PDA

View Full Version : No sack for Troy yesterday?

Steelskin
09-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Here's the link to yesterday's box score per NFL.com http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010091904/2010/REG2/steelers@titans/analyze/box-score

Any idea why they didn't credit Troy with a sack on that play he jumped over the line and dropped Collins for a loss?

Clearly, it was a TFL, but I'm under the impression that a quarterback sack is defined as any tackle (or strip) of the quarterback at or behind the line of scrimmage.

Am I wrong?

I thought it was a heck of a play and I think Troy got gypped. :wft

Iron Shiek
09-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Yeah good point!? I would assume the thinking is because it was a clear qb sneak, but I never knew there was a distinction for sacks on qb sneaks.

aggiebones
09-20-2010, 12:19 PM
There are tackles for loss and there are sacks.
I don't think at any point he made a move like it was a pass play, so it should just be a tackle for a loss.
If he didn't even get the TfL, then maybe Collins fell forward for no gain or something. I can't remember how the play ended exactly other than Troy sitting on Collins.

focosteeler
09-20-2010, 12:36 PM
from what i understand if the qb makes any attemp to pass then it is a sack...since collins didnt it just goes as a tfl, which sucks... but it was still a BAD A$$ TFL :tt2

RuthlessBurgher
09-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Shouldn't Troy have 2 sacks? He also is the one that hit Collins after the shotgun snap that went between his legs...

SteelCrazy
09-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Rules:

To be considered a sack the quarterback must intend to throw a forward pass. If the play is designed for the quarterback to rush the ball, any loss is subtracted from the quarterback's rushing total. If the quarterback's intent is not obvious statisticians use certain criteria, such as the offensive line blocking scheme, to decide. Other unique situations where a loss reduces a quarterback's rushing total (not a sack) are "kneel downs" (used to run time off the game clock), and aborted plays, such as a fumbled snap that the quarterback falls on to maintain possession.

A player will receive credit for half of a sack when multiple players contribute to the sacking of a quarterback.

Stewie
09-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Sack. TFL. Who cares? The look on Collins' face (Who was that masked man?) is precious no matter how they scored it.

Watch him look around.

http://twitpic.com/2q3xqe

ikestops85
09-20-2010, 12:57 PM
That play just shows why Troy is the most dynamic defensive player in the league today. Un-freakin believable!! I don't think the announcers even knew what to say.

:tt2 :tt2