PDA

View Full Version : Best Rookie Class .....

SidSmythe
09-21-2010, 09:53 AM
I started getting this feeling during the preseason, but I think this might be our best Rookie Class in a long time.

Pouncey is starting.
Brown and Sanders appear to have serious potential.
Sly if nothing else could be the next Key Fox
Worilds & Butler still have potential, but probably won't see it 'til late in the season or 2011.

I just see this class as SOLID all around

Oviedo
09-21-2010, 09:59 AM
I started getting this feeling during the preseason, but I think this might be our best Rookie Class in a long time.

Pouncey is starting.
Brown and Sanders appear to have serious potential.
Sly if nothing else could be the next Key Fox
Worilds & Butler still have potential, but probably won't see it 'til late in the season or 2011.

I just see this class as SOLID all around

Add to that Dwyer, if he gets it, could be a steal and a solid #2 RB and Butler could be a solid find and potential future starter.

D Rock
09-21-2010, 10:00 AM
It's really hard to argue against Timmons and Woodley at this point (2007 draft class)

Especially considering Spaeth (3rd), Sepulveda (4th), and Gay (5th) were drafted that year too and all have at least been contributors over the years.

Gary Russell and Darnell Stapleton were UDFAs that year and helped the Steelers to win SB XLIII.

steelblood
09-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Tomlin's best rookie class so far is that first one (2007). But, this class could exceed it.

1. Pouncey - pro bowl potential, already a solid center
2. Worilds - Don't know what we have here. He played well on special teams in week one. I liked his pass rush ability at VT.
3. Sanders - This pick was a head scratcher for me and still is. He is quick, but not fast. He has good hands, but very average size. I think they see something in him that leads them to believe that he can be an effective starter on the outside and a master route runner. I hope it pans out.
4. Gibson - This is the pick that could shock everyone. He has so much upside. Speed, strength, agility, size. But, the kid really never put it all together at the college level for an extended period of time. It may take him two years to totally grasp the defense. I was disappointed with his special teams play in the preseason. I hope his instincts improve because that is something that really is tough to teach. This was a good gamble at this stage of the draft.
5. Sylvestor - I loved this pick when we made it. I watched Utah several times, and this kid stood out. He needs to fill out a bit, but he has the mentality and instincts that will keep him in the NFL for long time. He runs very well and should develop into a starter in time.
6. Antonio Brown - I couldn't firgure out why no one took this kid earlier. I loved his game a CMU. He was very productive and very quick AND fast. I think I get it now. He is not a quick learner. When he finally got into the game on offense on Sunday, he made a huge mental error. Did anyone else notice him in the slot in the second half? On third down and long, the ball is snapped and he just stands there. He isn't watching the ball (as you have to when there is crowd noise). He was late off the ball and Batch was left high and dry. He never came back out. IF Brown can focus and learn this offense, he is going to be an awesome slot receiver.
6B. Jonathan Dwyer - I really thought this was a smart pick. Then he came to camp fat and promptly got hurt. He made the team, but he must grow up and put the team first. I'm hopeful.
7. Worthington - Flashed in the preseason. Hopefully, he won't get snatched up form the PS by a 3-4 team later in the season. I think he could develop into a good rotational DE.

The grade has to be INComplete for now. But, I do see the possibility to get 3-5 future starters and 2-4 good roll players. I think we'll call this draft a B+ or an A- some day. Nice job, FO. Good way to make up for what may end up being a very average draft class (outside of Wallace) from last season.

RuthlessBurgher
09-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Tomlin's best rookie class so far is that first one (2007). But, this class could exceed it.

2. Worilds - Don't know what we have here. He played well on special teams in week one. I liked his pass rush ability at VT.
3. Sanders - This pick was a head scratcher for me and still is. He is quick, but not fast. He has good hands, but very average size. I think they see something in him that leads them to believe that he can be an effective starter on the outside and a master route runner. I hope it pans out.
4. Gibson - This is the pick that could shock everyone. He has so much upside. Speed, strength, agility, size. But, the kid really never put it all together at the college level for an extended period of time. It may take him two years to totally grasp the defense. I was disappointed with his special teams play in the preseason. I hope his instincts improve because that is something that really is tough to teach. This was a good gamble at this stage of the draft.
5. Sylvestor - I loved this pick when we made it. I watched Utah several times, and this kid stood out. He needs to fill out a bit, but he has the mentality and instincts that will keep him in the NFL for long time. He runs very well and should develop into a starter in time.
6. Antonio Brown - I couldn't firgure out why no one took this kid earlier. I loved his game a CMU. He was very productive and very quick AND fast. I think I get it now. He is not a quick learner. When he finally got into the game on offense on Sunday, he made a huge mental error. Did anyone else notice him in the slot in the second half? On third down and long, the ball is snapped and he just stands there. He isn't watching the ball (as you have to when there is crowd noise). He was late off the ball and Batch was left high and dry. He never came back out. IF Brown can focus and learn this offense, he is going to be an awesome slot receiver.
6B. Jonathan Dwyer - I really thought this was a smart pick. Then he came to camp fat and promptly got hurt. He made the team, but he must grow up and put the team first. I'm hopeful.
7. Worthington - Flashed in the preseason. Hopefully, he won't get snatched up form the PS by a 3-4 team later in the season. I think he could develop into a good rotational DE.

The grade has to be INComplete for now. But, I do see the possibility to get 3-5 future starters and 2-4 good roll players. I think we'll call this draft a B+ or an A- some day. Nice job, FO. Good way to make up for what may end up being a very average draft class (outside of Wallace) from last season.

We already released Doug Worthington from our practice squad to add LSU's Al Woods instead. You also did not mention our other 5th round pick Chris Scott as a versatile o-lineman with potential once his foot injury heals (he is currently on the PUP, and after week 6 we'll have a couple of weeks of practice with him before deciding whether he should be placed on I.R., cut, or added to our 53 man roster).

Oviedo
09-21-2010, 10:51 AM

Sanders is your next Hine Ward player. I say that not in terms of career production but role. Sanders is outstanding getting the ball underneath and getting yards after the catch. He has great hands and is a solid team guy from all reports out of college. IMO he will be a solid #2 compliment to Wallace.

Brown is more your burner who could could fill the #3 role and be your primary return man (something Nate Washington could never do for all his reputed athletic abilities). Brown has the ability to add another deep threat to take pressure off Wallace and keep the over the top coverage honest.

I think we have a solid future with Wallace, Sanders and Brown going forward. Add either Sweed or a new addition out of the next draft (Jonathon Baldwin anyone?) and we have a solid corps of young receivers.

As far as LBs, combine 2007 with this year and the LB corps is set for the next 3-4 years.

You also forgot Crezdon Butler who could be a future starter or at worst a nickle guy.

papillon
09-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Way too early to say anything about this class except that Pouncey has been a pleasant surprise.

However, the Timmons/Woodley class is looking good. :P :stirpot

Pappy

Jim K.
09-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Butler is going to be a great player in this league. Hopefully it's for us, because he can actually make, and hold onto, interceptions.

aggiebones
09-21-2010, 11:28 AM
I assume we are talking about the best class in recent years.
Still Timmons class is tops. How many of these guys vanish next year?

2. Worilds - Total wait and see. (we draft LBs every year, so he could disappear)
3. Sanders - This guy will develop and take over for Hines.
4. Gibson - Same as worilds, who really knows.
5. Sylvestor - Another LB. OK, has shown glimses. I wouldn't get too worked up yet though.
5.Scott - will be gone after we draft a high T (could linger like Essex, but never a factor)
6. Antonio Brown - kid has some game and they will learn to use it
6B. Jonathan Dwyer - potential, but we'll see how he comes out next offseason
7. Worthington - gone
?. Butler - I forget his draft position. Kid can play and likely the reason we let go of Burnett. Can he stick? Not sure yet.

Outside of Pouncey, there is no sure starter there. Maybe a WR starts at some point. But this draft actually reminds me of a filler group. A few strong backups and spot starters. Some guys that will be cut when they become veteran casualties since they'll make too much.

SidSmythe
09-21-2010, 05:56 PM
I failed to mention GIBSON in my original thread, but he seems to have a high motor.

I think SANDERS is a lot like HOLMES but w/ out the top end end. Very elusive and quick to catch the ball and make a move upfield.

Tomlin's 1st draft was very good, but this draft has a lot of potential

Chadman
09-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Plenty to like about this draft class.

Pouncey is one that Chadman isn't THAT excited about- not because Chadman doesn't like him, but because we kinda already know what we've got- a future Pro-Bowl player from early indications.

Worilds is very athletic, and the Steelers have a habit of making these guys work at OLB. Probably Harrison's future replacement- if we can't re-sign Wood.

Brown & Sanders look like contributers in the future- if not necessarily starters. Sanders could move into the starting role one day. Chadman wonders if ARE's return had much more to do with mentoring Antonio Brown?

Crezdon Butler looks decent- big, strong. Fits the system.

Dwyer could be vital when he starts to 'get it'- the Steelers really don't have an "option 2" if Mendy gets hurt- Dwyer could be that guy.

Scott looked decent in college- could be a useful OL rotation type in the future.

Sylvester certainly looks like a 'gamer'. Not sure if it will translate into being a 'starter' in Tomlin's world- might not be enough of an athlete.

Which leads to Chadman's progressively favourite pick- Thaddeus Gibson. Timmons-Lite looks like the most explosive player the Steelers drafted- just the kind of guy that helps a dominant defense remain that way. Chadman's tip- Gibson is going to go the same path as Timmons- move inside. It'll give the Steelers 2 of the fastest, most agile & explosive ILB's in the NFL. He could be Farrior's replacement.

StarSpangledSteeler
09-21-2010, 10:04 PM

Sanders is your next Hine Ward player. I say that not in terms of career production but role. Sanders is outstanding getting the ball underneath and getting yards after the catch. He has great hands and is a solid team guy from all reports out of college. IMO he will be a solid #2 compliment to Wallace.

Brown is more your burner who could could fill the #3 role and be your primary return man (something Nate Washington could never do for all his reputed athletic abilities). Brown has the ability to add another deep threat to take pressure off Wallace and keep the over the top coverage honest.

I think we have a solid future with Wallace, Sanders and Brown going forward. Add either Sweed or a new addition out of the next draft (Jonathon Baldwin anyone?) and we have a solid corps of young receivers.

As far as LBs, combine 2007 with this year and the LB corps is set for the next 3-4 years.

You also forgot Crezdon Butler who could be a future starter or at worst a nickle guy.

Interesting that you mention Sweed. I still believe the kid has potential, especially if you run him deep down the field. He is very very similar to Nate Washington. I'm not saying Sweed IS good now, i'm saying he has the potential to be a decent deep threat. Look at Vincent Jackson. Many of your taller faster receivers take 3 years to develop. I think there's a 50/50 chance we keep him. Especially when we are currently employing ARE and Battle who in my opinion have shown very little speed, and have practically zero upside. I see next year's roster as having room for Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, and two other WR's. Who knows, maybe Sweed will blossom.

The most intriuging player in the draft to me is Gibson. The kid is very young but already possesses excellent brute strength. And he will get even stronger. The reason why Harrison and Woodley are so successful is not their speed. It's their strength and leverage. If they can train up our young Padawan we'll have an excellent back-up for both OLB spots.

steelblood
09-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Worthington is gone for Woods. Right. I don't like that move as I watched Woods a lot when he played for LSU and was never impressed. Oh well. Hopefully, Skip McClendon will make it back to the PS. He looked good out there on Sunday.

Ovi,
I get that Sanders in the underneath type, but he is awfully skinny and I just haven't seen that run-after-the-catch potential yet. There is time though.

I can't believe I forgot Butler! Yeah, he could potentially start too.

Captain Lemming
09-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Funny how many see Sanders as having better upside than Brown.
I know its early to judge but -
Take away draft position and a blind man would see more in Brown than Sanders.