PDA

View Full Version : Dixon out 6 weeks -- IR?

PSU_dropout43
09-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Steelers' Dixon out longer than expected
by Gerry Dulac

Dennis Dixon will be out six weeks after having surgery to repair a torn lateral meniscus in his left knee, the Post-Gazette has learned.

It was originally thought Dixon, the team's No. 3 quarterback, would be out three to five weeks after being injured in the second quarter of the Steelers' 19-11 victory Sunday in Tennessee. But, even though the surgery went very well and determined there was no major damage, Dixon will be out even longer than anticipated. If the prognosis is accurate, he will not return until the Nov. 14 game against the New England Patriots.

Coach Mike Tomlin said the other day he has no plans to sign another quarterback to the roster. Ben Roethlisberger will miss two more games before his four-game suspension is over.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10267/10 ... z10TaFfLyi (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10267/1089969-66.stm#ixzz10TaFfLyi)

Should the Steelers place Dixon on injured reserve?

discuss.

aggiebones
09-24-2010, 03:27 PM
Why, once Ben comes back, we have Ben and Batch to get through 4 games (starting in 2 games). Then he can be around for the stretch run and playoffs. He won't play much anyway, he's a backup.
IFFF, the think he's the future backup, then no sense in wasting the rest of the year, just survive 6 weeks.

Now if PUP list is an option, then we go that way for sure. But I'm not sure we can.

Flasteel
09-24-2010, 05:15 PM
IR is the way to go. If not, then we have to release a QB when Ben gets back, which would most likely be Batch. That would be a month of just Ben and Lefty as the only 2 QBs on the roster...and we're only going to have 2 healthy QBs for the next 2 weeks as it is.

The PUP is only for the beginning of the year, coming out of camp and the preseason. You can't place a player on the PUP who has already started the season.

I think Lefty might just be the new Charlie Batch, and the future of our back-up situation. I see Batch retiring after this year, while Lefty and Dixon battle it out for the back-up job next year. If Dixon can't win it, then he plays out his last year and hits the open market. I don't think he has done anything to this point that would create interest via trade, and if he can't beat out Leftwich, well...

Starlifter
09-24-2010, 06:10 PM
did DD perform well enough over the last 2 weeks to be considered a #3? I think that's questionable. My personal opinion only is that he's played his last game for the steelers. He's in his third year and I believe a free agent after this season. I expect the Steelers will IR him and keep lefty and charlie to finish the year. In the off season, charlie will be released (and DD as well) lefty will be the #2 and we'll draft a low round #3 QB.

There's an old saying in the NFL, don't count your reps - make your reps count. I think DD had an unimpressive camp and an unimpressive first 2 games. He may ultimately become a good if not great QB - but he didn't take advantage of his (admittedly) limited opportunities. It does't make it right, nor is it probably fair - but that's the NFL.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-24-2010, 06:58 PM
I don't think we place him on IR right now. First we wait until Ben returns. At that point we can release Batch because I can't see him getting a gig anywhere in the meantime. If anything happens we re-sign him, if not then he stays by the phone.

DanRooney
09-25-2010, 06:44 PM
I've said time and time again that Dixon will never amount to anything. He's a terrible quarterback.

Put him on IR and let Batch play out his last year in Pittsburgh as a #3.

Oviedo
09-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Put him on the IR. It is unlikely with a knee injury his best asset will be 100%...mobility. I agree with another poster. Won't be here in the future. Didn't show enough when under fire. If you have to collapse your playbook to protect yourself from a QB losing a game then that isn't a player you need or want.

Jooser
09-26-2010, 11:49 AM
IR him, I think he's history with the Steelers too. Someone mentioned his best asset was his mobility, but our OC admits that he doesn't want him to use it. :roll: What's the point?

pfelix73
09-26-2010, 03:46 PM
IR- then deal with him next year- IF there is NFL football. Ultimately, I'd try and trade him.

:tt1