PDA

View Full Version : 2 more Steelers fined over Titans game

PSU_dropout43
09-23-2010, 05:01 PM
2 more Steelers fined over Titans game
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Two Steelers were fined for their involvement in a fight near the start of Sunday's game against the Tennessee Titans.

Receiver Hines Ward and guard Chris Kemoeatu were each fined $5,000 by the NFL for separate offenses during a skirmish between the teams following the first play from scrimmage in Nashville.

Ward told the Post-Gazette he was fined for "excessive face-masking" and Kemoeatu said he was fined for spearing after he said he came to Ward's defense. The scuffle among a group of players broke up after an incomplete pass to Ward on the right side.

"It was an incomplete pass, but the guy picked it up and I just held it and the next thing you know, he punches me with the ball," Ward said. "I almost fell, but I grabbed his facemask; everybody was grabbing facemasks.

"The next thing you know, I'm trying to defend myself off three big men."

His own big man, Kemoeatu, came in to help.

"There were two or three dudes going after Hines," Kemoeatu said. "I just got the first dude."

Kemoeatu and the Titans player Ward thought hit him, defensive tackle Tony Brown, were each penalized for personal fouls, canceling each other out.

Steelers linebacker James Harrison also came away with a $5,000 fine from that game for body-slamming Titans quarterback Vince Young on a sack.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10266/10 ... z10OAB7PZH (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10266/1089859-100.stm#ixzz10OAB7PZH)

Djfan
09-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Did they get fined? Or is this just another Goodell inequity?

RuthlessBurgher
09-23-2010, 06:05 PM
Did they get fined? Or is this just another Goodell inequity?

Finnegan was fined 5K too.

http://blogs.tennessean.com/titans/2010/09/23/finnegan-fined-for-his-role-in-brawl/

Finnegan fined for his role in brawl
JIM WYATT, The Tennessean
Posted on September 23, 2010

Titans cornerback Cortland Finnegan has been fined by the NFL for his role in the first quarter brawl against the Steelers. Finnegan said he plans to appeal the fine, which is believed to be $5,000.

At the end of Pittsburgh's first offensive play, several players got into a skirmish. The Titans felt Steelers receiver Hines Ward was being too aggressive after a pass was ruled incomplete. Finnegan stepped in, got tangled up with Ward, and things escalated from there as a number of players joined in.

Finnegan later received a personal foul for punching receiver Mike Wallace, but was not fined for that incident.

ďIíve only got one (fine) so far, so thatís good,íí Finnegan said Thursday. ďBut Iím not happy about it. I am going to appeal that for sure. They better have gotten (Ward), and better have gotten more than just me and him, too. Some of that stuff I donít get. Itís a putt-putt league now, you canít do nothing.íí

The NFL fined Steelers linebacker James Harrison $5,000 for his body-slam of Titans quarterback Vince Young.

Djfan
09-23-2010, 06:08 PM
ďIíve only got one (fine) so far, so thatís good,íí Finnegan said Thursday. ďBut Iím not happy about it. I am going to appeal that for sure. They better have gotten (Ward), and better have gotten more than just me and him, too. Some of that stuff I donít get. Itís a putt-putt league now, you canít do nothing.íí

He's right. It's getting stupid.

RuthlessBurgher
09-23-2010, 06:13 PM

He's right. It's getting stupid.

I have no problem with the Ward and Finnegan fines. They were not extreme fines (5K) and it was because they were trying to tear each others' heads off long after the whistle had blown. That type of extracurricular stuff in fine-worthy (and frankly, they may have only been a step or two away from an Ike Taylor-Hakeem Nicks double ejection early if cooler heads hadn't prevailed).

Mister Pittsburgh
09-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Should Hines have just left Finnegan grab his facemask and punch him in the face when the whistle hadn't been blown and he thought the guy intercepted the pass since he started running with it even though he knew it bounced off the ground? That is a BS fine. Finnegan should def. have gotten one. You hitting Hines first is on film clown act. Goodell is a total d-bag.

Watch the video. Hines did absolutely not one thing wrong. He played till the whiste WHICH YOU CAN CLEARLY HEAR. Listen to the retard announcer after the melee stating Hines needs to back off after the whistle. The whistle occurred after the D lineman and Finnegan both had ahold of him trying to throw him down. Watch the action and listen for the whistle....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNs7w6lFcgI

RuthlessBurgher
09-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Should Hines have just left Finnegan grab his facemask and punch him in the face when the whistle hadn't been blown and he thought the guy intercepted the pass since he started running with it even though he knew it bounced off the ground? That is a BS fine. Finnegan should def. have gotten one. You hitting Hines first is on film clown act. Goodell is a total d-bag.

Watch the video. Hines did absolutely not one thing wrong. He played till the whiste WHICH YOU CAN CLEARLY HEAR. Listen to the retard announcer after the melee stating Hines needs to back off after the whistle. The whistle occurred after the D lineman and Finnegan both had ahold of him trying to throw him down. Watch the action and listen for the whistle....

And after that, Hines grabs Finnegan's facemask and rips his helmet clear off his head.

NKySteeler
09-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Dale Lolley's comments on the issue...

Thursday, September 23, 2010
Ward, Kemoeatu fined $5,000 each

Chris Kemoeatu was fined $5,000 for their part in what was one of the best football fights I've seen in 18 years of covering the league.

That said, I don't believe Ward deserved a fine.

Let's go back to the play in question against the Tennessee Titans.

On the Steelers' first offensive play from scrimmage, Dennis Dixon threw a pass that was deflected, hit the ground and bounced into the hands of a Tennessee defender.

The play could have been ruled a lateral and Hines Ward immediately grabbed the Tennessee player - defensive tackle Tony Brown - and tried to wrestle him to the ground. Moments later, the entire Tennessee defense ploughed into the play.

Kemoeatu came running and ploughed into the pile as well. Brown and Kemoeatu both drew fines for the play.

Ward was also fined for excessive face masking, whatever that may be. Ward was not penalized for grabbing anyone's facemask in the game.

Those two penalties come on top of the $5,000 James Harrison was fined for spiking Titans' QB Vince Young in the third quarter.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Mister Pittsburgh
09-23-2010, 08:05 PM

And after that, Hines grabs Finnegan's facemask and rips his helmet clear off his head.

OK. So we all know now that you would fold up and let Finnegan kick your butt. :lol:

That, however isn't Hines style nor should it be asked of him to be his style. He got attacked by 2 people and threw one of them to the ground. I know 5K isn't crap to Hines, just think that he didn't deserve a fine on this particular play.

RuthlessBurgher
09-23-2010, 08:17 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":fen73w3d]Should Hines have just left Finnegan grab his facemask and punch him in the face when the whistle hadn't been blown and he thought the guy intercepted the pass since he started running with it even though he knew it bounced off the ground? That is a BS fine. Finnegan should def. have gotten one. You hitting Hines first is on film clown act. Goodell is a total d-bag.

OK. So we all know now that you would fold up and let Finnegan kick your butt. :lol:

That, however isn't Hines style nor should it be asked of him to be his style. He got attacked by 2 people and threw one of them to the ground. I know 5K isn't crap to Hines, just think that he didn't deserve a fine on this particular play.[/quote:fen73w3d]

Yeah, I'd fold up an let someone kick my butt. Sure.

Hines threw Finnegan to the ground, yes. But that is not why he got fined. He was fined for excessive facemasking (i.e. grabbing a player's facemask and ripping the helmet off his head). Look again at the video you posted. At the 1:35 mark you can clearly see Ward throwing Finnegan down (which is fine in my book; he was standing up for himself when getting attacked seemingly from all angles) and then he rips Finnegan's helmet off while Cortland is lying on his back (that is where the fine comes into play).

focosteeler
09-23-2010, 08:20 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":2bjzpj15]Should Hines have just left Finnegan grab his facemask and punch him in the face when the whistle hadn't been blown and he thought the guy intercepted the pass since he started running with it even though he knew it bounced off the ground? That is a BS fine. Finnegan should def. have gotten one. You hitting Hines first is on film clown act. Goodell is a total d-bag.

That, however isn't Hines style nor should it be asked of him to be his style. He got attacked by 2 people and threw one of them to the ground. I know 5K isn't crap to Hines, just think that he didn't deserve a fine on this particular play.[/quote:2bjzpj15]

you watch it the first thing finnegan does is go for hines' facemask/ head and he twists it...to me thats a b**ch move by finnegan and he deserves what hines gave him.

rpmpit
09-23-2010, 08:24 PM
We're discussing this and these guys are probably laughing their azzes off. Do you really think $5k is gonna hurt any of them? Bullsh*t fines on bullsh*t plays just so Goodell can keep pretending he's cleaning up the league.