PDA

View Full Version : prevent was the right call

JTP53609
09-20-2010, 01:53 PM
given the hot day and the situation we were in, playing prevent was the right call. We were rotating 2 lines in on defense, we played hard and there was 3 minutes and change with us being up by 16 points. Stats are nice and all but let them eat the clock which is what they kind of did and who cares if they score a touchdown, I would have put everything into our defense to stop the 2 pt coversion. But who would have thought they would recover another onside and score a td and get another 2 pt conversion. I usually hate the prevent, but i was not to upset with it yesterday, my heart was racing at the end though but they locked down and finished strong...

I hope that Dick Lebeau invents some kind of prevent defense that is safe but hard to beat also...

MCHammer
09-20-2010, 02:05 PM
I gotta disagree. This came up in another thread and I can appreciate the tired defense justification, but at the end of the day this game came too close to slipping away from us and that would likely not have happened without a switch to prevent.

Nate Washington holds onto that ball in the corner and we could be 1-1 right now.

msp26505
09-20-2010, 02:10 PM
I agree with the OP.

They were trying to get the Titans to burn clock and not give up the quick strike to allow for a second big drive.

It was closer than I would have liked, but the burning clock part worked exactly as intended. If it weren't for a perfectly executed (and beautifully designed) onsides kick, the Titans wouldn't have had a chance.

However, if they had pressed, Nate Washington could have gotten behind the D and scored in one play and the onsides kick may not have even been necessary because we couldn't move the ball on offense.

I generally don't like prevent, but in this case it seemed justified and worked as planned.

RuthlessBurgher
09-20-2010, 02:12 PM
I hope that bad word Lebeau invents some kind of prevent defense that is safe but hard to beat also...

That is pretty much his every down philosophy. Keep the play in front of you and tackle the ball carrier. Many people on her bemoan the 10 yard cushion, but that is the LeBeau defense in a nutshell...playing it safe while also being aggressive at the same time. You'll never see LeBeau exposing his secondary with a Buddy Ryan style all-out blitz.

steelsnis
09-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Keep the play in front of you and tackle the ball carrier.

How nice was it to have Timmons out there closing on Johnson to end the game? It's a great feeling to know we have a LB back there who more often than not won't get beat by RB (unlike some of our slower-FOOTED backers ;)

JTP53609
09-20-2010, 02:32 PM
I could care less about the pro bowl, but if the defense plays the way it is now all year long then I say we have 8 or 9 defenders on the pro bowl roster haha, not even kidding

skyhawk
09-20-2010, 02:48 PM
I could care less about the pro bowl, but if the defense plays the way it is now all year long then I say we have 8 or 9 defenders on the pro bowl roster haha, not even kidding

Won't happen. How many pro bowlers on the 2008 team that one of the best all time? :roll:

JTP53609
09-20-2010, 07:58 PM

Won't happen. How many pro bowlers on the 2008 team that one of the best all time? :roll:

well that was simply because we are the stillers and no body cares about what we do, the jets had what 11 pro bowlers last year, we had the same record as them but they obviously have had the better track record though

skyhawk
09-20-2010, 08:32 PM

well that was simply because we are the stillers and no body cares about what we do, the jets had what 11 pro bowlers last year, we had the same record as them but they obviously have had the better track record though

You're right. No one cares and no kudos. Meanwhile the Steelers win 2 Super Bowls in the last 5 years.

ikestops85
09-20-2010, 08:50 PM
While the prevent might have been the right call we got very lucky. McFadden interfered with Washington in the end zone on that play and I'm amazed it wasn't called. Clark is the one who made a great play knocking the ball out of Nate's hands.

I gotta give Fisher credit ... that was a well designed onside kick.

papillon
09-20-2010, 08:55 PM
The prevent where you just let them catch and then tackle sucks. The defense didn't give up a big play all day and throttled the titans offense without a problem. They started playing soft and while no one big play was given up, a lot of small "big plays" were given up. If your defense is throttling the other team all game long why would they all of a sudden not be able to do that to finish the game. Play the last 10 minutes the same way you played the first 50 minutes and end it.

Pappy

skyhawk
09-20-2010, 11:05 PM
While the prevent might have been the right call we got very lucky. McFadden interfered with Washington in the end zone on that play and I'm amazed it wasn't called. Clark is the one who made a great play knocking the ball out of Nate's hands.

I didn't think it was pass interference. Good solid pass defense IMO at that stage of the game. I mean, he was double covered!!

skyhawk
09-20-2010, 11:08 PM
I gotta disagree. This came up in another thread and I can appreciate the tired defense justification, but at the end of the day this game came too close to slipping away from us and that would likely not have happened without a switch to prevent.

Nate Washington holds onto that ball in the corner and we could be 1-1 right now.

Nate coulda shoulda woulda. It was great pass defense. Double coverage for that matter!

SteelAbility
09-20-2010, 11:29 PM
I thought the prevent sucked. All it did was give the Titans a chance and some confidence. You have to consider the psychological factor too in these decisions.

stlrz d
09-20-2010, 11:34 PM
It was the right way to play it out. No doubt.

ikestops85
09-20-2010, 11:42 PM

I didn't think it was pass interference. Good solid pass defense IMO at that stage of the game. I mean, he was double covered!!

Sorry but I have to disagree. McFadden never looked for the ball (a common trait amongst our DBs) and hit him early. It still looked like Washington was going to hang on to the ball (yeh, hard to believe with stone hands Nate) but Ryan Clark made a great play to strip him. Like I said, we were very lucky the flag wasn't thrown IMHO.

SteelHoss
09-21-2010, 06:01 PM

Sorry but I have to disagree. McFadden never looked for the ball (a common trait amongst our DBs) and hit him early. It still looked like Washington was going to hang on to the ball (yeh, hard to believe with stone hands Nate) but Ryan Clark made a great play to strip him. Like I said, we were very lucky the flag wasn't thrown IMHO.

:Agree Its hard for me to believe that you and I were the only ones to catch this.
I just watched it again on DVR. McFadden definitely was early and he had his back to the ball. Ryan Clark was the hero on this play! Nate also made Ike look silly! Ike and Bryant could have covered Washington better. I mean they practiced with man for what 3 or 4 years. IMO the soft coverage put the Steelers in the position to lose this game. These two plays in the closing minuets almost gave me heart failure!

proudpittsburgher
09-21-2010, 08:17 PM
I agree with the last two posts . . . is facegarding still a penalty or did they do away with that (serious question)