PDA

View Full Version : Braylon Edwards faces DWI charge...

focosteeler
09-21-2010, 04:17 PM
(sorry if this doenst belong here)

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/ ... id=5598872 (http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5598872)

he is already on probation in cleavland for the whole punching lebrons friend mess...do you think he deserves a suspension?

Ghost
09-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Of course he should. If the NFL truely cared about putting a stop to it's players drunk driving; they would implement a severve punishment for all players convicted of DUI. 6 games at least. A full season for the 2nd offense.

How hard is it to call a F'n cab? I do it all the time and I'm not a millionaire!!

feltdizz
09-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Of course he should. If the NFL truely cared about putting a stop to it's players drunk driving; they would implement a severve punishment for all players convicted of DUI. 6 games at least. A full season for the 2nd offense.

How hard is it to call a F'n cab? I do it all the time and I'm not a millionaire!!

DUI is the one crime the NFL hasn't been able to improve... there should be a much stiffer penalty for it.

hawaiiansteel
09-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Jets will impose "appropriate disciplinary measures" against Braylon

Posted by Mike Florio on September 21, 2010 2:21 PM ET

The Jets talked tough earlier today about receiver Braylon Edwards. It could be that their bark will have some bite.

G.M. Mike Tannenbaum said Tuesday that the Jets "will impose the appropriate disciplinary measures" against Edwards in the wake of his early-morning arrest for DUI.

The problem is that, technically, it's not appropriate for the Jets to impose any disciplinary measures. The labor deal places these matters within the exclusive jurisdiction of the league. In theory, the team can do nothing.

But if Edwards isn't inclined to fight, it won't matter. And Edwards likely won't want to compound the distraction he created by creating an even bigger distraction via an expedited arbitration aimed at forcing his way into the lineup for Sunday night's game against Miami.

And even if he fights it, the time arguably has come for accountability. Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com quotes an unnamed player who lashed out at Edwards.

"It's ridiculous," the player said. "First, we have a program in place to prevent this exact thing. Second, he's in a contract year and if he can't keep his nose clean this year, how about when he gets a new contract? He has money to call for a ride.

"It's unacceptable because now his teammates have to answer questions on that instead of focusing on Miami. Some people can't handle a little success. . . . We just started putting that reporter stuff behind us, and now this. They should fine him to the max. This is just stupid."

It is stupid, and regardless of how it all turns out Edwards may have done more to help Santonio Holmes get a contract extension than Holmes could do in the 12 games he'll play after his own suspension under the substance-abuse policy ends.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... t-braylon/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/21/jets-will-impose-appropriate-disciplinary-measures-against-braylon/)

aggiebones
09-21-2010, 04:37 PM
If they cut off their hands, then they will get the message.
Oh wait, we have penalty limitations here? Oh, sorry.

Now Braylon is due for a suspension. If he doesn't get 4 games, he'll get the sit down and warning. Any other fallout and he's likely getting 4 games.
VJackson got 4 games for 2 of them.

Our league is not supposed to be eradicating all social ills. We have courts and a legal system to do that. And fail at it they do, but not the NFL's job to handle that.

Now, they are involved in policing embarrassment and Braylon is borderline embarrassing. We'll see how far over the limit the good Commish thinks he went.

Hasn't he done some other moronic things besides DUI and punishing Lebron's friend?

NJ-STEELER
09-21-2010, 04:43 PM
i dont get that last paragraph

holmes has a few more strikes on him then braylon

Djfan
09-21-2010, 05:07 PM
According to the guys on "The Drive" all NFLPA members have a toll free number on their membership card that gets them a free limo drive from anywhere to anywhere so that they don't drive drunk.

I think he should be suspended and Ben should get two more weeks because of it. That way it's all fair in Goodell's mind.

JTP53609
09-21-2010, 08:04 PM
he is a punk, he acted like a jerk and got flagged once and then he acted like a jerk again in the same game and did not get anything, shame on him and the refs...(i am speaking of the patriot game last week)

proudpittsburgher
09-21-2010, 08:12 PM
he is a punk, he acted like a jerk and got flagged once and then he acted like a jerk again in the same game and did not get anything, shame on him and the refs...(i am speaking of the patriot game last week)

I agree . . . saw the crap in the Patriots game and it kind of made me sick, even though I hate the Pats*. He is the kind of player I hate (just like Ocho) . . . Edwards can drop seven passes, make one catch and act like he just won the super bowl. Ocho gets shut down all game by Ike, gets a garbage TD, and claims to have owned Ike. I am not a bad person, but I will chuckle if he gets knocked the f out next time they play the pats*.

JTP53609
09-21-2010, 08:34 PM

I agree . . . saw the crap in the Patriots game and it kind of made me sick, even though I hate the Pats*. He is the kind of player I hate (just like Ocho) . . . Edwards can drop seven passes, make one catch and act like he just won the super bowl. Ocho gets shut down all game by Ike, gets a garbage TD, and claims to have owned Ike. I am not a bad person, but I will chuckle if he gets knocked the f out next time they play the pats*.

I agree with you on just about everything you said, he really moved up on my most disliked player list,
I kind of don't mind ochocinco, I think he is kind of funny and he says stuff that he knows is not true he just likes to get under the skin of opponents and he knows the media is stupid enough to take what he says seriously...

papillon
09-21-2010, 10:16 PM
Wouldn't obtaining a DUI while on probation be considered behavior detrimental to the NFL? He should get 6 games reduced to 4 if he bends over backwards and does everything Goodell asks him to do.

Pappy

steelblood
09-21-2010, 10:52 PM
I have to say that this whole idea that the drunk driving falls under the substance abuse policy only is a complete crock. If they want to apply the conduct policy here, they could. But, alas, they won't. Goddell doesn't want to have to deal with the NFLPA. Still, Drunk Driving is a far more potentially dangerous crime than anything that Ben was alleged to have done.

How in the world can Vincent Jackson get less of a suspension than Ben. Do you know how many times he probably had to drive drunk in order to get caught twice?

The NFL front offices are a mess right now in several ways. Players are arrested every day, witch hunts are held for some and evidence is destroyed for others, and the league is headed for a lockout because all of these millionaires need another yacht. I'm pretty fed up. If I didn't love the Steelers so much, I'd turn it off. 300 bucks for Sunday ticket and I still have to be subjected to 10 CSI commercials per game full of violent images that scare the crap out my eight year old, 3 hours of Ron Jaworski and his campy Columbia School of Broadcasting delivery, and an empty hole in the middle of our offense where our star QB should be (if the NFL wasn't so desperate to manage their image that they jumped on a bandwagon full of folks ready to convict a man who was never found guilty of a single crime).

Merry Christmas, pass the tylenol.

RuthlessBurgher
09-22-2010, 01:56 AM
Never mind the potential NFL sanctions...there are actual legal ramifications here. I believe that he is still on probation from the LeBron friend punch incident. If this drunk driving incident is considered to be in violation of that, he could actually be facing some jail time as a result of this.

JTP53609
09-22-2010, 09:16 AM
Never mind the potential NFL sanctions...there are actual legal ramifications here. I believe that he is still on probation from the LeBron friend punch incident. If this drunk driving incident is considered to be in violation of that, he could actually be facing some jail time as a result of this.

by seeing what a punk he is on the field I hope he winds up going to jail, I dont like him

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Another difference between the Steelers and the rest of the league.

Santonio gets caught with a joint in his car and is instantly suspended by the team for a very big upcoming game against the Giants (both teams 5-1 and looking like the class of the league) - which we ended up losing in the fourth Q. It was very controversial at the time but the team did what they felt they needed to do in order to adhere to a certain standard.

The Jets have a noted problem child get caught at 5 a.m. DUI (at least as bad if not worse). They talk tough about punishment, but he will be on the field this Sunday. My prediction is that they will get tough on him starting week 5. That is when Santonio returns from suspension and can start opposite Cotchery. At that point they will probably be looking for a way to get Edwards and his drops away from the team and will use this incident as a way to get tough on poor conduct.......two weeks after the fact.

phillyesq
09-22-2010, 12:37 PM
This is just another example of the flaws in the NFL's discipline system. There is no notion of fairness or due process. One man has all the power and all the discretion, and he imposes it on a whim.

If the NFL is going to suspend people based on what they do outside of the game of football, there should, at a minimum, be a panel involved. There also need to be appellate rights. A system where a commish hands down a heavy handed suspension, and has total discretion in adjusting same, makes challenging his actions a near impossibility.

I understand that the NFL has a strong business interest in not having a reputation as a league full of thugs and hoodlums, but its current personal conduct policy is quite flawed.

feltdizz
09-22-2010, 12:48 PM
I have to say that this whole idea that the drunk driving falls under the substance abuse policy only is a complete crock. If they want to apply the conduct policy here, they could. But, alas, they won't. Goddell doesn't want to have to deal with the NFLPA. Still, Drunk Driving is a far more potentially dangerous crime than anything that Ben was alleged to have done.

How in the world can Vincent Jackson get less of a suspension than Ben. Do you know how many times he probably had to drive drunk in order to get caught twice?

The NFL front offices are a mess right now in several ways. Players are arrested every day, witch hunts are held for some and evidence is destroyed for others, and the league is headed for a lockout because all of these millionaires need another yacht. I'm pretty fed up. If I didn't love the Steelers so much, I'd turn it off. 300 bucks for Sunday ticket and I still have to be subjected to 10 CSI commercials per game full of violent images that scare the crap out my eight year old, 3 hours of Ron Jaworski and his campy Columbia School of Broadcasting delivery, and an empty hole in the middle of our offense where our star QB should be (if the NFL wasn't so desperate to manage their image that they jumped on a bandwagon full of folks ready to convict a man who was never found guilty of a single crime).

damn

papillon
09-22-2010, 02:20 PM

damn

And, a lot of truth at the same time. damn!

Pappy

Ghost
09-22-2010, 02:42 PM
The more I thought about this - he should be suspended for the season for beng so stupid. Who can't find a cab in NEW YORK CITY????? WTF.....

Sugar
09-22-2010, 06:12 PM
The more I thought about this - he should be suspended for the season for beng so stupid. Who can't find a cab in NEW YORK CITY????? WTF.....

I was in a cab in New York City when I heard the news yesterday! (seriously, I was) :lol:

aggiebones
09-23-2010, 11:00 AM
[quote="steelblood"]

300 bucks for Sunday ticket and I still have to be subjected to 10 CSI commercials per game full of violent images that scare the crap out my eight year old....

I have the same problem. I remember during the playoffs I think last year, they kept showing horror movie adverts and it was pissing me off. I have 3 young boys and they kept showing 'The Unborn" clips that were freaking me out. I kept lunging for the remote. I actually wrote a letter to the whoever the broadcasting police are (can't remember). Never heard a word and they still are doing it. Money money money.

I too am tiring of sports in general and I'm only 41. Sports are fun to play, but once people start cheating excessively to gain an advantage regardless of what it does to their body, maybe its worth shutting down.

I stopped watching MLB and NBA completely. And I was very fond of both when younger. I'm holding on to NFL and it will be tough(impossible) for me to ever let the Steelers go. But I don't spend very much on an pro stuff these days.

kindlecatsb'ng
09-23-2010, 12:14 PM

Per the Cleveland Plain dealer today--
"Sunday he caught a TD pass and a two-point conversion, got a taunting penalty on the TD and easily could've drawn another on the PAT. When Jets' head coach Rex Ryan gave out game balls, he skipped over Edwards. He called Edwards' behavior "selfish." "

Djfan
09-23-2010, 03:18 PM

damn

Pappy

This is spot on!!

Honestly, the advantage to not having a Steelers' superbowl is that the hunting and fishing is not so crowded.

Djfan
09-23-2010, 03:23 PM

damn

Pappy