PDA

View Full Version : Hoke hurt - knee

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-27-2010, 01:32 AM
@SteelersDigest (on the steelers.com front page:

"One injury of note: NT Chris Hoke sprained an MCL. He'll get an MRI to determine the extent of the damage."

Jooser
09-27-2010, 06:14 AM
MAN, THAT SUCKS!

Oviedo
09-27-2010, 07:18 AM
If Hoke is out for any length of time at all, this likely means that Dixon will have to go on the IR or be released through an injury settlement so they have the roster space to bring McLendon off the practice squad again.

No way the go with less than 6 active, healthy DL on the active roster.

SteelBucks
09-27-2010, 08:05 AM
@SteelersDigest (on the steelers.com front page:

"One injury of note: NT Chris Hoke sprained an MCL. He'll get an MRI to determine the extent of the damage."

I heard it may be similar to the Leftwich injury. I hope it's not worse.

MeetJoeGreene
09-27-2010, 09:27 AM
If Hoke is out for any length of time at all, this likely means that Dixon will have to go on the IR or be released through an injury settlement so they have the roster space to bring McLendon off the practice squad again.

My thought exactly. I bet they IR Dixon this week.

Although they may very well cut someone else ...

grotonsteel
09-27-2010, 10:25 AM
I hope its not a serious injury.

Steelers will need Hoke....

Steelers D-line is looking good...and so are the backup OLBs...

Oviedo
09-27-2010, 11:24 AM

My thought exactly. I bet they IR Dixon this week.

Although they may very well cut someone else ...

Only person I think they can afford to cut would be Anthony Madison or Dwyer. I really hope it is not the latter. I think that would be a big mistake if we suffered a RB injury and didn't have Dwyer.

I think a number of players can fill in for Madison plus we will still have Allen and Battle.

SteelAbility
09-27-2010, 11:28 AM
Oh, yeah. The Steelers are now 16-1 with Hoke starting.

fordfixer
09-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Steelers Notebook: Hoke latest to join expanding injury list
Monday, September 27, 2010
By Ed Bouchette and Gene Collier, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10270/1090684-66.stm

TAMPA, Fla. -- Another game, another injury for the Steelers. This one was not sustained by a starter, but it knocked out one of their most valuable backups.

The medial collateral ligament in Chris Hoke's right knee was sprained in the final minutes of the game Sunday and he will be lost for at least two weeks, maybe more.

It was the same type of injury to quarterback Byron Leftwich's left knee that kept him out from Sept. 2 until last week. Leftwich had a second-degree sprain while the degree of injury to Hoke is not known.

"It's unfortunate, but that's how it goes, man, that's our story this year," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "So somebody will step up and play, hopefully."

Hoke started the second game of the season for Casey Hampton, who was sidelined by a hamstring injury. He has been Hampton's able backup since 2004 and is their only other true nose tackle.

The Steelers played without starting right guard Trai Essex (ankle) and without quarterback Dennis Dixon, who started the first two games but had surgery Wednesday to repair a torn menicus. Hampton and tackle Max Starks returned to play after missing the second game with injuries.
Heat exchange

The Steelers again rotated many players as they played for the second consecutive week in blistering heat and humidity. The temperature at kickoff was 90 degrees with a heat index of 100.

"We are kind of getting used to that," Tomlin said of all the players he used.

Backup offensive linemen, guard Ramon Foster and tackle Jonathan Scott, played extensively and Tomlin rotated all three halfbacks. On defense he substituted liberally on the line and linebackers.

Unlike the previous game in Tennessee, there were no reported cases of dehydration or cramping.

"It keeps us fresh," Starks said of the substitutions. "If defensive linemen can roll in every series, why can't offensive linemen?"

Starks believes the experience the backups have gained early in the season could help later.

"Injuries are inevitable and going to happen at some point," Starks said. "When you have guys who have played at one or two or multiple positions and have experience, especially this early in the year, it only adds depth to the offensive line."
Ward forward and back

Hines Ward added and subtracted from his own record book. He caught his 80th career touchdown pass, tying Jerome Bettis for No. 2 on the team's touchdown list. No. 1 belongs to Franco Harris, who scored 100.

He also ran his streak to 181 consecutive games in which he has caught a pass. That remains fifth on the all-time NFL list.

But Ward saw his career rushing yards -- most by a Steelers wide receiver -- pared from 430 to 428 when he lost 2 yards on what was ruled a lateral from Charlie Batch.
Go figure

A week ago in Nashville, Tenn., the Steelers offense managed only seven first downs, but somehow kept the ball for 33 minutes, 40 seconds. Sunday against Tampa Bay, they got 17 first downs, but only kept the ball 26:54.
Go figure II

Tampa Bay quarterback Josh Freeman, who is only 22 and in his second year, said he felt as though there was a difference in the game Sunday from some of the 13 losses the Buccaneers experienced last year.

"That loss does not feel like the losses we had last year against the Giants or the Jets. The Steelers, they didn't come in and really dominate us, but the scoreboard will tell you different."

The Jets beat them by 23 and the Giants by 24 last year, but somehow getting beat by 25 feels not so bad.
Fun with numbers

Only Deion Sanders (19) and Rod Woodson (17) have returned more interceptions for touchdowns than Tampa Bay's Ronde Barber (13).

The Steelers have won 22 of their past 26 games against NFC teams.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10270/10 ... z10kZ1DlMR (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10270/1090684-66.stm#ixzz10kZ1DlMR)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Is today the day we find out what the MRI showed?

Oviedo
09-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Is today the day we find out what the MRI showed?

Tomlin typically addresses injuries at his press conference on Tuesdays

proudpittsburgher
09-28-2010, 09:35 AM
Tampa Bay quarterback Josh Freeman, who is only 22 and in his second year, said he felt as though there was a difference in the game Sunday from some of the 13 losses the Buccaneers experienced last year.

"That loss does not feel like the losses we had last year against the Giants or the Jets. The Steelers, they didn't come in and really dominate us, but the scoreboard will tell you different."

The Jets beat them by 23 and the Giants by 24 last year, but somehow getting beat by 25 feels not so bad.

I'm glad someone else called him out on this.

JTP53609
09-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Well then....I am never going to post an article about what a good guy someone is like I did last week about Chris Hoke......I should have learned, because (now don't ban me PS) but in 1998, I met Dirt Dawson and told him how much I appreciated his game and his toughness to never really have any injuries...well, he then got hurt the next game and was in and out of the lineup for the year..

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Well then....I am never going to post an article about what a good guy someone is like I did last week about Chris Hoke......I should have learned, because (now don't ban me PS) but in 1998, I met Dirt Dawson and told him how much I appreciated his game and his toughness to never really have any injuries...well, he then got hurt the next game and was in and out of the lineup for the year..

Are you like the PS version of the SI Curse?

SteelBucks
09-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Good news on Hoke. From the Post-Gazette....

"Chris Hoke, who sprained the MCL in his right knee near the end of the game in Tampa, might be able to play this week, Tomlin said."

Read more: http://post-gazette.com/pg/10271/109097 ... z10qen2NXq (http://post-gazette.com/pg/10271/1090971-66.stm#ixzz10qen2NXq)

Oviedo
09-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Good news on Hoke. From the Post-Gazette....

"Chris Hoke, who sprained the MCL in his right knee near the end of the game in Tampa, might be able to play this week, Tomlin said."

Read more: http://post-gazette.com/pg/10271/109097 ... z10qen2NXq (http://post-gazette.com/pg/10271/1090971-66.stm#ixzz10qen2NXq)

I would really be surprised if he played. I still expect they sign McLendon off the practice squad before the end of the week.

Rest Hoke this week and then he has two weeks during the bye to get even better

JTP53609
09-28-2010, 09:49 PM

Are you like the PS version of the SI Curse?

or the madden cover curse....well look at me Mr. Curse, don't speak bad on me or else...

fordfixer
09-29-2010, 01:42 AM
Hoke's availability for Sunday in question
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, September 29, 2010
In-depth Steelers
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 01679.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_701679.html)

A sprained knee has put Chris Hoke's status for Sunday's game against the Ravens in question. But Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is not ruling out the veteran nose tackle for the 1 p.m. game. "We're hopeful that Hokie's going to make it," Tomlin said. Tomlin added that Hoke's availability will be determined by how much he is able to practice in the latter part of the week.

Right guard Trai Essex's availability is also in question. Essex missed last Sunday's game at Tampa Bay because of a sprained ankle. Doug Legursky started in Essex's place and helped the Steelers rush for 201 yards while not allowing a sack. "I think that's one of the reasons why Trai is feeling better," Tomlin said.

Other Steelers dealing with injuries include defensive end Ziggy Hood (ankle), safety Will Allen (ankle) and cornerback Anthony Madison (hamstring). All are expected to play against the Ravens, Tomlin said.

Tomlin said the Steelers have to guard against playing with too much emotion against the Ravens when the fierce rivals meet for the first time this season.

"I think that these two teams do a better job than people give them credit for as far as playing clean and controlling their emotions," Tomlin said, "because we know the game's potentially going to be tight and you can't reduce your chances of winning by hurting yourself (with penalties)."

Tomlin on the possibility that Ravens running back Ray Rice doesn't play Sunday because of a bruised knee: "I don't think it's going to change their personality whatsoever from a play-calling standpoint." ... Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall is one of three finalists for FedEx Ground Player of the Week after rushing for 143 yards and a touchdown against Tampa Bay.

Tomlin's take

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's point of view on a variety of subjects:

On the Steelers-Ravens rivalry:

"I think it's unique because it's the best rivalry in the National Football League. It's always fireworks, it's always significant. It's football the way it is supposed to be played."

On the Ravens giving up 144 rushing yards to the Browns' Peyton Hillis this past Sunday:

"The fact that Cleveland had success a week ago doesn't bode well for us. I'd have felt better if Peyton Hillis had run for 40 yards as opposed to 140 because I know the type of men that play for that team. The great defenses like the Baltimore Ravens, they usually bounce back pretty quickly."

On the dominance of the Steelers' defense:

"It's too early to be anointing us. Right now, the Baltimore Ravens have the No. 1 defense in football."

On William Gay settling into the role of nickel back after starting at cornerback in 2009:

"He's been a consummate professional. He hasn't muttered a peep. He works extremely hard. He's always ready. He's always into the game. You never have to look for him when it's sub-package football time, and he's making plays. I'm happy for him, I'm excited for him and want more of those plays from him."

On Ravens defensive tackle Haloti Ngata:

"He's very quick and fast in a short space area. He's just got it all, he really does. He's as dominant a defensive linemen as there is in football right now. If you block guys like him with one man, he's going to be in your backfield."

On Ravens wide receiver Anquan Boldin, who already has 20 catches:

"He blistered Cleveland pretty good last weekend. I watched that (Tuesday) morning. That was a horror show if you're sitting in my position."