PDA

View Full Version : Cowher thinks of returning to NFL

Djfan
09-25-2010, 09:07 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_701079.html

ERIE Bill Cowher said Thursday night he misses coaching more and more every year, but he has no regrets after stepping down as Steelers' coach nearly four years ago.

"With every year, there becomes a little bit more of a void because you do miss it," said Cowher, before speaking to a crowd of about 2,000 people on the campus of Penn State-Behrend.

"But I had a chance these last few years to spend some very special time with the women in my life. For that, I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever for walking away."

Cowher's life after the NFL includes TV work on CBS, about seven speaking engagements a year corporations, high-level executives and college students and time with his family.

The latter became more important two months ago when his wife Kaye died after a bout with skin cancer.

Cowher's life revolves around his daughters Meagan, Lauren and Lindsay.

Meagan played basketball, graduated from Princeton University as the third-leading scorer in school history and was a teacher in the Bronx for two years. Cowher said she lives in Los Angeles with her fiancee, Kings hockey player Kevin Westgarth.

Lauren also is a Princeton graduate and was recently hired at a public relations firm in New York City. Lindsay is studying elementary education at Elon University, near the family's home in Raleigh, N.C.

"I am very, very proud of each and every one of them and the people they have become," he said.

A return to coaching remains on his mind, but it does not consume him, he said.

"I am not going to go back into coaching, just to go back into coaching," he said. "It has to be the right situation. And I don't know what the right situation consists of."

Cowher said he has been approached by NFL teams seeking a new head coach every year since he retired from the Steelers.

"But I never got too far into it," he said.

Cowher also spoke on several other topics:

On his recent conversations with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and whether Cowher believes he has changed his lifestyle:

"You know what? I really believe he understands the responsibility that goes with, not just being an NFL player, but being a leader on the football team and a leader in the community and, really, what your legacy needs to be.

"It is not going to be so much what you accomplish but the people you are able to influence along the way. I think he understands it.

"But only time will tell. There are no words he can say, no actions he can do to win people over immediately. Time will be the greatest thing for him in terms of allowing people to realize that he has learned from his poor judgement and become a better person."

On the Steelers' 2-0 start:

"I wouldn't say I am surprised, but I am impressed. If Ben comes back and they stay healthy, my gosh, is there a better team in football. They are the best defensive football team, without a doubt. They are looking, potentially, at home-field advantage (in the playoffs), if they stay healthy."

On the Steelers' offensive line:

"They have taken some hits there. If you can get Max (Starks) to come back and stay healthy and Trai Essex is nursing something. Flozell (Adams) is about two years younger than me."

On if HBO asked him, while he was with the Steelers, if he would allow the team to be a subject on its "Hard Knocks" series:

"I couldn't say no fast enough."

Sad story about Kaye. I'm really glad for them that he was so much more available to her than if he had been coaching still.

Good luck to him in the future.

RuthlessBurgher
09-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Excellent timing for Cowher to come out publicly to say that he is considering returning to coaching.

Consider this: Jerry Jones fought hard to get a Super Bowl in North Texas in the palace he dedicated to his own ego, and wants nothing more than to be able to host the game as the first team to play a true home game in the Super Bowl. However, they have gotten off to a less-than-impressive 0-2 start and are heading to Houston this weekend to face the red-hot Texans.

If they go 0-3 heading into their week 4 bye, Jones may want to make a desperate move to right the sinking ship. We all know that Wade Phillips, while being a solid d-coordinator in this league, is in over his head as a head coach. Jerry has deep pockets and could give Cowher a blank check to lure him out of the cozy CBS studios on Monday if the Cowboys fall to 0-3.

Dallas seems like a near ideal situation for Cowher. They run a 3-4 with a dynamic pass rushing OLB in DeMarcus Ware and an up-and-coming bookend OLB in Anthony Spencer. They have a lot of weapons to work with on offense (Romo, Witten, Austin, Bryant, Williams, Barber, Jones, Choice). They need to re-dedicate themselves to the run (a Cowher staple) after starting out the season with a ridiculously unbalanced 99 passes to 42 runs).

He may opt instead to wait for John Fox to get fired in Carolina (which seems sure to happen after how poor that team looked against Tampa last week) and take a job closer to home next season, but he would likely get more money and would have the opportunity to win sooner if he went to Dallas instead.

I personally can't stand the Cowboys and would hate to see the Chin on their sidelines, but it just makes too much sense to me from both sides to dismiss it as a possibility.

Slapstick
09-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Jerry Jones fired Chan Gailey after two seasons where the Cowboys went to the playoffs...

Would Cowher consider that an ideal situation?

John Fox is in the last year of his coaching contract...the Panthers would be close to home, they would have great draft position and Jerry Richardson is a good owner...

Hopefully, it isn't all about money for Cowher...

frankthetank1
09-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Excellent timing for Cowher to come out publicly to say that he is considering returning to coaching.

Consider this: Jerry Jones fought hard to get a Super Bowl in North Texas in the palace he dedicated to his own ego, and wants nothing more than to be able to host the game as the first team to play a true home game in the Super Bowl. However, they have gotten off to a less-than-impressive 0-2 start and are heading to Houston this weekend to face the red-hot Texans.

If they go 0-3 heading into their week 4 bye, Jones may want to make a desperate move to right the sinking ship. We all know that Wade Phillips, while being a solid d-coordinator in this league, is in over his head as a head coach. Jerry has deep pockets and could give Cowher a blank check to lure him out of the cozy CBS studios on Monday if the Cowboys fall to 0-3.

Dallas seems like a near ideal situation for Cowher. They run a 3-4 with a dynamic pass rushing OLB in DeMarcus Ware and an up-and-coming bookend OLB in Anthony Spencer. They have a lot of weapons to work with on offense (Romo, Witten, Austin, Bryant, Williams, Barber, Jones, Choice). They need to re-dedicate themselves to the run (a Cowher staple) after starting out the season with a ridiculously unbalanced 99 passes to 42 runs).

He may opt instead to wait for John Fox to get fired in Carolina (which seems sure to happen after how poor that team looked against Tampa last week) and take a job closer to home next season, but he would likely get more money and would have the opportunity to win sooner if he went to Dallas instead.

I personally can't stand the Cowboys and would hate to see the Chin on their sidelines, but it just makes too much sense to me from both sides to dismiss it as a possibility.

i would hate the chin if he came back to coach the cowboys. i would actually rather see him coach the stains. at least he played for the browns, that would be some what understandable.

Relentless7
09-25-2010, 06:14 PM

i would hate the chin if he came back to coach the cowboys. i would actually rather see him coach the stains. at least he played for the browns, that would be some what understandable.

I'd never hate Cowher for just about any reason, but that being said I just CAN'T see him and Jones co-existing in Dallas. Cowher is WAY too big of a personality to basically let someone else "pull the strings" while he is the Head coach. Similarly, I think Jerr-ah was MISERABLE when he had Parcells and Parcells basically told him to "butt out", so I doubt it would work from Jones' perspective either.

Sugar
09-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Jerry Jones fired Chan Gailey after two seasons where the Cowboys went to the playoffs...

John Fox is in the last year of his coaching contract...the Panthers would be close to home, they would have great draft position and Jerry Richardson is a good owner...

I'm thinking this as well. He'd have some building to do, which I think he would actually prefer to a team that has all the weapons, but he'd be expected to win a SB from go.

SteelCrazy
09-25-2010, 07:06 PM
His youngest daughter is still in N.C. at Elon U. and the ideal situation for him would be close to home. Carolina is the best option, but you cant rule out Cleveland or possibly Cincy or maybe Philly. I love Cowher and wish him nothing but the best and I couldnt help but root a little for any team he takes over, except for maybe Cleveland, Cincy, Philly...maybe I couldn't but I still wish him the best. :D

AngryAsian
09-25-2010, 09:20 PM
The Cowboys to me is like the Ravens and Stains to some on this board. I've said it before on this board... Jerry Jones is the anti-Christ. The chin will be a Panther next year.

Ozey74
09-25-2010, 09:22 PM
If SD tanks this year and fires Norv Turner, this would also be an attractive option for him. First , he would get to live in SD. Second, he would have a decent team to take over with a great QB, and the competition is week in the AFC West and he would have success sooner than later.

I will always pull for Cowher (as long as he's not playing the Steelers or coaching in the AFC N).

:tt2

RuthlessBurgher
09-26-2010, 12:07 AM
Talked to a Giant fan tonight who said that he is hoping that Coughlin gets canned after this year and they make a run at Cowher. We all know that Rooneys and Maras go way back (the great-granddaughter of Wellington Mara and Art Rooney, who is actually named Rooney Mara, was just chosen to play the title role in the U.S. version of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo movie).

Slapstick
09-28-2010, 01:14 PM
To add fuel to Ruthless' fire:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl-272751 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/For-the-umpteenth-time-Tom-Coughlin-is-on-the-h?urn=nfl-272751)

AND, from January of this year:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... ts-coach/1 (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/01/jerome-bettis-bill-cowher-wants-to-replace-tom-coughlin-as-giants-coach/1)

:P

proudpittsburgher
09-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Never say never in this business, but Cowher going to the Cowboys is less likely to happen than JJ digging up the corpse of Vince Lombardi, takign him to the taxidermist, having him stuffed and implanting a speaker device of old Lombardi direction to coach the cowboys. "You get a seal here, and a seal here, and drive it up the middle."

Oviedo
09-28-2010, 01:53 PM
My top two bets would be in order: Carolina and New York

Cowher is a control freak which is why he forced out Donohoe. Does anyone really think he could coexist with Jones especially on draft choices? If Cowher were to go to the Cowboys it would be like Parcells and Jones all over again. If he did that it would just be a money grab for a couple of years because he knew it was going to all fall apart.

feltdizz
09-28-2010, 03:19 PM

When was it ever about the money? We found out after the fact that he left Pittsburgh to spend as much time with his wife as possible.

Carolina sucks and they need a Cowher type... I was at the Carolina Bungles game and I was furious.. and the ticket was free and I'm not even a Carolina fan. I just didn't like seeing the Bungle fans cheering.

Shawn
09-28-2010, 06:44 PM

Cowher will never ever coach AFCN team...ever. I doubt he would even consider a team in the AFC.

Shawn
09-28-2010, 06:45 PM
My top two bets would be in order: Carolina and New York

Cowher is a control freak which is why he forced out Donohoe. Does anyone really think he could coexist with Jones especially on draft choices? If Cowher were to go to the Cowboys it would be like Parcells and Jones all over again. If he did that it would just be a money grab for a couple of years because he knew it was going to all fall apart.

I think Carolina is a solid solid bet.

Djfan
09-28-2010, 11:01 PM
Don't rule out San Diego.

RuthlessBurgher
09-29-2010, 02:11 AM

When was it ever about the money? We found out after the fact that he left Pittsburgh to spend as much time with his wife as possible.

Carolina sucks and they need a Cowher type... I was at the Carolina Bungles game and I was furious.. and the ticket was free and I'm not even a Carolina fan. I just didn't like seeing the Bungle fans cheering.

I think Kaye was just diagnosed with melanoma within the last year.

I don't believe anyone knew about that 4 years ago when he left Pittsburgh.

RuthlessBurgher
09-29-2010, 02:13 AM

Cowher and Rivers are both N.C. State alums...and the Chin has made it clear that he is looking for a situation with an established QB. Plus, they play the 3-4 as well. But if Cowher could not get along with Tom Donohoe, he would likely want to kill A.J. Smith.

Oviedo
09-29-2010, 08:23 AM

Cowher and Rivers are both N.C. State alums...and the Chin has made it clear that he is looking for a situation with an established QB. Plus, they play the 3-4 as well. But if Cowher could not get along with Tom Donohoe, he would likely want to kill A.J. Smith.

Cowher says he wants an established QB but he also does not like to sling the ball around which would cause real tension with any top flight QB. Either Cowher will have to change his offensive philosophy or he will have to go after a game manager QB.

Carolina and NYG are perfect situations for him. Great owners and the QBs in both situations are not the type that want to be throwing the ball 40 times a game (Eli is not Peyton) and both teams have good RB situations.

proudpittsburgher
09-29-2010, 11:29 AM
You get the feeling that Cowher would rather have a middlle-tier QB like a Kyle Orton, who can throw it when needed, but doesn't have the ego that comes aliong with guys like Rivers.

feltdizz
09-29-2010, 01:59 PM
You get the feeling that Cowher would rather have a middlle-tier QB like a Kyle Orton, who can throw it when needed, but doesn't have the ego that comes aliong with guys like Rivers.

a little off topic....

I watched PITT get destroyed by Miami and the PITT QB was awful. He refused to throw to their best WR Baldwin, who is 6-6 and a monster and the kid just threw 3 yard passes on 3rd and 8 or ran for half a yard. Deer in headlights look for 3 quarters.

Finally Wanny changes QB's after the game is out of reach and the kid Bostic looks 5 times better than the starting QB. He didn't play lights out but he threw the ball to Baldwin a ton and PITT actually looked like a football team for half a minute.

My first thought was what freaking coaching tree is Wanny from... just feels like Wanny comes from a philosophy of "in spite of the QB"

Slapstick
09-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Wannstedt is a defensive coach from the Jimmy Johnson (of ExtenZe fame) tree...he worked for Johnson in Dallas (Troy Aikman era)...