PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Batch - Integrity, Professionalism, Work Ethic

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-30-2010, 10:28 PM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... #storyjump (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/9/30/1723551/profile-qb-charlie-batch#storyjump)

Behind the Steel Curtain: An SB Nation Community

by momma rollett on Sep 30, 2010 8:45 PM EDT

To me, Charlie Batch represents everything the Pittsburgh Steelers stand for. He is not only a consummate team player for the club, but he exemplifies the Steelers ethos of community service. Born and raised in Pittsburgh, Charlie chose Eastern Michigan University for his college career. The son of a schoolteacher, he didn't take the easy way out academically, and received his bachelor's degree in criminal justice.

Then, as now, Batch wore #16, and set records for the Eastern Michigan University program, accumulating 7,715 total offensive yards. He set single-season records of offensive yards - 3,229 in 1995 and 3,390 in 1997, as well as records for 7,592 career passing yards and 53 career touchdown passes. Batch was also named first team All-Mid-American Conference in 1995 and was EMU’s Most Valuable Player in 1997.

He was drafted by the Detroit Lions in 1998, #60 overall, and was the starting QB for the Lions for 4 years, although injuries plagued his career. His best year was 1999, when he led the Lions to a Wild Card berth in the playoffs. Unfortunately they lost the game, as Charlie was injured and unable to play. One might say that injuries have been the Achilles heel of his career, not only with the Lions but since signing with the Steelers in 2002. (He was cut by Detroit in a massive reorganization of the franchise.) Despite this propensity, Batch has played in 71 games during his NFL career, completing 819 passes for 10,050 yards and 57 touchdowns.

Star-divide

Although he hasn't had a particularly flashy career in the NFL, he is a player that coaches know that they can rely on when the chips are down. Through years of seeing himself passed over for other players, he's never been less than professional, waiting in the wings to help out the team at a moment's notice. When interviewed recently, he sounded a bit bemused by the fact that the coaching staff so easily overlooked him in this year's quarterback derby. "I always wanted to put my hat in the ring," Batch said. "For me, I didn't get that opportunity early ... But things happened and here I am with that opportunity, and I had to make the most of it." Apparently Batch did much of his pre-season preparation on his own time, working after and between practices with the receivers.

Charlie is very well respected among his colleagues. He is on the Executive Committee of the NFLPA, and he received the Steelers 2006 Walter Payton Man of the Year Award. In February of 2010 he was inducted into Eastern Michigan University's Athletic Hall of Fame.

But Batch realized very early in his career that life is about more than football, and he established the Charlie Batch Foundation while still with the Detroit Lions, with the express goal of assisting inner-city kids. When he moved back home to Pittsburgh, he moved most of the activities of the foundation here as well, and the many programs have helped countless Pittsburgh kids and youth. Some of those programs are the Toys for Tots Literacy Program, the NCJW BatchPacks for Kids (which takes 350 kids shopping for school supplies,) the Architecture Building Communities program, which is operated in conjunction with the Carnegie Mellon School of Architecture, the Best of the Batch Club, which rewards students for academic achievement, citizenship, and so on with field trips with Charlie, and a number of other tutoring, literacy, and scholarship programs. Many celebrities merely lend their name to charitable foundations or functions, but Batch both provides funding and day-to-day involvement in his many charitable efforts. Earlier this month Charlie was presented with the first Jerome Bettis Award for Humanity and Community Service. This annual award is presented to a Pittsburgh individual who demonstrates the image of the award title. Batch was chosen because of his commitment to his hometown of Homestead.

It does my heart good to see a man of his integrity and work ethic be rewarded with an opportunity to lead his teammates on the field. Here's hoping that he continues to make the most of it. Go, Charlie, and go, Steelers!

Crash
10-01-2010, 12:24 AM
I rest my case. :owned

Oviedo
10-01-2010, 08:07 AM
An article showing Batch as a decent person isn't anti-Ben. If you recall, Batch was the first person from the Steelers at the hospital when Ben had his accident and IIRC spent alot of time there with Ben's family. He is very active in the community doing positive things for the young people who live there.

Batch has been nothing but a positive in the local community since coming back home. He is a limited QB but for one more game I hope he plays lights out.

As I have said in the past Batch's opportunities are wide open after he leaves football. I could see him coaching or being part of management for the Steelers. I'll also go on record as saying I believe he will eventually run for political office to represent the Mon Valley.

feltdizz
10-01-2010, 08:13 AM

let it rest.

Slapstick
10-01-2010, 08:37 AM

Finally!!!

aggiebones
10-01-2010, 10:51 AM
slappy, that's what I was thinking.
I'd likely conceed a point to him if he'd actually shut up. Granted he's wrong 90% of the time, so it would be tough, but I'd do it to humor him if he'd stop blubbering about it.

feltdizz
10-01-2010, 11:23 AM
if the whole board said Crash was right about everything it wouldn't change a thing. he is a victim... and victims will always make sure the world knows they have been victimized. He

Crash
10-01-2010, 12:50 PM
An article showing Batch as a decent person isn't anti-Ben.

When the point of the article is to praise Batch because HE ISN'T LIKE the accused Ben?

That's a joke.

steelblood
10-01-2010, 01:42 PM

When the point of the article is to praise Batch because HE ISN'T LIKE the accused Ben?

That's a joke.

By his own admission, Ben has acted selfishly and immaturely. Sure his punishment was unfair. But, such is life. And, in the end, it won't really matter that much. We'll at least be 3-1, maybe 4-0. Ben should grow from this. It's all good. To all still on tilt, let the anger go. It will help with your social life and constipation.

SteelTorch
10-01-2010, 01:57 PM
By his own admission, Ben has acted selfishly and immaturely. Sure his punishment was unfair. But, such is life. And, in the end, it won't really matter that much. We'll at least be 3-1, maybe 4-0. Ben should grow from this. It's all good. To all still on tilt, let the anger go. It will help with your social life and constipation.
All true, but at the same time, this article feels like the writer wrote under the assumption that Ben does NOTHING beyond partying and getting in trouble. BB may not be much of a people person, and he acted unprofessionally, but he has done plenty of things to support his teammates and help out the community.

Oh well, at least Terry Bradshaw appears to have shut up for now.

Crash
10-01-2010, 02:04 PM
All true, but at the same time, this article feels like the writer wrote under the assumption that Ben does NOTHING beyond partying and getting in trouble. BB may not be much of a people person, and he acted unprofessionally, but he has done plenty of things to support his teammates and help out the community

Exactly. The one sided reporting of Ben "off the field" is the biggest farce of all.

Just yesterday, Ralph Cindrich, sports agent and Twitter legend (lol) was in a discussion about the Dez Bryant dinner tab.

Ralph mentioned that a Steelers rookie, couldn't afford to pay the tab his teammates left him.

Ben paid the bill for him.

Is that mentioned anywhere by media? No.

But all the alleged "Ben is a bad teammate" stories are, aren't they?

phillyesq
10-01-2010, 02:09 PM

That's a joke.

I'll likely regret jumping into this asinine discussion, but where, exactly, does the original article mention Ben? Surely you're not suggesting that any article lauding a player's off-field conduct is a swipe at Ben, are you?

Crash
10-01-2010, 02:24 PM

That's a joke.

I'll likely regret jumping into this asinine discussion, but where, exactly, does the original article mention Ben? Surely you're not suggesting that any article lauding a player's off-field conduct is a swipe at Ben, are you?

I'm saying the first, and last paragraphs of that article, are swipes at Ben while promoting the wholesome good guy image of Charlie Batch. A few posters left comments about Batch's 2001 case, and they were deleted.

You can take from that what you will.

Slapstick
10-01-2010, 02:32 PM
I'm saying the first, and last paragraphs of that article, are swipes at Ben while promoting the wholesome good guy image of Charlie Batch.

Congratulations! Crash, you have just become Ray Lewis...

Takeo Spikes and the Movies

The Ravens and Steelers may have set a record for trash-talking during the 2001 AFC Central race. One of their biggest arguments during that season centered on a player who wasn't on either team!

It all started with a seemingly inocuous comment by Steelers RB Jerome Bettis in a sports magazine about Bengals LB Takeo Spikes. Bettis said that he believed Spikes was as good a linebacker as Super Bowl MVP Ray Lewis for the Ravens; Spikes just didn't get as much attention because he didn't have as good a supporting cast.

Ray Lewis siezed on the apparent slight as motivation for the Ravens' upcoming game against Pittsburgh, which Bettis was expected to miss with a groin injury. “Jerome saying Takeo Spikes is better than me? Let's go find out. They have to come here in three, four days regardless of what's coming out of their mouths. Tell him to tape that groin up and come see me at PSINet.”

Bettis said he intended no offense. “I'm trying to compliment another guy. So he brings that into a Steelers story? I guess they're jumping on anything right now.”

But Lewis would have none of it, and he was annoyed by WR Plaxico Burress's talk of the Steelers physically beating the Ravens. “It kind of ticks you off. You want to just play football, but these guys want to trash talk,” Lewis said. “You talk about what Plaxico Burress said, you talk about what Jerome Bettis said, man, that's garbage.”

“I've always said you don't have to respect me, but don't ever disrespect me," Lewis continued. "For those guys to say what they're saying now, it's ignorant. They have a good defense this year. I'm not even going to say great. But we've been there, we've done this before. There's no person on this defense, first team or second team, that I would trade for any one of their starters.”

LB Joey Porter of the Steelers fired back. “That's good, cause we wouldn't take none of their guys neither!”

Ravens TE Shannon Sharpe likely had the most interesting quote of the entire ordeal when he offered his view of Bettis' comparison of Ray Lewis and Takeo Spikes.

“That's like saying Dude, Where's My Car? is just as good as Titanic. At some point in time, you've got to be realistic,” Sharpe said. “I don't mean no disrespect to Takeo, because Takeo Spikes is a great football player, but he's not Ray Lewis. Let's not fool ourselves.”

As it happened, the Ravens were scheduled to play the Bengals the week after they played the Steelers. Takeo Spikes was asked about Sharpe's comment and finally got to contribute to all the trash-talking: “OK, since he wants to be Siskel and Ebert and rate movies, I'll rate this movie. I see him as if he were the movie Bring It On. He's nothing but a cheerleader."

Sources:

David Ginsburg, AP, "Ray Lewis irked by comparison to Takeo Spikes," Dec. 13, 2001

Mark Curnette, Cincinnati Enquirer, "Stars' war of words," Dec. 20, 2001

A compliment given to Batch, which he deserves, is somehow a swipe at Ben?

Child, please...

feltdizz
10-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Crash should be an NFL coach. He is the master of making something out of nothing... reading between the lines and finding disrespectful taunts.

What the article "doesn't" say is exactly where Crash finds his evidence of racism and favoritism.

Charlie Batch - Integrity, Professionalism, Work Ethic

actually says...

F##K (white) Big Ben - No Integrity, No Professionalism, No Work Ethic

I think Crash has those They Live sunglasses like Roddy Piper.

Crash
10-01-2010, 02:42 PM

1. Why does Batch deserve it? Because he's from Pittsburgh?

If anything that article proves my point. Evil Ben from Ohio is ostracized, Pittsburgh Charlie who was accused of a crime MUCH WORSE is hailed as a hometown hero.

You can't honestly sit there and say that closing paragraph wasn't a swipe at Ben if you've been reading what's been going on around the web for two weeks.

Slapstick
10-01-2010, 02:43 PM

If anything that article proves my point. Evil Ben from Ohio is ostracized, Pittsburgh Charlie who was accused of a crime MUCH WORSE is hailed as a hometown hero.

You can't honestly sit there and say that closing paragraph wasn't a swipe at Ben if you've been reading what's been going on around the web for two weeks.

I can honestly sit here and say that if you are looking for a swipe at Ben, you are going to find one whether it actually exists or not...

hawaiiansteel
10-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Just yesterday, Ralph Cindrich, sports agent and Twitter legend (lol) was in a discussion about the Dez Bryant dinner tab.

Ralph mentioned that a Steelers rookie, couldn't afford to pay the tab his teammates left him.

out of curiosity, who was the Steelers' rookie who couldn't pay for the tab?

feltdizz
10-01-2010, 02:50 PM

Why does he deserve it? It's like the games don't even matter anymore. The guy had 3 TD passes and prior to that our O had 1 TD on offense.

you don't read articles.. you look at the words but in your mind they say something totally different.

Crash
10-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Ralph didn't say who the rook was.

feltdizz
10-01-2010, 02:52 PM

out of curiosity, who was the Steelers' rookie who couldn't pay for the tab?

Dinner tabs? Geez...

phillyesq
10-01-2010, 03:03 PM

That's a joke.

I'm saying the first, and last paragraphs of that article, are swipes at Ben while promoting the wholesome good guy image of Charlie Batch. A few posters left comments about Batch's 2001 case, and they were deleted.

Non-responsive.

Does the article mention Ben, even once?

Flasteel
10-01-2010, 03:11 PM

You do realize this "article" was written by someone named "Momma Rollett"...right? This is akin to going on to some message board and attacking someone's opinion for being one-sided or otherwise lacking in some twisted sense of professional journalism.

Take off the aluminum-foil hat Crash...don't you know what it does to your brain?

Alzheimer's Again
Linked To Aluminum
By Dr. John McDougall, MD
McDougall Wellness Center
5-25-3

Note - The high levels of aluminum in aerosols/chemtrails should be
a factor to consider when reading this article. -ed

In patients having Alzheimer's disease the brain is somewhat shrunken and, on postmortum examination, a definite loss of nervous tissue is noted. Examination of the brain tissues under a microscope reveals small bundles of material called senile plaques, scattered throughout the tissues. The more plaques that are present, the worse is the mental condition of the patient. Chemical analysis reveals the presence of the metal aluminum at the core of each plaque and within many of the cells found in the plaques. Evidence is accumulating to indicate that aluminum may be involved in the formation of the plaques, and it is therefore a prime suspect as the initial cause of the disease.

Five population studies now link Alzheimer's disease to aluminum in drinking water. As early as 1885, aluminum was shown to be toxic to the nervous tissues of animals. Aluminum can also produce a degeneration of the nervous tissues in cats and rabbits that resembles in some ways that seen in the brains of human patients with Alzheimer's disease. Patients with diseased kidneys accumulate large amounts of aluminum in their bodies from medications and from kidney-machine solutions that have been used until recently. This accumulation results in a severe mental deterioration.

Aluminum is the third most common element in the earth's crust. "Normal" dietary intake of aluminum is about 3 to 5 mg per day, of which only a very small amount is absorbed by the body's tissues. The aluminum to which we are exposed comes from many sources, and most of these are under our control. Dust, water, and even unprocessed foods contain aluminum that may be difficult to avoid. But aluminum in cosmetics, many medicines, food additives (for example, some brands of baking powders, and highly absorbable aluminum maltol used in instant chocolate mixes), cans, kitchenware, utensils, and the overuse of wearing aluminum-foil hats (most often associated with individuals who present signs of unfounded paranoia or other mental disorders) , can be easily avoided. A very popular antacid, Amphojel, consists of aluminum hydroxide.

Read more at: http://www.rense.com/general37/alum.htm

feltdizz
10-01-2010, 03:12 PM
momma rollett? But hey.. it is on the web so that means everyone feels this way.

Crash
10-01-2010, 03:14 PM
And Peter King claiming America is rooting for Batch?

That wasn't a swipe either right?

You guys are friggin' insane.

Open your eyes!

You know what? I'm done. I'll just sit here and laugh at you morons who can't see things for what they are.

Slapstick
10-01-2010, 03:23 PM

Open your eyes!

You know what? I'm done. I'll just sit here and laugh at you morons who can't see things for what they are.

Thanks!

hawaiiansteel
10-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Ralph didn't say who the rook was.

sounds like one of the lower drafted rooks who didn't get a big signing bonus.

feltdizz
10-01-2010, 04:00 PM

Open your eyes!

why are you screaming at us for what King said? Go scream at him....

you are the only one seeing these swipes... go ahead and laugh.

but if you are done... be done.

Captain Lemming
10-02-2010, 04:25 AM

Ignore him. Of course he is pro Batch. Peter King is showing his Afrocentric bias.
Peter King (nephew of ML King and cousin of Don King) is just part of the black media conspiracy who forced Goodell to suspend Ben. :)

Slapstick
10-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Holy threaditing, Batman!!!

Crash
10-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Bob Smizik today:

Bob Smizik's blog today:

Nobody asked me, but . . .

* Charlie Batch is the best individual feel-good story of the Steelers season, but not far behind is Doug Legursky, the undrafted free agent from Marshall who will start at right guard Sunday for the second straight game.

So I flat out asked him, the same will be said of Ben should he come back and torch defenses?

Like I said, if Batch was from Texas, nobody in Pittsburgh would care about him.

Slapstick
10-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Bob Smizik today:

Bob Smizik's blog today:

Nobody asked me, but . . .

* Charlie Batch is the best individual feel-good story of the Steelers season, but not far behind is Doug Legursky, the undrafted free agent from Marshall who will start at right guard Sunday for the second straight game.

So I flat out asked him, the same will be said of Ben should he come back and torch defenses?

Like I said, if Batch was from Texas, nobody in Pittsburgh would care about him.

Again, I have to disagree...

Tommy Maddox was from Texas and he was 2002's feel-good story of the year...

Crash
10-02-2010, 01:46 PM
If you asked Smizik what makes Batch a feel good story the first words out of his yap will be because Charlie's from Pittsburgh.

Chavezz
10-02-2010, 01:52 PM
I wish Charlie Batch was my Dad.

feltdizz
10-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Batch is from Pittsburgh... he was pretty much left for dead and had no reps in the preseason besides a fee snaps in the 4th qtr. He threw 3 TD's last game.... stop bashing him.

I thought you may have changed but once again you can't get over yourself. I hope the mods handle this soon because if Batch goes off tomorrow and we win I fear for your health.

Chavezz
10-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Batch is from Pittsburgh... he was pretty much left for dead and had no reps in the preseason besides a fee snaps in the 4th qtr. He threw 3 TD's last game.... stop bashing him.

I thought you may have changed but once again you can't get over yourself. I hope the mods handle this soon because if Batch goes off tomorrow and we win I fear for your health.

HINES WARD LOVES CHARLIE BATCH TOO!

Crash
10-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Batch is from Pittsburgh... he was pretty much left for dead and had no reps in the preseason besides a fee snaps in the 4th qtr. He threw 3 TD's last game.... stop bashing him

Learn to read. I'm not bashing Batch. I'm bashing the media for promoting, and hyping, the Good Batch vs. Evil Ben angle they are taking because Batch is a "hometown hero" while ignoring Charlie Batch's own history while condemning Ben for his.

RuthlessBurgher
07-01-2019, 10:27 AM
Charlie Batch recovering from bacterial infection, severe dehydration

Posted by Mike Florio on June 30, 2019, 8:25 PM EDT

Former NFL quarterback Charlie Batch recently had a health scare that put him in the hospital.

Via the Pittsburgh Tribune Review, Batch suffered from a bacterial infection and severe dehydration.

“I’m doing a little better,” Batch told the Tribune-Review via text on Sunday. “At home relaxing at this point. Glad the worse part is over.”

Batch had been keeping a busy schedule, including a trip to Mexico City to participate in a youth football camp.

A third-round pick and former starters with the Lions, Batch became a fixture in Pittsburgh as a backup quarterback for 11 seasons.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/30/charlie-batch-recovering-from-bacterial-infection-severe-dehydration/

Eich
07-01-2019, 11:01 AM
Funny reviving a 9 year old thread to post about Batch's illness!