PDA

View Full Version : Harrison fined $5,000 for body slam

NKySteeler
09-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Haven't found it in print yet, but it just came across my "Steelers updates" on my phone...

Fined $5,000 for the hit on Vince Young even though no penalty was called on the play.

Harrison was asked after practice if the hit was worth the fine, and he said "no"...

... When I find an actual link, I'll post it.

skyhawk
09-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Um, I thought 3 guys had their hands on VY.

:wft

NKySteeler
09-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Steelers' Harrison fined $5,000 for QB bodyslam
Wednesday, September 22, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers linebacker James Harrison received bad news and good today from the NFL office.

He was fined $5,000 for body-slamming Tennessee quarterback Vince Young on a sack in the third quarter of the Steelers' 19-11 victory in Nashville Sunday.

And he was named the AFC Defensive Player of the Week.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher complained publicly Monday about Harrison's hit on Young. No penalty was called on the play.

"You say if that happened to [Tom] Brady or that happened to so-and-so or so-and-so there would have been seven flags on the field," Fisher said. "Why wasn't there one yesterday? I don't know. Maybe it was the heat."

Asked Wednesday after practice if the hit was worth paying the fine, Harrison said "No!"

Harrison was credited in that game with two sacks, two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery, one tackle for loss, one quarterback hurry and 11 tackles. His coaches, after viewing tapes, reduced his forced fumbles to one.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10265/1089526-100.stm

Discipline of Steel
09-22-2010, 07:46 PM

All three of them got suplexed...VY, Smith, and Kiesel

Post the picture Hawaiian! :Beer

NKySteeler
09-22-2010, 07:47 PM

Yep... Keisel and Smith were also in on the play, but I think Harrison was the "dominant" one...

http://i56.tinypic.com/xc62jk.jpg

sentinel33
09-22-2010, 07:51 PM
sucks for deebo. talk about taking one for the team. i remember seeing 3 players in on that one. just gonna piss him off even more. too bad for j. freeman. hes about to experience the true meaning of the word PRESSURE. just dont want the team to overlook tampa. handle tampa and then well deal with baltimore.

AngryAsian
09-22-2010, 08:53 PM
That was an awesome play.... loved it.

NKySteeler
09-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Steelers' Harrison fined for hit on Vince Young
By Mark Kaboly, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, September 22, 2010

James Harrison, Brett Keisel and Aaron Smith all combined to slam Tennessee quarterback Vince Young to the ground during Sunday's game in Nashville, but it turns out Harrison will be the only one writing out a check to the NFL.

Harrison was fined $5,000 by the league for the hit he laid on Young with the help of Smith and Keisel during the third quarter of the Steelers' 19-11 victory.

According to his agent Bill Parise, Harrison will appeal the fine on Thursday. Harrison was the only one of the three involved in the hit who was fined.

Harrison had two sacks and 11 tackles against the Titans and was named the AFC's Defensive Player of the Week.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_700872.html

SteelHead
09-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Ya just gotta love #92.

I could not believe there wasn't an unnecessary roughness call on that one though.

It was pretty darn obvious James set out to deliver some extra punishment.

Then again , that's why I love him....

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200909/dianasteelers0831aa_500.jpg

fordfixer
09-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks for posting NKy

Crash
09-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Only in Roger Goodell's NFL can a player be honored as Player of the Week and fined $5000 for his play on the field the same day.

StarSpangledSteeler
09-22-2010, 10:11 PM
1) Half the fun of signing a multi-million dollar contract is being able to afford the finer things in life... Like body slamming fines.

2) There is bad blood between the Steelers and Titans. This was not a random slamming.

3) Hey, Vince... If you don't want to get slammed down, then don't fight so hard to stay on your feet. Just go down easier and it'll be much less painful.

4) Hey, refs... If you want to protect QB's start blowing the play dead as soon as they're "in the grasp". No whistle = live play.

5) I love that there was no flag. Haaaaa!

StarSpangledSteeler
09-22-2010, 10:13 PM

Yep... Keisel and Smith were also in on the play, but I think Harrison was the "dominant" one...

http://i56.tinypic.com/xc62jk.jpg

Look at Vince's feet dangling helplessly up there. Haaaaaaaaa! He's like a human version of the upside down Longhorns sign... oops.

plainnasty
09-22-2010, 10:15 PM

But Harrison was responsible for the body slam. I loved it, but it should have been flagged.

SteelAbility
09-22-2010, 10:22 PM
That was one "fine" tackle, eh? :lol: :tt2

One fine per week = #1 Seed

stlrz d
09-22-2010, 11:02 PM
I seem to recall that Harrison had him wrapped up, was attempting to take him down and that's when the other two showed up.

What a bunch of BS. Not every play like this is intentional. Same goes for the dude who was fined for breaking Boldin's jaw. That play was totally a freak accident.

I'm glad there was no flag on this play because there shouldn't have been, and I hope Harrison wins his appeal on the fine...as he should.

SteelerNation1
09-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Garbage. They used to call that a text book tackle. Now, it's a fine? :wft

Discipline of Steel
09-22-2010, 11:24 PM

I think that about sums it up for me too. :Hater

Mel Blount's G
09-22-2010, 11:40 PM

I think that about sums it up for me too. :Hater
Agreed. I hope his teammates and coaches pitch in for that 5G fine. Keeo on slammin' Deebo. Bring the pain

Oviedo
09-23-2010, 07:24 AM
sucks for deebo. talk about taking one for the team. i remember seeing 3 players in on that one. just gonna piss him off even more. too bad for j. freeman. hes about to experience the true meaning of the word PRESSURE. just dont want the team to overlook tampa. handle tampa and then well deal with baltimore.

Uh...$5000 to Harrison is like $1 to most of us. It was well worth it to terrorize the opposing QB.

SteelTorch
09-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Uh...$5000 to Harrison is like $1 to most of us. It was well worth it to terrorize the opposing QB.

Asked Wednesday after practice if the hit was worth paying the fine, Harrison said "No!"

Not to him. :lol:

proudpittsburgher
09-23-2010, 09:29 AM

Ha, that's funny. No flag on the play, AFC defensive player of the week and a fine . . . And somewhere, Josh Freeman is in Tampa Bay saying "Thanks a lot, now you pizzed him off." Deebo = the Incredible Hulk . . . you won't like him when he's angry.

Oviedo
09-23-2010, 09:35 AM

He has to say that to be politically correct. If he doesn't he risks a bigger fine next time since Goodell can basically make it up as he goes. I'm sure all the Steelers have been told to tread lightly with the league in light of Ben's crucifixtion.

Can't publicly criticize the league just like you can't publicly criticize the officials.