PDA

View Full Version : Music...what's playing at your place?

kiwi_sarah
09-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Ok dudes, I know a lot of you here have great taste in music (if you like Justin Beiber I'll still love you as a Steeler's fan, just with a little less respect)....so....let's get into it, whatcha listening to at the moment?

This week I've been playing the new Linkin Park album a lot - I know there are mixed feelings on this one out there on the interwebs but I dig it. "When They Come For Me" (NSFW) is my football song for the year. Gets me revved up for games.....you need a little extra help at 4am sometimes. It's a great album to blast while on the treadmill too.

[youtube:3ilvbhid]ZEShIn_fyLM?fs[/youtube:3ilvbhid]

I've also been playing the new Stone Sour album a bunch. Love it.

[youtube:3ilvbhid]eEn-nTkbEM0?fs[/youtube:3ilvbhid]

RuthlessBurgher
09-29-2010, 11:14 PM
I've got the Foo Fighters Greatest Hits CD going. Good stuff. The song order they chose is interesting, as they go directly from the intensity of "Monkey Wrench" right into the significantly more tame "Big Me" but I guess that obvious disparity shows that band's range. Got into this band shortly after seeing them as an opening act at a Red Hot Chili Peppers show back in the day. Dave Grohl ventured off stage and sang as he went all throughout the audience, which was pretty cool. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to see them again since they have become headliners (with a 9 year old and a 5 year old, I think the last concert I attended was probably the Wiggles, who are from your corner of the globe...or more specifically from Chadman's, I suppose). Speaking of musical acts from your neck of the woods, I had to chuckle when I saw the New Zealand tourism poster du jour in Murray Hewitt's office on an episode of "Flight of the Conchords" last night. I'd like to see those guys in concert (that kind of stupid humor is right up my alley), but I doubt that it will ever happen, because my wife thinks that is just about the dumbest show ever. But you never know...she's not a big Python fan like me, but she did get me tickets to see Spamalot when it first opened on Broadway and the cast included Tim Curry, Hank Azaria, and David Hyde Pierce.

flippy
09-30-2010, 08:03 AM
I was just listening to 30 Seconds to Mars - The Kill.

Jared Leto makes me nostalgic for Pittsburgh. Anyone remember the show "My So Called Life" he was on with Claire Daines? It supposedly took place in a high school in Pittsburgh, although they called the town Three Rivers, Pa. It was one of the best teenage shows ever done. But it was way ahead of it's time so it got canceled. Every time my wife catches me listening to 30 Seconds to Mars, she comments about Jared being Jordan Catalano.

The last few songs on my iPod were:

Bombs Over Baghdad - Outkast
Youth Gone Wild - Skid Row
Popular - Kristen Chenoweth
Mr Brownstone - GNR
Sailing - Christopher Cross
Kick Start My Heart - Motley Crue
Human Nature - MJ
Airplanes - BoB and Haley Williams
Use Somebody - KoL
Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen

Count me in the Justin Beiber camp. JB's uber talented. Probably the best young male performer since MJ and Justin Timberlake. Too bad it isn't cool to admit liking him. He's one of those long line of acts that everyone loves but no one other than a young girl will admit.

I like almost all genres of music except country. I just can't get into it.

RuthlessBurgher
09-30-2010, 01:50 PM
I seriously have no idea what Justin Bieber sings. All I know of him is a haircut, because that is who gets referenced when people make fun of Brady's new 'do.

kiwi_sarah
09-30-2010, 03:51 PM
I'll have to look out the Foo Fighters best of.....I think I have all their other albums. It took me a long time to warm up to the Foo lol I think that silly mentos inspired video was the first thing of theirs I ever saw and it gave me this "they're just goofy, not a real band" impression. I watched....um....I think it was a VH1 Storytellers recently, and I was impressed.

I love 30 Seconds to Mars Flippy! They were here in NZ recently but unfortunately traveling to see them was out of the question. I liked Jared Leto as an actor, totally dig him as a frontman, great voice.....great sing-along rock. "The Kill" is a firm favourite on my "heartbreak" playlist!

Ugh @ Bieber. The kid was (is I guess) talented when he was on YouTube and stuff. He can play any instrument known to man. I would have rather seen him....you know....struggle a little - work at it....play live gigs, find his sound and his voice....he could have been amazing. The bubblegum, manufactured pop thing does nothing for me and I must be getting old because I'm a little concerned at his lack of education lol

I have a friend who is BIG TIME into Flight of the Conchords. They don't really do that many shows at home here in NZ anymore, but there was a time you could go see them for $10 and they'd perform all the (much funnier) songs they used in season one. New Zealand used to be known for the Haka, Kiwifruit and Sheep - now the references are more likely to involve hobbits or FOTC.

Speaking of New Zealand....anyone remember Crowded House? They were probably our biggest import onto the world music stage....I've seen Neil Finn in concert a few times, most recently sharing the stage with Pearl Jam (he's best friend's with Eddie Vedder) and though I don't go out of my way to listen to their music, I love it. "Don't dream it's over" might be their most well known song I think....but I love this one...
[youtube:x8yvaz32]82JZh3VyE2M?fs=1[/youtube:x8yvaz32]

eniparadoxgma
09-30-2010, 04:22 PM
I've been listening to Big Boi's new album, Mayer Hawthorne's A Strange Arrangement, and this new Cee Lo song NSFW BAD LANGUAGE BLAH BLAH BLAH:

[youtube:xm6guaaw]pc0mxOXbWIU[/youtube:xm6guaaw]

eniparadoxgma
09-30-2010, 04:22 PM
And a lot of Colin Hay.

flippy
09-30-2010, 04:34 PM
I seriously have no idea what Justin Bieber sings. All I know of him is a haircut, because that is who gets referenced when people make fun of Brady's new 'do.

He sings cheesy pop you can't get out of your head. His music is annoying, but the kid's super talented. His voice is pure. He plays piano, guitar, drums, etc. And the kid's got charm and seems innocent. It'll be interesting to see what he does as he grows up.

flippy
09-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Speaking of New Zealand....anyone remember Crowded House?

I remember the song Something So Strong. Their happiness in that video always cracked me up.

flippy
09-30-2010, 04:42 PM
[quote="eniparadoxgma"]I've been listening to Big Boi's new album[/quote

Big Boi without Andre3000 is like Peanut Butter without Jelly.

flippy
09-30-2010, 04:47 PM
And a lot of Colin Hay.

[youtube:o42v9c12]MeG-hNXXy6I[/youtube:o42v9c12]

kiwi_sarah
09-30-2010, 05:41 PM
And a lot of Colin Hay.

*sighs pensively and nods*

[youtube:o6fovzwi]m4tcRlHY-3Q?fs=1[/youtube:o6fovzwi]

frankthetank1
10-03-2010, 12:22 AM
I've been listening to Big Boi's new album[/quote

Big Boi without Andre3000 is like Peanut Butter without Jelly.

i havent heard big boi's new album yet but i have always liked big boi a lot more than that freak andre. i dont listen to much new music especially new outkast. they have been on a steady decline for a while. its hard when you start out with an amazing first album and atliens was almost as good but after that was nothing but dissapointing cd's.

Shawn
10-06-2010, 08:00 PM
I like alot of stuff from a little while back. I'm a big Fugees, Staind, and Everlast fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVJAz0XT8I4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqZhyZSLik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22hvEdaPSMs

kiwi_sarah
10-08-2010, 08:20 PM
I love Staind and Everlast, he had a song on the End of Days soundtrack (terrible movie, great soundtrack) that's one of my faves. It's pretty high on my list of "sing along in the shower" songs lol
[youtube:1u7t6wkg]HHnlThHRvUU?fs=1[/youtube:1u7t6wkg]

Discipline of Steel
10-08-2010, 09:08 PM
If your in my car, its Tool, Rage, or techno cause i can blare it loud. At home, i just put the radio on light hits and recover from the chaos.

kiwi_sarah
10-08-2010, 09:15 PM
If your in my car, its Tool, Rage, or techno cause i can blare it loud. At home, i just put the radio on light hits and recover from the chaos.

Can I please be in your car?

I'll put the radio on an easy listening station sometimes, but more often than not it's something heavier....even while I'm doing girly crafty stuff. I might be the only person in the world crocheting a scarf while she listens to Slipknot, but I'm ok with that. When I'm home alone like today, I have to have something on the whole time....the only time I don't is when I'm reading.

AngryAsian
10-09-2010, 03:46 AM
I really haven't enjoyed a great number of offerings by any current artists... with a couple of exceptions. Some Asian Ipod offerings...off the top of my head:

The Revolting Cocks
Everclear
Stone Temple Pilots
The Sisters of Mercy
The Mission UK
The Temptations
Smokey Robinson
Linkin Park
Disturbed
Monster Magnet
Nirvana
Bush
Big Country
The Cure
Smashing Pumpkins
Audioslave
Clan of Xymox
Led Zepplin
Front 242
Ministry
Nine Inch Nails
Skinny Puppy
Stabbing Westward
Godsmack
The Doors
The Smiths
Big Audio Dynamite
Jesus Jones
Nickelback

... can't really think at this time of night. I will say this... probably my all time favorite band is The Cult. I think Ian Astbury was/is a bada$$.... and next to Chris Cornell, is probably my all time favorite Rock Crooner.

More to yap about this subject later....

Discipline of Steel
10-09-2010, 09:45 AM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":3opkn1hd]If your in my car, its Tool, Rage, or techno cause i can blare it loud. At home, i just put the radio on light hits and recover from the chaos.

Can I please be in your car?

I'll put the radio on an easy listening station sometimes, but more often than not it's something heavier....even while I'm doing girly crafty stuff. I might be the only person in the world crocheting a scarf while she listens to Slipknot, but I'm ok with that. When I'm home alone like today, I have to have something on the whole time....the only time I don't is when I'm reading.[/quote:3opkn1hd]

Sure! Its a nice long drive to Key West. We can listen to Tool the whole way...LOL The lyrics can be a bit depressing but the energy of the music way more than makes up for it.

My roommate in college used to take naps to AC/DC.

kiwi_sarah
10-10-2010, 04:59 PM
I could listen to your iPod quite happily Asian. I love Bush! (yeah yeah, I know) they got so much flack for being Pearl Jam wannabes....but I never saw the connection. 'Letting the Cables Sleep' is one of my all time fave songs.

DOS - I don't "get" the AC/DC thing. They just never did it for me. Being downunder that puts me in a tiny minority, but they're the one band that play a LOT on the rock stations here that I'll switch off. I used to always sleep with music playing though...falling asleep to Pink Floyd guarantees some interesting dreams!

Chadman
10-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Call me Captain Eclectic, but my Ipod has the widest range I've seen from the people I know-

Grandmaster Flash
2Pac
John Lennon
Rolling Stones
Cream
Sting
Harry Connick Jnr
INXS
Beatles
Rob Zombie
The Clash
The Who
Big Audio Dynamite- nice one Asian
Kelis
Rage Against The Machine
Smashing Pumpkins
Cold Chisel
Jimmy Barnes
Johnny Deisel
Crowded House
Cranberries
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Fortunate One at FULL BLAST!
Lenny Kravitz- Are You gonna Go My way- AT FULL BLAST!!!

that's all I can think of at this point...

kiwi_sarah
10-10-2010, 09:10 PM
omg Chad, I had to google to see if Johnny Diesel was who I thought he might be....I loveddddddddd that 'Tip of my Tongue' song but he was just called "Diesel" then wasn't he? I had SUCH a crush! (when I was like, 10 years old for the record lol)

Chadman
10-10-2010, 11:03 PM
omg Chad, I had to google to see if Johnny Diesel was who I thought he might be....I loveddddddddd that 'Tip of my Tongue' song but he was just called "Diesel" then wasn't he? I had SUCH a crush! (when I was like, 10 years old for the record lol)

yeah, Deisel, Johnny Deisel, Johnny Deisel & the Injectors & Marc Lizotte- all the same guy!

Ghost
11-02-2010, 09:13 AM
The bands most played in my car:

Huge fan of the Foo Fighters (once saw them in a duel headliner show with Weezer!)

Social Distortion - to me one of the greatest bands of all time! I love them.

Pearl Jam - another favorite.

AC/DC - Live. "Angus!Angus!"

Ramones - saw them in '86 in the basement of the Syria Mosque that was torn down. Could have reached out and touched Joey.

And randomly - the last song I put on my Nano - Crystal Method - "Roadhouse Blues"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_cpnrtmK5A

steelblood
11-02-2010, 10:34 AM
I like some weird stuff...

Poster Children
Okkervil River
The Antlers
Stereolab
Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Brian Jonestown Massacre
Low
The Dirty Three