PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on importance of turnovers.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-29-2010, 10:57 PM
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010 ... ref=sports (http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/quantifying-the-impact-of-turnovers-in-the-n-f-l/?ref=sports)

Not copying it into here because there's a table with tough formatting.

NJ-STEELER
09-30-2010, 02:48 AM
i believe i saw the rats near the bottom in turnover differential

SteelAbility
09-30-2010, 06:18 AM
Which is why we all knew that out D was overrated last year. They did their job on the "yards" front but way underperformed on the "opportunity points" front.

feltdizz
09-30-2010, 01:45 PM
Which is why we all knew that out D was overrated last year. They did their job on the "yards" front but way underperformed on the "opportunity points" front.
:Agree

grotonsteel
09-30-2010, 02:58 PM
:Agree

+1

Djfan
09-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Can't open that page at my work. Sum it up for me?

SteelAbility
09-30-2010, 11:17 PM
Can't open that page at my work. Sum it up for me?

The idea is that turnovers at various positions on the field are statistically worth points. A turnover when the other team is deep in your territory translates to some points prevented. A turnover in the other guys half of the field translates to points created (for your offense). The author looked at all of the turnovers created by the various defenses in the 2009 season and created a table of "total points either created or prevented by turnovers."

Even though the Steelers were #5 in yards allowed, they were near the bottom in this "points created/prevented" category. Last year the Saints were #1 in points created/prevented but were not that great in yardarge allowed.

So, basically, the D's ability to get turnovers has huge value, and is probably much more important than yards allowed.