PDA

View Full Version : No Big Ben, No Problem

SteelCrazy
09-29-2010, 09:03 PM
http://www.sportshaze.com/2010-pittsbur ... o-problem/ (http://www.sportshaze.com/2010-pittsburgh-steelers-no-big-ben-no-problem/)

Let’s take a step back to land before regular season NFL, shall we? Back, way way back to the summer headlines. Brett Favre retired, again. Brett Favre un-retired, again. People hate Brett Favre, again. Ben Roethlisberger puts his hands where they don’t belong and are unwanted. Ben Roethlisberger pays for his excursions in college bars in the form of a four-game suspension. Steelers fans across the nation, literally across the nation, collectively howl, “How can we survive the first four games of the NFL season without Big Ben?”

Now climb in your mental time machine whether it be a phone booth, a DeLorean DMC-12, a train pushing a DeLorean DMC-12 or a worm hole (if you’re a nerd) and come back to the present. The NFL regular season is three weeks in and the Pittsburgh Big Benless Steelers are 3-0 and sitting on top of one of the toughest divisions in the league, the AFC North. Who would have thunk it?

Fans of the Bengals, Browns and Ravens, who were overjoyed when they first heard the news of Roethlisberger’s suspension, are staring at their televisions blankly on Mondays when SportsCenter recaps Sunday’s games.

“How did they do this?,” they’ve asked.

This is how. Pay attention now, I don’t want to lose you. They are the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Pittsburgh Steelers win. I don’t care if you love them or you hate them or that you hate that you love them, you can’t argue with their results. Every week a typical Steelers defense buries opposing running backs deep behind their own lines and make quarterbacks run like they’re running from a horde of zombified spiders. They take the best and brightest offensive stars, chew them up and when they are spit out, they look like rookies. If they can hold electrifying Tennessee Titans running back Chris Johnson to 34 yards on 16 carries, then they can do it to anybody.

Counter-arguments can be made. It could be argued that the first three foes that the Steelers faced were of a lesser pedigree than the typical post season Colts and Patriots (the Atlanta Falcons, the first of the Steelers victims, is currently ranked fifth in ESPN’s week four power rankings. Pittsburgh is first). It could be argued that Pittsburgh has always relied mostly on their running game and defense, like a typical AFC North team would, and the loss of Roethlisberger was no big hit because he could be replaced by any trained circus animal that can hand the ball to somebody else and manage a clock.

Now I’m reaching.

Perhaps I think the best argument is this: the Pittsburgh Steelers are just that good and when Roethlisberger returns, they’ll be that much better. Scary isn’t it? After all, there’s really no question that Roethlisberger is better at his job than Dennis Dixon or Charlie Batch are. He’s better at his job than most others. Love him or hate him, it’s true. When he returns, the Steelers will transform from an F-4 hurricane to the finger of God. Too dramatic?

This week the Steelers open their AFC North schedule with the team that most predicted to win the division, the Baltimore Ravens who already find themselves in a hole after losing to the Cincinnati Bengals. Can the Roethlisberless Steelers give him the ultimate “welcome home” gift – a 4-0 team or will the Steelers finally show that they miss their field general against a very worthy adversary?

The AFC North hangs in the balance.

Crash
09-30-2010, 08:57 PM
The AFC North hangs in the balance when we go to Miami, NO, Cincy, and home to the Pats in a 4 week stretch.

2-2 there, we win the North.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Gosh, I just love this game!

SteelCrazy
09-30-2010, 09:32 PM
The AFC North hangs in the balance when we go to Miami, NO, Cincy, and home to the Pats in a 4 week stretch.

one of the losses must not be to Cincy.............

Sugar
09-30-2010, 09:39 PM

Yeah, I soooo want to beat the Bengals this year. The bandwagon fans of theirs keep talking about last years sweep and that just needs to be over and done with post-haste!

:bungalssuck

SteelCrazy
09-30-2010, 09:48 PM

Yeah, I soooo want to beat the Bengals this year. The bandwagon fans of theirs keep talking about last years sweep and that just needs to be over and done with post-haste!

:Agree
and