PDA

View Full Version : William Gay was very good today...

steelblood
09-26-2010, 04:40 PM
His nickel coverage was tight all day. I think the role suits him well.

On his sack, he used a great arm over move to beat the LT.

Gay isn't a board favorite, but I think he's played 3 good games so far this season. Excellent replacement for Deshea.

birtikidis
09-26-2010, 07:30 PM
He's a nickel guy, and always will be. but hey, it's a good role for him and he's good at it so, no shame.

NorthCoast
09-26-2010, 09:00 PM
Sorry, but Gay and good don't belong in the same sentence. Maybe his play looked good on a relative basis, but he won't make us forget a real CB any time soon. Credit LeBeau for creating a scheme that matches his strengths. Something BA knows very little about........

steelblood
09-26-2010, 09:37 PM
Northcoast,

Gay was terrible last season. But, he was very effective (even as a starter) the year we won the Super Bowl. Maybe, he will end up being a great nickel, maybe not. But, if you can't appreciate good play because you are angry about past bad play, well, that is just sad. I invite you to watch this game again. He had a good day, and it wasn't all scheme that did it.

SteelAbility
09-26-2010, 09:56 PM
The nickel is the right situation for Gay. He's played well in it. He simply doesn't have the physicality for every-down corner play.

hawaiiansteel
09-26-2010, 10:03 PM
The nickel is the right situation for Gay. He's played well in it. He simply doesn't have the physicality for every-down corner play.

you mean like this?

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06OB7Nd2H2a10/x610.jpg

aggiebones
09-26-2010, 10:06 PM
He's not as bad as he looked last year and not as good as he looks now.
Taking Troy in and out really affects a CB in this system.

I think Townsend had a few nice plays for us and you could say he had help too.

sentinel33
09-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Gay also played well on special teams today. Avery solid all-around game for him. But yeah,hawaiianssteel, like that. Thats also Adrian Peterson. two players who are leagues apart. Thanks for the pic though. i was at that game so thats good memories.

stlrz d
09-26-2010, 10:12 PM

you mean like this?

Gay isn't the only DB that AP's done that to. Hell, he's done it to linebackers too.

SteelAbility
09-26-2010, 10:37 PM

you mean like this?

Amongst others. Don't know if you remember the GB game last year. There were two or three plays where the WR caught the ball then plowed into Gay for another 3-4 yards. A FREAKING WR.

steelcurtain44
09-27-2010, 11:14 AM
Sorry, but Gay and good don't belong in the same sentence. Maybe his play looked good on a relative basis, but he won't make us forget a real CB any time soon. Credit LeBeau for creating a scheme that matches his strengths. Something BA knows very little about........

Didnt' his offense put up 31 points yesterday? It doesn't matter what the Steelers offense does. If they suck it's because of Arians, if they are good, it's in spite of Arians. It's becoming a broken record on this message board.

ikestops85
09-27-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm in the minority on this board when it comes to Gay ... not that there is anything wrong with that. Gay played a very good corner in 2008 when he basically put McFadden on the bench. Gay played a very lousy corner last year although Ike didn't play any better and he seems to get a pass.

Anyway, Gay seems to have gotten his confidence back and I think that shows in his play. If his confidence stays high he is a very good DB and I'm glad he stayed on the team.

hawaiiansteel
09-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Gay likes being on the bottom... :lol:

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1084154/31777508E.jpg

Ghost
09-27-2010, 03:20 PM
There were times last season when Gay was the worst player on the field, for either team. Yesterday he perfomed well and should get kudos. The combination of getting a little confidence back along with going to the nickle may prove to be a nice combination. I'm happy to see him do well. The sack was an excellent play.

SteelHoss
09-27-2010, 05:18 PM
I'm in the minority on this board when it comes to Gay ... not that there is anything wrong with that. Gay played a very good corner in 2008 when he basically put McFadden on the bench. Gay played a very lousy corner last year although Ike didn't play any better and he seems to get a pass.

Anyway, Gay seems to have gotten his confidence back and I think that shows in his play. If his confidence stays high he is a very good DB and I'm glad he stayed on the team.

:Agree If the coaches didn't think he could play he wouldn't be where he is. There were members of this board that were dissin Ryan Clark too. Ha! I won't go any further.

msp26505
09-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Did anyone else laugh when the announcer said, "Gay lays the wood to him"?

(I'm 42 going on 13) :mrgreen:

ikestops85
09-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Did anyone else laugh when the announcer said, "Gay lays the wood to him"?

(I'm 42 going on 13) :mrgreen:

I didn't then but I laughed now :lol: :lol: :lol:

flippy
09-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Gay's at his best in the slot.

I've always been a big Gay fan and thought he was a great 6th round pick. He doesn't fit the mold of a Steelers' starting CB, but the coaches thought so highly of what he did in the slot in 08 that they gave him a chance a la Deshea. Big mistake and we rectified it by getting BMac back and putting Gay back where he can excel.

And he continues where he left off in 08.

It's good to be Gay again.

RuthlessBurgher
09-29-2010, 02:34 AM
Gay's at his best in the slot.

I've always been a big Gay fan and thought he was a great 6th round pick. He doesn't fit the mold of a Steelers' starting CB, but the coaches thought so highly of what he did in the slot in 08 that they gave him a chance a la Deshea. Big mistake and we rectified :moon :shock: :lol: it by getting BMac back and putting Gay back where he can excel.

And he continues where he left off in 08.

It's good to be Gay again.

http://thomasdolina.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Big_Gay_Al.gif

Chadman
09-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Deshea took nearly 6 years to crack a starting spot- he was a very good nickle CB that learned to become a starter.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility, that Gay will take that path in his career.