PDA

View Full Version : Interesting topic on QB protection on Playbook last night...

brothervad
09-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Mike Mayock, Sterling Sharepe, Brian Baldinger were discussing QB Protection last night...

What I thought was interesting is instead of wanting to put skirts on the QB's they actually began blaming the coaches.

They suggested the problem is the fact that Defenses have had to scheme to get to the QB and use Zone blitz confusion in order to adjust to the Offensive happy NFL.

The fact is that what coaches are asking of OL to do in 1.8 seconds is impossible...

They feel the problem lies in the fact that teams have decided to use 4 & 5 WR sets and abandon the Fullback/running game.

Defenses are smaller and faster to respond to those type of sets...they were suggesting that Offenses need to adjust and provide a tougher, bigger game with a Fullback and pounding ground game to wear out the undersized defenses.

Not necessarily an Arians hater, but I do think that this is a very astute analysis of the problems that have been brought up about the Steelers offense.

One of the things I love about football is the tactics and how cyclical things are...I could see a team go back to the pounding it out, 3 yards and a cloud of dust-- grind it out game and be very successful at it. (not suggesting the Steelers go back just in general)

brothervad

Slapstick
09-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Hence, the rebirth of the 3-4 defense in the NFL...beefy guys up front to plug gaps help stop the run and more athletic guys behind them with the speed to flow to the ball and rush the passer...

I think the smaller, quicker, undersized defenses are also the reason for so many 2000 yard rushers in recent football history:

OJ = 1973
Dickerson = 1984 (11 years later)
Sanders = 1997 (13 years later)
T Davis = 1998 (1 year later)
J.Lewis = 2003 (5 years later)
CJ = 2009 = (6 years later)

It took 64 years for the NFL to produce two 2000 yard rushers...

In the last 13 years, the NFL has produced twice that number...

RuthlessBurgher
09-23-2010, 08:48 PM
Hence, the rebirth of the 3-4 defense in the NFL...beefy guys up front to plug gaps help stop the run and more athletic guys behind them with the speed to flow to the ball and rush the passer...

I think the smaller, quicker, undersized defenses are also the reason for so many 2000 yard rushers in recent football history:

OJ = 1973
Dickerson = 1984 (11 years later)
Sanders = 1997 (13 years later)
T Davis = 1998 (1 year later)
J.Lewis = 2003 (5 years later)
CJ = 2009 = (6 years later)

It took 64 years for the NFL to produce two 2000 yard rushers...

In the last 13 years, the NFL has produced twice that number...

The fact that we started playing 16 games in 1978 made it significantly more difficult for players in 1977 and earlier to rush for 2000 yards. The Juice's 2K season in 14 games was almost as shocking as him getting off in his criminal trial.

BURGH86STEEL
09-23-2010, 09:24 PM
One thing that I think is happening is that the big slower Olinemen are having difficulty dealing with the athleticism and strength of defenders, especially in the front 7. Another problem that offenses face is that defenses are moving their best players around to create match up problems. It's similar to what offenses do with their offensive players.

Whether teams run or pass the ball, they will to face the same issues. There is more then one philosophy that wins in the NFL. The teams that execute their philosophy the best usually win.