PDA

View Full Version : Steelers will not put Dixon on IR

SteelCrazy
09-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Steelers | Won't put Dennis Dixon on IR
Comment (0)

Tue, 28 Sep 2010 12:31:03 -0700

Pittsburgh Steelers QB Dennis Dixon (knee) is expected to miss up to six weeks, but the team does not plan on putting him on the Injured Reserve list, according to The Associated Press.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/30/nfl#ixzz10yK8E1W7

steelblood
09-29-2010, 09:35 PM
No need to put him on IR now. But, when Ben comes back, one of the QBs needs to go. 4 QBs is too many.

phillyesq
09-29-2010, 10:01 PM
No need to put him on IR now. But, when Ben comes back, one of the QBs needs to go. 4 QBs is too many.

Which one should go? Batch has proven his worth, and is now the starter. The Steelers favored Leftwich over Dixon initially, and likely would still do so if both were healthy. That leaves Dixon as the logical odd man out. Putting him on IR avoids exposing him to waivers, and allows the Steelers to consider whether they want to bring him back in the offseason to continue his development as a backup qb.

hawaiiansteel
09-29-2010, 10:09 PM

Which one should go? Batch has proven his worth, and is now the starter. The Steelers favored Leftwich over Dixon initially, and likely would still do so if both were healthy. That leaves Dixon as the logical odd man out. Putting him on IR avoids exposing him to waivers, and allows the Steelers to consider whether they want to bring him back in the offseason to continue his development as a backup qb.

I agree, what if Leftwich and Batch suffer a career-threatening injury?

putting Dixon on IR would serve as an insurance policy...

aggiebones
09-29-2010, 11:09 PM
They cut Batch or Leftwich for 1 reason, neither will leave Pittsburgh as the season progresses.
If you IR Dixon, then you are down to 3 QBs. If you cut Batch or Lefty, then you have 4 in town. If you haven't noticed, they've been running with 4 QBs all season. Unless they've made up their mind that Dixon is gone for good, then you want him learning on the sidelines in the second half of the season.

As much as we're all thankful for Batch, I bet he is cut in 2 weeks. We'll finish with Lefty and Dixon behind Ben. Or Batch and Dixon, that part I don't know. But its not logical to IR Dixon. It will perturb his development. Just cut him if your gonna do that.

Crash
09-29-2010, 11:16 PM
Dixon is going to IR if Batch survives this week.

hawaiiansteel
09-29-2010, 11:48 PM
On the Steelers: Mendenhall sparks running game

Wednesday, September 29, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers' ground game, floundering for two years to the point that it took a presidential edict to go looking for it, has returned in a big way with Mendenhall blazing the trail. The halfback ranks fourth in the league with 332 yards rushing, and the Steelers are third in the NFL with an average of 150 per game.

They ranked 19th last season. They ranked 23rd the year before. They ranked lower only once in the past 40 years -- 31st in the disastrous Tommy Gun offense of 2003.

Steelers president Art Rooney saw enough that it prompted him to say, shortly after last season ended, that "We need to figure out how to get better running the football."

And, one more Rooney statement:

"We have to get back to being able to run the football when we need to run the football, and being able to run more consistently than we have in the past season."

When Rooney made those comments Jan. 14, he had no idea he would be without his No. 1 quarterback for the first four games this season, making the ground game more critical to the Steelers' success during that period.

The ground game Sunday in Tampa worked just the way Rooney verbally drew it up. The Steelers not only ran for 201 yards and averaged 6.3 yards per carry, they ran it when they needed to. Last season, they could not run to save their lives -- or victories -- when they had to in the second half. It was part of the reason they blew five fourth-quarter leads in games that ended in losses for them.

With a 28-6 halftime lead in Tampa, the Steelers went into their turtle offense. Charlie Batch threw three passes in the second half, and the Steelers ran 20 times to run out the clock and coast to a 38-13 victory.

Coach Mike Tomlin acknowledged the ground game's success in Tampa, but would not commit to it as the way to win.

"I was excited that it produced in the manner it did Sunday. Every week is different. We're trying to do the very best we can to win football games and we acknowledge that week to week that may change."

Who knows how things might change when Ben Roethlisberger returns for the fifth game. He became the first in team history to top 4,000 yards passing last season, and his return might unleash the passing game again.

With Mendenhall, the Steelers have another legitimate threat besides Roethlisberger's arm. He ran through safety Sean Lewis on the way to his 3-yard touchdown in the Tampa heat the way Jerome Bettis ran through Chicago's Brian Urlacher in the snow.

The danger for the Steelers is if they lose him. The pedigrees behind Mendenhall are not strong ones. Mewelde Moore has shown he can do the job in the short term, but has never been a feature back. Undrafted Isaac Redman is in his second season, and rookie Jonathan Dwyer, drafted in the sixth round, has not dressed for a game yet.

That did not stop Tomlin from continuing to run Mendenhall deep into the game Sunday, his last carry coming with fewer than seven minutes left and the Steelers holding a 38-6 lead.

It's not 18 games yet, but it is a long season and, the way it is shaping up, Mendenhall has returned the Steelers' ground game to its historical effectiveness. They just cannot afford to lose him.

No surprise; Batch will start
In case there was doubt, Tomlin said Charlie Batch will make his second consecutive start at quarterback Sunday when the Steelers play the Baltimore Ravens at Heinz Field.

Batch led the Steelers to the victory in Tampa against the Buccaneers, throwing three touchdown passes. He ran his record as a starter with the Steelers to 4-1.

Tomlin said Byron Leftwich is healthy enough to play and will resume his role as the only backup Sunday.

Chris Hoke, who sprained the MCL in his right knee near the end of the game against Tampa Bay, might be able to play this week, Tomlin said.

The coach listed four other injuries: Offensive guard Trai Essex (ankle sprain), who missed the game in Tampa, reserve safety Will Allen (ankle sprain), backup defensive end Ziggy Hood (ankle sprain) and special-team ace Anthony Madison (hamstring).

He thought Essex might return and the other three should play. He would not commit, however, to returning Essex to right guard, where he started last season and in the first two games before his injury. Tomlin said he liked how Doug Legursky played the position in Essex's absence.

"I thought he represented himself very well. I think that's one of the reasons Trai's feeling better."

Dixon remains for now

The Steelers have no plans to place quarterback Dennis Dixon, who had surgery to repair a torn lateral meniscus last Wednesday, on injured reserve this week. When Roethlisberger returns, however, they will have to make room for him on their 53-man roster and are not likely to keep four quarterbacks.

"They say from four to six weeks, but every time it's different," Tomlin said of the length of time Dixon is expected to miss. "We're hopeful he's going to get back to us quickly."

Putting him on injured reserve, "depends on how games go," Tomlin said.

"I never look too far ahead in terms of some of those kinds of decisions. We've got to play a game this week. Injuries are a part of football. You never know. You just don't."

For more on the Steelers, read the blog, Ed Bouchette On the Steelers at http://www.po

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10272/10 ... z10yt4Zmhx (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10272/1091064-66.stm#ixzz10yt4Zmhx)

fordfixer
09-30-2010, 12:16 AM
'Quick healer' Dixon returns to Steelers' locker room
By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, September 30, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 01970.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_701970.html)

Exactly a week after undergoing surgery on his left knee, Steelers quarterback Dennis Dixon was back in the locker room Wednesday. "Everybody is fascinated that I'm walking around," said Dixon, who suffered a torn meniscus Sept 19 at Tennessee. "I see myself as a quick healer."

Dixon worked out on his own during yesterday's practice. While he isn't ready to participate in team drills, he thinks he'll be able to return to practice sooner than expected. "They're saying 3-4 (weeks), but I don't think it's going to be that way," Dixon said. "I'm ahead of schedule, according to doctors. I could see myself being ready after probably the bye week maybe."

G Trai Essex, who missed Sunday's game at Tampa Bay because of a sprained ankle, didn't practice Wednesday. NT Chris Hoke (knee) also didn't practice.

S Ryan Clark expects to face Baltimore running back Ray Rice despite Rice suffering a bruised knee against Cleveland. Rice didn't practice yesterday. "Any time you throw out words like contusion and bruise, you know he's going to play," Clark said.

Baltimore T Jared Gaither, out with a disk injury, practiced yesterday for the first time since Aug. 5. Gaither did not play in any preseason or regular season games. Ravens DE Cory Redding (concussion) and OL Tony Moll did not practice.

Speed and conditioning guru Tom Shaw, who trains LB James Farrior, CB Ike Taylor, CB William Gay and CB Bryant McFadden during the offseason, attended yesterday's practice.

Oviedo
09-30-2010, 07:56 AM

I hope so. If Batch doesn't get hurt then it makes no sense whatsoever to have Dixon around. He would just be a waste of a roster space. Even if Batch did get hurt and could be back in a couple of weeks he is far more valuable than Dixon.

steelblood
09-30-2010, 08:01 AM

I hope so. If Batch doesn't get hurt then it makes no sense whatsoever to have Dixon around. He would just be a waste of a roster space. Even if Batch did get hurt and could be back in a couple of weeks he is far more valuable than Dixon.

I'm not sure I understand your position on Dixon.

:wink:

Oviedo
09-30-2010, 08:24 AM

I'm not sure I understand your position on Dixon.

:wink:

No thank you as far as Dixon is concerned this year. :wink: I'd rather have them activaye McLendon off the PS and rest Hoke with that roster spot.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-30-2010, 09:29 AM
There would go my gut feeling out the window. I thought that was an easy solution to put Dixon on IR. They won't carry 4 QBs so it will be interesting to see what happens. Dixon on IR made the most sense. They will go out of the way to keep him on the 53 now. Batch has a solid game against the Ravens...Does that make Lefty the odd man out? I don't think so but I also find it difficult for them to cut Batch. I have no idea which way this is headed.

Oviedo
09-30-2010, 09:34 AM
There would go my gut feeling out the window. I thought that was an easy solution to put Dixon on IR. They won't carry 4 QBs so it will be interesting to see what happens. Dixon on IR made the most sense. They will go out of the way to keep him on the 53 now. Batch has a solid game against the Ravens...Does that make Lefty the odd man out? I don't think so but I also find it difficult for them to cut Batch. I have no idea which way this is headed.

Eventually, I think Dixon goes on IR. May just be a timing thing.

RuthlessBurgher
09-30-2010, 10:21 AM

I think so too. I think they are waiting until after the Ravens game to put Dixon on I.R. What happens if you place Dixon (who might be able to play again shortly after the bye) on I.R. today, and Batch blows out his ACL against Baltimore, then you are down to just Ben and Byron. I think if Charlie gets through this weekend unscathed, then they will I.R. Dixon and roll with Ben, Byron, and Charlie for the rest of the year. If Batch gets hurt, then they will have the option of having Ben, Byron, and Dennis for the rest of the year.

aggiebones
09-30-2010, 11:05 AM
I don't get the logic here from some of you (nothing new)?

Why keep Batch and Lefty? Neither are in long term plans. You cut one, however difficult it is. Dixon is the younger backup. You want him on the sideline gaining a mentality of being ready to play.
I don't think much of Dixon frankly, but your options are to keep him active or cut him. Period. If you think he's the future backup, then he needs to be there in pads.
Why on earth would you need Ben, Batch AND Lefty on the bench.

First, if you cut Batch, he's gonna linger around the Steelers in case someone gets hurt again. NO other team in the league will pick him up. He's of no value to another team. So if Ben were to get hurt, then you might bring him back. But even then, they'd likely just go with Lefty and Dixon til Ben comes back.
It could be a flip for Lefty to be cut, if they prefer that way and keep Batch and Dixon, but Dixon goes nowhere.
They aren't trying to PAY 4 QBs. Then don't need 4 QBs. I'd keep Batch myself, but I have a feeling they made promises to Lefty and Batch was just lucky to get in there frankly.

As unfair as it may seem to some, Batch or Lefty will be cut and I hope its Lefty.

Oviedo
09-30-2010, 11:31 AM

Why keep Batch and Lefty? Neither are in long term plans. You cut one, however difficult it is. Dixon is the younger backup. You want him on the sideline gaining a mentality of being ready to play.
I don't think much of Dixon frankly, but your options are to keep him active or cut him. Period. If you think he's the future backup, then he needs to be there in pads.

First, if you cut Batch, he's gonna linger around the Steelers in case someone gets hurt again. NO other team in the league will pick him up. He's of no value to another team. So if Ben were to get hurt, then you might bring him back. But even then, they'd likely just go with Lefty and Dixon til Ben comes back.
It could be a flip for Lefty to be cut, if they prefer that way and keep Batch and Dixon, but Dixon goes nowhere.
They aren't trying to PAY 4 QBs. Then don't need 4 QBs. I'd keep Batch myself, but I have a feeling they made promises to Lefty and Batch was just lucky to get in there frankly.

As unfair as it may seem to some, Batch or Lefty will be cut and I hope its Lefty.

Lefty is a good 5 year back up so I would disagree that he isn't in the long term plans. To the contrary I think he will be the primary back up for several more years which is why Dixon has limited value. I don't think the team ever envisions him to be anything more than a back up (at this point #3) which they can get in the draft or off waivers pretty easy.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-30-2010, 11:44 AM

The Steelers are on the hook for Lefty & Batch no matter if they are on the 53 or not. It isn't a money issue. Comes down to a roster spot. Looks like the Steelers feel they could go against the Ravens with 5 DL. What Ruth said makes the most sense.

aggiebones
09-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Like I said, if he's not in long term plans then just cut him (Dixon).

I don't know what's going on in their heads in the front office regarding this, noone does. If they are done with him, then cut him keep Batch/Lefty and draft someone to replace Batch in the next draft. But no sense in IRing him. It doesn't help you by keeping him.

If he is in their plans as the no.2 backup, which I 'believe' he is by the body language of the front office, then he gets back on the sidelines in 4-6 weeks. And you put Batch up in a nice hotel nearby in case.
Frankly, they have gone with only 2 QBs a few times in the past. With Ben back, they may even just do that.

I'd favor going with Ben and Dixon active with Randle El as 3rd option if desperate in a game. Then if either Ben or Dixon gets hurt, call up Batch or Lefty, whoever is available. Most likely both will be available as noone needs either of them. Sign someone else to that loose spot instead of an old 3rd string QB.

ikestops85
09-30-2010, 11:50 AM

I think so too. I think they are waiting until after the Ravens game to put Dixon on I.R. What happens if you place Dixon (who might be able to play again shortly after the bye) on I.R. today, and Batch blows out his ACL against Baltimore, then you are down to just Ben and Byron. I think if Charlie gets through this weekend unscathed, then they will I.R. Dixon and roll with Ben, Byron, and Charlie for the rest of the year. If Batch gets hurt, then they will have the option of having Ben, Byron, and Dennis for the rest of the year.

I think you've hit that nail on the head. They don't want to do anything until they get through the next game. If we come through the game with all QBs healthy Dixon goes on IR. If one gets hurt bad he goes on IR and Dixon stays on the roster.

I think the real question would be what happens if Batch twists an ankle that puts him out for a couple/few weeks?