PDA

View Full Version : Tampa really isn't that bad. Consider this...

steelblood
09-23-2010, 09:17 AM
In Tampa's last eight games (since Morris took over the DC job in addition to HC), Tampa's D has not allowed more than 16 points.

This season new assistant coach Greg Llyod (yes that Greg Llyod) has been credited with instilling a greater tenacity in the defensive front (thank god he's not playing for them).

With limited opportunities, rookie WR Mike Williams has produced two good performances so far. He has been nominated for ROW for each game.

The very athletic and quick Gerald McCoy will be lined up over Kemo and/or Legursky.

Lucky for us, Tampa isn't that good yet either. Still, it could be another very close game. Special teams may be the difference.

BURGH86STEEL
09-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Mccoy will probably going to give Kemo some problems.

Freeman is the type of QB that could give the defense problems if he gets loose..

Oviedo
09-23-2010, 09:41 AM
Their defense is good but their offense has not had to deal with anything like what they will see on Sunday.

They will be tough to run against but their defense is not as good as the Titans, IMO about the same as Atlanta. They will likely put 8-9 in the box to stop the run and blitz Batch. Batch is much better than Dixon reading that and if they have a number of hot reads set up they could get some really big gains.

Heath Miller could have a huge day against them if they just throw the ball to him. Same with Mendy out of the backfield.

steelblood
09-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Their defense is good but their offense has not had to deal with anything like what they will see on Sunday.

They will be tough to run against but their defense is not as good as the Titans, IMO about the same as Atlanta.

Heath Miller could have a huge day against them if they just throw the ball to him. Same with Mendy out of the backfield.

I'd say their defense is better than Atlanta's. Atlanta's D is average at best (especially without Babineaux). But, I agree that we could be successful by coming out and throwing the ball off play action to Heath and involving Mendy in the passing game. I think one of the keys to the game is how well big Max can play. If his ankle isn't right, our QB will be under siege. Back up DE Tim Crowder comes in fresh and really gets after the passer in obvious passing situations. He could rip up a gimpy Max and Old Flozell.

I think we win 20-17.

Oviedo
09-23-2010, 09:57 AM

They will be tough to run against but their defense is not as good as the Titans, IMO about the same as Atlanta.

I'd say their defense is better than Atlanta's. Atlanta's D is average at best (especially without Babineaux). But, I agree that we could be successful by coming out and throwing the ball off play action to Heath and involving Mendy in the passing game. I think one of the keys to the game is how well big Max can play. If his ankle isn't right, our QB will be under siege. Back up DE Tim Crowder comes in fresh and really gets after the passer in obvious passing situations. He could rip up a gimpy Max and Old Flozell.

I think we win 20-17.

I can't see their offense scoring 17 points unless our offense has a number of turnovers. It's just not that good.

It will be interesting to see what they do with our formations. I have to think they will be set up for max protect of Batch on most plays. Hines kinda alluded that in an interview yesterday where he specifically talked about "protecting Charlie"

Slapstick
09-23-2010, 10:27 AM
If anyone on the Steelers thinks that a 2-0 Tampa team is bad then they need to adjust their attitude...

Tampa's defense has historically been a good matchup for the Pittsburgh offense...with the addition of Pouncey, I think we will see quite a few "RUTFM"s...I also think that they will be more successful then against the Titans' D-Line...I look for Mendenhall to have a good game...

feltdizz
09-23-2010, 11:00 AM
If anyone on the Steelers thinks that a 2-0 Tampa team is bad then they need to adjust their attitude...

Tampa's defense has historically been a good matchup for the Pittsburgh offense...with the addition of Pouncey, I think we will see quite a few "RUTFM"s...I also think that they will be more successful then against the Titans' D-Line...I look for Mendenhall to have a good game...

easy to say but sometimes its hard to do. I hope they keep the chip on their shoulder for 16 games. plenty of people said 1-3 or 2-2.

RuthlessBurgher
09-23-2010, 12:38 PM
According to me playing Madden 11 this week, Tampa could be our toughest foe yet.

I haven't had time to play video games for the last few years (other than a few Wii things with the kids every so often). But last week, our subscription to Blockbuster where we could take out any one movie or one game at a time unlimited for a month ended (figured we'd give it a try for a month...not too bad since the Blockbuster is in the same plaza where I go to the gym, so it was not inconvenient to bring them back since I go there regularly already).

On the last day, I took our final movie back and asked them since this is the final day of our paid month, does that mean I can take out another and return it tomorrow or is this it? They told me that I could still get one more, and wouldn't need to return it for 5 days. So instead of grabbing a movie and watching it once, I decided to look at the video games, and happened across Madden 11...figured it would be worth trying out for free.

Well, the kids have been going to bed earlier since school started and my wife has been sick this past week and has been going to bed earlier than usual herself, so I actually had time to play video games myself in a quiet house. Imagine that!

Anyway, I started a Steeler season and made it through the preseason and up to the Tampa game before the game was due back (you can fit more games in less time with that GameFlow option that picks plays for you...at times it replicates Arians well by giving me crappy playcalls, but I can't argue too much considering the time-saving). I rolled through Detroit, Jake played the Giants and destroyed them, and I beat up on the Broncos, Panthers, Falcons, and Titans. No problem.

Then came the Bucs. It seemed to be one of those games were there was no f-ing way the computer was going to allow you to win. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong. But I had the ball late in the 4th quarter and could tie the game with one last TD drive. On my final play with 5 seconds to go and no timeouts, I threw to Heath over the middle, and he hit by two guys inside the 5 yard line. Uh oh.

But wait! Heath laterals to Hines, who fights off a tackle and dives into the end zone. I ended up winning the game on a FG in OT. So if we happen to force overtime on a Miller to Ward lateral to tie as time expired, remember that you heard it here first. :P

papillon
09-23-2010, 12:48 PM

Freeman is the type of QB that could give the defense problems if he gets loose..

Josh Freeman is also the type of quarterback that the Steeler defense can feast on, young, inexperienced and not quite ready for the wrinkles that he'll see from the Steelers.

Pappy

BURGH86STEEL
09-23-2010, 01:27 PM

Josh Freeman is also the type of quarterback that the Steeler defense can feast on, young, inexperienced and not quite ready for the wrinkles that he'll see from the Steelers.

Pappy

I agree. A lot will depend how the defense chooses to attack him. Will they mush rush him or blitz?

Not sure Freeman will be concerned with wrinkles at this point of his career. The Bucs will attempt to keep things as simple as possible for him. They will attempt to run the ball and keep themselves in 3rd and manageable situations. If I were the DC, my concern would be if Freeman gets loose. Defensive players will have to make sure they sack or contain him when they have a chance. He is a big QB that can run. I believe Gradkowski gave them fits last season because of his mobility.

ramblinjim
09-23-2010, 01:30 PM
I agree on all counts. I just remember a very pedestrian Mike Vick throwing for 300 yards on us and a rookie Eli Manning throwing the ball all over us. Sometimes I wonder if the young, in-experienced quarterbacks do well against us because they don't care and just sling the ball or if perhaps we don't game plan as well against them because there isn't much tape.

I'm just trying to get all of my negative energy out here. I think Tampa will come to play but we are the better team.

RuthlessBurgher
09-23-2010, 01:31 PM
If Freeman were to somehow "get loose" he would still know that he could still be a mere fraction of a second from being earholed by the likes of Polamalu, Timmons, Harrison, Woodley, Clark, etc. He should wear Depends instead of a jock strap during this game, since I would imagine he could lose control of his bladder and/or bowels during the game.

papillon
09-23-2010, 01:50 PM

Pappy

I agree. A lot will depend how the defense chooses to attack him. Will they mush rush him or blitz?

Not sure Freeman will be concerned with wrinkles at this point of his career. The Bucs will attempt to keep things as simple as possible for him. They will attempt to run the ball and keep themselves in 3rd and manageable situations. If I were the DC, my concern would be if Freeman gets loose. Defensive players will have to make sure they sack or contain him when they have a chance. He is a big QB that can run. I believe Gradkowski gave them fits last season because of his mobility.

From what I've seen this year the Steeler defense trusts itself a lot more than they did last year and I believe they will maintain their discipline just like they did against CJ last week. Freeman may escape and make a play with his feet once or twice, but I don't see him being successful all day long on scrambles and broken plays. Timmons is one fast linebacker; it's not Freeman's best interests to try and out run him all day, IMO.

He is going to have beat them with his arm if he is to be successful. I think the defense limits them to less than 300 total yards and less than 14 points (not counting any special teams SNAFUs).

Pappy

SteelAbility
09-24-2010, 06:33 PM
In Tampa's last eight games (since Morris took over the DC job in addition to HC), Tampa's D has not allowed more than 16 points.

This season new assistant coach Greg Llyod (yes that Greg Llyod) has been credited with instilling a greater tenacity in the defensive front (thank god he's not playing for them).

With limited opportunities, rookie WR Mike Williams has produced two good performances so far. He has been nominated for ROW for each game.

The very athletic and quick Gerald McCoy will be lined up over Kemo and/or Legursky.

Lucky for us, Tampa isn't that good yet either. Still, it could be another very close game. Special teams may be the difference.

Please say it isn't so!

fezziwig
09-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Just throwing out a stat here that some radio annoucer on the Fan said a bit ago. The last thirteen times a team was picked to lose their first thre games and then picked to win their third game, they would end up losing the third game.
Were the Steelers the underdog for the Atlanta game I, can't remember ?

RuthlessBurgher
09-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Just throwing out a stat here that some radio annoucer on the Fan said a bit ago. The last thirteen times a team was picked to lose their first thre games and then picked to win their third game, they would end up losing the third game.
Were the Steelers the underdog for the Atlanta game I, can't remember ?

Yeah, Atlanta was favored in the opener.

frankthetank1
09-25-2010, 04:19 PM
the bucs dont worry me. freeman will turn the ball over a bunch of times. he is so young and hasnt seen a defense like this. i think it will be 17-7 or 21-10. cadilac williams is a scrub, they have no offense. with ben it would be a blowout.

Sugar
09-25-2010, 06:23 PM
the bucs dont worry me. freeman will turn the ball over a bunch of times. he is so young and hasnt seen a defense like this. i think it will be 17-7 or 21-10. cadilac williams is a scrub, they have no offense. with ben it would be a blowout.

You're probably right, but I'm thinking about the Pat's fans and Eagles fans who thought something similar when they came in unbeaten against a rookie QB named Roethlisberger. We don't yet know what they have in Freeman, for all we know he could end up being the best QB we've faced thus far.

bostonsteeler
09-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Ok, the bucs lost their starting safety.
You think BA is gonna take advantage of this?

frankthetank1
09-26-2010, 11:52 AM

You're probably right, but I'm thinking about the Pat's fans and Eagles fans who thought something similar when they came in unbeaten against a rookie QB named Roethlisberger. We don't yet know what they have in Freeman, for all we know he could end up being the best QB we've faced thus far.

there is a big difference of ben and freeman. there are even bigger differences between the bucs now and the 2004 steelers. i wouldnt worry about todays game.

SteelAbility
09-26-2010, 02:32 PM
I guess that streak of games with the Bucs D giving up 16 or less points is kind of moot right now.