PDA

View Full Version : overglut of articles here

aggiebones
09-24-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm not sure about anyone else, but I don't mind the articles posted often by Fordfixer.
BUT it does seem like alot more than normal and it does take away from active conversations. Is it just me? If its a pressing topic or something particularly interesting they press conversation. But some are weak and really just clog up things. Not sure if others see this, but its bad today. Again, I do appreciate alot of the articles and never minded it til recently.
Reply quickly before this drops under the cloud of articles :0)

papillon
09-24-2010, 11:51 AM
Do you have a solution that can be implemented? I think many folks who drop in to visit like the articles to get their Steeler information. If you have an idea about how to solve the issue post it and maybe we can all come to an agreement.

Pappy

MicroBioSteel
09-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Possible Solution: Separate page or board for published articles. Each day or week during the regular season could be a sub-folder to keep the articles and conversations organized.

:2c

aggiebones
09-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Maybe a toggle switch between article and general Steeler Chat. I hate complaining for complaining sake. I didn't really have a good idea because I too like alot of the articles. But maybe they don't both fit in the same page system.
I doubt its available, but a toggle switch to go back and forth or minimize articles or something. Again, not something probably available for forums.
Sometimes I like the articles and sometimes I'm looking for an argument about the OL Ben's guilt or Ike Redman :)
I really like this board but I fear without a steady flow of chat, it could slip as there are many options obviously. And I can see this overflow of articles choking off chat.

Anyhoo,maybe I'm wrong, out of line or whatever. I'm making no demands, not that anyone would listen anyway. lol

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-24-2010, 12:39 PM
FWIW - I like when articles are posted on the forum, it's great to read what's out there without having to go to different sources.

Even putting the articles on a different page in this forum wouldn't be as good in my opinion ... wouldn't want to have to go to multiple pages to get what is available now on one page, AND - it would make it a lot harder to have forum-type discussions about articles posted on a different page, IMO.

Thanks to Fordfixer, NKy, and others for posting them, as aggiebones said!

Just my :2c - thanks!

phillyesq
09-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Possible Solution: Separate page or board for published articles. Each day or week during the regular season could be a sub-folder to keep the articles and conversations organized.

Something like that could make sense. I enjoy using this site as a source for almost all Steelers news, and I would certainly never criticize somebody for posting articles, but an articles section and general section could clear things up.

One thing to consider - articles often serve as a spark for discussion. Would the forum lose too much by separating articles?

MeetJoeGreene
09-24-2010, 12:45 PM
I would NOT want a separate forum for articles. People come to THIS forum primarily.

The only thing to do would be do adopt a convention whereby thread topics that are articles are prefaced with ARTICLE: XYZ in the same way people use OT for off topic threads. Then folks can ignore those if they want.

They often do generate good discussions themselves.

Slapstick
09-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Personally, I can't stand it when a glut of Arians-bashing threads interferes with my article reading... :stirpot

aggiebones
09-24-2010, 01:00 PM
I think the most important thing about a forum is the preservation of the front page.
I agree that many of the articles generate a good deal of conversation (though many are also redundant), but then the sheer mass of articles now due to the season being here pushes things off to the next page to quickly.
Maybe its just me and if so, never mind. I started this topic cause there wasn't much on the first page to talk about the last couple days.

SteelHead
09-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Planet Steelers has been my "one stop shot" for all things Steelers related for quite some time and I enjoy being able to get all the articles in one place. If we were voting I'd say NO to a separate page, but I see what the guys saying , there has been a ton lately.

Also , great point made already.....a lot of these stories do lead to good threads. If threads started by non-article material are engaging enough I'm sure they'd stay on the 1st page no matter how much other "stuff" was there.

SteelHoss
09-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Speaking for myself I find the site is a good source of information about the Pittsburgh Steelers football team. Some articles I have read on this site...I may have missed on other venues. I appreciate that fact and find it to be very satisfying. While I will agree that here is some redundacy, it is up to the reader to pick or choose what article is of interest. Just because something is on the board dose not mean I have to read it because its on the board. Just sayin.......... :)

Djfan
09-24-2010, 02:01 PM
The only thing to do would be do adopt a convention whereby thread topics that are articles are prefaced with ARTICLE: XYZ in the same way people use OT for off topic threads. Then folks can ignore those if they want.

We have that. If it's started by FF it's an article.

papillon
09-24-2010, 03:07 PM
What if we were to sticky a thread entitled: Steeler News Articles Then when FF, Nky and anyone else has an article to post they add the article to the stickied thread. If something in the article will generate a debate or discussion a new thread could be started quoting the article and the discussion could then ensue.

This would keep the current threads near the top of the first page, allow for all the articles to be posted in one place, allow for discussion of the articles and maintain the one stop shop for those that come here for all their Steeler news.

Pappy

steelblood
09-24-2010, 03:13 PM
I don't like it when decent thought-provoking topics get pushed down the page and lost in the shuffle. But, I don't see a good way to distinguish between thought-provoking, informative posts and mindless, vapid ones. The same applies to the articles. One man's treasure is another's trash and vice versa.

aggiebones
09-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Paps ideas sounds good, but it would be nice if a reply would trigger it automatically to start its own thread. Again, I love the articles and even more when they generate discussion. But many are almost duplicates articles or uninterest. And yes they flow off the page, but as you can see by looking, there is about 8-10 with no responses. A front page has limited space.
Anyhoo, i'm not worried about it too much and won't be going anywhere. Just thought it was worth bantering about. I think I'm just desperate for another game.

Jooser
09-24-2010, 04:09 PM
I don't mind the articles, hell they spur a lot of our conversations. Do they not?

Chucktownsteeler
09-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Post the articles, I enjoy reading them.

If you don't want to read them, don't open them. Don't ruin it for everyone else.

Post away, Ford Fixer!

Chucktown

costanza2k1
09-24-2010, 04:47 PM
Another option might be to increase the number of threads visible on the front page so topics don't quickly fade out over to page 2. Just a thought...I like the articles personally but I don't understand what is being said here.

Flasteel
09-24-2010, 05:04 PM
FWIW - I like when articles are posted on the forum, it's great to read what's out there without having to go to different sources.

Even putting the articles on a different page in this forum wouldn't be as good in my opinion ... wouldn't want to have to go to multiple pages to get what is available now on one page, AND - it would make it a lot harder to have forum-type discussions about articles posted on a different page, IMO.

Agreed 110%

Keep the articles coming!

grotonsteel
09-24-2010, 05:07 PM

Agreed 110%

Keep the articles coming!

:Agree

eniparadoxgma
09-24-2010, 05:51 PM
Not sure I see the problem. Click to page 2 if you don't see a conversation you want to see on page 1. It's easy to look to see what threads have zero replies...and to see the topics...so you can click on whatever ya want... :?

Starlifter
09-24-2010, 06:04 PM
I appreciate those who post the articles. While I live in the 'burgh and have easy access to many, I enjoy the 'one stop shopping' - particularly after a game. Also, Steeler nation is so large and worldwide we get easy access to articles from opposing teams cities and even occasional print from newspapers overseas. Quite frankly the only complaint I have about articles - are those who choose to quote the original poster so I have to scroll through the dang things many times times just to read 'go steelers!'...... :D

aggiebones
09-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Ahh, wasn't trying to get rid of them, just maybe lighten the flood up a bit somehow. Sometimes there's a better option. In this case, maybe not. I didn't offer a better option, just wondered if anyone else thought similarly and maybe had a good idea.

hawaiiansteel
09-24-2010, 06:50 PM
Ahh, wasn't trying to get rid of them, just maybe lighten the flood up a bit somehow. Sometimes there's a better option. In this case, maybe not. I didn't offer a better option, just wondered if anyone else thought similarly and maybe had a good idea.

here's a suggestion:

instead of just starting a new thread with an article, look down the front page of posts to see if there is a similar one that's already been started and post your article in that thread.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-24-2010, 08:18 PM
BTW - is an "overglut" worse than just a "glut"?

Can you pull an "overglut" or just a "glut"?

(Back to our regularly scheduled programming ... :lol: )

aggiebones
09-24-2010, 08:34 PM
Hawaii has a VERY good suggestion, but it would be totally up to Fordfixer.

For instance, the 5 articles in 2 days about Leftwich or Batch starting could be a thread. Well, maybe not 5, but a couple for sure. Very similar and could be grouped for a full on discussion.
But again, this would be up to Fordfixer.

AngryAsian
09-24-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm of the opinion that how we have things structured is sufficient for most of the general populace. The research that those who post the articles can be, at times, laboreous for those who take the time to do so for our collective benefit. I know that FF, NKy and Hawaiinsteel have all done a repost (that's to say, that when a topic is being discussed they'll inbed an article in an already existing thread to limit traffic). PS has come to be known as a buffet of Steeler 411 and I for one, appreciate the job the various inviduals that have contributed to the forum with their research and postings. Thanks guys for all your input.

stlrz d
09-24-2010, 11:07 PM
What if we were to sticky a thread entitled: Steeler News Articles Then when FF, Nky and anyone else has an article to post they add the article to the stickied thread. If something in the article will generate a debate or discussion a new thread could be started quoting the article and the discussion could then ensue.

This would keep the current threads near the top of the first page, allow for all the articles to be posted in one place, allow for discussion of the articles and maintain the one stop shop for those that come here for all their Steeler news.

Pappy

I suggested that once long ago but it was shot down.

I had also hoped, and suggested, this could be a "Steelers and anything NFL related" forum but that too was shot down. Or to be more exact, never even addressed. I don't bother going to the NFL thread because hardly anyone else does. My suggestion would make more sense from an ease of discussing the Steelers and all things NFL, but it's not my joint so it is what it is. *shrugs*

ikestops85
09-24-2010, 11:40 PM
I think all articles need to be vetted through me. If they support my point of view they can be posted in there own thread that says 'Ike Approved'. :D

In all seriousness I love all the articles that get posted. Kudos to Fordfixer and the others for all their hard work posting them. I live in Northern Virginia (Foreskin Country) so I appreciate any and all steeler info. I say keep'em coming.

papillon
09-24-2010, 11:51 PM

Pappy

I suggested that once long ago but it was shot down.

I had also hoped, and suggested, this could be a "Steelers and anything NFL related" forum but that too was shot down. Or to be more exact, never even addressed. I don't bother going to the NFL thread because hardly anyone else does. My suggestion would make more sense from an ease of discussing the Steelers and all things NFL, but it's not my joint so it is what it is. *shrugs*

To be honest with you after I thought about the sticky thread idea I realized what the problem with that would be. Each new article would go to the bottom of the thread, now if the posts could show up in descending order by posted date that would keep all the new ones on top and push down the old ones that would be something worth looking into. I don't know the capabilities of the board software.

Pappy

Crash
09-25-2010, 12:16 AM
It looks like no one replies....so just give him his own topic and pin it to the top of the forum.

fordfixer
09-25-2010, 01:07 AM
I'm not sure about anyone else, but I don't mind the articles posted often by Fordfixer.
BUT it does seem like alot more than normal and it does take away from active conversations. Is it just me? If its a pressing topic or something particularly interesting they press conversation. But some are weak and really just clog up things. Not sure if others see this, but its bad today. Again, I do appreciate alot of the articles and never minded it til recently.

Aggie I will try to do a better job of grouping like articles together.

Or I could PM you with the articles I would like to post and you could tell me what ones are "a pressing topic or something particularly interesting" and what ones are "weak and really just clog up things". Having that info would really help. BTW I do most of my posting between 12-3 am EST. :lol:

fordfixer
09-25-2010, 01:56 AM
Bump

oops................... I almost dropped this thread under the cloud of articles :oops:

Shawn
09-25-2010, 02:52 AM
I like the articles and I like the one stop shop for my Steeler info. Thank you fordfixer.

hawaiiansteel
09-25-2010, 04:00 AM
fordfixer, you are the man!!! :Cheers

I don't care what your wife says about you... :lol:

flippy
09-25-2010, 06:34 AM
My preferences would be:

1. Single thread with all articles

2. A separate forum for all articles and keep the Steelers forum for discussion

3. FordFixer's Daily Digest with all articles for the day in that 1 thread

I appreciate FF's efforts and come here to read all the Steelers news in a single place. But I also agree with aggie about the clutter.

:Cheers to FF and Aggie and everyone else!!!!!!!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-25-2010, 08:47 AM

This is where I see it differently. I think a major starter of discussions are the articles. So, besides being fun to read, they really keep the board going strong.

And, if the article is a non-starter (reference: any articles posted by SASF), it will quickly plummet to the bottom of the 1st page and the depths beyond.

I don't post articles often, but if I did (in best "Stay thirsty, my friends" voice) I wouldn't be happy to see my hard work disappear into a drawer called "articles". Plus, if there were some sort of separate place for the articles - how would we comment on them? It seems like it would be awkward to have to go back and forth between the "regular forum" and the "articles forum" (e.g., "...See link at top of this post to read the article I am about to comment on, below...") just to talk about the latest Douchette travesty, etc.

FWIW - I support Asian's inscrutable wisdom on the topic, as referenced above.

Djfan
09-25-2010, 09:20 AM
As usual, Asian is right. Keep things the way you are.

FF, keep it going. Don't worry about what your wife might say about you. Some people here are your friends, anyway.

Flasteel
09-25-2010, 10:39 AM

Aggie I will try to do a better job of grouping like articles together.

Or I could PM you with the articles I would like to post and you could tell me what ones are "a pressing topic or something particularly interesting" and what ones are "weak and really just clog up things". Having that info would really help. BTW I do most of my posting between 12-3 am EST. :lol:

I've changed my mind!

I just read one of the threads about the Bucs game and loved how the articles were dropped in. They were all relevant to the topic and I breezed through them much more quickly than I would have, if they were their own thread.

This is the way to go FF. Those who were advocating this position were dead-on in my opinion. Keep up the great posting!

anger 82&95
09-25-2010, 11:12 AM
I like the articles and I like the one stop shop for my Steeler info. Thank you fordfixer.
Exactly, Its incredibly convenient to be able to reference all relevant Steeler information in one format. So to F-Fixer, in the immortal words of Billy Joel, dont go changing.

frankthetank1
09-25-2010, 04:32 PM
i dont see the problem. if a thread is posted by ford fixer i know its an article. if you dont want to read the fluff boring articles than dont read them. that is what i do and it works for me. if the same articles were getting posted then i would see a problem. a sticky for all articles is a great idea, but again if its posted by ford fixer you know its an article. thats just as good as a sticky to me.

aggiebones
09-25-2010, 06:12 PM
OK, to update:

-I like everyone here love Fordfixer and his wife.
-I didn't care too much if it stayed the same or someone came up with a better option.

I did like the idea of just grouping similar articles. And that may activate more conversation in those threads, while redusing the sheer mass of articles. Hey, its an active time of the year, so the articles were more plentiful than normal.
I'm not sure why some were feeling like I was attacking FF. I never said eliminate the articles. I love them and read most of them. Just wondered if someone had a better idea in how to organize them.
Anyhoo, FF if you ever find me in a bar, I've got your beer for the night.

hawaiiansteel
09-25-2010, 06:22 PM
OK, to update:

-I didn't care too much if it stayed the same or someone came up with a better option.

I did like the idea of just grouping similar articles. And that may activate more conversation in those threads, while redusing the sheer mass of articles. Hey, its an active time of the year, so the articles were more plentiful than normal.
I'm not sure why some were feeling like I was attacking FF. I never said eliminate the articles. I love them and read most of them. Just wondered if someone had a better idea in how to organize them.

I always understood what your intent was and never did I think you were personally attacking anyone. You're just trying to improve the quality of this Board and you should be commended for that.

I for one will do my best to group similar articles together and I've noticed that fordfixer has already begun to do the same.

Discipline of Steel
09-25-2010, 06:53 PM
I like all the articles and think they should have equal status to any conversation threads. I use 'View your posts' link if i want to follow a topic or two.

Shawn
09-25-2010, 10:03 PM
OK, to update:

Booooo...you are a bad man aggie. :D

Kidding...you have a right to your opinion even though it's wrong. :lol:

Personally, I could care less how it's formatted as long as he keeps doing it.

NC Steeler Fan
09-25-2010, 11:43 PM
I like the articles.

I don't get online much, but when I see a batch of articles I know I'm getting the latest info and appreciate the time it takes to find and post them. I think they "add" to the discussion rather than take away from it.

I usually am late to the discussions anyway so I am glad to read the opinions of others on the subject matter posted.

I'm for leaving it as is.