PDA

View Full Version : Rumor about Arian's future

rpmpit
09-22-2010, 07:18 AM
I'm on FB last night responding to a friend's post about Braylon Edwards and bringing up the fact that Ben was suspended with no arrest, no charges, etc. So a friend of a friend comes on and he's supporting my comment. Then he goes into how well the D is playing and from what he was saying, I could tell he was also a Steeler fan. Then I say if the D keeps it up when Ben gets back, we won't be beaten. He comes back with this:

"Exactly. Gotta win one last one for Bruce (Arians, the OC) because word passing around the family (he's my second cousin) is that he's retiring after this season."

Now, I don't know this person. Like I said, he's a friend of a friend. I have message out to my friend asking if he's legit or just a pathological liar. But seriously, who would lie about being BA's cousin??

steelblood
09-22-2010, 07:36 AM
Even if he is contemplating it, I don't think he will unless the Steelers win the Super Bowl or there is a lockout.

rpmpit
09-22-2010, 07:55 AM
UPDATE!!!

Here is the message I sent my friend and his reply:

Hey Tom. Your friend said he was the Steelers offensive coordinator's cousin. Is that true? Or is this guy a pathological liar? LOL!!

lol...no its true. I know his parents real well. They are on the board of directors for the drum corps. His dad is the one related

Mister Pittsburgh
09-22-2010, 08:04 AM
I fully expect to see Arians gone after this season be it through retirement or just not renewing his contract. It is the last year of his contract. I expect to see current QB coach Randy Fichtner then appointed OC.

I also think this will be Dick Lebeau's final season and Keith Butler will be named DC. Why else would he have turned down the Miami DC job. Sure, Parcells was there but would that prevent a football coach from taking a promotion when they have so many young defensive players in Miami to work with?

SteelCrazy
09-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Maybe if we give Arians pure hell this season it'll make it easier for him to retire and not pull a Favre.

Slapstick
09-22-2010, 08:26 AM
It would not surprise me a bit if several Steelers' coaches retired after this season...

As previously pointed out, LeBeau is now 73 years old...although he looks better than I do at half his age :wink: ...

Bear Bryant died almost thirty years ago and two of our coaches (Bruce Arians and John Mitchell) were his assistant coaches at one time...

There is a lot of experience and football history on this staff...

ramblinjim
09-22-2010, 08:39 AM
I fully expect to see Arians gone after this season be it through retirement or just not renewing his contract. It is the last year of his contract. I expect to see current QB coach Randy Fichtner then appointed OC.

I also think this will be bad word Lebeau's final season and Keith Butler will be named DC. Why else would he have turned down the Miami DC job. Sure, Parcells was there but would that prevent a football coach from taking a promotion when they have so many young defensive players in Miami to work with?

:Agree

It'll be a sad day when Coach Lebeau finally shuts it down but you know it's coming sooner rather than later. Keith Butler is the logical choice for DC. Not sure about OC though, I'm thinking perhaps the team may look outside?

stlrz d
09-22-2010, 08:45 AM
I'm on FB last night responding to a friend's post about Braylon Edwards and bringing up the fact that Ben was suspended with no arrest, no charges, etc. So a friend of a friend comes on and he's supporting my comment. Then he goes into how well the D is playing and from what he was saying, I could tell he was also a Steeler fan. Then I say if the D keeps it up when Ben gets back, we won't be beaten. He comes back with this:

"Exactly. Gotta win one last one for Bruce (Arians, the OC) because word passing around the family (he's my second cousin) is that he's retiring after this season."

Now, I don't know this person. Like I said, he's a friend of a friend. I have message out to my friend asking if he's legit or just a pathological liar. But seriously, who would lie about being BA's cousin??

http://www.thedachshundnetwork.com/vbb/images/smilies/3_21%20smileys/202_animated_person_praying.gif http://www.thedachshundnetwork.com/vbb/images/smilies/3_21%20smileys/202_animated_person_praying.gif http://www.thedachshundnetwork.com/vbb/images/smilies/3_21%20smileys/202_animated_person_praying.gif

Djfan
09-22-2010, 08:48 AM

http://www.thedachshundnetwork.com/vbb/images/smilies/3_21%20smileys/202_animated_person_praying.gif http://www.thedachshundnetwork.com/vbb/images/smilies/3_21%20smileys/202_animated_person_praying.gif http://www.thedachshundnetwork.com/vbb/images/smilies/3_21%20smileys/202_animated_person_praying.gif

:Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree

:tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2

feltdizz
09-22-2010, 09:39 AM
A newspaper in Pittsburgh posted Arians was fired when he wasn't...

I wouldn't get too excited about a FB rumor. LOL

Captain Lemming
09-22-2010, 10:24 AM

Wait til I start spreading the rumor:

Someone on a message board I read, said his friend, knows someone on facebook, who knows some else who is related to BA through his dad.

I think there are fewer points of separation between me and Obama.

phillyesq
09-22-2010, 10:25 AM

Here you go, raining on everyone's parade by trying to introduce logic. Can't you let us dream? :lol:

aggiebones
09-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Retire or not retire. But who rats out their family's personal decisions.

Oviedo
09-22-2010, 11:05 AM

I also think this will be bad word Lebeau's final season and Keith Butler will be named DC. Why else would he have turned down the Miami DC job. Sure, Parcells was there but would that prevent a football coach from taking a promotion when they have so many young defensive players in Miami to work with?

I think you are right on about Butler but not so sure about Fichtner. I think they will do an open search for a new OC if Arians leaves or is not renewed. Not sure they want someone who has never been an OC take over when the window of opportunity for winning a Super Bowl is still open.

RuthlessBurgher
09-22-2010, 11:16 AM

Someone on a message board I read, said his friend, knows someone on facebook, who knows some else who is related to BA through his dad.

There are definitely fewer points of separation between you and Kevin Bacon. :mrgreen:

rpmpit
09-22-2010, 11:25 AM

Didn't post the information to be mocked. If you choose not to believe it, then don't. Doesn't bother me either way. Just stumbled across this and thought I'd share.

RuthlessBurgher
09-22-2010, 11:28 AM

Didn't post the information to be mocked. If you choose not to believe it, then don't. Doesn't bother me either way. Just stumbled across this and thought I'd share.

Take another look at your sig pic. You should expect to be mocked with every post you make. :P

rpmpit
09-22-2010, 11:28 AM

Take another look at your sig pic. You should expect to be mocked with every post you make. :P

Are you saying my wife isn't hot???

RuthlessBurgher
09-22-2010, 11:37 AM

No...I'm saying her tat is on the wrong d@mn shoulder. Right side only. That deserves mocking right there. :P

rpmpit
09-22-2010, 11:41 AM

No...I'm saying her tat is on the wrong d@mn shoulder. Right side only. That deserves mocking right there. :P

Nude portrait of me covering her entire right shoulder. So that wasn't an option. :lol: :lol:

ikestops85
09-22-2010, 11:46 AM

Nude portrait of me covering her entire right shoulder. So that wasn't an option. :lol: :lol:

http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/1-14-05/disgustin.jpg

Mister Pittsburgh
09-22-2010, 11:57 AM

I think you are right on about Butler but not so sure about Fichtner. I think they will do an open search for a new OC if Arians leaves or is not renewed. Not sure they want someone who has never been an OC take over when the window of opportunity for winning a Super Bowl is still open.

I guess I just think it will be Fichtner due to his relationship with Tomlin. Plus, if you look at Fichtner's past experience, he has had success at all stops...one of which was coaching with Tomlin at Arkansas State. Tomlin brought Fichtner on as his WR coach upon being hired and retained Arians for some continuity. Ken Anderson retires and Fichtner is then promoted to QB coach. What better way to transition a guy to OC than to have him work hand in hand with the starting QB and gain his trust that way. Check the dudes history out....I think this is the future OC. Steelers love their continuity....

Randy Fichtner is in his third season coaching the Steelersí wide receivers. He joins the Steelers after serving the previous six seasons at the University of Memphis. Fichtner was hired by Mike Tomlin on Jan. 29, 2007, to coach the teamís wide receivers.

Fichtnerís receiving core had an excellent season in 2008 as Hines Ward topped 1,000 yards (1,043) for the fifth time in his career, and Santonio Holmes was named MVP of Super Bowl XLIII after catching nine passes for 131 yards (14.6 avg.), including the game-winning touchdown reception with 35 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter.

Under the tutelage of Fichtner, Ward and Holmes matched their reception total from 2006 (123), while increasing their TD catches from eight in 2006 to 15 in 2007.

Fichtner, who instituted the spread offense at Memphis, was an integral part of the Tiger football team for six years. He was hired in 2001 to serve as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, and his offense re-wrote the Memphis record book for six seasons.
Under Fichtnerís direction, former Tiger quarterback Danny Wimprine emerged as one of the top passers in Conference-USA in 2003.

In 2004, the Tiger offense received much attention heading into the season with a veteran quarterback, an All-American running back in DeAngelo Williams, a seasoned offensive line and a deep receiving corps. That offense lived up to the billing and finished the year ranked ninth nationally in total offense, and 10th in the nation in scoring.

In 2005, Fichtnerís talent was heavily tested as the Tigers lost their two starting quarterbacks by the third game of the season. Fichtner had to make adjustments and instructed true freshman Billy Barefield, who ledMemphis to an upset win over UTEP, and then shifted to leading receiver Maurice Avery, who led the Tigers to a 5-2 record and a Motor City Bowl victory as the starting quarterback.

Fichtner was a part of unprecedented offensive success at Memphis that has also contributed to the Tigers playing in three straight bowl games from 2003-05.

The 2002 squad set a record for total offense with 4,258 yards, and then the 2003 team shattered that mark with 5,779 yards of total offense. In 2004, the Tigers amassed 5,524 yards of total offense to rank second all-time. The 2004 Tigers also set school records in points scored with 430 and in passing touchdowns with 25.

Fichtner was no stranger to Memphis when he joined the staff in 2001. He had previously served as an assistant for the Tigers. Prior to his second stint at Memphis , Fichtner spent four years (1997-2000) at Arkansas State University . He arrived in Jonesboro as the quarterback coach in the spring of 1997 and was promoted to offensive coordinator in August of 1997.
During his tenure with the Indians, Fichtner worked with quarterback Cleo Lemon, who set virtually every Arkansas State passing and total offense record.

Prior to joining the staff at Arkansas State, Fichtner spent three years at his alma mater, Purdue, serving as wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator from 1994-96.

The Cleveland, Ohio, native originally went to Memphis in the fall of 1990 and coached the Tiger receivers and quarterbacks for four seasons. During his stay at Memphis, Fichtner worked with St. Louis Rams All-Pro wide receiver Isaac Bruce.

Fichtner, 45, worked as a student assistant and graduate assistant at Purdue (1985-86) and at Michigan (1986-87), before serving as a volunteer coach at Southern California in 1988. He landed his first full-time position in 1989 as the tight end coach at UNLV and worked for the Rebels for one season before coming to Memphis.

Fichtner graduated from Purdue in 1985 with a bachelorís degree in health promotion. He is married to the former Jennifer Parker of Covington, Tenn., and the couple has three children: a son, Nathaniel Ross, and daughters, Shelby Brooke and Kirby Lynn.

ramblinjim
09-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Nice work finding that Mr. Pitt. Alright, I'll bite and agree with you that Fichter should be a front runner for the OC spot then.

rpmpit
09-22-2010, 12:11 PM

http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/1-14-05/disgustin.jpg

:lol: :lol: Whatever happened to Tim Meadows anyway?? :lol: :lol: