Pittsburgh’s been looking for that back since they lost the Bus years ago. He’s a complete back now, and they’re really getting him involved in that package.”

“You get more confident and comfortable with experience,” Mendenhall explained. “You kind of know what to expect and how to go about it.”

Mendenhall also expects the Ravens to tighten up after Hillis became only the seventh back in the last 72 games to rush for 100 yards against them.

But in two of those seven instances, the Ravens served it right back up the following week. The Steelers hope the third time’s their charm.

Oviedo
10-01-2010, 08:11 AM
Mendy is a beast. Another great draft pick by Tomlin and Colbert and while he didn't give some fans the immediate gratification they seek from young players he is a perfect fit for this offense. Still young and will get even better.

If he can stay healthy we will get a good 5-6 years out of him.

flippy
10-01-2010, 09:15 AM
I'd like to see him getting more passes his way.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-01-2010, 10:14 AM
No accident that Mendy is hitting his stride ... run blocking is improved. He already had the talent...now he has some holes.

feltdizz
10-01-2010, 10:53 AM
No accident that Mendy is hitting his stride ... run blocking is improved. He already had the talent...now he has some holes.

Pouncey.... and once Ben returns and we stretch the field he will really hit his stride.

Oviedo
10-01-2010, 11:07 AM

Plus he was just 20 when we drafted him and he is now developing into a full grown man beast!!!!!!!! Many forget how young he a Timmons were when they got drafted and it is not a coincidence they are "arriving" about the same time.

ikestops85
10-01-2010, 11:19 AM
I must admit I wasn't sold on Mendy having the talent to be an elite back after his first 2 years. Granted it was hard to evaluate him due to our offensive line problems. I thought he was along the lines of FWP although he would bust a few more tackles than Willie but he didn't have the change of speed Willie had for the big runs.

Well he certainly has opened my eyes up this year. The offensive line has kept tacklers out of the backfield for the most part and opens up creases in the D-line for Mendy to pick and choose ... which Mendy has done superbly. He seems to read his blocks well and when he makes his decision is a rocket into the hole. I know that spin move is going to cost us every now and then but he is very effective with it and it barely slows him down.

I thought the guy was a good back but now I think he can be a great one. :tt2

Oviedo
10-01-2010, 11:29 AM
I must admit I wasn't sold on Mendy having the talent to be an elite back after his first 2 years. Granted it was hard to evaluate him due to our offensive line problems. I thought he was along the lines of FWP although he would bust a few more tackles than Willie but he didn't have the change of speed Willie had for the big runs.

Well he certainly has opened my eyes up this year. The offensive line has kept tacklers out of the backfield for the most part and opens up creases in the D-line for Mendy to pick and choose ... which Mendy has done superbly. He seems to read his blocks well and when he makes his decision is a rocket into the hole. I know that spin move is going to cost us every now and then but he is very effective with it and it barely slows him down.

I thought the guy was a good back but now I think he can be a great one. :tt2

The difference is that you are now watching a 23 year old versus a 20 year old. Big difference in the NFL as far as physical development. He is just now the age of most of the player who cam out in the recent draft but the benefit to us is that we have had control over his physical development for the past two years versus some college.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-01-2010, 12:46 PM

Plus he was just 20 when we drafted him and he is now developing into a full grown man beast!!!!!!!! Many forget how young he a Timmons were when they got drafted and it is not a coincidence they are "arriving" about the same time.

The adjustment from college to pro is easier for a running back than most other positions.
I don't think Mendy needed this long to develop--he could have had 1500+ yards last season, IF we had had better run blocking.

Crash
10-01-2010, 12:57 PM
I'd like to see him getting more passes his way.

I'd like to see him remain on the field during 2 minute drills also.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-01-2010, 02:06 PM
I think that this week we will see a heavy dose of the famous RUTFM play.....or just right of the middle behind Bronco and the Hotel.

In the Ravens you have a combination of age - Gregg, Lewis - and big, big men - Ngata, Cody, Gregg again.

Olinemen love to pound into big, fat D guys, which takes a toll. Throw in a bunch of play action and I think that this is the Steelers gameplan for Sunday.

How about this for an odd prediction.......at least 60% of Batch's dropbacks will be PA.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-01-2010, 02:21 PM
I think that this week we will see a heavy dose of the famous RUTFM play.....or just right of the middle behind Bronco and the Hotel.

In the Ravens you have a combination of age - Gregg, Lewis - and big, big men - Ngata, Cody, Gregg again.

Olinemen love to pound into big, fat D guys, which takes a toll. Throw in a bunch of play action and I think that this is the Steelers gameplan for Sunday.

How about this for an odd prediction.......at least 60% of Batch's dropbacks will be PA.

If the running game is working, that would be awesome.

fordfixer
10-02-2010, 02:53 AM
Mendenhall expects test from Ravens
By Mark Kaboly, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, October 1, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 02203.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_702203.html)

There are a lot of superlatives being thrown around these days when it comes to describing Rashard Mendenhall's running style.

Like patience — Mendenhall waited for David Johnson and Hines Ward to make key blocks on his 34-yard run against Tampa Bay last week.

Like vision — Mendenhall saw the hole over the right guard in Tennessee and broke off a 20-yard gain.

Like burst — He took off and ran away from Atlanta defenders for a game-winning 50-yard touchdown run in overtime Week 1.

The patience, vision and burst have helped Mendenhall get off to a fast start, rushing for 332 yards and averaging more than five yards per carry through the first three games of the season.

But it's Mendenhall's power running game that's starting to get noticed more and more every day.

"Pittsburgh's been looking for that back since they lost "The Bus" years ago," Baltimore linebacker Ray Lewis, referring to Jerome Bettis. "He's a complete back now, and they're really getting him involved in that package."

The 5-11, 225-pound Mendenhall excelled at being the Steelers' goal-line back a year ago, scoring six of his seven rushing touchdowns from four yards or closer.

Still, Mendenhall has never really been looked at as having power running skills ... until now.

"He proved it last year," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "He made some really good runs, second-effort runs and tough runs."

Last week against the Buccaneers, Mendenhall showed his power skills when he met safety Sean Jones in the hole on a goal-line run for the 3-yard line. Mendenhall slammed into the 6-1, 220-pounder and dragged him into the end zone for a touchdown.

"All you have to do is watch last year's tape," Arians said. "If he is surprising you this year, then you didn't watch him last year. I think that (run against Tampa Bay) proved it."

Out of Mendenhall's nine career rushing touchdowns, every one has been from seven yards or closer, except the game-winner against Atlanta.

"That's just part of my resume," Mendenhall said. "That's what I've been doing in high school and college. Even though, I'll take the long runs all day. Those are the plays that make ESPN, and it feels good to run away from those little guys."

Mendenhall's toughness came into question early on in his career and especially when Lewis put him out for the year with a routine-looking hit during Mendenhall's rookie year.

Mendenhall, who broke his shoulder on the play, will get a chance to show off his running skills this weekend against a Ravens team known for stopping the run.

In seven of the past eight regular-season games, Baltimore's front seven have held the Steelers to less than 100 rushing yards.

Baltimore did allow Cleveland running back Peyton Hillis to gash them for 140 yards last week and are giving up nearly 130 yards on the ground per game for the season.

"They are really good," Arians said. "The last couple weeks, some teams have cracked them a little bit, but they are the best front seven we will see against the run."

Chavezz
10-02-2010, 12:44 PM

Why don't you want to see Big Ben drop back 60% of the time!!!

Charlie Batch!

ALLD
10-02-2010, 08:50 PM
All I need to say is "22 double".