PDA

View Full Version : Roughing the Passer?

phillyesq
09-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Let me first say that the sack where VY was body-slammed by Harrison, Smith and Keisel was one of the most incredible sacks I ever remember watching live. You simply don't see sacks like this anymore:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/tennessee-titans/09000d5d81aaad6d/Steelers-defense-sack-11-yd-loss

With that said, did the Steelers get away with one? I was (very pleasantly) shocked that the Steelers didn't get a flag for roughing on this sack. Legal hit, or lucky non-call?

Oviedo
09-20-2010, 01:01 PM
I thought for sure it was going to be a flag. Maybe just too many player wrapped up on him for the ref to see what the cameras saw.

Crash
09-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Too bad. Look at the hits Ben takes and doesn't get flagged. Spears in the back, horse collars, players leading with their helmets, nothing called.

Iron Shiek
09-20-2010, 01:05 PM
The way I look at it was that none of the players tried to tackle him with any malice, it was just a bad circumstance of 3 guys trying to tackle the same person and that was the result.

However, if that happened to a Steeler QB, I'd likely be up in arms, so its tough to say.

phillyesq
09-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Too bad. Look at the hits Ben takes and doesn't get flagged. Spears in the back, horse collars, players leading with their helmets, nothing called.

Believe me - I'm not posting this because I have any sympathy for VY. I loved seeing him get annihilated.

Jigawatts
09-20-2010, 01:07 PM
I was sure that tackle would have resulted in a flag and at least a two game suspension for
Ben Roethlisberger. Awesome, awesome hit.

:tt1

ikestops85
09-20-2010, 01:09 PM
I don't know which one of the 3 you could throw the flag on. It wasn't like one guy picked him up and slammed him a la Turkey Jones on Bradshaw. It looked like the 3 of them hit him and it just sort of happened.

P.S. Not to change the topic but how much is Hines going to be fined for his part in that altercation at the beginning of the game? While I don't think he started hit he did grab the facemask and throw the guy down by it. I think his wallet will be lightened by about 10k.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-20-2010, 01:11 PM
We'll see if our big 3 get fined for the " Con-Vince-ing hit!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
09-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Since Young roughed up a guy after getting an upside down Longhorns symbol and wasn't penalized (even after there was indisputable video evidence available after the fact), how could you penalize our guys for roughing up a Longhorn by turning him upside down (even after there was indisputable video evidence available after the fact)? :P

MCHammer
09-20-2010, 01:41 PM
We got away with a couple potential unsportsmanlike on Harrison's post-play antics alone in that game. He has a bad habit of shoving people around after the play is over. On that one fumble he sat on top of a guy like he was riding a horse and proceeded to bend him back off the pile. And the dude wasn't really rummaging for the ball or anything.

I love Harrison's aggression, but he's going to cost us (and himself) in one of these games.

JTP53609
09-20-2010, 02:03 PM
that was so glorious to see, I am not a vince young fan because I dont like how he kind of quit on his team 2 years ago yet michael irvin says on the nfl network how great he is and how fisher rattled his confidence for taking him out, yet collins comes in and lights it up and comes within a fingertip of attempting a 2 point conversion for a tie.

Anyway, yea that was marvelous, they looked like they were giving him a swirly

proudpittsburgher
09-20-2010, 02:20 PM
that was so glorious to see, I am not a vince young fan because I dont like how he kind of quit on his team 2 years ago yet michael irvin says on the nfl network how great he is and how fisher rattled his confidence for taking him out, yet collins comes in and lights it up and comes within a fingertip of attempting a 2 point conversion for a tie.

Collins didn't light it up . . . he looked awful as well, but just took advantage of the steelers going into prevent.

JTP53609
09-20-2010, 02:34 PM

Collins didn't light it up . . . he looked awful as well, but just took advantage of the steelers going into prevent.

that is 100% accurate

Djfan
09-20-2010, 03:07 PM
I just watched it about 15 times and paused it even more. Here's my take:

Deebo had him at the waist and was leaning backwards to sack him. At that time A. Smith and Woodley show up at hit him high. That impact made the pull down by Harrison turn into a lever situation, so VY pivots at the waist - where Deebo had him. It looked like no one was trying to hurt the guy. Just a mix of tough football turning into a head plant. It might just do VY some good to have such an impact.

grotonsteel
09-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Anyone has a link to video where C Johnson was slammed by B-MAC ?

Johnson was woozy after the hit...got his bell rung for sure...enjoyed that hit.

Lonbull
09-20-2010, 04:06 PM
The way I look at it was that none of the players tried to tackle him with any malice, it was just a bad circumstance of 3 guys trying to tackle the same person and that was the result.

However, if that happened to a Steeler QB, I'd likely be up in arms, so its tough to say.

Iron Shiek - I feel the exact same way.

It doesn't look like a play intended for malice - however the "result" is just scary!

Maybe the refs were afraid to throw a flag after that sack.

L.B.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Clean hit. You had about 850 pounds of Steeler kicking his butt. His body was bound to go flying.

SteelTorch
09-20-2010, 04:31 PM
I couldn't believe we weren't flagged, either. Now I'm just wondering if we'll be fined. Don't forget we were fined in 2008 for hits that weren't even flagged.

My guess is the reason will be for "tackling in an intimidating manner." :lol:

grotonsteel
09-20-2010, 05:07 PM
I couldn't believe we weren't flagged, either. Now I'm just wondering if we'll be fined. Don't forget we were fined in 2008 for hits that weren't even flagged.

Its about time NFL let the players play the game...too many rules...especially that stupid Brady rule..

Discipline of Steel
09-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Thats awesome, I love it. Of course its no penalty. Even the refs didnt call it. :wink:

SteelAbility
09-20-2010, 06:34 PM
I just watched it about 15 times and paused it even more. Here's my take:

Deebo had him at the waist and was leaning backwards to sack him. At that time A. Smith and Woodley show up at hit him high. That impact made the pull down by Harrison turn into a lever situation, so VY pivots at the waist - where Deebo had him. It looked like no one was trying to hurt the guy. Just a mix of tough football turning into a head plant. It might just do VY some good to have such an impact.

Just the way D!ck Lebeau drew it up! :mrgreen:

NJ-STEELER
09-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Since Young roughed up a guy after getting an upside down Longhorns symbol and wasn't penalized (even after there was indisputable video evidence available after the fact), how could you penalize our guys for roughing up a Longhorn by turning him upside down (even after there was indisputable video evidence available after the fact)? :P

smith and keisel will get fined

they're white :stirpot

jj28west
09-21-2010, 05:38 AM

Its about time NFL let the players play the game...too many rules...especially that stupid Brady rule..

Speaking of Brady there was a sack last year by the Ravens where he appealed for a flag and got it or at least that is how it looked.

DukieBoy
09-21-2010, 06:35 AM
I don't know which one of the 3 you could throw the flag on. It wasn't like one guy picked him up and slammed him a la Turkey Jones on Bradshaw. It looked like the 3 of them hit him and it just sort of happened.

P.S. Not to change the topic but how much is Hines going to be fined for his part in that altercation at the beginning of the game? While I don't think he started hit he did grab the facemask and throw the guy down by it. I think his wallet will be lightened by about 10k.
First thing that came to mind when I saw them take down VY was the Hanson Brothers in the movie "Slapshot".

stlrz d
09-21-2010, 07:48 AM

Speaking of Brady there was a sack last year by the Ravens where he appealed for a flag and got it or at least that is how it looked.

It usually does look that way because players are always calling for a flag as the ref is reaching for the flag.

Soccer players fall down as if they've been shot. NFL players do the flag throwing motion.

Potato, potahto.

grotonsteel
09-21-2010, 10:19 AM

Yup true....I think Brady should be playing in Flag Football League...and not NFL

grotonsteel
09-21-2010, 10:20 AM

It usually does look that way because players are always calling for a flag as the ref is reaching for the flag.

Soccer players fall down as if they've been shot. NFL players do the flag throwing motion.

Potato, potahto.

Soccer players should be given Oscar for their acting IMO

RuthlessBurgher
09-21-2010, 12:32 PM

smith and keisel will get suspended for 4-6 games.

they're white :stirpot

Fixed that for you. :stirpot :lol:

cruzer8
09-21-2010, 01:44 PM

Yup true....I think Brady should be playing in Flag Football League...and not NFL

I saw that game. The official was behind Brady and pulling out the flag even before Brady started calling for it.

hawaiiansteel
09-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Let me first say that the sack where VY was body-slammed by Harrison, Smith and Keisel was one of the most incredible sacks I ever remember watching live. You simply don't see sacks like this anymore:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/tennessee-titans/09000d5d81aaad6d/Steelers-defense-sack-11-yd-loss

With that said, did the Steelers get away with one? I was (very pleasantly) shocked that the Steelers didn't get a flag for roughing on this sack. Legal hit, or lucky non-call?

http://www.pittsburghsportstavern.com/images/VinceYoungTerribleTowel.jpg

Discipline of Steel
09-21-2010, 05:05 PM
Awesome picture! We flat out punished the Titans in their own stadium. James Harrison is ridiculous. Im so proud.........