PDA

View Full Version : POUNCEY VS NGATA, IM PUMPED

pick6
09-28-2010, 11:49 AM
This is the kids first major test and a taste of his arch nemesis for years to come. (Rogers for the browns looks bad right now).

I will lose it ,completely, if he throws Ngata to the ground. What if he pancakes him. Then none of us can speak from after the game until monday night, a vow of silence. of course, if Pouncey wins that battle we blow the ravens out.

Also, I want to see Ray get smashed. im not one of these guys that hates the guy, its strictly a football thing. What if Pouncey deletes Ray Ray after smashing Ngata. Combination block please.

But Ill be watching this battle closely, it could get ugly.

steelblood
09-28-2010, 11:58 AM
This is the kids first major test and a taste of his arch nemesis for years to come. (Rogers for the browns looks bad right now).

I will lose it ,completely, if he throws Ngata to the ground. What if he pancakes him. Then none of us can speak from after the game until monday night, a vow of silence. of course, if Pouncey wins that battle we blow the ravens out.

Also, I want to see Ray get smashed. im not one of these guys that hates the guy, its strictly a football thing. What if Pouncey deletes Ray Ray after smashing Ngata. Combination block please.

Yeah, Ngata has played primarily DE now for about 2 seasons. Gregg is the starting NT and Mt. Cody will likely get some PT this week.

sentinel33
09-28-2010, 12:13 PM
The line didnt give up a sack against Tampa. From the C over to the RT its all new. Legurskys steppin up. May just stay there if he has a good outing against Baltimore. Sure would be nice to have an offensive line with some legitimate cohesion.

SteelAbility
09-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Ngata is trial by fire. I would love to see Pouncey pass the test.

RuthlessBurgher
09-28-2010, 01:04 PM

Yeah, Ngata has played primarily DE now for about 2 seasons. Gregg is the starting NT and Mt. Cody will likely get some PT this week.

Correct...Ngata will be lining up over Chris Kemoeatu instead (Tonga vs. Tonga matchup). Pouncey will be up against Gregg mostly, and Cody occassionally as you stated. Didn't Pouncey do a good job head-to-head against Cody in college when Florida played Alabama?

papillon
09-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Are the Ravens a 34 or 43 primarily? If they play a 43 Pouncey will potentially be chipping a DT (Ngata or Gregg) and then moving on to Lewis, JPN help a brother out here. :P

In a 34 alignment he will certainly have NT to contend with and that will probably be Gregg. I believe Pouncey can win that battle; Ngata is a talented defensive lineman and a stalemate with him would be a win, IMO.

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Are the Ravens a 34 or 43 primarily? If they play a 43 Pouncey will potentially be chipping a DT (Ngata or Gregg) and then moving on to Lewis, JPN help a brother out here. :P

In a 34 alignment he will certainly have NT to contend with and that will probably be Gregg. I believe Pouncey can win that battle; Ngata is a talented defensive lineman and a stalemate with him would be a win, IMO.

Pappy

As far as I know, the still play a 3-4. They do have hybrid packages with same personnel but different alignments where the have Ngata & Gregg at DTs Redding at DE & Suggs at the other. For example, If Pittsburgh came out with TE right or bunch right, Redding would line up at LDE, Gregg LDT, Ngata RDT, and Suggs would be weakside rush. The LBs would be over and gives them an extra man strong side with some gap issues strongside against the run. Good alignment to leave Lewis unblocked and run to the football.

You would be correct Pap against that front. If Ngata was head up or A gap between Kemo, Pouncey would do a combination block with Kemo and come off for LB. There could also be a possibilty of a combination block if Gregg was head up on Pouncey. Kemo would reach Gregg and Pouncey would come off for LB. There are many ways to attack it but it is all about your personnel and what they are capable of. Pouncey has given the Steelers this ability in the first 3 games. It would be awesome if they could continue it withthe Ravens. We shall see.

papillon
09-28-2010, 03:36 PM

Pappy

As far as I know, the still play a 3-4. They do have hybrid packages with same personnel but different alignments where the have Ngata & Gregg at DTs Redding at DE & Suggs at the other. For example, If Pittsburgh came out with TE right or bunch right, Redding would line up at LDE, Gregg LDT, Ngata RDT, and Suggs would be weakside rush. The LBs would be over and gives them an extra man strong side with some gap issues strongside against the run. Good alignment to leave Lewis unblocked and run to the football.

You would be correct Pap against that front. If Ngata was head up or A gap between Kemo, Pouncey would do a combination block with Kemo and come off for LB. There could also be a possibilty of a combination block if Gregg was head up on Pouncey. Kemo would reach Gregg and Pouncey would come off for LB. There are many ways to attack it but it is all about your personnel and what they are capable of. Pouncey has given the Steelers this ability in the first 3 games. It would be awesome if they could continue it withthe Ravens. We shall see.

And all this time JPN you probably thought I wasn't paying attention. :P :Cheers Thanks for the education over the years.

Pappy

Oviedo
09-28-2010, 03:51 PM

Pappy

They are actually a hybrid like we have talked about. They switch between a 3-4 and 4-3 depending on down and distance. That is why you see Ngata at DE and then in the same series at DT.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-28-2010, 03:51 PM

Pappy

And all this time JPN you probably thought I wasn't paying attention. :P :Cheers Thanks for the education over the years.

Pappy
We all learn from each other. :wink: It really makes the games more enjoyable when you start to notice the ins & outs of what happens in the trenches. I don't know if you ever watched Chalk Talk. It is the closest thing you get to what the coaches see in the meetings.
http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio ... 7838e1d7cd (http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Chalk-Talk---at-Buccaneers-Week-3/d176a682-1f0a-4dce-8242-377838e1d7cd)

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-28-2010, 03:56 PM

Pappy

They are actually a hybrid like we have talked about. They switch between a 3-4 and 4-3 depending on down and distance. That is why you see Ngata at DE and then in the same series at DT.
You are correct O. Down & distance usually dictates it and they can do it with the same personnel on the field in most situations until it goes to nickel & dime. Suggs & Ngata give them flexibilty up front.

feltdizz
09-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Is Mt. Cody making any noise or is he still trying to make weight?

Eddie Spaghetti
09-28-2010, 04:30 PM
it is going to be a major test for MP regardless of who he lines up against.

i'm glad the steelers have him, against the wishes of some of the so called "experts" here who said he was a "reach" at that spot.

pick6
09-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Thanks guys for the info. So basically they won't see each other directly, very often, but this game against a stout defensive line will be a great test for Pouncey and our entire oline. Still want Pouncey to handle somebody. And Im thinking that Adams will soon realize how violent and physical this tradition is between these two teams and I hope to see that old rage that he used to show back in the Cowboy days come out.

Shoe
09-28-2010, 10:23 PM
Correct...Ngata will be lining up over Chris Kemoeatu instead (Tonga vs. Tonga matchup). Pouncey will be up against Gregg mostly, and Cody occassionally as you stated. Didn't Pouncey do a good job head-to-head against Cody in college when Florida played Alabama?

I believe Pouncey (according to draft publications I subscribe to) did note Pouncey's success in blocking Cody. But yeah... if it's Ngata vs. Kemoeatu, I will certainly have an eye specifically trained on that (polynesian) matchup! Having Ngata on his Nose all game, he'll certainly learn a hard lesson, and our team will feel the effects of that during the game. Even Gregg... Gregg's gonna teach Pouncey a lesson or two this first encounter (BUT--these guys better get their licks now, cuz Pouncey will be no pushover for the future!)

papillon
09-29-2010, 12:38 AM
[quote=papillon]Are the Ravens a 34 or 43 primarily? If they play a 43 Pouncey will potentially be chipping a DT (Ngata or Gregg) and then moving on to Lewis, JPN help a brother out here. :P

Pappy

Pappy
We all learn from each other. :wink: It really makes the games more enjoyable when you start to notice the ins & outs of what happens in the trenches. I don't know if you ever watched Chalk Talk. It is the closest thing you get to what the coaches see in the meetings.
http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio ... 7838e1d7cd (http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Chalk-Talk---at-Buccaneers-Week-3/d176a682-1f0a-4dce-8242-377838e1d7cd)[/quote:2x59ecng]

Thanks JPN that video is informative. It also gives you an idea of how well Batch did the little things that made many of the pass plays successful. Batch moved the secondary and linebackers where ever he wanted them to be to create passing lanes for himself and the receiver.

I hope he can do it one more week and the Steelers hand the Ravens a loss and a bad one to boot.

Pappy

fordfixer
09-29-2010, 01:43 AM
Ravens to test Pouncey
September 28th, 2010
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... ox+Blog%29 (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/09/28/ravens-to-test-pouncey/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29)

Nothing has fazed Maurkice Pouncey during his remarkable ascent so the rookie center doesn’t figure to blink, as Mike Tomlin would put it, when he experiences his first Ravens-Steelers game.

Pouncey will spend much of Sunday lined up against Kelly Gregg or Haloti Ngata as he plays against a 3-4 defense for the first time in the regular season.

And the best defense, at least statistically, in the NFL.

“This guy has a tall challenge this week,” Tomlin said of Pouncey. “He’s doing an extraordinary job as a rookie but we don’t grade on a curve.”

Translation: Pouncey’s inexperience won’t be an excuse if he struggles with Gregg or Ngata, whom Tomlin said is “as dominant a defensive lineman as there is in football right now.”

Pouncey has been up to every challenge Tomlin has given him in becoming the first rookie position player to start during the fourth-year coach’s tenure.

Now comes the biggest one, almost literally, of his young career.

The 6-4, 350-pound Ngata has a unique blend of size and athleticism, and he plays everywhere along the defensive line. Gregg, Tomlin said, will be no bargain either when the 6-foot, 320-pounder is lined up over center.

Pouncey has looked like the next great center in the long line of them that have played for the Steelers. Sunday will provide a pretty good gauge of just where the 6-4, 304-pounder is as the Ravens will try to confuse Pouncey with different looks and overwhelm him with brute strength.

As Tomlin said, “He’s going to be introduced to the Ravens-Steelers rivalry pretty quickly, I’m sure.”

hawaiiansteel
09-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Steelers' Maurkice Pouncey succeeds in return home

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=GS&Date=20100928&Category=ARTICLES&ArtNo=100929516&Ref=AR&MaxW=600&border=0

Tampa Bay Buccaneers go head to head with the Pittsburgh Steelers with Maurkice Pouncey as center at Raymond James Stadium Sunday Sept. 26, 2010 in Tampa, Fla.

By Mike Cobb
The Lakeland Ledger

Published: Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Pittsburgh rookie center Maurkice Pouncey from Lakeland said he knows what his twin brother Mike, the starting center for the University of Florida, is going through in his move from guard to center.

Mike has struggled with his shotgun snaps, but Maurkice said his brother will get that straightened out.

“When I first moved over, I had the same thing. I had the horrible snaps, snaps everywhere,” said Maurkice, who moved from guard to center after his freshman year. “He (Mike) is such a high profile player, everyone's going to notice it. Even the commentator said it last night that he's still one of the best linemen in college football. The snaps will get better. They've been getting better all along.”

Asked if he's tried to help his brother out, Maurkice said, “Nah, I've always thought my brother was a better player than me. ... Don't tell him that, though.”

The Pittsburgh Steelers' rookie center from Lakeland says the NFL “is another level” and he's working hard every day to adjust.

Veteran Pittsburgh wide receiver Hines Ward says he will, and that he sees great things ahead for Pouncey in an organization known for great centers.

“When Maurkice gets three or four years into the league and finally figures this whole thing out, look for a lot of Pro Bowls,” Ward said after the Steelers' 38-13 win over Tampa Bay on Sunday at Raymond James Stadium.

In the win, Pouncey started and anchored a Steeler offensive line that did not allow a sack on quarterback Charlie Batch and helped Pittsburgh run for 201 yards.

It was a special moment for the former Florida Gator, playing in front of family and friends who made the trip over from Lakeland.

“It felt amazing. I'm 20 minutes from Tampa, and pretty much all of Lakeland came up here to support me,” he said.

His twin brother Mike, the starting center at Florida, couldn't make the trip down because the Gators had practice.

Maurkice said he purchased 12 tickets for the game, but added, “a lot of people from Lakeland bought their own tickets.”

Pouncey was Pittsburgh's first-round selection, the No. 18 overall pick. He wasn't sure how quickly he'd play, but he was in the starting lineup for the Steelers' opener and each week continues to be a learning experience, he said.

“They told me when I first started it was going to be a slow process,” Pouncey said, “but (earning a starting spot) happened and I'm happy it happened.

“I'm feeling pretty good, but every week, it's something new,” he said. “You've got to learn something new every week. It's not like you have the same points every week.”

It's much different than it was in college, he said.

“It's another level. In college, if we were going right, I'm pointing right. Up here, it might be you've got a backside point.”

What's important, Ward noted, is that Pouncey is picking things up.

“He's had a lot of help from all of the veterans. Right now, he's learning on the run.”

Ward has been one of the veterans who has helped Pouncey.

“I remember calling him after he got drafted. I called him on his cell phone and said, ‘You're a Pittsburgh Steeler now. Welcome in.' ”

From 1964 to 2006, the Steelers had only four starting centers – Ray Mansfield (1964-75), Mike Webster (1976-88), Dermontti Dawson (1989-2000) and Jeff Hartings (2001-06).

“In Pittsburgh, we're known for our centers,” Ward said. “He (Pouncey) is going to be right there following in the footsteps of those guys. He's going to be a great one.

“When the game slows down and he starts seeing the defense and making the calls, he's going to have Pro Bowl after Pro Bowl after Pro Bowl.

“I love everything about the kid – the tenacity, he doesn't quit. Unfortunately, I hate him because he's a Gator,” said Ward, a Georgia alum, “but I love everything about him.”

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2010 ... ?p=2&tc=pg (http://www.gainesville.com/article/20100928/articles/100929516?p=2&tc=pg)