PDA

View Full Version : Dixon has torn meniscus. Out 3 weeks minimum.

Oviedo
09-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Just heard it on "The Drive." Unconfirmed reports say he is out at least 3 weks. Likely this will cost him a roster spot unless he gets put on IR when Ben comes back. Charlie Batch and his 9 lives continue!!!!!!

Health of Leftwich is still unknown but I think it is likely that Charlie is starting in Tampa.

Should be confirmed tomorrow if true!!!!

pfelix73
09-20-2010, 05:46 PM
Yep- Heard this too.

C ya DD. Been good knowing ya.

:tt1

Actually, they are all saying that as long as Leftwich is healthy, he'll get the start...

We'll see. Bet they won't know til closer to Friday..

SteelCrazy
09-20-2010, 05:49 PM
I dont share your two's excitement. With the lack of pass protection, to me, he is the only QB we have that can keep us afloat til Ben's return. Batch isn't going to escape many pass rushes nor is Lefty. Unless the D starts scoring too, we may be in trouble these next 2 games.

SteelCrazy
09-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Steelers Dennis Dixon Tore his Meniscus

Pittsburgh quarterback Dennis Dixon suffered a knee injury during the second quarter of the Steelers second game of the year. Dixon initially felt that his injury was not serious, and pending a positive report from an MRi, he planned to start the third game of the season against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

“Will I be ready next week? Yeah, I think I can.” Dixon said on Sunday. ”I planted wrong, it didn’t feel right after that. If it’s something serious, I want to be able to rehab. But I don’t think it is.”

I appears that the knee injury was worse than Dixon believed it to be. Several sources are reporting that the third year passer suffered a torn meniscus in his left knee. It is believed that Dixon will seek a second opinion on Tuesday and further steps will be taken the following day.

If Dixon is unable to play against the Buccaneers on Sunday, the starting role will likely fall to Charlie Batch or Byron Leftwich.

Read more: http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/den ... z106psPIr4 (http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/dennis-dixon-tore-his-meniscus/#ixzz106psPIr4)

Chadman
09-20-2010, 05:57 PM
If that is true, put Dixon on IR, go with Lefty & Batch with ARE as #3 until Ben is back.

Dixon still has some value to the organisation as he grows & develops- Chadman doesn't want to discard him too early. It could be that he can sit & learn behind 2 (or 3 so long as Batch hangs around) veterans that have played in the NFL with some success.

Chances are, Dixon will never become the Steelers QB- Ben has too many years in him left for Dixon to sit & wait...and wait...and wait...

But the Steelers could still get a couple of servicable years out of him before he moves on either by trade or FA.

Oviedo
09-20-2010, 06:43 PM
I dont share your two's excitement. With the lack of pass protection, to me, he is the only QB we have that can keep us afloat til Ben's return. Batch isn't going to escape many pass rushes nor is Lefty. Unless the D starts scoring too, we may be in trouble these next 2 games.

I actually prefer a QB who can read a defense so he doesn't have to scramble. With a torn meniscus Dixon has no mobility. He is right now a non-factor.

pfelix73
09-20-2010, 06:46 PM

I actually prefer a QB who can read a defense so he doesn't have to scramble. With a torn meniscus Dixon has no mobility. He is right now a non-factor.

:Agree

Then again, he's always been a 'non-factor'.

:tt2

Flasteel
09-20-2010, 07:43 PM

No doubt. I'd almost say he'd be a non-factor without the injury, but with a 3-week recovery staring him down, I'm thinking IR just might be the way to go.

JTP53609
09-20-2010, 08:56 PM
I was never high on Dix, but this is what I was confused about and maybe yinz can help me out....

Last year against Baltiwhore he was praised for how well he played, but if you look at his stats from that game he was 12/26 for 143 yds with one td/and one bad INT, his rating was 60...
yet his game against the falcons two weeks ago he was 18/26 for 236 and one INT. for a rating of 81...
Now, I know he had a 3 should of been INT's last week but he had a few bad balls against the rats too. my question is why as he praised last year and then after last week he was dumped on, another quick point is that last year he found out a few days before that he would start and he found out about a week before that he would start last week, so he has about the same time table to prepare..

Like I said I was never high on him but I dont get why he was thought of so highly after quite frankly a less than flattering game last year at baltimore against a defense that played pretty bad the frist half of the year in the ravens....

chiken
09-20-2010, 09:14 PM
just curious. Was Dixon hurt on a Designed qb Run?

Flasteel
09-20-2010, 09:24 PM
just curious. Was Dixon hurt on a Designed qb Run?

You mean THE designed run? Yeah...it was his last play anyway. He was hit pretty hard the 3 plays prior on the big scramble the fumbled snap, and a sack.

Good call...I hadn't even thought of that. Here I am raggin' on BA for not having any designed runs and he tears his meniscus on the first one. :oops: :lol:

MCHammer
09-20-2010, 09:26 PM
Like I said I was never high on him but I dont get why he was thought of so highly after quite frankly a less than flattering game last year at baltimore against a defense that played pretty bad the frist half of the year in the ravens....

You have a point, but my memory of that Baltimore game is that he played a pretty solid first half. That interception was understandible because Baltimore gave us a piece of our own medicine and dropped a DE into coverage. When Dixon read blitz he threw into what he thought would be an undefended space.

His numbers versus Atlanta on the other hand don't tell the other story either because we were lucky we got away with only 1 interception. He threw the ball poorly and we were lucky that the ATL defenders didn't come up with 2 or 3 picks.

aggiebones
09-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Can we not use the PUP anymore?

Its Batch this week. Maybe Lefty next week (or Randle El)

I think Batch versus TB is the way to go. God help us versus the Ravens.

Discipline of Steel
09-20-2010, 10:30 PM

You have a point, but my memory of that Baltimore game is that he played a pretty solid first half. That interception was understandible because Baltimore gave us a piece of our own medicine and dropped a DE into coverage. When Dixon read blitz he threw into what he thought would be an undefended space.

His numbers versus Atlanta on the other hand don't tell the other story either because we were lucky we got away with only 1 interception. He threw the ball poorly and we were lucky that the ATL defenders didn't come up with 2 or 3 picks.

DD completed 70% of his passes for about 250 yds against Atlanta. He threw 0 TDs and 1 int.

MCHammer
09-21-2010, 12:04 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010/09/br ... t-atlanta/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010/09/breakdown-of-the-8-dennis-dixon-misfires-against-atlanta/)

SidSmythe
09-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Dixon is a quality backup at best in this league.
I was for Batch all along, but his lack of reps was apparent Sunday

But when the ball comes out of his hand it has some authority. Dixon is hit or miss.

Oviedo
09-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Dixon is a quality backup at best in this league.
I was for Batch all along, but his lack of reps was apparent Sunday

But when the ball comes out of his hand it has some authority. Dixon is hit or miss.

I agree. Batch's throws seem to be on target for the most part where Dixon was high, low and everywhere in between.

RuthlessBurgher
09-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Can we not use the PUP anymore?

No. The Physically Unable to Perform list is for players who come into training camp already injured and not ready to participate with their teammates. If they are not able to practice, they can be placed on PUP. An example is Ed Reed, who is out until after week 6 because he is on PUP. Dixon has already practiced and played in games. He is not eligible for PUP.