PDA

View Full Version : So do you start Batch or Lefty next week against the Ravens?

hawaiiansteel
09-26-2010, 03:14 PM
with as well as Charley played today you almost have to start him next Sunday, don't you think?

pfelix73
09-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Ummmmm. Gee.... Not sure.....

:tt1

hawaiiansteel
09-26-2010, 03:47 PM
but wasn't Lefty brought in to be our QB in Ben's absence? can you lose that job due to injury, if Lefty is healthy again doesn't he regain the job?

I know you play the guy who gives you the best chance to win and Batch played great today after that first interception...Tomlin will most likely give him the nod again.

but can we overcome the Ravens if Batch throws two interceptions again? and the one long TD pass to Wallace should have been intercepted as well...

cfc107
09-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Batch. He has the hot hand, and Lefty probably still isnt 100% and is rusty.

RuthlessBurgher
09-26-2010, 04:04 PM

:Agree

Steelgal
09-26-2010, 04:10 PM
but wasn't Lefty brought in to be our QB in Ben's absence? can you lose that job due to injury, if Lefty is healthy again doesn't he regain the job?

I know you play the guy who gives you the best chance to win and Batch played great today after that first interception...Tomlin will most likely give him the nod again.

but can we overcome the Ravens if Batch throws two interceptions again? and the one long TD pass to Wallace should have been intercepted as well...

Kevin Kolb lost his job to Michael Vick based on the same circumstance. Charlie is a long time Steeler/leader and has deserved to keep the job after his performance this week.

Djfan
09-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Batch. I have been calling for him since preseason.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-26-2010, 04:48 PM
Batch.

Besides, chances are good that Charlie will injure himself sometime during the game (like during the pre-game warmups), so Lefty will likely play anyway.

chiken
09-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Gotta be batch..
and yes we can survive 2 picks against the Ravens.. Their Offense is brutal right now.

The Man of Steel
09-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Here's Batch's highlights from today's game in case any of you think this is a tough choice to make

http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-st ... highlights (http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/09000d5d81ad73e0/Week-3-Charlie-Batch-highlights)

Crash
09-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Batch got lucky on TD #2, and his first throw was a bad one but for the most part he was solid with the football.

hawaiiansteel
09-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Ed: Batch Saves the Day

SUNDAY, 26 SEPTEMBER 2010 18:40 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

The Charlie Batch story just keeps getting better.

Mike Tomlin and his coaching staff could not have ignored Batch any more all spring and all summer unless they had cut him from the team. And that is precisely what they planned to do to start the season.

They did not think it necessary to carry three quarterbacks for the first four games, knowing one would have to be cut when Ben Roethlisberger returned Oct. 4 to get ready to play the fifth game. And if they kept Batch on the team, they would have to pay him his entire salary, even though it is only $855,000, a virtual drop in the NFL golden bucket these days.

Things became quite complicated when Byron Leftwich went down with a sprained MCL Sept. 2. That meant they had to keep Batch until Leftwich returned to full health because the only one left was Dennis Dixon.

There was talk among the coaches right after Leftwich’s injury that Batch would start. However, Mike Tomlin snubbed the old-timer again when he went with Dixon in the opener. The Steelers won in spite of Dixon. When Dixon tore up his knee in the second game, Batch came on without having any snaps all summer or even leading up to the game in Tennessee with the first team, and nursed home that victory.

Sunday, he was phenomenal in Tampa. Yes, he was intercepted on his first pass when he tried to will his 35-year-old arm to throw a Ben Roethlisberger-like pass across his body while running to the right. But then he threw three TD passes and guided the offense like the veteran he is.

I don’t think Batch would be able to make it as the starting quarterback anymore for a 16-game season. But he was perfect for what they needed Sunday in Tampa, and he’ll be back in the pocket next week against a more formidable defense in the Baltimore Ravens. Do not sell him short on that case, either.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... twittervia (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/steelers/105296-ed-batch-saves-the-day?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twittervia)

Relentless7
09-26-2010, 08:03 PM
That's one of the greatest fallacies in all of sports. You absolutely, positively, unequivocally CAN lose your job to injury. It happens EVERY single day in sports.

Charlie should start and really shouldn't even be a discussion.

proudpittsburgher
09-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Batch. I have been calling for him since preseason.

As have I DJ. It's batch, and it isn't a question.

AkronSteel
09-26-2010, 08:29 PM
I don't think there is any question that Charlie should start next week. His performance today earned him that right!!! The guy is crafty and he knows the offense so well....I truly think he will perform well next week against Baltimore. With the way that Baltimore played run defense today against the Clowns...they could be in serious trouble next week against Rashard and Red Zone!!! You could start to see some cracks in that Ravens D....could spell serious trouble for them against the Steelers!!!

NorthCoast
09-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Batch got lucky on TD #2, and his first throw was a bad one but for the most part he was solid with the football.

Sadly the game was not on here locally so all I got were the highlights. From these I don't think I can draw the conclusion that Batch's game was 'great'. The two TDs looked pretty flukey and I see that Batch had two INTs on the day. Maybe these isolated plays are not a good sample of how he really played today, but I don't see Batch starting next week as a slam-dunk based on what I saw. Plus the Ravens will be in all out blitz mode knowing Batch is a pocket passer. Bright spot, based on what Hollis from Clev. did to their D, I gotta believe that Mendy will have a huge game.

stlrz d
09-26-2010, 09:02 PM
The second TD to Wallace was lucky.

The first was a good throw. They showed an angle from behind Batch and the DB wasn't as close to Wallace as he appeared to be from the side view.

Relentless7
09-26-2010, 09:09 PM

Sadly the game was not on here locally so all I got were the highlights. From these I don't think I can draw the conclusion that Batch's game was 'great'. The two TDs looked pretty flukey and I see that Batch had two INTs on the day. Maybe these isolated plays are not a good sample of how he really played today, but I don't see Batch starting next week as a slam-dunk based on what I saw. Plus the Ravens will be in all out blitz mode knowing Batch is a pocket passer. Bright spot, based on what Hollis from Clev. did to their D, I gotta believe that Mendy will have a huge game.

Batch might be a quote unquote "pocket passer" but I was watching the game today and noted to someone that Charlie "steps up" in the pocket to buy himself time to throw better than anyone on our roster not named Ben. Lefty is a statue back there. Dixon is clueless. Batch gives you a chance beating the rush by being able to step up and throw the ball deep. Some of his throws may have been "lucky" but there have been A LOT of quarterbacks that have made careers out of throwing up the ball and letting their WR's go up and make a play for them. That A-hole that needs a haircut up in new england comes to mind.

SteelAbility
09-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Here's Batch's highlights from today's game in case any of you think this is a tough choice to make

http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-st ... highlights (http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/09000d5d81ad73e0/Week-3-Charlie-Batch-highlights)

Dude looked pretty good there. Perhaps Batch's play opened things up for Mendy? Oh, yeah, I could almost hear Wallace telling the camera man, "That's how you be great!" :wink:

SteelAbility
09-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Batch, not even a question in my mind.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-26-2010, 10:04 PM
If I may play devil's advocate here.......and for the sake of disclosure I did not watch the game, only highlights.

Batch threw for 186 yards. Of those yards, 87 of them were the TD throws to Wallace. The first one could have easily been defended if the DB actually turns around. That was a case of Wallace beating the DB with speed and then having to turn back and wait for the ball. I don't think that it was the designed play of underthrowing the receiver because the receiver had him beat so badly. That could have easily been incomplete, no TD.

The second TD was in and out of the DBs hands. Not just tipped, but actually in his hands. That could have just as easily have been a pick in the EZ.

All else being the same it changes his day to 10-17, 99 yards, 1 TD, 3 INTs.

Now despite the praise that was heaped on them all week around here, this was still the Bucs. This was not an elite D. This D was not as good at the Titans D that we faced last week, nor as good as the Falcons D that we faced the week before. It won't be long before we see the Bucs come back to reality after wins against 0-3 Cleveland and 0-3 Carolina.

Batch was behind an Oline that did not allow a sack for the first time in recent memory and gouged holes for over 200 rushing yards.

I'm not saying that I am not thankful for a win delivered by Charlie, but I can't see this as a performance that elevates him above a healthy BL. And I do not believe that a job can't be lost during an injury, I just don't think that Batch's performance today gives him the jump.

stlrz d
09-26-2010, 10:10 PM
If I may play devil's advocate here.......and for the sake of disclosure I did not watch the game, only highlights.

Batch threw for 186 yards. Of those yards, 87 of them were the TD throws to Wallace. The first one could have easily been defended if the DB actually turns around. That was a case of Wallace beating the DB with speed and then having to turn back and wait for the ball. I don't think that it was the designed play of underthrowing the receiver because the receiver had him beat so badly. That could have easily been incomplete, no TD.

The second TD was in and out of the DBs hands. Not just tipped, but actually in his hands. That could have just as easily have been a pick in the EZ.

Now despite the praise that was heaped on them all week around here, this was still the Bucs. This was not an elite D. This D was not as good at the Titans D that we faced last week, nor as good as the Falcons D that we faced the week before. It won't be long before we see the Bucs come back to reality after wins against 0-3 Cleveland and 0-3 Carolina.

Batch was behind an Oline that did not allow a sack for the first time in recent memory and gouged holes for over 200 rushing yards.

I'm not saying that I am not thankful for a win delivered by Charlie, but I can't see this as a performance that elevates him above a healthy BL. And I do not believe that a job can't be lost during an injury, I just don't think that Batch's performance today gives him the jump.

Not true. As I posted before, they showed that play from an angle that was behind Batch and there was plenty of space between Wallace and the DB. A good couple of feet (or meters) at least. Side views on TV can be very deceiving.

hawaiiansteel
09-26-2010, 10:21 PM
Steelers Team Report

Yahoo! Sports - Inside Slant

Having flown through the Ben Roethlisberger suspension with flying colors, the Steelers will confront the purple of their most fervent foe when Baltimore comes to Heinz Field Sunday.

The Ravens will be the last team to take a shot at the Roethlisberger-less Steelers before their starting quarterback returns to play against Cleveland Oct. 17 after a bye week. Three teams have tried and failed as the Steelers have sailed through at 3-0. Baltimore brings a 2-1 record to Pittsburgh.

"No pep talk or anything to get up for Baltimore," said veteran receiver Hines Ward, who has had some classic individual tussles with the Ravens. "We know what's at stake."

http://cache.boston.com/multimedia/sports/bigshots/012209/012209bs21.jpg

The Ravens matched the Steelers' 9-7 record last season but earned a wildcard playoff berth based on a tiebreaker over what were the defending Super Bowl champions. The Steelers desperately want to get back, and they've made their statement loud and clear by sweeping their first three games without their franchise quarterback.

"Just because Ben isn't there, he is not the whole team," said three-time Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison. "He is a big part of this team, no question, but he is not the whole team. He is not going to determine if we win or lose the game. The next guy in line is just a starter in waiting and that's who we look at everybody."

The Steelers again will turn not to the next guy and not to the guy after that but the guy after that, Charlie Batch, who began the summer as their No. 4 quarterback and looking like the one to get cut.

But left knee injuries to assumed starter Byron Leftwich Sept. 2 and Dennis Dixon in the second game left coach Mike Tomlin little choice but to go with Batch to start the third game. Leftwich suited up after practicing all week but he wore a brace on his left knee and still was not 100 percent.

Batch, 35, was not sacked in Tampa Bay and threw three touchdown passes, including those of 41 and 46 yards to Mike Wallace. He ran his record to 4-1 as a starter since he arrived as a Steelers backup in 2002. His only loss? To Baltimore in 2008.

The Steelers know the Ravens' defense won't present the opportunities that Tampa Bay's did, but then Dennis Dixon took them into overtime in Baltimore last year in his first start at quarterback.

"Charlie is a great quarterback," said defensive end Brett Keisel. "Everyone in this locker room has confidence in Chuck."

TRENDING: WR Mike Wallace, who led the NFL with an average of 19.4 yards per catch, has a 26.7-yard average through three games after he caught TD passes of 46 and 41 yards vs. Tampa Bay. It's the first time in 22 years a Steelers receiver caught two scoring passes for more than 40 yards in one game.

BY THE NUMBERS: 181 -- Consecutive games in which Hines Ward has caught a pass, fifth on the all-time NFL list and closing in on No. 4, Art Monk, who had a streak of 183. Ward could reach No. 2 this season by passing Terrell Owens (whose streak ended at 183) and Marvin Harrison (190). Jerry Rice holds the record at 274.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/pit/report

sentinel33
09-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Thats a pretty good performance by Batch. He hadnt done a thing all pre-season and into the regular season and then has to come in against tennessee and a week later start a game at Tampa. on basically 8 days to get the feel of playing. The dude played like a savvy veteran whos still getting his feet under him. If we can bring a similar game against baltimore we should be victorious.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-26-2010, 10:34 PM
[quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":3rrfuy3p]If I may play devil's advocate here.......and for the sake of disclosure I did not watch the game, only highlights.

Not true. As I posted before, they showed that play from an angle that was behind Batch and there was plenty of space between Wallace and the DB. A good couple of feet (or meters) at least. Side views on TV can be very deceiving.[/quote:3rrfuy3p]

No problem D....I'll go with your observation but that also makes the TD more a function of Wallace getting wide open than a good throw by the QB. Of course Wallace is easy to underthrow so I can't post blame for not hitting him in stride, but it was still mostly on Wallace.

The TD to Hines was also him hitting an uncovered receiver. You can't take it away from him because the receiver was open, but it was not as amazing a feat as some here seem to think when they say that Batch is the automatic starter next week.

Two TDs to wide open receivers and one in and out of the hands of the DB. 2 INTs and still less than 200 yards of passing. A D that did not sack our QB once all game (when was the last time that happened?) and open holes for over 200 rushing yards with a 7.5 YPC for Mendy and 6.2 for Redman.

Could this game just be about the Bucs were who we thought they were....and we didn't let them off the hook?

stlrz d
09-26-2010, 10:40 PM
It's possible they are who we thought they were, but Batch took advantage of the opportunity given him and I think if Lefty isn't 100% Batch has got to get the nod.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-26-2010, 10:51 PM
It's possible they are who we thought they were, but Batch took advantage of the opportunity given him and I think if Lefty isn't 100% Batch has got to get the nod.

I agree that if Lefty is not 100% then I have no problem starting Batch. But if Lefty is good to go then I would start him. He forces the Baltimore D to respect the ability to get it down the field a lot more than Batch does. If Wallace can get behind the DBs like he did today then we know that BL has no problem getting it as far as it needs to go.

RuthlessBurgher
09-26-2010, 11:40 PM
I think not only does Charlie start, but I think the team decides to announce the offense coming out of the tunnel next week solely because of Batch. Typically, in a defensive struggle against the Ravens, coming off a first 3 games in which the D has been nothing short of other-worldly, they would almost certainly announce the defense in our grand return home since opening weekend. However, I think a great reward to Batch for all of his service to the team over the years would be to allow him to be announced as starting QB for the Steelers over the Heinz P.A. system in his hometown.

ikestops85
09-27-2010, 12:58 PM
For those who didn't get to see the game the highlights don't do Batch justice. He had several key 3rd down passes where he fired bullets to receivers who were covered fairly well. Two that I remember off hand were to ARE on a 3rd and long and one to Wallace on a 3rd and long. I didn't think Charlie had that type of arm strength but he threw some missiles in that game.

I think a lot of us forget that Batch was a very mobile QB in his day. He was never a typical pocket passer. He certainly showed that even though he has aged he can still move around and scramble if need be. I don't see how you don't start Batch next week.

MeetJoeGreene
09-27-2010, 01:07 PM

:Agree

+1

Slapstick
09-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Charlie Batch showed more in the TB game than anything Byron Leftwich has in the last year...

NorthCoast
09-27-2010, 07:33 PM

I get what you are driving at here. But we all know how hard it is to extrapolate from a few statistics. Again, not seeing the game, my understanding is we purposedly ran the ball a ton in the 2nd half. Batch really had no need to throw much with the kind of lead we had, therefore the low number of pass attempts. Still, I agree is was not exactly a barn burner day, but maybe extremely efficient.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-28-2010, 11:08 AM
I think Batch gets the nod. He performed well. I don't think Lefty will be 100% but pretty close. Start Batch and if he performs poorly you can go to Lefty. I'm getting the feeling this week that DD goes to IR & McClendon is brought up off PS. After the Ravens Game, McClendon is released & sent back to PS. BB, Lefty, & Batch will be the QB for the rest of the year on the 53. That gives Hokey 2 full weeks before Browns week and 3 weeks if he sits that week in practice. I really see no other option and they won't be carrying 4 QBs.