PDA

View Full Version : Hearing from Mike Tomlin

fordfixer
10-01-2010, 12:40 AM
Hearing from Mike Tomlin
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 0f0f0d4d26 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Hearing-from-Mike-Tomlin/eda75585-25a2-490d-b64d-c20f0f0d4d26)

On announcing starters, fines, playersí backgrounds

Throughout the 2010 NFL season, Coach Mike Tomlin will provide his insight and observations to Steelers.com on a variety of topics pertaining to the team and the National Football League.

Q. Two different times this year, you have had situations where the starting quarterback was injured, and you chose to announce the replacement almost immediately. Why do it that way?

A. Because I want to get about the business of preparing for the football game. I know the announcement means nothing to our football team because theyíre readying themselves for action, but Iím trying to limit the amount of questions and things they have to deal with in order to prepare for the game. I want these guys focused on what weíre doing, which is preparing for the game. If I make the announcement, the story blows over, itís out there, and the guys are not fielding questions all week about who is the quarterback and the ramifications if so-and-so is the quarterback. I think it creates somewhat of a distraction in todayís NFL Ė as the media is a big part of what we do. Sometimes you make decisions about announcements and things relative to that, and I think (the quarterback) is one of those things that is quickly becoming a potential distraction for football teams, when you donít attack it aggressively.

Q. Is quarterback a unique situation, or do you view all positions the same way?

A. It really depends on circumstances. I trust my instincts. I know we have a noteworthy situation here, particularly with the quarterback position. Because it is the quarterback position, it makes it unique, and Iím just reacting and doing what I deem is appropriate under those circumstances.

Q. You had three guys fined for the Titans game. Whatís your opinion on how the league adjudicates these things?

A. I understand the rules as they are written and that we need to adhere to them. When we donít, then we could be potentially penalized and/or fined. Thatís part of it. In some of those situations penalties were not levied, but thatís standard protocol. Fines go out around the league every week for plays that were not penalized.

Q. Do you talk to players who get fined about being fined?

A. Very little. Most of the time, they know itís coming, so itís less of a news item than many people realize. We talk about playing penalty-free football, and how that hurts our team if we donít, so indirectly we talk about fines, but Iím more interested in the yardage than the dollar amount because itís not my money.

Q. Do you concern yourself with the fact that the league might be trying to take the aggression out of the game?

A. I am concerned about it. Iím less concerned about it when I think itís across-the-board. I get hyper-sensitive when I think that we are being targeted because of our reputation. I like our reputation. I like the persona that we have in terms of how we play football, but I donít want to see our team targeted.

Q. Can you explain the process by which a player is notified of a fine and then up through the part of actually paying the money?

A. Players get a letter via email or FedEx, or both. They have a limited number of days to appeal it via email. When they do that, it goes through an appeals process. If they explain their actions and why they acted in the way they did Ė the big thing is that the explanation of their action has to show that the action was not egregious. If it does that, you have a chance at getting a reduction or an elimination of the fine. Theyíll send you notification after a period of time to let you know either that it is what it is, or itís a reduced amount, or it wasnít egregious and there is no fine. Then the payment is deducted from their next paycheck.

Q. A lot of players in the NFL have arrived here by overcoming some tough situations as they were growing up. Do you factor that in when you deal with them as their coach?

A. You acknowledge the existence of those life stories, because thatís as much a part of the fabric of the NFL as the players and the games and so forth. These are special people, and they are special people because of the blessing God has given them from a genetic standpoint and their experiences. I truly believe it has made them who they are, and if it was a detriment to them then they wouldnít be here. Itís usually a weapon at their disposal when channeled in the proper direction, and I try to guide them in terms of channeling it. That being the competitive spirit, the never-say-die approach and things that people tend to acquire through life experiences.

Q. Do you actively seek this kind of background information?

A. Absolutely. It starts prior to them being here, but no question it continues and really is shaped after they arrive. I think that when you gather information about people prior to them being drafted or acquired, theyíre in interview mode, if you will. You really get to know people over the course of time as you deal with them on a day-to-day basis, and you really start to be able to connect the dots with what makes them tick and why they are the way they are.

Q. Did you take sociology at William & Mary?

A. I was a sociology major, and I use it every day.

kiwi_sarah
10-01-2010, 01:11 AM
Huh, ok, now the "this is our QB" announcements make a little more sense. Good read, thanks FF.

fordfixer
10-01-2010, 01:15 AM
Huh, ok, now the "this is our QB" announcements make a little more sense. Good read, thanks FF.

Your welcome :tt1 :tt1

hawaiiansteel
10-02-2010, 02:03 AM
Tomlin tries bye-week ploy

By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, October 2, 2010

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2010-10-01/tomlin-a.jpg

Mike Tomlin
Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review

Bye-week success

The Steelers are 3-0 under coach Mike Tomlin in games before the bye week. They are 2-1 in games after the bye week.

BEFORE

2009: Steelers 27, Minnesota 17

2008: Steelers 26, Jacksonville 21

2007: Steelers 21, Seattle 0

AFTER

2009: Steelers 28, Denver 10

2008: Steelers 38, Cincinnati 10

2007: Denver 31, Steelers 28

Dangling a carrot in front of his players, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin hinted he may extend their rest time during the bye week depending on the outcome of Sunday's 1 p.m. game against the Baltimore Ravens at Heinz Field.

The Steelers aren't scheduled to play next weekend.

"I haven't decided on it, and probably the No. 1 determinant for our bye week activities is how we perform on Sunday,'' Tomlin said.

Tomlin's motivational ploy isn't original. Coaches always look for different ways to get more out of their players. According to veteran defensive end Aaron Smith, Tomlin's challenge is unnecessary.

"If you need that to get motivated, you're in the wrong business,'' Smith said Friday. "You should be motivated well beyond that point. Whatever he does with the bye week is what he does.''

Under Tomlin, the Steelers are 3-0 in games entering the bye week.

Free safety Ryan Clark said the players are taking Tomlin's message in stride.

"He told us don't ask about the bye week. He told us to go play football and we'll figure it out,'' Clark said. "Most of the time, Coach has those things set. I think with him, though, if you do play well, he throws you a bone every now and then. So maybe he has a bone set away for us.''

The Steelers open their normal week following a Sunday game with meetings on Monday, off on Tuesday and practice from Wednesday-Thursday followed by a walk-through Saturday at Heinz Field.

Tomlin's words leave open the possibility he could reduce the players work week and send them home as early as Wednesday or Thursday.

The Steelers have been nearly as effective in their first game following the bye week, where they're 2-1 under Tomlin.

Last year, the Steelers defeated Denver 28-10 on Monday night following the bye week and after defeating Minnesota 27-17.

"I don't really worry about it,'' defensive end Brett Keisel said. "We're trying to get back to the playoffs. We're trying to win another championship. We know we're going to have a little bit of a break. How long is really irrelevant. We've got a good thing going.''

The Steelers are attempting to open the season 4-0 for the first time since 1979 under Chuck Noll.

Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison said it's important that the players don't place too much emphasis on the bye week.

"We've got a bye week no matter if we win or lose,'' Harrison said. "It depends on how many games you're going to get off.

"We don't need a bunch of time off right now. If it was later, maybe. Not this early.''

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 02395.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_702395.html)

Flasteel
10-02-2010, 02:28 AM
Q. A lot of players in the NFL have arrived here by overcoming some tough situations as they were growing up. Do you factor that in when you deal with them as their coach?

A. You acknowledge the existence of those life stories, because thatís as much a part of the fabric of the NFL as the players and the games and so forth. These are special people, and they are special people because of the blessing God has given them from a genetic standpoint and their experiences. I truly believe it has made them who they are, and if it was a detriment to them then they wouldnít be here. Itís usually a weapon at their disposal when channeled in the proper direction, and I try to guide them in terms of channeling it. That being the competitive spirit, the never-say-die approach and things that people tend to acquire through life experiences.

I just love this and wanted to comment. We can point out our fair share of scumbags, who make it on sheer talent, but the NFL is loaded with guys who have overcome significant adversity.

I sometimes poke fun at Tomlin for jedi mind-tricking folks with his smooth BS, but this statement to me, shows how much he gets it...and can tap into whatever it takes to motivate his players. I respect the hell out of Aaron Smith, but even as a pro, men need solid leadership which can motivate them and push them beyond their previously known limits.

As a former soldier, teacher, and coach I have a profound respect for this skill set. I admit that it has a greater impact on young men, who are still in a formative stage. But don't think for a second that it doesn't work on old dogs.

Tomlin is the effin' man! :tt2 :Beer

Discipline of Steel
10-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Hearing from Mike Tomlin

Q. Do you concern yourself with the fact that the league might be trying to take the aggression out of the game?

A. I am concerned about it. Iím less concerned about it when I think itís across-the-board. I get hyper-sensitive when I think that we are being targeted because of our reputation. I like our reputation. I like the persona that we have in terms of how we play football, but I donít want to see our team targeted.

I like that part