PDA

View Full Version : Going into a bye week, don't people leave town right away?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-29-2010, 07:33 AM
Ben is eligible to come back right after the Ravens game, but will anyone be around? I wonder if Tomlin will adjust the off week schedule to work Ben back into the team right away. I'd think that might be resented a bit by the players ...

flippy
09-29-2010, 07:50 AM
Many players might look at it as their future contracts and success are tied to the success of Ben. So they'll be happy doing what they need to do for the good of Ben and the team.

Just some old farts like Hines that may not have a contract in their future may not care so much. But winning another SuperBowl helps even Hines' legacy.

Oviedo
09-29-2010, 08:03 AM
Many players might look at it as their future contracts and success are tied to the success of Ben. So they'll be happy doing what they need to do for the good of Ben and the team.

Just some old farts like Hines that may not have a contract in their future may not care so much. But winning another SuperBowl helps even Hines' legacy.

:Agree Tomlin was asked about the bye week and he didn't say anything one way or the other. he intimated he may do something different.

We are getting the bye after the 4th game. That is pretty early and its not like the players have gotten too beaten up. I could see them asking certain players to stick around, i.e. practice squad or rookie WRs to give Ben someone to work with.

The reality is as Ben goes so goes this team starting with game #5. It is much more in the interest of them to get Ben ready than to lay on South Beach.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-29-2010, 09:02 AM
I'd think that might be resented a bit by the players ...

This is not the first time that he will see everyone since the alleged incident...and fallout. He was with the team in training camp, showed up with his O-linemen in clown cars, hung around, joked around, addressed the team, and cleared the air.

I don't think that resentment will be a factor.

Oviedo
09-29-2010, 09:52 AM
I'd think that might be resented a bit by the players ...

This is not the first time that he will see everyone since the alleged incident...and fallout. He was with the team in training camp, showed up with his O-linemen in clown cars, hung around, joked around, addressed the team, and cleared the air.

I don't think that resentment will be a factor.

:Agree I don't think they will resent making the play offs and winning the Super Bowl at all. Remember they get extra money for play off games. They need Ben to get them there. What would you do?

Slapstick
09-29-2010, 11:04 AM
My understanding is that NFL teams do not simply give players the week off...

I do think that the team normally foregoes the standard film review and meetings that take place on Monday and Tuesday, but the team returns for a regular Wed.-Thurs.-Fri. practice week...

In order to get Ben as ready to play as possible, I can see the Steelers scheduling joint practices/controlled scrimmages with another team...

Miami, New England and Seattle share Pittsburgh's bye week...the Steelers play both Miami and New England later in the season, so they're out...but, Seattle OC Jeremy Bates worked with Tomlin in Tampa...that may mean something...

I think spending the travel expenses to help Ben get acclimated to the offense by practicing against a different team would be a smart move, if it could be done...

The *s and the Saints had joint training camp practices earlier this year...

The last time I can recall the Steelers planning such a thing was when Cowher was HC...in 2001, the Steelers had bye week practices scheduled with Jim Haslett's Saints...9/11 happened and canceled those plans...

Oviedo
09-29-2010, 11:39 AM
I don't see any team in the NFL helping us get Ben ready. I'm sure you were being sarcastic. At least I hope so.

RuthlessBurgher
09-29-2010, 12:20 PM
I don't see any team in the NFL helping us get Ben ready. I'm sure you were being sarcastic. At least I hope so.

Yeah, I remember us doing joint practices and scrimmages with the Pre-Snyder Redskins in the past during training camp, but I've never heard of any team having a joint practice with another team during the actual season.

aggiebones
09-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Surely not Seattle. We may have forgotten who we beat in that SB, but they have not forgotten that game, I assure you.

We'll probably due the normal bye week stuff. They probably get more time away on the weekend since no game. But I imagine most of the midweek stuff stays routine. Maybe less stress, but they'll likely hang around. Maybe the starting defensive players get more time off and they deserve it. Our backups are as good as most starting Ds, so Ben can practice against them. :)

RuthlessBurgher
09-29-2010, 12:30 PM
I think we may practice Wed (6), Thurs (7), Fri (8)...likely some general "tightening up some of the screws" practices, then give the players a 4 day weekend off from Sat-Tues before starting up practice again on Wed (13), Thurs (14), Fri (15) to prepare specifically for the Browns that weekend.

Oviedo
09-29-2010, 12:36 PM
I think we may practice Wed (6), Thurs (7), Fri (8)...likely some general "tightening up some of the screws" practices, then give the players a 4 day weekend off from Sat-Tues before starting up practice again on Wed (13), Thurs (14), Fri (15) to prepare specifically for the Browns that weekend.

Do you think they are going to need to be reminded about what happened last year in Cleveland?????

Let's hope we win this weekend but lets also hope they don't start feeling their oats!!!!!

sentinel33
09-29-2010, 12:44 PM
i could see the team staying mon. - wed. and then being relased and back on mon. Ben was sharp in the preseason. Our opponent coming out of the bye is the Clowneys and we certainly dont want to underestimate them-But seriously.
Plus we have a pretty good record when we are given more than one week to prepare for a team. It will be a good break-in game for Ben. Shake the cobwebs off and get him acclimated to the speed of the game before we start playing some more heavy hitters.

phillyesq
09-29-2010, 01:04 PM
The team played a few games in some serious heat. Regardless of what happens with Baltimore, the players, especially the defense, have earned a few days off.

I'd like to see some practice squad receivers and a few others, maybe the rookies, stick around to enable Ben to get in some extra work, but the team has earned a few days off.

Slapstick
09-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Surely not Seattle. We may have forgotten who we beat in that SB, but they have not forgotten that game, I assure you.

Really?

How many players from that 2005 team are still on the roster?

How many coaches are still coaching?

Who is the GM now?

feltdizz
09-29-2010, 02:44 PM
scrimmages during the season? :wft

I have never heard of that.