PDA

View Full Version : SidSmythe Planning 1st trip to Heinz ....

SidSmythe
09-22-2010, 12:11 PM
OK, i made it to my first TRAINING CAMP and PIRATES game last month. Got to drive by Heinz, but it's about time SIDSMYTHE came to HEINZ FIELD
EITHER the Jets or Bungles game in DECEMBER

#1 ... anyone w/ a hot daughter willing to shack me up?? No... just kidding, my wife would be mad and I'll probably stay in GROVE CITY
#2 ... What is the best way for a Western NY'er to get tickets???

Shawn
09-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Oh goodness...Pittsburghers lock up the small farm animals. Sid's coming to town. :D

papillon
09-22-2010, 12:32 PM
OK, i made it to my first TRAINING CAMP and PIRATES game last month. Got to drive by Heinz, but it's about time SIDSMYTHE came to HEINZ FIELD
EITHER the Jets or Bungles game in DECEMBER

#1 ... anyone w/ a hot daughter willing to shack me up?? No... just kidding, my wife would be mad and I'll probably stay in GROVE CITY
#2 ... What is the best way for a Western NY'er to get tickets???

There are always entrepreneurs selling tickets outside the stadium prior to the game. :P

Pappy

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-22-2010, 12:37 PM
NFL has some kind of ticket purchase program - might be worth checking out.

papillon
09-22-2010, 12:39 PM

What? No wise @$$ remarks for Smythe? :P

Pappy

phillyesq
09-22-2010, 12:42 PM

Enjoy your first trip! I had seen the Steelers at Three Rivers, and I've seen them on the road, but last year was my first trip to Heinz field. It was great experience - you'll have a blast.

However - what on earth would possess you to stay in Grove City?

SidSmythe
09-23-2010, 07:01 PM

Pappy

Everyone knows it's too cold in December for Farm Animals!! :Boobs
I saw some ticket thingy'z online, not sure what to trust.

I use to stay in Wexford right off the Interstate, but last trip I stayed in Grove city... why not?? Gives me a little head start home.

SteelHead
09-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Enjoy your 1st Heinz experience man !!

My wife and I made our 1st trip there back in 2008 for the season opener vs. Houston. We had amazing seats on the 40 yd line, id say about 10-12 rows up on the 1st level. I couldn't believe how close to the action you actually were. Friggin awesome.

What a day man , the stadium was beautiful , the fans were fantastic and oh yeah , we kicked the crap out of the Texans.

Only thing that sucked was it was such a blowout, Ben sat much of the second half.

Have a great time !

RuthlessBurgher
09-23-2010, 07:53 PM

Pappy

I use to stay in Wexford right off the Interstate, but last trip I stayed in Grove city... why not?? Gives me a little head start home.

When I took my wife to a game one year, we stayed in Grove City because my wife wanted to have time to shop at the outlets (of course...but I didn't mind as much since they have a Steeler outlet there).

My father and I often stop to eat at Rachel's in Mercer (which you can get to from the Grove City exit off of I-79).

rpmpit
09-23-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm planning on being at the Jets game in December. Let me know if that's the game you're coming to.

I've never had a problem getting tickets off Ebay. I'm always tempted to scalp tickets at the game. But I got a 4-1/2 hour drive to Pittsburgh and I don't think I'd be comfortable heading out without tickets in hand.

phillyesq
09-24-2010, 01:31 PM

Pappy

When I took my wife to a game one year, we stayed in Grove City because my wife wanted to have time to shop at the outlets (of course...but I didn't mind as much since they have a Steeler outlet there).

My father and I often stop to eat at Rachel's in Mercer (which you can get to from the Grove City exit off of I-79).

Rachel's is a decent spot, but you should really check out Butterfields, a bar just off the main square in Mercer. To this day, I haven't found wings that compare to theirs. Of course, if you're facing a ride back to NEPA, there could be other complications with that decision, but the wings are amazing.

phillyesq
09-24-2010, 01:35 PM

I only bust on Grove City because I've spent far too much time there. Depending on where you're coming from, it can be convenient.

RuthlessBurgher
09-24-2010, 02:46 PM

Pappy

Rachel's is a decent spot, but you should really check out Butterfields, a bar just off the main square in Mercer. To this day, I haven't found wings that compare to theirs. Of course, if you're facing a ride back to NEPA, there could be other complications with that decision, but the wings are amazing.

I'll have to try that...I like me some wings, and there are enough rest areas and truck stops on I-80 should the sudden need arrive. :P

Is it on the same road as Rachel's? Go toward I-80 from Rachel's, cross over I-80 and into downtown Mercer (never been up that way before).

My next trip to the Baltimore game will be with my son, who is 9. He loves wings. Is it a restaurant/bar like Rachel's where he can come in and eat, or is it more of a full fledged bar that happens to serve wings that may not be the best idea to bring a young fella like him (i.e. save it for when I am with my Dad instead).

pepsyman1
09-24-2010, 05:22 PM
I have had good luck using Stub Hub for Steelers Tickets. One occasion I even picked the tickets up at McFaddens right near the Stadium (for the Raven's Monday Night game a couple years back).

My other recommendation is too park over somewhere close to Station Square and take one of the riverboat rides over to the Stadium. It's a lot less agg than trying to park near the stadium and gives you some great views of the city. While you're there, go up the Duquesne Incline and eat at one of the restaurants at the top. It's a great experience looking down over the city.

RuthlessBurgher
09-25-2010, 03:19 PM
I have had good luck using Stub Hub for Steelers Tickets. One occasion I even picked the tickets up at McFaddens right near the Stadium (for the Raven's Monday Night game a couple years back).

My other recommendation is too park over somewhere close to Station Square and take one of the riverboat rides over to the Stadium. It's a lot less agg than trying to park near the stadium and gives you some great views of the city. While you're there, go up the Duquesne Incline and eat at one of the restaurants at the top. It's a great experience looking down over the city.

For all the years I have been going to Steeler games (have had season tix since Heinz opened), I have never taken the Incline up to the top of Mt. Washington. I'll be going with my wife in a few weeks (the Cleveland game...Ben's triumphant return), and I want to take her up there for a good late birthday dinner (after taking her out to dinner close to home for actual birthday). Any suggestions for a good restaurant up there overlooking the city on the Saturday night preceding that Browns' game? I believe it was Pappy who gave me some suggestions for restaurants up there, but that was probably a couple of years ago, and I can't find that thread now.

phillyesq
09-28-2010, 08:40 PM

Rachel's is a decent spot, but you should really check out Butterfields, a bar just off the main square in Mercer. To this day, I haven't found wings that compare to theirs. Of course, if you're facing a ride back to NEPA, there could be other complications with that decision, but the wings are amazing.[/quote]

I'll have to try that...I like me some wings, and there are enough rest areas and truck stops on I-80 should the sudden need arrive. :P

Is it on the same road as Rachel's? Go toward I-80 from Rachel's, cross over I-80 and into downtown Mercer (never been up that way before).

My next trip to the Baltimore game will be with my son, who is 9. He loves wings. Is it a restaurant/bar like Rachel's where he can come in and eat, or is it more of a full fledged bar that happens to serve wings that may not be the best idea to bring a young fella like him (i.e. save it for when I am with my Dad instead).[/quote]

Ruthless, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

Butterfield's, if it is still there, is more of a bar than Rachel's. Probably a place to check out with your Dad first. I just checked google maps street view, and I'm not sure if it is still there. The address I found online was 430 Erie Street in Mercer - it is on the same road as 19, a few miles past 80.