PDA

View Full Version : Batch It Is

BradshawsHairdresser
09-22-2010, 04:47 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=a ... arterbacks (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-steelers-quarterbacks)

grotonsteel
09-22-2010, 05:12 PM
makes sense...

Batch made few plays against Titans...Ward/Miller/Wallace did not help Batch out...

hawaiiansteel
09-22-2010, 05:30 PM
Lefty must not yet be fully healthy....

steelblood
09-22-2010, 05:31 PM
I hope it isn't windy.

frankthetank1
09-22-2010, 05:40 PM
makes sense...

Batch made few plays against Titans...Ward/Miller/Wallace did not help Batch out...

other than hines's drop in the end zone i dont recall any other bad drops. the throw to hines was perfect though!! the o-line was horrid, i thought that was really the problem.

Northern_Blitz
09-22-2010, 06:00 PM
I don't buy it.

If you look at Lolley's blog (http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/), the beat writers were given an explicit reminder that they were not allowed to talk about who got how many snaps with the first team.

To me, that sounds like a team that's about to play some games in the media about misleading the opposition about who's starting. Doesn't make sense to announce the starter when you can force the D to prepare for both.

feltdizz
09-22-2010, 06:52 PM
I don't buy it.

If you look at Lolley's blog (http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/), the beat writers were given an explicit reminder that they were not allowed to talk about who got how many snaps with the first team.

To me, that sounds like a team that's about to play some games in the media about misleading the opposition about who's starting. Doesn't make sense to announce the starter when you can force the D to prepare for both.

it was on the ESPN Lead story at the bottom of the page.

Flasteel
09-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Depending on how Batch does and how healthy Lefty is, we could have 4 starting quarterbacks in the first 5 games of the season.

I wonder if anyone has ever done that before?

I'd bet no team has ever done it and gone on to win the Super Bowl...like we will. :tt2

Chadman
09-22-2010, 08:13 PM
Batch/Leftwich- in Chadman's opinion- both upgrade the passing game from Dixon- either is fine.

aggiebones
09-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Who cares, could the offense be any worse?
We are 2-0 and playing another inferior opponent.

fordfixer
09-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Tomlin confirms that Charlie Batch will start against Buccaneers
By Mark Kaboly, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, September 23, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 00796.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_700796.html)

Charlie Batch believes his history of injuries kept him from getting a legitimate shot at the Steelers' quarterback job during the preseason.

Today, his health is the only thing that stands between the Steelers and chaos.

Batch will start his first game in nearly three years Sunday when the Steelers take on undefeated Tampa Bay at Raymond James Stadium. He's getting the call largely because he is the only healthy quarterback on the roster.

Dennis Dixon underwent knee surgery Wednesday. Despite participating in his first full practice since injuring his knee last month, Byron Leftwich still hasn't healed fully, leaving the job open for Batch.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin confirmed that Batch will get the start instead of Leftwich.

"It feels good,'' Batch said. "All along, I wanted to throw my hat into the ring as one of the options (at quarterback). I never imagined it would turn out this way, but here we go."

Batch was the odd man out of the competition in the preseason to see who would replace the suspended Ben Roethlisberger for the first four games of the season.

Batch could have been released before the season had Leftwich not been injured. Instead, Batch was kept around as the backup to Dixon before the youngster injured his knee against the Tennessee Titans last weekend.

"Charlie was counted out by everybody else, but as a team, we know what he can do," Steelers tackle Max Starks said. "Charlie is a great quarterback, and a lot of people seem to overlook that."

Batch has more than 10,000 passing yards over 13 NFL seasons but has started only four games since joining the Steelers in 2002. At 35, he is the oldest player on the roster and is just three years younger than Tomlin.

"For me, there won't be many more opportunities," said Batch, who graduated from Steel Valley High School. "You are starting to get up there in years. You just have to wait for those opportunities. A couple of weeks ago, I was a little disappointed because I didn't get that opportunity, but here I am again ... getting that opportunity again."

Batch has proven to be successful when called upon in a pinch. He is 3-1 filling in for Roethlisberger, winning games against Green Bay and Cleveland in 2005 and Miami in 2006. He lost to Baltimore in 2007.

"Charlie knows this offense better than anybody," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "He has been here for a long time. We just have to protect for him and make plays for him."

Batch got game action against Tennessee but wasn't asked to do much. That could change this week against the Bucs.

"Last week, Dennis was starting, so we had to prepare that way," Batch said. "Hopefully, as they look at it and start preparing for the rest of the installation, we'll get some more things in there for me to do."

sentinel33
09-23-2010, 12:45 AM
im quite comfortable with Batch starting. what will be worrisome is waiting for the slightest bit of contact on Batch and he goes down. like someone stabbed him-with a pillow or something. dude is fragile. lucky for us Tampa Bay has a meager pass rush. The defense will do what they did to V. Young and do it to J. Freeman. It would be nice if the offense could score a TD during regulation. i dont feel like im asking for a whole lot here. Batch will deliver me my wish. this defense looks like it could be better than the '08 squad. so far no reason to think otherwise. dont look now,but...Here We Go!

fordfixer
09-23-2010, 01:21 AM
On the Steelers: Batch to start Sunday
Thursday, September 23, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10266/1089697-66.stm

Charlie Batch will allow others to consider the irony that he, as the lone healthy quarterback, will start Sunday for the Steelers in Tampa, Fla.

The original plan had him getting released on the final cut. Coach Mike Tomlin acknowledged that he gave Batch few snaps in the spring and throughout training camp because he was injury prone. As if that might not have been hurtful enough, Tomlin said Batch's experience also worked against him during the four-man quarterback derby.

Then the only other quarterbacks on the roster came down with knee injuries, and it is Batch who will try to keep this unusual first month of the season going in the right direction for the Steelers when they play the Buccaneers, who also are 2-0.

Tomlin declared Batch, 35, as his starter over Byron Leftwich, out since Sept. 2 because of a sprained left knee. Leftwich went through a full practice for the first time Wednesday, the same day Dennis Dixon, the starter in the first two games, had surgery on his left knee to repair a torn lateral meniscus.

Ben Roethlisberger continues to watch from home halfway through his suspension.

"All along, I was trying to throw my hat in the ring and try to be one of the options for these first four games," Batch said Wednesday after practice. "Did I ever imagine it being this way? No, but here I am."

Indeed, he will start his first game since the last game of the 2007 regular season at Baltimore. He has been with the Steelers as a backup since 2002, but this will be just his fifth start. He is 3-1 as a starter.

What held Batch back are injuries. He missed all 2004 (knee) and 2008 (collarbone), and his wrist was broken when he replaced Roethlisberger in Kansas City last season, opening the door for Dixon to start in Baltimore the following week.

"No question Charlie's experience was a part of the equation," Tomlin explained two weeks ago as to why Batch got so few snaps all summer. "We knew he is a guy that can be prepared to play above the line in football with a limited number of reps.

"But, also in the equation, has been Charlie's durability or lack of durability. Those issues were concerns, and one of the reasons he was third in the pecking order. Because of the limited amount of football he's played in the last couple of years; he's been injured while playing the limited amount of football."

Batch can't worry about what occurred this summer, even if he got his chance to work Wednesday with the first team for just the first time since that Dec. 30, 2007 game in Baltimore.

"I'll let you all decipher that," Batch said of the reasons given for his inopportunity. "For me, if that was the reason, he gave it. The only way you can prove it [to be wrong] is be out there. The only way I could do that is being out there in the preseason and showing that.

"I think that coming out of this Tennessee game, taking a couple of shots and being able to stand up and not have any problems heading into this week, I think that was, hopefully, one way I could prove it."

Leftwich, wearing a brace on his injured left knee, hardly could argue with the choice Tomlin made.

"I'm OK with that. I'm still trying to prove that I can be healthy and go out there and play. I understand the situation. I'll prepare myself as usual. I'm trying to get it back stronger. It responded well today; we'll see how it is in the morning."

The Steelers' two starting receivers said they need to work with Batch this week because they have seen so little of him.

"We're going to go in practice and just try to get a nice feel for Charlie," Mike Wallace said. "I haven't been with him for a while until the game. We're going to go out there and try to get a nice feel for him. Hopefully, we can build up a quick chemistry for Sunday."

Said Hines Ward, "When you're juggling quarterbacks around, it's hard. He'll get all the reps this week. We'll get on board. We feel fine with Charlie."

Antwaan Randle El would play quarterback if something were to happen to Batch and Leftwich Sunday in Tampa.
Mixed messages

Linebacker James Harrison received bad news and good from the NFL office Wednesday.

He was fined $5,000 for body-slamming Tennessee quarterback Vince Young on a sack in the third quarter of the Steelers' 19-11 victory Sunday in Nashville.

And he was named the AFC Defensive Player of the Week.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher complained publicly Monday about Harrison's hit on Young. No penalty was called on the play.

"You say if that happened to [Tom] Brady or that happened to so-and-so or so-and-so there would have been seven flags on the field," Fisher said. "Why wasn't there one yesterday? I don't know. Maybe it was the heat."

Asked Wednesday after practice if the hit was worth paying the fine, Harrison said "No!"

Harrison was credited with 2 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, a fumble recovery, a tackle for loss, a quarterback hurry and 11 tackles. His coaches, after viewing tapes, reduced his forced fumbles to one.
Some missed opportunities

The Steelers' 21-yard net passing offense in Tennessee ranks among their more dubious ones. Their research only goes back to 1965, so since then, it was their fifth-lowest passing output.

Yet, it is the only one on the list in which they won the game. The worst during that time came in 1982 when they were held to minus-2 yards in Buffalo in a 13-0 loss.

Tomlin thought they should have had more against the Titans.

"We didn't operate very well on third down. I thought Charlie made some plays, particularly in the second half, and we had an opportunity to make some plays that we didn't make. They were competitive catches, no question.

"There wasn't really one guy; if you look at it, all of our guys --very reliable people. Heath Miller, I thought, had an opportunity to deliver a play or two for Charlie. Mike Wallace had an opportunity to deliver a significant play that would've put us in scoring position on a third down. I thought Hines was capable of maybe catching that touchdown on that little short fade. Those are the kind of plays that need to be made."
Other injury updates

All the injured players from last week, including starters Max Starks and Casey Hampton, went through a full practice Wednesday. The only missing players were Dixon and guard Trai Essex, who has an ankle injury and will not play.

For more on the Steelers, read the blog, Ed Bouchette on the Steelers at http://www.post-gazette.com/plus. Ed Bouchette: ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10266/10 ... z10KLH3EcG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10266/1089697-66.stm#ixzz10KLH3EcG)

Oviedo
09-23-2010, 07:19 AM
I don't buy it.

Wallace dropped a big gainer because he bobbled the ball which let Hope get his hand in to knock it away. If he had caught it clean it would have possibly been a TD.

steelblood
09-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Ovi,

Wallace also bobbled the deep bass in the Atlanta game. He reeled it in, but it made me nervous.

Northern_Blitz
09-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Batch/Leftwich- in Chadman's opinion- both upgrade the passing game from Dixon- either is fine.

It's too bad. I was hoping that Dixon would come in and play reasonably well. Then maybe we could have flipped him for a good draft pick, or kept him as a backup if we couldn't get lefty for a longer deal.

Oviedo
09-23-2010, 10:47 AM

It's too bad. I was hoping that Dixon would come in and play reasonably well. Then maybe we could have flipped him for a good draft pick, or kept him as a backup if we couldn't get lefty for a longer deal.

Lefty isn't going anywhere. He knows no one wants him as a starter and he is a great situation on a great team in a great organization.

I think he is here for the next 3-5 years filling the Batch role of the past 3-5 years.

Highly unlikely anyone was going to trade for Dixon. The guy only started because of Ben's suspension and injury to Leftwich. The whole league knows that. No reason to trade to get a back up QB for a player who will eventually get cut. I really doubt you ever had any team looking at Dixon as a potential starter. That was just an illusion of fans who every year fall in love with what they see in preseason only to be smacked back to relaity by the regular season.

ikestops85
09-23-2010, 11:19 AM

I was hoping for that too NB. I figured Leftwich would be Batch 2.0 and we might be able to flip Dixon for a decent draft pick. It's a shame Dixon got hurt because I still think he has the ability to be a decent player.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Before he got hurt I wasn't as down on him as a lot seem to be. He had hardly any playing time, he had a rough but OK 1st outing this year, and there was nothing to say he had "peaked". I was looking forward to his development as a QB while we won the next 2 games!

Then, either he'd stay around as our backup, or we'd get good trade stuff for him.

I wonder what the FO is going to do when he is ready to come back in a month or so...?

proudpittsburgher
09-23-2010, 12:26 PM
Before he got hurt I wasn't as down on him as a lot seem to be. He had hardly any playing time, he had a rough but OK 1st outing this year, and there was nothing to say he had "peaked". I was looking forward to his development as a QB while we won the next 2 games!

Then, either he'd stay around as our backup, or we'd get good trade stuff for him.

I wonder what the FO is going to do when he is ready to come back in a month or so...?

I would have loved for him to flourish, but he just seemed lost out there in every opportunity he has had to start for this team. The best quarterbacks . . . I know this is less than scientific . . . they make mistakes when they are thrown out there but they have a couple of wow moments mixed in to show you what they are capable of. Ben is a perfect example. In his first game against the Ravens, when he came in for an injurred Tommy Gun, Ben threw the pick 6, but he also threw a TD pass, made some things happen with his movement. You could just see somethign there. I never got that vibe from DD. People want players with above-average athletic ability (usually mobile QBS) to turn into something, but it just never happens with some.

RuthlessBurgher
09-23-2010, 10:05 PM
just an illusion of fans who every year fall in love with what they see in preseason only to be smacked back to relaity by the regular season.

I guess the Houston Texans really screwed up by spending a couple of 2nd round picks to get Matt Schaub because they fell in love with what they saw of him in the preseason when he was with Atlanta. The Texans sure have been smacked back to reality by Schaub's performance in the regular season, when he lead the league in passing yardage and is off to an impressive 2-0 record so far this year. Stupid, naive Texans...trusting what they see in preseason.

Flasteel
09-23-2010, 10:36 PM
The best quarterbacks . . . I know this is less than scientific . . . they make mistakes when they are thrown out there but they have a couple of wow moments mixed in to show you what they are capable of. Ben is a perfect example. In his first game against the Ravens, when he came in for an injurred Tommy Gun, Ben threw the pick 6, but he also threw a TD pass, made some things happen with his movement.

He threw 2 TDs in that game...in the 4th quarter.

Just sayin' :D

proudpittsburgher
09-24-2010, 11:23 AM
The best quarterbacks . . . I know this is less than scientific . . . they make mistakes when they are thrown out there but they have a couple of wow moments mixed in to show you what they are capable of. Ben is a perfect example. In his first game against the Ravens, when he came in for an injurred Tommy Gun, Ben threw the pick 6, but he also threw a TD pass, made some things happen with his movement.

He threw 2 TDs in that game...in the 4th quarter.

Just sayin' :D

I stand corrected, your florida-ness. :) But you get my point. I have seen very, very little, if anythign that shows me that DD is a vyable option at QB for an NFL team, outside of a gimmick role in a wildcat offense. But I was the idiot who wanted Charlie Batch to start week one, so what do I know. :stirpot It's also the reason I am waiting for the day that the Steelers release Limus Sweed . . . outside of being able to get open, he has sown nothing.