PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Kugs is the man?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-27-2010, 06:43 PM
This O-line-by-committee ... Tomlin, Ariens, or Koogs?

Bold move ... and awesome results!

Oviedo
09-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Tomlin's insistence of positional flexibility and Kugler's teaching.

RuthlessBurgher
09-29-2010, 01:22 AM
I think it was born out of necessity...the big fellas get dehydrated, cramps, etc. playing two straight games in the South in extreme heat while wearing black jerseys. I doubt that we will continue to see o-lineman rotating in and out of the lineup anymore except in case of injury.

Oviedo
09-29-2010, 08:18 AM
I've said since we signed him that Kugler was our most important off season acquisition. It's proving to be true. Hopefully the improvement curve for the OL continues to climb.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-29-2010, 10:10 AM
I would put it on Koogs. I see the OL being more technicians. The also play with a nastiness & finish blocks. We are seeing them play with better leverage, better hand placement, using their feet better, going to the ground if need be, and keeping them off their body in pass pro. The little things can make a difference when you pay attention to the detail. A good coach cements in their mind that good OL use their hands & feet to engage. Get you hands on them first and move you feet. Doesn't matter how overmatched you are if you do that. If you move your feet and take away the angle...You are in a good postion to win that individual battle. That's what it is all about.

Oviedo
09-29-2010, 10:17 AM
I would put it on Koogs. I see the OL being more technicians. The also play with a nastiness & finish blocks. We are seeing them play with better leverage, better hand placement, using their feet better, going to the ground if need be, and keeping them off their body in pass pro. The little things can make a difference when you pay attention to the detail. A good coach cements in their mind that good OL use their hands & feet to engage. Get you hands on them first and move you feet. Doesn't matter how overmatched you are if you do that. If you move your feet and take away the angle...You are in a good postion to win that individual battle. That's what it is all about.

I've never been able to tell but are we still using a Zone Blocking scheme that the last coach favored or does it look like we are more man on man? I know that we have always done some ZBS so don't know if the question even makes sense.

SteelerNation1
09-29-2010, 11:08 AM
I think Pouncey is that good and makes that big of a difference!

ikestops85
09-29-2010, 12:35 PM
I think Pouncey is that good and makes that big of a difference!

I agree SN1! It's probably a combination of the Pouncey effect and Coach Koogs. The line play just seems smoother now that it isn't buckling in the center. I knew Hartwig was the weak link but I don't think I realized how much that hurt us.

steelblood
09-29-2010, 01:24 PM
We should have hired Sean Mahan. Now that guy knows technique.

flippy
09-29-2010, 02:28 PM
Last year, Max was the only legit starting calibre lineman in the lineup.

Kemo showed some promise despite his many mental mistakes throughout the year and he's improving with a full year under his belt.

Pouncey, Legs, and Hotel seem significantly more powerful than Hartwig, Essex, and Colon and that's making a huge difference.

Koogs is probably helping some with technique. But we finally have a group of players that can perform across the entire line. And I don't think we had that last year.