PDA

View Full Version : Refocused, hungrier Roethlisberger prepares for return to St

siss
09-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Refocused, hungrier Roethlisberger prepares for return to Steelers
Sports Illustrated
Peter King

A week from now, one of the big stories in the league -- maybe the biggest story in the league -- will be Ben Roethlisberger returning to the Steelers after his four-week suspension. What kind of mood will Roethlisberger will be in? Will he be humbled, chastened? And in a football sense, will he be ready to return after the Steelers' bye week to resume his starting role on a Super Bowl contender?

George Whitfield, a quarterback coach from San Diego, was hired by Roethlisberger's agent, Ryan Tollner, to work privately with Roethlisberger for his four weeks away from the Steelers. Whitfield commutes from California each week and tries to simulate a regular Wednesday-Thursday-Friday practice week at a high school in Pittsburgh. Sometimes Roethlisberger throws to the likes of former NFLer Devard Darling, who lives in the area, and sometimes he uses high school kids. Whitfield puts Roethlisberger through two-hour workouts, which are taped, and then he and Roethlisberger go over the tape to see how he might make slight improvements.

I mentioned this on NBC's Football Night in America Sunday night, but it's worth retelling here. When Whitfield reported to Pittsburgh for the first time, he went directly to Roethlisberger's home. When he walked in, he saw a report on TV that said the Steelers had voted for captains, and Roethlisberger had not been voted one of them. It was an awkward moment, and Whitfield didn't know how Roethlisberger would react. "Ben just said, 'Hey, I put myself in this position. I've got to handle it, and I'm going to hammer my way through it,' '' Whitfield said.

One thing Roethlisberger is happy about, Whitfield said, is to work on some of the mechanical things a quarterback never has time to do during a normal season. "He likes the fact that this is like a one-month mechanics camp,'' Whitfield said. "He's a very self-aware quarterback. He'll say, 'I pat the ball, I overstride, sometimes I'm sloppy in my drop -- let's work on those things,' '' Whitfield said. "I think he's been very happy to be able to take some time to work on things he believes will make him a better player.''

"It's been very interesting,'' Whitfield added. "It's not like I have Mike Tomlin standing behind me to reinforce what I say. But I might as well have. [Ben's] been very coachable. He's fired up to do this. I was a little intimidated at first, because I didn't know what to expect. But he's excited to come to work every day when I'm with him, and he's putting his time to good use.''

After one practice, Whitfield said Roethlisberger took his cleats off and put on some work boots. Roethlisberger said he was going to chop wood at his father's ranch nearby.

"I think he's going to come back sharper and hungrier,'' Whitfield said. "He's really focused right now.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... index.html (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/09/28/steelers/index.html)

brothervad
09-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Okay Crash...please spot the Peter King hatorade on Ben in this article.

brothervad

brothervad
09-28-2010, 02:17 PM
Oh and btw...I am very impressed with Ben's attitude. I have been fairly critical of him, but also can say I am impressed on he has handled this issue.

brothervad

Crash
09-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Okay Crash...please spot the Peter King hatorade on Ben in this article.

brothervad

This time? None.

Now go read the others.

Especially the one where he claims Ms. DTF was 19, and Ben was investigated for rape by Nevada police. Neither of which are true.

But because he's Peter King? People take that as fact.

Steeler Expat
09-28-2010, 02:21 PM
I liked this letter:

THE BUCS ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK. "First of all, I just wanted to say thank you for not doing a rip up of the Bucs, but to put down the Bucs would have stolen away the thunder from your BFF Batch and all your favorite players in Pittsburgh. I think Batch is a stand up guy, Troy P is one of the best football players I have ever seen, Hines Ward is dirty, and Ben is a pig, but I digress. My point is: three plays worth 21 points (touchdowns each with the point after), and it's a different ballgame. Grimm didn't turn around, Talib should have intercepted the ball that landed in his hands instead of tipping it up, and a very large and slow man running that far for a touchdown after a tipped interception. Tomlin was very smart to start Batch, and it's why he is a good coach.''
-- Frank, Varico, Fla.

Look, when a team's fourth-string quarterback has the kind of day Charlie Batch had Sunday, it's not the time to say it was a fluky loss, which it sounds like you're saying about the Bucs. I like the Bucs, but they're not in the Steelers' league yet.

Crash
09-28-2010, 02:32 PM
I think Batch is a stand up guy, Troy P is one of the best football players I have ever seen, Hines Ward is dirty, and Ben is a pig, but I digress.

You think he'd publish if I called Tom Brady a pig for dumping his preggo girlfriend?

That's what I'm talking about.

feltdizz
09-28-2010, 02:38 PM
When he walked in, he saw a report on TV that said the Steelers had voted for captains, and Roethlisberger had not been voted one of them. It was an awkward moment, and Whitfield didn't know how Roethlisberger would react. "Ben just said, 'Hey, I put myself in this position. I've got to handle it, and I'm going to hammer my way through it,' '' Whitfield said.

B-B-But what about Batch in Vegas? :stirpot

Once again Ben admits his mistakes like a man and moves forward. I sure wish the apologist would do the same.

Steelers>NFL
09-28-2010, 02:40 PM
When he walked in, he saw a report on TV that said the Steelers had voted for captains, and Roethlisberger had not been voted one of them. It was an awkward moment, and Whitfield didn't know how Roethlisberger would react. "Ben just said, 'Hey, I put myself in this position. I've got to handle it, and I'm going to hammer my way through it,' '' Whitfield said.

Once again Ben admits his mistakes like a man and moves forward. I sure wish the apologist would do the same.

Of course he is going to admit his mistake. He can not deny it. What else is he gonna say?

Crash
09-28-2010, 02:41 PM
Admitting mistakes is fine. But media, players, and fans act as if Ben is the only one who's ever made them.

When Peter King can rip the uncharged Ben based on accusations and flat out lying and then plead for the public to allow "due process" to run it's course for the habitual criminal LT? That's wrong.

Just like Barry Bonds and steroids, the media acted like he was the only one who may have taken them.

Why? Because Barry didn't kiss their as$.

feltdizz
09-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Admitting mistakes is fine. But media, players, and fans act as if Ben is the only one who's ever made them.

When Peter King can rip the uncharged Ben based on accusations and flat out lying and then plead for the public to allow "due process" to run it's course for the habitual criminal LT? That's wrong.

Just like Barry Bonds and steroids, the media acted like he was the only one who may have taken them.

Ben was treated like the only 2 time SB champ to have 2 chicks accusing him of improper sexual activity in 2 straight off seasons.

However that is over... I think it's time to move on. These guys are paid to write about Ben and other guys who get in trouble. It would be stupid "from a business standpoint" for the media to take a wait and see approach with every incident.

I don't take what they say as truth or anything more than an opinion.

skyhawk
09-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Um, seriously, CHOPPING WOOD? :shock:

Great exercise but what if.....

aggiebones
09-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Yea, I didn't like the chopping wood comment at all. Immediately calls to my memory a combination of Ben flying a motorcycle into a car windshield and the kicker/punter chopping wood for some team building exercise and missing only to stick the ax in his leg.

Please make him wear steel pants.

grotonsteel
09-28-2010, 04:01 PM

Of course he is going to admit his mistake. He can not deny it. What else is he gonna say?

Ben takes the blame for all the sacks and all Steelers losses and we all know that ain't true... 8)

Crash
09-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Another article signing the praises of the wholesome good guy Charlie Batch while piling on the never charged Ben.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Pitt ... win-092710 (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Pittsburgh-Steelers-not-waiting-on-Ben-Roethlisberger-to-win-092710)

feltdizz
09-28-2010, 04:19 PM

Ben takes the blame for all the sacks and all Steelers losses and we all know that ain't true... 8)

Actually he takes blame for some of the sacks and some of the losses when he plays poorly. The honesty and human characteristics usually get lost in the blame BA or Ben is just being a leader.

There used to be a time when a guy owned up to his mistakes and we took him at his word and kept it moving.

feltdizz
09-28-2010, 04:21 PM
Another article signing the praises of the wholesome good guy Charlie Batch while piling on the never charged Ben.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Pitt ... win-092710 (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Pittsburgh-Steelers-not-waiting-on-Ben-Roethlisberger-to-win-092710)

sucker....

these guys know fans of Ben will go crazy over those types of articles. I have to give you credit, I wouldn't even know about half these articles if you didn't post them.

aggiebones
09-28-2010, 04:39 PM
When you are the quarterback, you take the blame. Period.

Crash
09-28-2010, 05:10 PM

And Ben does. He always does.

But they aren't talking about football here, they are talking about off the field.

Batch was accused, and investigated by police for a rape the same amount of times that Ben was.

Nothing is said about it.

feltdizz
09-28-2010, 05:34 PM

Off the field? LOL. I know what you mean but I think we can all acknowledge there has been times when Ben has been critical of his play and rightfully so. Not knocking him but I think when he says "some of the sacks are on me" he actually means it. All QB's take sacks trying to make plays and a guy like Ben takes more because he is a big guy.

Everytime Ben owns up to something his fans sweep in and make excuses. He is human.

Sugar
09-28-2010, 05:35 PM
I'm glad to read a little more about what Ben is doing while he's out. That said, it makes me a little uneasy to hear that he's tinkering with things. Ben has been a far more reactionary type of QB in his style. While I think that some polish will help him there is a part of me that thinks "if it aint broke, don't fix it."

Does that make any sense at all?

feltdizz
09-28-2010, 07:42 PM
I'm glad to read a little more about what Ben is doing while he's out. That said, it makes me a little uneasy to hear that he's tinkering with things. Ben has been a far more reactionary type of QB in his style. While I think that some polish will help him there is a part of me that thinks "if it aint broke, don't fix it."

nothing wrong with perfecting the craft

feltdizz
09-28-2010, 07:54 PM

But they aren't talking about football here, they are talking about off the field.

Batch was accused, and investigated by police for a rape the same amount of times that Ben was.

Why do you want Batch to go through the grinder again? Are you jealous of his success? Why do yu keep bringing it up? Charlie has been a great Steeler and has never talked bad about Ben but yu want his past on display because you have issues. So who else should we roast to make you feel better about Ben? How many Steelers should fall on their sword for Ben?

It's obvious you could care less about this season. You want everyone to feel the pain you feel about Ben's suspension and you keep hijacking threads.

Charlie had 3 TD's last game and he is about to throw 3 more. I know you hate it and you probably curse his name when he completes a pass.

Sugar
09-28-2010, 08:07 PM

I'm not saying he shouldn't perfect things, I just get concerned when someone starts tinkering with things that have been successful. I guess I just don't want him thinking about these things if it means that he doesn't flow with things the way he used to.

I'm pretty interested to see what we'll get when he comes back as I'm not sure he could live up to the expectations that are on him right now.

BURGH86STEEL
09-28-2010, 08:10 PM

I'm not saying he shouldn't perfect things, I just get concerned when someone starts tinkering with things that have been successful. I guess I just don't want him thinking about these things if it means that he doesn't flow with things the way he used to.

I'm pretty interested to see what we'll get when he comes back as I'm not sure he could live up to the expectations that are on him right now.

Ben is a big part of the offense. He is not the team. The expectations when he returns will be for the team to continue to win.

Sugar
09-28-2010, 08:51 PM
Ben is a big part of the offense. He is not the team. The expectations when he returns will be for the team to continue to win.

I think that winning goes without saying. However, the expectations seem such that Ben's return will hail massive upshifts in Offensive production. It's the whole- "wow if we can do this with our 4th string guy, what happens when the first stringer gets back?"

Like, when we were the SB champs with a weaker schedule than the year before and returning almost all our starters. We couldn't lose. Stairway to 7. We won with a tougher environment, so why not when the competition seemed more favorable?

flippy
09-29-2010, 06:08 AM

It started to sound like Rocky training for Drago, but then ended too soon.

Eich
09-29-2010, 09:07 AM
Why do you want Batch to go through the grinder again? Are you jealous of his success? Why do yu keep bringing it up? Charlie has been a great Steeler and has never talked bad about Ben but yu want his past on display because you have issues. So who else should we roast to make you feel better about Ben? How many Steelers should fall on their sword for Ben?

It's obvious you could care less about this season. You want everyone to feel the pain you feel about Ben's suspension and you keep hijacking threads.

Charlie had 3 TD's last game and he is about to throw 3 more. I know you hate it and you probably curse his name when he completes a pass.

This is one crusade where I actually agree with Crash. I don't think he's saying he wants Batch's past dug back up again. He's pointing out how much more bad press that Ben got for essentially the same accusation that was against guys like Batch and even Peyton Manning. The biggest probem for Ben was that it happened twice in today's negative-hungry media. But if we knew the absolute truth in what happened in Ben's case, Batch's case and Manning's case, I have a feeling that Batch and Manning actually behaved WORSE than Ben. And assuming that Ben just made bad, immature decisions and did not actually assault these girls (and I think most people believe he didn't actually assault them), then CERTAINLY guys who get multiple DUI's are much worse than Ben, yet they go relatively unpunished in the league.

sentinel33
09-29-2010, 10:28 AM
I just dont want Ben to feel like he has to perform at an unreachable level of performance to make his impact on the team. It's tough because everyone wants to feel wanted. Needed. He doesnt need to come back and feel the need to throw 4 TD passes every game to be relevant. Ben doesnt like to fail. not even with one play. I just dont want the pressure of coming back to a team that has been playing well without him to cause him to play tense. And then mistake prone cause he feels like he isnt doin enough. It's pretty clear to me that this team is good enough to beat .500 and below teams with our 3rd and 4th string QB's. But we will need Ben when we have to beat the jets and the saints and the patriots.
As far as him working on the details, it excites me. His game can still use some refineing and the fact that he recognizes this makes me feel even better. P. Manning goes into every off season with something to improve upon in his game and look at his career.
I just cant wait to get the Bad Boy back on the field. I miss his play. his abscence has made me realize just how inique of a QB he is.
The seventh Superbowl delivered by #7 and company in Ben's 7th year in the league.
Hhhmmmmmmmmmmm...

ikestops85
09-29-2010, 11:03 AM

I know what you are saying Sugar but he is just trying to work on mechanics ... not his mindset on how he plays the game.

For instance, he doesn't want to tap the ball before he throws. Why? DBs see him do that and they get a break on the ball. It's just one of those little things that separate the great QBs from the good ones. I am extremely happy that Ben is working this hard on his game.

RuthlessBurgher
09-29-2010, 01:50 PM

It started to sound like Rocky training for Drago, but then ended too soon.

The season will end in North Texas, against the hated Cowboys in SBXLV. At first, he gets roundly booed during pre-game introductions, including audible chants of "She said no!" But as he plays better and better throughout the game, culminating in another game-winning TD drive at the end, more and more supportive cheers will suddenly appear. He'll accept the Lombardi trophy on the podium at the 50 yard line and will address the crowd:

"During this game, I've seen a lot of changing, in the way you feel about me, and in the way I feel about you. In here, there were two teams killing each other, but I guess that's better than twenty million. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that if I can change, and you can change, everybody can change!"

:lol:

flippy
09-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Nice, RB.

This did get me thinking. What if the SuperBowl was Big Ben vs Vick? Probably the 2 most hated players in the NFL vying for redemption.

That'd be more like Clubber Lang vs Tommy Gun.

feltdizz
09-29-2010, 02:29 PM

This is one crusade where I actually agree with Crash. I don't think he's saying he wants Batch's past dug back up again. He's pointing out how much more bad press that Ben got for essentially the same accusation that was against guys like Batch and even Peyton Manning. The biggest probem for Ben was that it happened twice in today's negative-hungry media. But if we knew the absolute truth in what happened in Ben's case, Batch's case and Manning's case, I have a feeling that Batch and Manning actually behaved WORSE than Ben. And assuming that Ben just made bad, immature decisions and did not actually assault these girls (and I think most people believe he didn't actually assault them), then CERTAINLY guys who get multiple DUI's are much worse than Ben, yet they go relatively unpunished in the league.

you are wayyyy off base on this one. You weren't in the room but you have a feeling Manning and Batch did worse than Ben. Why is this? I'll tell you why...

It makes zero sense to dust off the history books to point out other players who have done similar things in a different era, on different teams or in college and use it as proof of the media's hypocrisy. What is happening now is always far worse then what happened years ago because it's fresh in our minds.

Ben is "our guy" if Peyton was our guy best believe we would have felt like the tea bag incident was overblown when it was reported. Unless there is another incident with Peyton, I have no idea what else he has done that made the news...

When Charlie was in Detroit and this story was reported best believe if you were a die Charlie Batch fan back then you probably felt like he was being framed. Why? Because it would be "your guy" getting trashed and you would dig and find dirt or past incidents with the chick and start calling her all types of money grabbing filthy names....

I'm not saying I know what happened but I do know this...

fans always think they are getting the sh!tty end of the stick when their guy makes in the news or the team loses due to a call on the field.

Sugar
09-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Nice, RB.

This did get me thinking. What if the SuperBowl was Big Ben vs Vick? Probably the 2 most hated players in the NFL vying for redemption.

That'd be more like Clubber Lang vs Tommy Gun.

Clubber KO1 Tommy Gunn- Clubber had bad stamina (like young George Foreman) but Tommy was chinny (like Tommy Morrison who played him). Oops, sorry, forgot I wasn't on the Maxboxing forum. :wink:

BURGH86STEEL
09-29-2010, 08:40 PM

I think that winning goes without saying. However, the expectations seem such that Ben's return will hail massive upshifts in Offensive production. It's the whole- "wow if we can do this with our 4th string guy, what happens when the first stringer gets back?"

Like, when we were the SB champs with a weaker schedule than the year before and returning almost all our starters. We couldn't lose. Stairway to 7. We won with a tougher environment, so why not when the competition seemed more favorable?

I understand what you are saying. In my past, I might had thought the same thing, "wow if we can do this with our 4th string guy, what happens when the first stringer gets back?" That's why I stated my expectations were to continue to win.

I don't expect Ben to be a hungry animal that is going to tear up the league. I don't expect the offense to score 30 points per game. I understand that wins don't come easy in the NFL.

I understand that how teams perform when they face one another has no bearing on how the Steelers will perform against those teams.

Crash
09-29-2010, 08:54 PM

I want the media to be consistent. Don't shove Charlie Batch down my throat as this wholesome great guy, while portraying Ben as this evil prick when they were both accused of the same thing.

Even today, BIG story in the Trib of how great guy Charlie is Terrelle Pryor's mentor.

What's next? Batch bakes cookies and sends them to the old folks home?

If anything the media should be reporting on both this way: They should use Batch as an example of how an athlete who was accused of a brutal crime, then changed his ways and became a pillar in his community.

But they don't want to be objective, they want to sell newspapers by using the Good (Batch) vs. Evil (Ben) crap.

And that's a joke.

I'll tell ya this, DA Bright said they didn't even have probable cause to arrest Ben, that speaks volumes.

Just like this below about the Batch case:

Clark County Chief Deputy District Attorney Doug Herndon said several prosecutors thoroughly evaluated the statements and other evidence gathered by police between May and mid-August 2000.

"A review of everything seemed to indicate that crimes did occur. It seemed to be absolutely clear that this woman was subjected to sexual acts by a number of guys," said Herndon, head of the office's Special Victims Unit. "But it was also clear that she was highly intoxicated or drugged at the time. ... We didn't think there was enough evidence to take it before a jury and win a conviction."

But the media doesn't tell you that, do they?

Shawn
09-29-2010, 09:08 PM

Listen, I won't disagree with the spirit of what you are saying. I do think Ben got some unfair treatment in the media. Did he put himself in that position? Yep. Did he hand over his power to a young college girl, the media, and the local police? Absolutely. With that said, Ben was treated more harshly by the media and public than many in his position.

You have to ask yourself why. Why do guys like Tiger and Ben get slammed while others skate by seeminly unscathed? I think the answer is obvious. Both Ben and Tiger seemed to have lacked a certain humility and willingness to be social outside of the their inner circle. Both had issues with the media and both had public perceptions of arrogance. When they stepped out...the public loved seeing them fall and the media fed that desire. I really believe it's that simple.

Crash
09-29-2010, 09:47 PM
you are wayyyy off base on this one. You weren't in the room but you have a feeling Manning and Batch did worse than Ben. Why is this?

Because both of their accuser's were paid off?

feltdizz
09-30-2010, 07:30 AM

I want the media to be consistent. Don't shove Charlie Batch down my throat as this wholesome great guy, while portraying Ben as this evil prick when they were both accused of the same thing.

Even today, BIG story in the Trib of how great guy Charlie is Terrelle Pryor's mentor.

What's next? Batch bakes cookies and sends them to the old folks home?

If anything the media should be reporting on both this way: They should use Batch as an example of how an athlete who was accused of a brutal crime, then changed his ways and became a pillar in his community.

But they don't want to be objective, they want to sell newspapers by using the Good (Batch) vs. Evil (Ben) crap.

And that's a joke.

I'll tell ya this, DA Bright said they didn't even have probable cause to arrest Ben, that speaks volumes.

Just like this below about the Batch case:

Clark County Chief Deputy District Attorney Doug Herndon said several prosecutors thoroughly evaluated the statements and other evidence gathered by police between May and mid-August 2000.

"A review of everything seemed to indicate that crimes did occur. It seemed to be absolutely clear that this woman was subjected to sexual acts by a number of guys," said Herndon, head of the office's Special Victims Unit. "But it was also clear that she was highly intoxicated or drugged at the time. ... We didn't think there was enough evidence to take it before a jury and win a conviction."

But the media doesn't tell you that, do they?

maybe if Ben stays out of the news for a few years he will get the Batch treatment.

stop trying to drag Batch down. Batch has been a great Steeler and if Ben keeps it clean he will get the same love in a few years.

Eich
09-30-2010, 08:40 AM

you are wayyyy off base on this one. You weren't in the room but you have a feeling Manning and Batch did worse than Ben. Why is this? I'll tell you why...

It's my opinion and I don't think I'm way off base at all. As far as I know - Manning did not deny doing what he did to that female trainer. My opinion, based on what I've read, is that Manning did what he was accused of and paid the woman off to make it go away. My opinion is also that Batch had sex with the woman that accused his group, even if Batch may not have intended it to be assault. My opinion, also based on reading a lot of reports, is that Ben did not have sex with the GA girl and that he had concensual sex with the NV nut.

It makes zero sense to dust off the history books to point out other players who have done similar things in a different era, on different teams or in college and use it as proof of the media's hypocrisy. What is happening now is always far worse then what happened years ago because it's fresh in our minds. .

I don't disagree. But people hail Batch and Manning as the greatest guys in football history and that isn't necessairly true.

Ben is "our guy" if Peyton was our guy best believe we would have felt like the tea bag incident was overblown when it was reported. Unless there is another incident with Peyton, I have no idea what else he has done that made the news...

When Charlie was in Detroit and this story was reported best believe if you were a die Charlie Batch fan back then you probably felt like he was being framed. Why? Because it would be "your guy" getting trashed and you would dig and find dirt or past incidents with the chick and start calling her all types of money grabbing filthy names.....

Here's where you are DEAD wrong. When the story broke about Ben this offseason and it really looked like Ben was a bad guy who had done a really nasty thing, I wanted him GONE. Crash was convinced he'd be gone and wasn't complaining about it. If Ben was charged and convicted, I wanted NOTHING to do with him. I wanted him off the Steelers. But as FACTS started coming out, it became more and more clear that Ben was AGAIN falsely accused of Rape/Sexual assault. I don't doubt that Ben acted stupid and immature and put himself and the reputation of the Steelers and the league in an awful position by partying with college girls on his birthday, dressed in a devil T-shirt and subsequently fooling around with a drunk girl who was all over him that night. But from everything I've read, he absolutely did not assault the GA girl nor did he assault the Nevada nut. And for all the grief Ben has gone through, even though he's the one mostly responsible for it, I feel bad for the guy. His reputation is forever ruined for doing something that nearly every guy in his 20's does on a regular basis.

fans always think they are getting the sh!tty end of the stick when their guy makes in the news or the team loses due to a call on the field.

There's no doubt in my mind that Ben got the ****ty end of the stick. Did he bring it upon himself? Yes. Did he deserve the negative-only reporting from the media, his name dragged through the mud, a 6 game suspension and a reputation forever ruined? I think not.

Slapstick
09-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Bringing up the allegations about anyone else, especially Charlie Batch, does nothing to help Ben. Nor does it vindicate him. It just makes the person who brings it up look childish and petty. If the media chose to do this, it would appear that they were attempting to justify Ben's behavior...or at least make it look not as bad by comparison...

It serves no real purpose...Ben's name was dragged through the mud and he was suspended, despite never being charged with an actual crime. That sucks.

Dredging up Charlie Batch's or Peyton Manning's past does not affect this...

Crash
09-30-2010, 12:30 PM
But the point is people are cutting Ben's legs off to make BATCH look taller.

That's BS!

Just like the PG writer who wrote a story about great guy Charlie and Evil Ben. How Batch was this great role model.

She had NO CLUE about Batch's past. NONE.

But because Batch is a local boy everyone loves him. If Batch was from Texas no one would give a damn about him.

Just like the Pittsburgh Zoo. They removed a Ben poster, and replaced him with Mario Lemieux. I guess they never heard of Mario's night in Bloomington Minnesota either huh?

The piling on Ben was a joke. All I and others did was point it out.

Sugar
09-30-2010, 01:00 PM
You have to ask yourself why. Why do guys like Tiger and Ben get slammed while others skate by seeminly unscathed? I think the answer is obvious. Both Ben and Tiger seemed to have lacked a certain humility and willingness to be social outside of the their inner circle. Both had issues with the media and both had public perceptions of arrogance. When they stepped out...the public loved seeing them fall and the media fed that desire. I really believe it's that simple.

Funny, I think the answer is obvious too, but I have a different answer and humility has nothing to do with it. The answer, IMO, is that Big Ben and Tiger Woods sell papers, get clicks and raise ratings. Nobody give a rats rectum what a backup WR for the Lions does. In Batch's case, there were other players involved and all of them put together didn't have the name recognition of Ben. People love to watch hero's fall anyway whether they're perceived as arrogant or not.

In fact, Ben happened to come around at just the "right" time. The Tiger story was about out of steam and his story gave the media something new to freak out about.

feltdizz
09-30-2010, 01:16 PM

That's BS!

Just like the PG writer who wrote a story about great guy Charlie and Evil Ben. How Batch was this great role model.

But because Batch is a local boy everyone loves him. If Batch was from Texas no one would give a damn about him.

Just like the Pittsburgh Zoo. They removed a Ben poster, and replaced him with Mario Lemieux. I guess they never heard of Mario's night in Bloomington Minnesota either huh?

The media's treatment of Batch is a clear indication that Ben can change his image if he stays out of the news.

I have no idea why this makes you so mad that you need to keep rehashing old dirt or dirt we have never heard of.

Lemieux in MN? Who cares... never heard of it. Stop trying to go back to the future and realize Ben is in the same hot seat Batch was in 10 years ago... he just has 10 times the popularity... but in time he will be talked about just like Batch if he keeps it clean.

RuthlessBurgher
09-30-2010, 01:21 PM
Stop trying to go back to the future.

Yeah, Jiga's getting weak and he can already see through his own hand.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/upload/2010/06/ten_things_that_will_look_awes/hand.jpg

Crash
09-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Batch was never on the hot seat. Never.

Mario in Minnesota is not a pretty picture. Read up on it.

My point is, the media would be a lot better off, if they weren't so quick to pile on for the sake of web hits and ratings.

feltdizz
09-30-2010, 01:33 PM

It's my opinion and I don't think I'm way off base at all. As far as I know - Manning did not deny doing what he did to that female trainer. My opinion, based on what I've read, is that Manning did what he was accused of and paid the woman off to make it go away. My opinion is also that Batch had sex with the woman that accused his group, even if Batch may not have intended it to be assault. My opinion, also based on reading a lot of reports, is that Ben did not have sex with the GA girl and that he had concensual sex with the NV nut.

Manning teabagged a trainer in college. It has nothing to do with the NFL and I have no idea why it's even being used as an example. You have no idea if Batch did or didn't unless if he confessed to it. If so, he did it and hasn't been accused of anything since. He wasn't even a Steeler then... what is the point? Jealousy? probably..

It makes zero sense to dust off the history books to point out other players who have done similar things in a different era, on different teams or in college and use it as proof of the media's hypocrisy. What is happening now is always far worse then what happened years ago because it's fresh in our minds. .

I don't disagree. But people hail Batch and Manning as the greatest guys in football history and that isn't necessairly true.

How is Batch one of the greatest guys in football history? This is so wrong... he is a back up QB. Period!

When Charlie was in Detroit and this story was reported best believe if you were a die Charlie Batch fan back then you probably felt like he was being framed. Why? Because it would be "your guy" getting trashed and you would dig and find dirt or past incidents with the chick and start calling her all types of money grabbing filthy names.....

Here's where you are DEAD wrong. When the story broke about Ben this offseason and it really looked like Ben was a bad guy who had done a really nasty thing, I wanted him GONE. Crash was convinced he'd be gone and wasn't complaining about it. If Ben was charged and convicted, I wanted NOTHING to do with him. I wanted him off the Steelers. But as FACTS started coming out, it became more and more clear that Ben was AGAIN falsely accused of Rape/Sexual assault. I don't doubt that Ben acted stupid and immature and put himself and the reputation of the Steelers and the league in an awful position by partying with college girls on his birthday, dressed in a devil T-shirt and subsequently fooling around with a drunk girl who was all over him that night. But from everything I've read, he absolutely did not assault the GA girl nor did he assault the Nevada nut. And for all the grief Ben has gone through, even though he's the one mostly responsible for it, I feel bad for the guy. His reputation is forever ruined for doing something that nearly every guy in his 20's does on a regular basis.

like you said... he is the most responsible for it... it is his reputation and his money and fame. I feel bad for our team... I don't feel bad for him though. Not with an open civil case and 100 mill in the bank.

There's no doubt in my mind that Ben got the ****ty end of the stick. Did he bring it upon himself? Yes. Did he deserve the negative-only reporting from the media, his name dragged through the mud, a 6 game suspension and a reputation forever ruined? I think not.

Is Ben's rep forever ruined? I don't think so... people said the same thing about Ray Ray and Vick. It just takes time to repair the damage...

The problem is people like Crash and you keep trying to stop Ben and the fans from moving forward. It does more harm than good. Instead of pointing out other players dirt it would be much wiser to point out their ability to swim up sh!ts creek and come out clean.... if they can make people forget or not even know about their incidents then maybe in a few years the same will happen with Ben.

Crash
09-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Is Ben's rep forever ruined?

Yes.

I don't think so... people said the same thing about Ray Ray and Vick. It just takes time to repair the damage

The Great Ray Lewis and Mike Vick are black. You can't pile on them or you get labeled a racist.

The praise that Charlie Batch gets from the National Media at Ben's expense is downright sickening.

feltdizz
09-30-2010, 02:08 PM
[quote]Is Ben's rep forever ruined?

Yes.

I don't think so... people said the same thing about Ray Ray and Vick. It just takes time to repair the damage

The Great Ray Lewis and Mike Vick are black. You can't pile on them or you get labeled a racist.

The praise that Charlie Batch gets from the National Media at Ben's expense is downright sickening.[/quote:2za3r75t]
so it comes down to race... AGAIN!

Ray Ray and Vick were piled on like crazy... but once it was over, it was over. The same will happen to Ben. Now that it's over... you won't hear a ton of Ben bashing outside of a few bloggers who know they can get fanatics like you to click on their stories by saying something outlandish. When Vick and Ray were front page it was much more serious and they were in the news for much longer. After the first preseason game the national media didn't pile on Ben... it was over. The only one b!tching and crying about Ben is you and a few other kids who can't get over yourselves. You are a white victim... always have been and always will be. You are the typical white victim. Everyone else has it so easy but the white man can't get a break... :?

Honestly, I haven't heard any praise from the national media about Batch. Dixon's numbers were so bad it made Batch look like a hero but seriously, outside of Pittsburgh all the talk is about our team rallying around Ben to win 4 games for him.

I think fans like you actually wanted us to go 0-4 so you could talk about how we can't do nuttin without Ben. A few guys on here actually said they hoped we lost the first 4 and Ben won the next 12.

Slapstick
09-30-2010, 02:12 PM

That's BS!

Okay...I'm going to try something different here:

Crash, you're right. It's true.

Many of us can see your point of view and at least some of us actually agree.

However, it is the incessant and redundant posts that become highly annoying...

You've made your point multiple times.

Now, please stop.

Crash
09-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Honestly, I haven't heard any praise from the national media about Batch.

Go read Peter King, who labeled Batch "The Quarterback America is rooting for", for starters.

flippy
09-30-2010, 02:51 PM
Someone oughta create a thread about every wrong doing of every athlete in Pittsburgh sports history. Then we can rank em and see which is worse than the others.

It'd be cool to have all the dirty laundry in one place.

And let's see how it compares to Ben.

And it'd be worth bonus points if you can make the case that Sidney Crosby and Troy Polamalu did something worse than Ben.

fordfixer
09-30-2010, 11:14 PM

That's BS!

Time and time again :Blah

Captain Lemming
10-01-2010, 03:14 AM

Bingo Crash.
You just answered your own question.

It aint some grand "get Ben" conspiracy. It aint about "hiding" CBs past.

More people know about Ben's troubles in GA, than KNOW WHO CHARLIE BATCH IS period.

It is foolish to think than in some effort to be fair to Ben reporters are going to dig up decade old dirt on other players like you are compelled to do.

Like you said she likely had no clue of the accusations against CB.

Captain Lemming
10-01-2010, 03:17 AM
Honestly, I haven't heard any praise from the national media about Batch.

Go read Peter King, who labeled Batch "The Quarterback America is rooting for", for starters.

I dont know about "America" but why as a Steeler fan do you seem unable to root for him while Ben is out?

Crash
10-01-2010, 03:37 AM
I dont know about "America" but why as a Steeler fan do you seem unable to root for him while Ben is out?

I root for Batch to play well. But I think even you know what King is referring to. America is rooting for "good guy" Batch, because he's playing while "bad guy" Ben isn't.

Just like that schmuck from FOX sports. This is becoming ridiculous.

Don't cut Ben's legs off to make Batch look taller.

feltdizz
10-01-2010, 08:25 AM

I root for Batch to play well. But I think even you know what King is referring to. America is rooting for "good guy" Batch, because he's playing while "bad guy" Ben isn't.

Just like that schmuck from FOX sports. This is becoming ridiculous.

why are you giving Peter King all this power? He writes stuff.. but it doesn't make it true. It's his opinion. Tomorrow he will have some more opinions.... he just has a chance to write about someone different and being that Steeler Nation is huge it makes sense to write about Charlie.

If King said Osama was rooting for Batch would that make it true? America isn't rooting for Batch.. Steeler fans and Batch fans are rooting for Batch.

You sound ill.

Slapstick
10-01-2010, 08:37 AM

Ben put his own legs on the chopping block and Goodell cut them off...

Of course that makes Batch look taller by comparison!!

Don't hold it against the media when they simply point that out...

Crash
10-01-2010, 12:29 PM

Ben put his own legs on the chopping block and Goodell cut them off...

Of course that makes Batch look taller by comparison!!

Don't hold it against the media when they simply point that out...

That's just it slap. They point out what they want to.

I think it's very hypocritical of media, fans, even Dan Rooney, to praise Batch in the middle of this Roethlisberger crap, when he's guilty of putting himself in the same situation Ben has.

aggiebones
10-01-2010, 01:47 PM
So Crash, they should NEVER say anything good about Ben in the future?

Crash
10-01-2010, 01:52 PM
So Crash, they should NEVER say anything good about Ben in the future?

Stick to the point. We are talking about Batch and the media's obvious Good guy vs. Bad guy angle they are taking with him and Ben.

Slapstick
10-01-2010, 04:09 PM
That's just it slap. They point out what they want to.

I think it's very hypocritical of media, fans, even Dan Rooney, to praise Batch in the middle of this Roethlisberger crap, when he's guilty of putting himself in the same situation Ben has.

Yes, they do...

Unfortunately, perception becomes reality...IMO, both Batch and Roethlisberger are "good guys"...not perfect, but both have done a tremendous amount for their respective causes...

Batch deserves all of the praise that he's receiving...

Roethlisberger does not deserve all of the bashing that he's receiving...

Batch and I are about the same age...I'm not the same guy that I was 10 years ago and I doubt that Batch is the same guy he was ten years ago...

Batch has changed...Ben now has the opportunity to do so...

I can only hope that Ben changes for the better as much as Batch has...

Crash
10-01-2010, 04:11 PM

The point being, is no one will report Batch's past. The majority don't know that he's changed because they have no idea WHY he changed.

And that's the media's fault.

brothervad
10-01-2010, 04:18 PM

The point being, is no one will report Batch's past. The majority don't know that he's changed because they have no idea WHY he changed.

Since we don't have a crystal ball and can't forsee things...

Batch's transgression was in 2001

Let's see how the media reports on Ben in 2019 before we make the statment that the media will report about Ben's past or not.

In other words it's not an Apples to Apples comparison...

brothervad

Crash
10-01-2010, 04:19 PM

Let's see how the media reports on Ben in 2019 before we make the statment that the media will report about Ben's past or not.

brothervad

I agree.

DA Bright said they didn't have probable cause to arrest Ben.

Now go see what the DA said about the Batch case.

brothervad
10-01-2010, 04:25 PM

brothervad

I agree.

DA Bright said they didn't have probable cause to arrest Ben.

Now go see what the DA said about the Batch case.

No, because I don't care...different DA's with differing viewpoints and evidence. It doesn't even matter to me if you are right about any of this or none of it.

I care about the Steelers not about Ben...the ways you post anymore it leads me to conclude you care more about Ben not the Steelers.

Who is the better Steeler fan?

Start talking about the team and move on from this irrelevant crusade.

Crash
10-01-2010, 04:28 PM

Me, I stick for any player on the Steelers who's been wronged.

Just like the Ward rumors a few years ago. I, me, stated that while #86 is a douche, I can't believe that even HE would be that stupid.

brothervad
10-01-2010, 04:30 PM

Just like the Ward rumors a few years ago. I, me, stated that while #86 is a douche, I can't believe that even HE would be that stupid.

Yeah I can really tell how you "stick" by Ward.

brothervad

Crash
10-01-2010, 04:33 PM

brothervad

Absolutely, when it's warranted.

Just like I will call him out when it's warranted when he runs his mouth.

brothervad
10-01-2010, 04:36 PM

brothervad

Absolutely, when it's warranted.

Just like I will call him out when it's warranted when he runs his mouth.

Whatever dude...you don't...you throw him under the bus to help you on your crusade/man crush on Ben.

And by warranted...you mean anytime someone challenges your opinion on poor little Ben.

but again, I thought you said you were done...you just can't help yourself can you?

brothervad

Crash
10-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Whatever dude...you don't...you throw him under the bus to help you on your crusade/man crush on Ben.

I don't throw Ward under the bus. I call him out for being a hypocrite.

Ward's had enough crap going on in his own life, he needs to let Ben deal with his own.

brothervad
10-01-2010, 04:51 PM

I don't throw Ward under the bus. I call him out for being a hypocrite.

Ward's had enough crap going on in his own life, he needs to let Ben deal with his own.

Tell me when will you call out Ben?

Since you have Ward's back when it's warranted, does that go the same for Ben?

Oh and you kind of hit contradiction in statements when you claim to be a better Steeler fan because you stand behind all Steelers.

But you kind of don't when you use other Steelers to defend Ben...When you call out Batch, Ward...that isn't being a very good Steeler fan.

Because according to you...

Me, I stick for any player on the Steelers who's been wronged

I am sure in your mind somewhere you can justify this, but it is a contradiction.

brothervad

Crash
10-01-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm not calling out Batch. I'm calling out the MEDIA who are playing the Good vs. Evil routine between Ben and Charlie.

Pay attention.

brothervad
10-01-2010, 04:59 PM
I'm not calling out Batch. I'm calling out the MEDIA who are playing the Good vs. Evil routine between Ben and Charlie.

Pay attention.

Um weren't you the one who suggested at minimum he was a gangbanger and at worst a rapist?

See you can't have it both ways.

You pretend you are simply calling out the media, but in the process you don't have the Steeler in question's back.

brothervad

Crash
10-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Um weren't you the one who suggested at minimum he was a gangbanger and at worst a rapist?

No, the PLAYERS THEMSELVES are the ones who suggested they are gang bangers. They admitted they had sex with her.

So that means, at best, he's a gang banger.

If it's not consensual, he's a gang bang rapist.

Surely you aren't bashing ME, for something the PLAYERS admitted to, right?

brothervad
10-01-2010, 05:28 PM

No, the PLAYERS THEMSELVES are the ones who suggested they are gang bangers. They admitted they had sex with her.

So that means, at best, he's a gang banger.

If it's not consensual, he's a gang bang rapist.

Surely you aren't bashing ME, for something the PLAYERS admitted to, right?

At WORST Batch is a gang bang rapist, at BEST he took part in a consensual gang bang.

But Batch is being portrayed as a hero, and everything that is "right" with today's athlete compared to the evil Ben Roethlisberger.

And that is a freaking joke.

I believe that is your's isn't it? Oh that really looks like you have a Steelers back...

brothervad

Crash
10-01-2010, 05:32 PM
I believe that is your's isn't it? Oh that really looks like you have a Steelers back...

brothervad

The players admitted they had sex with her.

If it's not consensual, what would that make him?

If it WAS consensual, as they claim, what would that make him?

I can't be held responsible for players admitting they took part in a gang bang kid.

brothervad
10-01-2010, 05:43 PM

brothervad

I can't be held responsible for players admitting they took part in a gang bang kid.

No Crash you don't, but thank you for helping make my point. You may not get it, but just the same you pretty much nailed it for me.

brothervad

Crash
10-01-2010, 06:19 PM

brothervad

No Crash you don't, but thank you for helping make my point. You may not get it, but just the same you pretty much nailed it for me.

brothervad

You have no point. NONE.

They admitted they took part in a gang bang.

Nothing more needs to be said really.

brothervad
10-01-2010, 06:30 PM

brothervad

brothervad

You have no point. NONE.

They admitted they took part in a gang bang.

Nothing more needs to be said really.

Then why do you keep on replying if nothing more needs to be said? I don't really care what you think about my point. You made it for me.

Keep on living within your obsession....I proved my point about your inconsistent support of our Steeler team.

You can have the last word...because I am done discussing this with an irrational person.

Defintion of Insanity...expecting different results from the same behavior. I choose to no longer waste my time on you.

brothervad

Crash
10-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Keep on living within your obsession....I proved my point about your inconsistent support of our Steeler team.

Where did I not support Batch? I'm calling out the MEDIA, not Batch.

You need to read what's written here.