PDA

View Full Version : Steelers look scary – and Big Ben hasn’t played

hawaiiansteel
09-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Steelers look scary – and Big Ben hasn’t played

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2010/09/ipt/1285551332.jpg?&sig=6cty4TMvK_4S_4C7z_F.QQ--

Charlie Batch (left) and Hines Ward celebrate their second-quarter TD hookup.
(Al Messerschmidt/Getty Images)

TAMPA, Fla. – The last time the Pittsburgh Steelers took the field at Raymond James Stadium, they walked away with their sixth Super Bowl title.

On Sunday, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin exited the field again looking almost as exultant as that moment in 2009. Tomlin thrust his fists to the crowd and stared with a powerful glare after the Steelers improved to 3-0 after a 38-13 thrashing of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The NFL season is only three weeks old, but Pittsburgh is once again playing like a champion and a prohibitive favorite.

And the Steelers don’t even have their two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback. Ben Roethlisberger(notes) isn’t due to return to the starting lineup until Oct. 17, but he could be returning to a situation where the table is set.

This was hardly what anybody expected from the Steelers to this point.

As owner Dan Rooney, who took in his final game Sunday before heading back to his diplomat job in Ireland, walked through the locker room, he was asked about his team’s resiliency. Having run the team since 1975 and having been part of the team since he was born in 1932, Rooney has seen it all and isn’t wont to overreact.

“This is as much as adversity as I’ve seen, but these guys have picked [Roethlisberger] up, they really have,” Rooney said. “They’ve rallied together as good as I’ve seen.”

While it’s absurd to think the Steelers will maintain this pace over a 16-game season and into the playoffs, they punctuated their start with a dominant victory Sunday. If nothing else, Pittsburgh showed what it’s capable of and that should be scary to the rest of the league.

Of course, you can qualify this by saying it’s early, that Tampa Bay isn’t as good as its 2-0 start. But this performance was decisive and thorough. Moreover, it comes in the face of those who thought this season was going to be a struggle to make up for the first four games of Roethlisberger’s suspension. A month ago, most analysts thought the Steelers would be lucky to go 2-2.

“We all heard that stuff and that’s fine,” veteran wide receiver Hines Ward(notes) said. “But we have a lot of people in this locker room who understand how to play together and get things done when things aren’t exactly how we want them to be.”

Leading the way is Tomlin, who has made it his personal mission to tap into every motivational tactic he can find to make his team believe it can be great, even without Roethlisberger.

This week, Tomlin threw little barbs in every direction. With 35-year-old quarterback Charlie Batch(notes) getting his first start since 2007, Tomlin harped on the old guys. Batch took over for injured backup Dennis Dixon(notes).

“Yeah, he kept saying, ‘Don’t be a declining veteran,’ ” said linebacker James Farrior(notes), one of Pittsburgh’s 17 guys on the roster who are 30 or older. Farrior is one of three (Batch and Flozell Adams(notes) are the others) 35-year-olds, which is downright ancient in this game. “Of course he’s talking to me and Hines and Aaron [Smith] and Brett [Keisel]. Most of us older guys, that just goes in one ear and out the other.”

Really? Because it sure seems like the Steelers are playing with a “We’ll prove you wrong” mentality.

“Anybody who says they predicted we would be 3-0, they’re lying,” Ward said. “We know that, but that’s OK.”

It also seems to be OK if the Steelers play make-believe. After the game, Tomlin went so far as to call Raymond James Stadium a “hostile” environment. When a reporter pointed out that almost half the stadium seemed to be wearing black-and-gold rather than the home pewter-and-red, Tomlin admitted that he occasionally indulges in fantasy.

“We like to get painted in a corner and I was probably looking for it,” Tomlin said with a sly grin. “We like to use the us-against-the-world mentality.”

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2010/09/ipt/1285532626.jpg

Wallace pulls in his 46-yard first-half TD.
(Kim Klement/US Presswire)

With Batch starting, the logical thinking was that the Steelers would again keep things close to the vest, particularly after his first pass of the game was intercepted. Instead, Pittsburgh played aggressive. On their third possession, the Steelers opened with a double reverse to wide receiver Mike Wallace(notes) for a loss of a yard, then Batch went deep to Wallace for a 46-yard touchdown pass.

Two possessions later, the Steelers kept the playbook wide open as Batch again went deep to Wallace. Bucs cornerback Aqib Talib(notes) missed an interception and tipped the ball to Wallace to give the Steelers a 21-6 lead.

At that point, the game was basically over. The Steelers grinded out a 79-yard drive to finish the first half with a 28-6 lead and then spent the rest of the game hammering young Tampa Bay quarterback Josh Freeman(notes). He was sacked on each of Tampa Bay’s first two possessions of the second half and the third possession ended with Keisel returning a tipped interception 79 yards for a score to make it 38-6.

In three games, the Steelers have forced 10 turnovers. That works out to 53.3 for the season, which is unreasonable to expect.

That’s where the return of Roethlisberger comes in. While he is sure to get plenty of criticism for his off-field behavior, there is no doubting his talent. Roethlisberger is a dynamic passer, even if he is somewhat unconventional. He has twice posted a season quarterback rating of more than 100 in the past three years.

And he’s going to be driven.

“If we can go 4-0 without Ben and we know what he can do once he gets back out there, we’re going to be fine,” Ward said. “I know Ben, he’s disappointed because he’s not with us, but he’ll do fine when he gets back to our team. He had a great training camp, really flawless, really improved his reads.”

Left tackle Max Starks(notes), who has been with the Steelers for seven seasons, including two Super Bowls, likes what he sees, even without Roethlisberger.

“I really think this is one of the two best teams we’ve had since I got here,” Starks said. “Really, I believe that right now and we still haven’t gotten Ben back.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=j ... tben092610 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-steelerswithoutben092610)

SteelAbility
09-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Steelers look scary – and Big Ben hasn’t played

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports

While it’s absurd to think the Steelers will maintain this pace over a 16-game season and into the playoffs, they punctuated their start with a dominant victory Sunday. If nothing else, Pittsburgh showed what it’s capable of and that should be scary to the rest of the league.

Barring injury I don't see why not. When Ben gets back and the O can move the ball reliably, this defense's dominance is only going to elevate. So far, outside Steeler games, our opponents are 6-0 (although, ATL was a lucky win today ... OK, so they are 5-1 for all intents and purposes).

feltdizz
09-27-2010, 09:05 AM
“Anybody who says they predicted we would be 3-0, they’re lying,” Ward said. “We know that, but that’s OK.”

sorry Hines but I predicted 4-0. I always think the Steelers will win. Well, I will admit I didn't see us beating the Colts in 2005. But I think that was the only time I ever had a feeling we would lose going into a game and I was happy to be proven wrong.

SteelAbility
09-27-2010, 09:33 AM
That photo of Batch and Ward is bordering dangerously on a "Caption This" level.

RuthlessBurgher
09-27-2010, 10:41 AM
That photo of Batch and Ward is bordering dangerously on a "Caption This" level.

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2010/09/ipt/1285551332.jpg?&sig=6cty4TMvK_4S_4C7z_F.QQ--

After watching "Jerry Maguire" the night before, and motivated to talk like a Pirate while playing against the Buccaneers with the Flying Dutchman located in the end zone, Batch says to Ward while in a warm embrace, "YOU COMPLETE ME PASSES. ARRGH."

SteelAbility
09-27-2010, 11:35 AM

After watching "Jerry Maguire" the night before, and motivated to talk like a Pirate while playing against the Buccaneers with the Flying Dutchman located in the end zone, Batch says to Ward while in a warm embrace, "YOU COMPLETE ME PASSES. ARRGH."

To which Ward replies ...

"Aye Surrrhh! Tunoit ... we drrrrrink!"

Dee Dub
09-27-2010, 12:22 PM

sorry Hines but I predicted 4-0. I always think the Steelers will win. Well, I will admit I didn't see us beating the Colts in 2005. But I think that was the only time I ever had a feeling we would lose going into a game and I was happy to be proven wrong.

And I said 15-1......and Rashard Mendenhall breaks the Steeler single season rushing record of 1695. :wink:

aggiebones
09-27-2010, 12:34 PM
So I love what's going on here (not the picture). But I have this bad creeping feeling of what this board will be like if Ben comes back to a 4-0 team and lays an egg against Cleveland, maybe a costly pick 6. Then follows that up with going 1-3 in those next 4 games. It is possible, we've seen this team go on slides.
Sadly for Ben, I think they set the bar too high for him now and reaching the Super Bowl is his only salvation some loudmouth fans.

That said I can totally see a Steelers - Philly matchup in Dallas. Boy that will piss off Cowboy fans. And we'll have NOW and PETA picketing the game. :)

pepsyman1
09-27-2010, 12:48 PM
I'd rather see the Steelers and the Cowboys in the Superbowl with us giving them some payback for O'Donnell's 96 debacle in their own house.

Captain Lemming
09-27-2010, 07:13 PM
“If we can go 4-0 without Ben and we know what he can do once he gets back out there, we’re going to be fine,” Ward said. “I know Ben, he’s disappointed because he’s not with us, but he’ll do fine when he gets back to our team. He had a great training camp, really flawless, really improved his reads.”

What a HATER!!!!!!

Shaddup Hines with your constant Ben bashing!!!! :lol:

Steeler Shades
09-27-2010, 08:00 PM
But I have this bad creeping feeling of what this board will be like if Ben comes back to a 4-0 team and lays an egg against Cleveland, maybe a costly pick 6. Then follows that up with going 1-3 in those next 4 games. It is possible, we've seen this team go on slides.
Yes - it is possible. Ben has definitely lost his fair share of games. All we expect of the Ben substitutes is not to lose games and to let the defense win them. What I fear more than Ben coming back and causing more damage than our defense can erase is another Ben post game interview where he says it's all on him. Please... if you aren't going to help win games just don't lose them. I also hope that I have seen the last under thrown ball from him to a WR. Is his arm really weaker than Batch's and Lefty's? 8)

Crash
09-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Um, Batch underthrew both deep balls yesterday. And Ben doesn't underthrow as much as you guys think he does.

SteelCrazy
09-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Um, Batch underthrew both deep balls yesterday. And Ben doesn't underthrow as much as you guys think he does.

But Ben does underthrow more then you think he does....

there isn''t a whole lot of thinking needed here. Ben underthrows at least 40% of his deep balls, maybe a little more.

Sugar
09-27-2010, 08:59 PM
I'd rather see the Steelers and the Cowboys in the Superbowl with us giving them some payback for O'Donnell's 96 debacle in their own house.

Sorry, I don't want to see the Cowboys anywhere near a Super Bowl- especially this year! 8)

Perhaps the Giants, Redskins or Eagles... :twisted:

Crash
09-27-2010, 09:08 PM

there isn''t a whole lot of thinking needed here. Ben underthrows at least 40% of his deep balls, maybe a little more.

That's absurd. Not even close. His deep ball was a big problem in 2005 when he jammed his thumb before the 2005 Bengals game in Heinz.

Other than that? His deep passing has been pretty consistent.

hawaiiansteel
09-27-2010, 09:15 PM
If the Steelers get to 4-0 just before Big Ben's return, watch out

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2010/writers/jerome_bettis/09/27/week3/troy-polamalu-bucs.jpg

With Troy Polamalu back, Pittsburgh's defense is hitting on all cylinders

• The Steelers are a Super Bowl contender. If you had predicted in August that the Steelers would be 3-0 and on their fourth quarterback going into Week 4, even I would have laughed. But here they are. The defense stepped up and put that team on its back. Troy Polamalu and Co. understood from the start that they needed to carry the load without their starting quarterback.

It takes me back to Week 1 of 2009, when Pittsburgh lost Polamalu to an MCL injury. At the time I said the defense was merely "good" without him. I was right. You see now what kind of defense they are with him. Two touchdowns allowed in three games. Ten turnovers forced. They're devastating.

Forget about Ben Roethlisberger's nearing a return and that offense for a moment. What makes the Steelers a great team is the defense. A Super Bowl contender is not a team that scores 40 point per game -- though that helps -- but a team marked by a dominating defense. I'm not definitively saying they're going to the Super Bowl, but you can ask anybody and they'll say the Steelers have a championship-caliber defense. (Side note: I enjoyed watching former teammate Brett Keisel take an interception back for a touchdown Sunday. I always knew he had those shifty moves, I just wasn't sure if he had enough gas in the tank to make it to the end zone.)

The Steelers have two hurdles to clear the next couple weeks. First, an important division game at home vs. Baltimore in Week 4. It's going to be tough, make no mistake about it. It's a similar situation to when the teams played in Week 12 of 2009.

Roethlisberger was out, and Dennis Dixon nearly pulled off the upset. Given that, Charlie Batch can definitely go out there and provide enough offense to win. He just has to be careful with the football and make sure to create big plays for his offense and not the Ravens defense.

After Baltimore, Roethlisberger comes back with a bye in Week 5 and Cleveland in Week 6. Fitting him back into the puzzle won't be a problem. This has always been his offense. Nothing has changed in that regard. If the Steelers can beat the Ravens and get their quarterback at 4-0, watch out.

• I expect Bill Cowher to be coaching again very soon. I can tell Coach Cowher misses the game. He did the right thing leaving three years ago to spend time with his family and should be commended for it. The situation is right for him to come back. He's a Hall of Fame coach, just 53, and could have a number of openings to choose from.

Could he enter a rebuilding situation? Yes, but with prerequisites. He needs a proven quarterback, and because of that I look at Eli Manning and the Giants. If that team keeps heading in its current direction, a coaching change is going to be imminent. Some people point to Dallas as a possibility for Cowher, but I'm not so sure. Coach Cowher is very used to a certain type of ownership. The Rooney family provided him leeway in Pittsburgh and let him handle football decisions. I don't see Coach Cowher and Jerry Jones being on the same page.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... z10mYxvPOj (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jerome_bettis/09/27/week3/#ixzz10mYxvPOj)

Crash
09-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Braylon Edwards' punishment was more than fair.

Of course it was Jerome, Edwards was not suspended despite his "pattern of behavior" and he's black.

SteelCrazy
09-27-2010, 10:13 PM

That's absurd. Not even close. His deep ball was a big problem in 2005 when he jammed his thumb before the 2005 Bengals game in Heinz.

Other than that? His deep passing has been pretty consistent.

Absurd? Maybe I'm just stupid, but I watch the games you do and I see a lot his deep balls fall short, meaning the WR has to stop or slow down allowing the DB a play on the ball. He has the arm to make the throws, I believe he is worried he'll overthrow the target, so he takes a little off.

RuthlessBurgher
09-27-2010, 10:23 PM

Of course it was Jerome, Edwards was not suspended despite his "pattern of behavior" and he's black.

Okay, I have no idea where this quote came from. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the thread topic, and you seemed to just pluck it out of thin air to further this ongoing racial agenda of yours that Goodell is some sort of self-loathing white guy who only punishes only other white guys and lets anyone of color get off scott free no matter what the offense. Frankly, that viewpoint is not only tiresome, but it is to the point of being embarrassing. You are embarrassing yourself and embarrassing the board by continuing with this ridiculous drivel in which everything is racially motivated in your mind. What about the fact that after the 3 man pile drive of Vince Young, only "black" James Harrison was fined but "white" Aaron Smith and "white bearded" Brett Keisel were not? If you want to discuss the relative merits of league discipline, that's fine...but merely discuss whether or not the act itself was worthy of fine or suspension or whatever. None of us care if the player being disciplined is black, white, purple, married, divorced, owned a bar with a supposed drug dealer or whatever. I don't discuss league discipline by noting how "light-skinned black" Cortland Finnegan and "half-Korean" Hines Ward were both fined $5K for their scuffle early in that game. It's simply ridiculous. This is not only my personal viewpoint...I have also received PM correspondence from other non-mod posters asking if there was anything we could do to curb the constant racial undertones in many of these threads. Football is football...it isn't black or white. Let's talk football, okay? Thanks.

Captain Lemming
09-27-2010, 10:24 PM

Question Crash.
Is Edwards the only player who has a "pattern" involving alcohol?
Question 2.
Are the only players who escaped suspension despite said pattern of one ethnicity?

I know the answer and I suspect you do too.

Why must you make it a race thing Crash when YOU KNOW better.

Crash
09-27-2010, 10:27 PM

Question Crash.
Question 2.
Are the only players who escaped suspension despite said pattern of one ethnicity?

Jerome made it a race issue:

Jerome said Kobe is innocent until proven guilty when he was charged, he's black.

Jerome said Braylon's punishment with no suspension was fair when he was charged, he's black.

Jerome said Ben should be suspended even though he wasn't charged, he's white.

You can take from that what you will.

Crash
09-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Ben does underthrow at times but it's nowhere near as much as people claim.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... aints-2006 (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d801be2a7/Cedrick-Wilson-Highlight-WK-10-vs-Saints-2006)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... rowns-2006 (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d801d4ff4/Nate-Washington-Highlight-WK-14-vs-Browns-2006)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... hiefs-2006 (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d801a856d/Nate-Washington-Highlight-WK-06-vs-Chiefs-2006)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... inals-2007 (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d802dc48a/Santonio-Holmes-Highlight-WK-4-vs-Cardinals-2007)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... rowns-2007 (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8023649d/Santonio-Holmes-Highlight-WK-1-vs-Browns-2007)

The deep balls on this video below are all from 2007:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z5dqelV_8s

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... guars-2008 (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80b69058/Nate-Washington-Highlight-WK-05-vs-Jaguars-2008)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... itans-2008 (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80d8baf8/Santonio-Holmes-Highlight-WK-16-vs-Titans-2008)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09 ... iders-2009 (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d814c787b/Santonio-Holmes-Highlight-WK-13-vs-Raiders-2009)

2009 Underthrew Wallace vs. Packers.

2009 hit Wallace in Miami.

Crash
09-27-2010, 10:40 PM
Braylon punched a guy. No suspension.

Braylon was later busted driving 100 MPH. No suspension.

Braylon drives drunk. No suspension.

A clear pattern here, no suspensions.

Why?

RuthlessBurgher
09-27-2010, 10:52 PM

Why?

Before spouting off about supposed racial injustices, you should learn about the NFL discipline policies. A DUI considered to be a substance abuse violation, which has its own set of potential consequences from the league, which are completely separate from the personal conduct policy. A suspension, or lack thereof, for a drunk driving violation has nothing to do with punching a guy or any previous traffic incidents that did not involve alcohol or drugs. The only way that a DUI would result in a suspension was if that player had a history of issues with alcohol or drugs (i.e. is in the league's substance abuse program due to a prior drug or alcohol violation). This is the last post I'll make on this ridiculous racial Braylon Edwards tangent that you decided to take in the middle of a thread about how scary the Steelers look at this point, even without Ben Roethlisberger. I will not participate in such thread hijacking any further.

Crash
09-27-2010, 11:38 PM

Why?

Before spouting off about supposed racial injustices, you should learn about the NFL discipline policies. A DUI considered to be a substance abuse violation, which has its own set of potential consequences from the league, which are completely separate from the personal conduct policy. A suspension, or lack thereof, for a drunk driving violation has nothing to do with punching a guy or any previous traffic incidents that did not involve alcohol or drugs. The only way that a DUI would result in a suspension was if that player had a history of issues with alcohol or drugs (i.e. is in the league's substance abuse program due to a prior drug or alcohol violation). This is the last post I'll make on this ridiculous racial Braylon Edwards tangent that you decided to take in the middle of a thread about how scary the Steelers look at this point, even without Ben Roethlisberger. I will not participate in such thread hijacking any further.

And the guilty plea? It's funny, Braylon may go to jail for the DUI and yet the NFL lets him skate three times.

I feel Jerome Bettis is a racist. His own words prove it.

Black Kobe who was charged was innocent until proven guilty.

White Ben who was not charged should be suspended.

Same crime.

Jerome gave the black player due process and wanted the uncharged white guy suspended.

His words speak for themselves.

Crash
09-27-2010, 11:39 PM
Btw, Brandon Underwood, accused of sexual assault, no suspension.

Eric Foster, accused of sexual assault, no suspension.

Shaun Rogers, accused of sexual assault, no suspension.

But white Ben sits 4 weeks.

BURGH86STEEL
09-28-2010, 12:58 AM

This proves the point that the organization wanted Ben suspended for his OWN good. Goodell appeared not to be to harsh when enforcing the policy. He was not out to get Ben. I believe the organization was responsible for the suspension. It is what it is. Why can't you just live with it without all the crying? Your crying and complaining is not going to change a thing about the suspension. Just hope that Ben becomes a better person and player.

Crash
09-28-2010, 01:42 AM

This proves the point that the organization wanted Ben suspended for his OWN good. Goodell appeared not to be to harsh when enforcing the policy. He was not out to get Ben. I believe the organization was responsible for the suspension. It is what it is. Why can't you just live with it without all the crying? Your crying and complaining is not going to change a thing about the suspension. Just hope that Ben becomes a better person and player.

Goodell had no right to suspend Ben. If anything he made a bad situation worse by not allowing the Rooney's to do it themselves.

The Rooney's had no idea it was going to be 4-6. They thought it may be 8-10. They were not on the same page here in regards to the games Ben got from Goodell.

The NFL with their suspension, and the media with their lynching, has ruined Ben's reputation forever.

He will always be known as the guy who got away with rape, facts be damned.

eniparadoxgma
09-28-2010, 02:49 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id%C3%A9e_ ... chology%29 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id%C3%A9e_fixe_%28psychology%29)

An idée fixe is a preoccupation of mind held so firmly as to resist any attempt to modify it, a fixation. The name originates from the French [French : idée, idea + fixe, fixed]. Although not used technically to denote a particular disorder in psychology, idée fixe is used often in the description of disorders, and is employed widely in literature and everyday English.

Captain Lemming
09-28-2010, 03:07 AM

Question Crash.
Question 2.

Jerome made it a race issue:

Jerome said Kobe is innocent until proven guilty when he was charged, he's black.

Jerome said Braylon's punishment with no suspension was fair when he was charged, he's black.

Jerome said Ben should be suspended even though he wasn't charged, he's white.

You can take from that what you will.

You mean the guy who said:

“It is a situation where he has to prove his heart is in the right place,” Bettis said. “And I know from knowing Ben that his heart is in the right place.”

What a hater.
Looks like Ben did just what his friend Jerome said he should do.

On Bens suspension?
Jerome agrees with Rooney.
Rooney ACTUALLY COULD HAVE FOUGHT IT. Yet HE ENCOURAGED IT. You can argue all day long about "how long" and make stuff up but we know HE WANTED BEN SUSPENDED just like Jerome.

Does that make Rooney a hater?
When half of STEELER FANS wanted Ben suspended at one point.
Does that mean they hate Ben?

Perhaps, Bettis like Rooney, like The Commish, like me, like HALF OF ALL STEELER FANS at one point, felt the discipline was best for Ben.

Once again:

“It is a situation where he has to prove his heart is in the right place,” Bettis said. “And I know from knowing Ben that his heart is in the right place.”

Sounds to me like a guy who hates Ben because he is white. :roll:

Crash
09-28-2010, 04:59 AM
Yet HE ENCOURAGED IT.

Rooney wanted to suspend Ben himself, Goodell wouldn't let him. It's Rooney's right to try and "scare" Ben straight, Ben works for him.

Ben AGREED to a two game rip (IMO those two games are what Rooney described as the "consequences" that Ben was willing to accept after having numerous meetings with Ben), but Goodell made it 4-6.

What a hater.
Looks like Ben did just what his friend Jerome said he should do.

Friend my a$$. The minute Jerome called for Ben to be suspended? That proved what kind of "friend" Jerome was.

Would this also be the same "friend" who insists that a two time captain and a one time team MVP is still not accepted in the locker room?

Why didn't Jerome suspend himself in 2002 when he was accused? Oh that's right, Fat Boy believed in innocent until proven guilty when he was the one accused didn't he?

Seems to me Jerome only believes in due process and innocent until proven guilty for black athletes but not white ones.

Again, his words, speak for itself.