PDA

View Full Version : Legursky and Leftwich to start Sunday

hawaiiansteel
09-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Ed: Guess Here is Leftwich Starts

TUESDAY, 21 SEPTEMBER 2010 15:02 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

I would say after listening to Mike Tomlin today that Byron Leftwich will start at quarterback, even though he said Batch is in the "pole position.'' Max Starks and Casey Hampton will return and Doug Legursky will start at right guard. Trai Essex was spotted Tuesday, his foot (ankle) in a boot and walking on crutches. That's how we saw Starks after his injury in the season opener.

Legursky is not a big dropoff at guard and having Starks back is an improvement so the line, overall, should be more capable this week. Now, they'll have to feed the old guy at right tackle enough water so he does not get dehydrated again in the heat in Tampa Sunday.

Jason Worilds also should be able to play and that's more good news for the special teams (and probably not so good news for Keenan Lewis, who dressed for the second game because Worilds could not). Worilds and Stevenson Sylvester are two good, young special teams players. You don't need to know the stats to see that but Sylvest leads special teams with four total tackles (three of them solo) and has the only forced fumble. Worilds had three tackles (two solo) after one game.

That's what you want to see in young players who are not starting, outstanding play on special teams, especially from rookie linebackers. Again, it was the first red flag on Bruce Davis that he could not play special teams as a rookie and was gone before he reached his second season.

The Patriots signed Davis to their practice squad after the Steelers cut him last season. He spent all year on their practice squad, signed with them in the offseason and they released him in May. Denver signed him and then released him before training camp started and he is nowhere man today. That's a nice bust for a third-round pick. One year in the bigs virtually without dressing, one with a practice squad and you can't even get invited to a training camp in 2010.

Not to get on that tangent. Sorry, but someone blew that one. How many scouts? How much money? How many games and tapes of games and practices and millions of miles in travel? How many post-season all-star games, workouts and Indy combine poking goes on, and you wind up with that on the third round? And it happens to others, not just the Steelers.

Back to Tomlin's press conference:

http://c0020036.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/images/stories/J_Allison/EDtom21.jpg

First off, forget everything he said about Tampa. Opposing coaches could make the Cleveland Browns sound like Super Bowl contenders, so let's not forget that Tampa struggled at home to eke one out against the Browns, then beat a bad Carolina team on the road.

And let's not forget that MT said this one week ago after he finished lavishing more praise on the Tennessee Titans, "So, we don't have a lot to be optimistic about."

Here's one thing MT said about the Bucs today: "Nobody's scored against them in the second halves of football games this season. That speaks to how they evolve over the course of the game, so we've got our work cut out for us."

Maybe nobody's scored against them in the second half because they haven't played anyone yet.

Photo of Mike Tomlin's press conference today by Andrew Rush/Post-Gazette
http://ht.ly/196pmR

proudpittsburgher
09-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Hows about changing the thread title to

"Bouchette: Legursky and Leftwich to start Sunday"

I was starting to think it was official. :lol:

Flasteel
09-21-2010, 08:16 PM
All good news as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not rooting for the Essex injury by any means, but think that Legursky couldn't be much worse. I know some were critical of his play last week, but I honestly didn't pick up on any of that from the clouded spot atop my bar stool. :Cheers

Very glad to hear about Max and Snack. I just hope with that Hampton hammy, that he's not coming back too soon and winds up aggravating it. Hoke did a nice job, so we aren't desparate to get him back. Then again, we're gonna need the bodies to rotate in there, due to our Tampa Bay heat.

hawaiiansteel
09-21-2010, 11:29 PM

I'm not rooting for the Essex injury by any means, but think that Legursky couldn't be much worse.

I find it interesting that Legursky will be starting at RG instead of Ramon Foster, must be that position flexibility thing.

Chadman
09-21-2010, 11:40 PM
Legursky is a bull- very strong. If he can show he's up to it, Essex might have a challenge getting his spot back.

Smart too.

Foster should be challenging Kemo....

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-21-2010, 11:49 PM
For all of those who had the very unrealistic idea that we could have Pouncey as our starting C and Legursky as our starting RG....... only week 3 and here it is. Let's see what happens when Essex is ready to return.

Shawn
09-22-2010, 12:11 AM
Legursky is a good run blocker but he has at times been a turnstyle with pass protection. I don't think he is much of a drop off from Essex but I don't think he is better.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-22-2010, 12:14 AM

I'm not rooting for the Essex injury by any means, but think that Legursky couldn't be much worse. I know some were critical of his play last week, but I honestly didn't pick up on any of that from the clouded spot atop my bar stool. :Cheers

Legursky played a good game Sunday.

There are those that hate that he made the team over Urbik, so they're going to yap. But in the Tennessee game, there isn't really much to criticize him for.

Ed: Guess Here is Leftwich Starts

Wasn't it Douchette that said that Batch was going to start the opener?

hawaiiansteel
09-22-2010, 12:25 AM
For all of those who had the very unrealistic idea that we could have Pouncey as our starting C and Legursky as our starting RG....... only week 3 and here it is. Let's see what happens when Essex is ready to return.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Legursky can do with this starting opportunity.

RuthlessBurgher
09-22-2010, 02:32 AM

I'm not rooting for the Essex injury by any means, but think that Legursky couldn't be much worse.

I find it interesting that Legursky will be starting at RG instead of Ramon Foster, must be that position flexibility thing.

I'd rather have Foster starting at RG and have Legursky be the backup C-G. If Legursky starts at RG, and something happens to Pouncey, then you have to make two in-game moves to fill that spot (move Legursky from RG to C and insert Foster at RG). I hate having to make the two-move switch. Plus, Foster has experience starting at guard for us last year...Legursky does not.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-22-2010, 04:05 AM
They should design some plays with Legursky pulling. Dude is 300+ and runs a 4.8 40yds.

steelblood
09-22-2010, 07:42 AM

I'd rather have Foster starting at RG and have Legursky be the backup C-G. If Legursky starts at RG, and something happens to Pouncey, then you have to make two in-game moves to fill that spot (move Legursky from RG to C and insert Foster at RG). I hate having to make the two-move switch. Plus, Foster has experience starting at guard for us last year...Legursky does not.

If it is as hot as they say it is going to be, the Steelers will be making multiple substitutions quite often any way. Besides, I would never make a change to the o-line based on an eventuality that another player is injured. Best player at each position should play. That said, I'm not sure I believe that Legursky is better than Foster.

phillyesq
09-22-2010, 07:53 AM

:Agree

I like Legursky as a center, but not as much as a guard.

I don't think that Foster is anything great either - I think that his eventual upside is to be the next Trai Essex, but I think he is, sadly, probably the best option to start at RG. It's a shame that Scott is on the PUP - he's really missing a golden opportunity to throw his hat into the ring.

RuthlessBurgher
09-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Maybe it is also that Ramon Foster looks more like a guard than Legursky. Foster is 5 inches taller than Legursky (6'6" 325 lbs. vs. 6'1" 315 lbs.). Foster passes the eyeball test when compared to other NFL lineman. On the other hand, Legursky looks more like an overstuffed fullback (which he is sometimes). With behemoths like Adams and Starks out there, Legursky appears to be woefully out of place based on appearance alone (not that appearance means everything, or even anythig...but I'm just sayin').

SteelCrazy
09-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Who's starting? Bouchette says it is Lefty and Tomlin says Batch. Do we flip a coin?

Crash
09-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Not a good year or so for the "Dean" Bouchette.

He said Clark was gone. Nope.

He said Hampton was gone. Nope.

He said Arians was gone. Nope.

Said Batch would start opener. Nope.

Said Leftwich would start Sunday. Nope.

Other stations were actually in a "bidding war" for Bouchette's "Insider" knowledge?

:Blah

SteelCrazy
09-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Not a good year or so for the "Dean" Bouchette.

He said Clark was gone. Nope.

He said Hampton was gone. Nope.

He said Arians was gone. Nope.

Said Batch would start opener. Nope.

Said Leftwich would start Sunday. Nope.

Other stations were actually in a "bidding war" for Bouchette's "Insider" knowledge?

:Blah

I like some of Eddie's stuff but his predictions are for shat....