PDA

View Full Version : reason #1 BSPN stinks

JTP53609
09-28-2010, 08:33 AM
On Sunday Night I decided to watch Sportscenter (I usually do not) they talk about the cowboys/texans game and for literally 12 minutes, they showed the highlight and then talked about it with the panel and brought in ed werder and mortenson. I could not believe they actually can talk about a team so long in a hour long sport segment.
It just got on my nerves because it is not like they pitched a shutout or played a perfect game, they beat a team who has never made the playoffs and is suppose to be the "other" texas team, let me just say..
I HATE THE COWBOYS!!!!

Another thing, all this talk about how they are the best football franchise, why does it seem that when they are on the road there are not many cowboy fans, but anytime the STEELERS are on the road commentators such as Gus Johnson think they are in Downtown Pittsburgh...
Did I mention I HATE THE COWBOYS!!!

proudpittsburgher
09-28-2010, 08:42 AM
It gets on my nerves too . . . a team with the following the Steelers have should be talked about, especially when they deserve it. I'd say a 3-0 start under the circumstances warrants it. The Cowboys, on the other hand, have had two embarrasing losses . . . get a good win under their belt, and they are beating the hype machine as the best team in the NFC again. Seriously, ESPN doesn't really investigate and report anything anymore, they just jump to the sexy story from week to week and change their mind every other week as to who is the best. It's getting as bad as some of the fan sites anymore. Do they forget that Steelers fans took over Big D last time they played there?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-28-2010, 08:45 AM
I am rapidly becoming as cynical about the sports media as I am the "regular" media. No integrity, just bubble heads and ratings.

proudpittsburgher
09-28-2010, 09:05 AM
I am rapidly becoming as cynical about the sports media as I am the "regular" media. No integrity, just bubble heads and ratings.

As a member of the "media" I regret that I am in agreement with you. But, I have noticed that there are less "media" members on ESPN, and more former players, which explains a lot.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-28-2010, 09:27 AM
The Steeler fan base is the same whether you talk about them or not.

The Cowboys fan base is about as fairweather as you will find with any sports franchise that has had so much historic success.

anger 82&95
09-28-2010, 10:11 AM
There has been an incredible amount of recent focus by BSPN on the poor starts by Dallas and Minnesota. I keep wondering if it might make more sense to spend a bit more time covering teams that are actually winning! Regarding Dallas, they have been perennial chokers with "Romo" at the QB position, so why continue to hold them in such high regard.

AngryAsian
09-28-2010, 10:12 AM
I could give a rats azzz about what the media will hype up or not. We've never been the sexy pick and it really doesn't matter. Our fan base speaks volumes and I prefer flying under everybody's radar. That's how we did it on our last 2 SuperBowl runs... this season is shaping up to be exactly the same. Tenacious D, splash play o'plenty and a high octane offense. Screw BSPN and any other yaps that continue to underestimate this team and franchise.

JTP53609
09-28-2010, 10:37 AM
I actually could care less whether they cover us more or less, I just want them to talk about teams that deserve it, The CHIEFS for example, have beaten 2 pretty decent teams in the chargers and niners (even though the record is bad) they have a tough defense but nobody knows because the cowboys are covered win or lose....I forget who said it, but there are way too many players on these shows now and they not only cannot speak but have little insight, people like tom jackson, howie long and even trent dilfer, seem to be good but everyone else needs to go.

msp26505
09-28-2010, 10:40 AM
I could give a rats azzz about what the media will hype up or not. We've never been the sexy pick and it really doesn't matter. Our fan base speaks volumes and I prefer flying under everybody's radar. That's how we did it on our last 2 SuperBowl runs... this season is shaping up to be exactly the same. Tenacious D, splash play o'plenty and a high octane offense. Screw BSPN and any other yaps that continue to underestimate this team and franchise.

I'll borrow from the political world and say that there is a "silent majority" out there who sees through all the crap that goes on at ESPN (and on television in general) and thinks it's pretty ridiculous.

A certain percentage of that group has a strong work ethic and blue-collar mentality that is represented by the Steeler organization moreso than any other franchise in any sport.

Many of those folks probably wouldn't be as interested if the Steelers got more love from the national media.

proudpittsburgher
09-28-2010, 10:57 AM
There has been an incredible amount of recent focus by BSPN on the poor starts by Dallas and Minnesota. I keep wondering if it might make more sense to spend a bit more time covering teams that are actually winning! Regarding Dallas, they have been perennial chokers with "Romo" at the QB position, so why continue to hold them in such high regard.

for the same reason the media slobbers over Peyton Manning and predicts the Colts to always go to the super bowl, despite the fact Payton has failed/choked much more often than he has succeeded in the playoffs.

SteelHoss
09-28-2010, 11:09 AM

As a member of the "media" I regret that I am in agreement with you. But, I have noticed that there are less "media" members on ESPN, and more former players, which explains a lot.

As an older school former member of the media ('70s) I'm not so sure that former players are soley to blame. :(

proudpittsburgher
09-28-2010, 11:24 AM

As an older school former member of the media ('70s) I'm not so sure that former players are soley to blame. :(

Certainly not solely to blame, but they are a big part. I think TV coverage in general, especially with print media, has kind of ruined the business, as far as being professional and objective are concerned. With blogs, twitter, etc, it's all about being first and having a short memory about the times you are wrong about something, And, oh yea, a journalist always coming off like they know for a fact something is going to happen, despite being proven wrong any number of times. Goes back to that short memory stuff.

JTP53609
09-28-2010, 11:25 AM

for the same reason the media slobbers over Peyton Manning and predicts the Colts to always go to the super bowl, despite the fact Payton has failed/choked much more often than he has succeeded in the playoffs.

I agree with you on all that you said, but for some reason I do not mind when the media loves on Peyton, because I think that Peyton is the best player at his position of all time, he did choke at times in the playoffs but there are times when he played very well in playoff losses. Maybe it is just my hatred for the cowboys, but the peyton media love fair does not bother me as much....

proudpittsburgher
09-28-2010, 11:51 AM

I agree with you on all that you said, but for some reason I do not mind when the media loves on Peyton, because I think that Peyton is the best player at his position of all time, he did choke at times in the playoffs but there are times when he played very well in playoff losses. Maybe it is just my hatred for the cowboys, but the peyton media love fair does not bother me as much....

I totally know why It gets to me more than the average guy, I live in Indiana now. But I agree that he could go down as the best QB of all time, but when it comes down to picking playoff teams, why is it that everyone ignores the fact that he chokes more often than he duplicated his regular season performances in the playoffs? No one brings it up. ever, and it is pretty relevant to the discussion.

brothervad
09-28-2010, 12:51 PM
I was thinking about over the weeks why the Steelers get so little attention. I mean 3-0 with their 4th QB in under Center.

Why is the Dallas soap opera so compelling?

Then it dawned on me...

"The Steelers are doing great" ho hum tell me something new...that's not sexy (ESPN)

Success has bred contempt...now if the Steelers were 0-3 and in tatters then they would be the talk of the town...

The Steelers being great is business as usual...Big D is TNT (They Know Drama :) )

It sucks but it is true...Dallas always underacheives and they have an A-Hole owner, Their QB dates Hollywood types, Disension between players vs players, players vs. former players (Mike Irvin anyone?)...blah, blah, freaking blah.

Dallas is a media frenzy for a 24x7 sports news cycle

What does Pittsburgh have? Relatively speaking-- Boring owner, Boring coach, a team that plays as a team, very little disension aired out in public, former players who adore the franchise...

that is why ESPN and other outlets could care a less...

The Steelers are dead last in self inflicted Drama...that is one area I root for them to alwasy be in last place.

brothervad

papillon
09-28-2010, 01:19 PM

Sanity and logic in excess if I do say so myself. :Bow :P

Pappy

anger 82&95
09-28-2010, 01:20 PM
I was thinking about over the weeks why the Steelers get so little attention. I mean 3-0 with their 4th QB in under Center.

Then it dawned on me...

"The Steelers are doing great" ho hum tell me something new...that's not sexy (ESPN)

Success has bred contempt...now if the Steelers were 0-3 and in tatters then they would be the talk of the town...

The Steelers being great is business as usual...Big D is TNT (They Know Drama :) )

It sucks but it is true...Dallas always underacheives and they have an A-Hole owner, Their QB dates Hollywood types, Disension between players vs players, players vs. former players (Mike Irvin anyone?)...blah, blah, freaking blah.

What does Pittsburgh have? Relatively speaking-- Boring owner, Boring coach, a team that plays as a team, very little disension aired out in public, former players who adore the franchise...

The Steelers are dead last in self inflicted Drama...that is one area I root for them to alwasy be in last place.

brothervad
While some ESPN “experts” may recognize the Steelers as being somewhat pedestrian, what do the Cowboys offer today? Granted, they have a somewhat storied history, but now they are a team with an erratic quarterback, a decent tight end and a meddlesome owner with a permanent facial grimace reminiscent of a test pilot in a 1950’s rocket sled test.

proudpittsburgher
09-28-2010, 01:28 PM

Then it dawned on me...

brothervad
While some ESPN “experts” may recognize the Steelers as being somewhat pedestrian, what do the Cowboys offer today? Granted, they have a somewhat storied history, but now they are a team with an erratic quarterback, a decent tight end and a meddlesome owner with a permanent facial grimace reminiscent of a test pilot in a 1950’s rocket sled test.

They bring the TMZ audience to sports talk, which ESPN wants to grab a share of.

brothervad
09-28-2010, 01:32 PM

Then it dawned on me...

brothervad

They bring the TMZ audience to sports talk, which ESPN wants to grab a share of.

Bingo! Steelers aren't TMZ material.

brothervad

RuthlessBurgher
09-28-2010, 01:39 PM
The Steelers are dead last in self inflicted Drama.

Were you in a coma for this entire offseason?

brothervad
09-28-2010, 02:01 PM

No...but I guess for you one incident makes a pattern...geez

And IIRC when we have those moments of drama the media queens at ESPN are all over it.

Remember Hines comments about Ben and the concussion last year? ESPN started acting like a Civil War was going to break out in the Steelers locker room.

Dude...just cause one incident happens...it doesn't make it a common occurence. But thanks for pointing to debate an otherwise valid point.

:)

brothervad

anger 82&95
09-28-2010, 02:16 PM

No...but I guess for you one incident makes a pattern...geez

And IIRC when we have those moments of drama the media queens at ESPN are all over it.

Remember Hines comments about Ben and the concussion last year? ESPN started acting like a Civil War was going to break out in the Steelers locker room.

Dude...just cause one incident happens...it doesn't make it a common occurence. But thanks for pointing to debate an otherwise valid point.

:)

brothervad
The whole “Stoneo Holmes” issue attracted unneeded attention also…

skyhawk
09-28-2010, 03:14 PM

I totally know why It gets to me more than the average guy, I live in Indiana now. But I agree that he could go down as the best QB of all time, but when it comes down to picking playoff teams, why is it that everyone ignores the fact that he chokes more often than he duplicated his regular season performances in the playoffs? No one brings it up. ever, and it is pretty relevant to the discussion.

Can't stand Peyton (cept for his commercials). And I am from Indiana.

But if he wins one more SB, perhaps this year, then all discussion will be moot and he will be the best all time. :evil: