PDA

View Full Version : Hope for the offense

steeler_george
09-20-2010, 11:07 AM
How depressing is to sit through games watching this offense?

It is killing me too. They desperately need to show some life. We just can't wait and think with Ben's return we will make our run. After yesterdays victory, Tomlin made me a believer. I don't want to be just satisfied, going 3-1 or 2-2 till Ben returns. I want to go 4-0 and take a demanding lead in the AFCN.

They key in giving life to the offense right now is getting healthier. With the return of Starks, Essex, and Byron will the O will definitely improve, but how much remains to be seen.

I think with Byron back, we will have a game manager and a play maker. Defenses will still have 8 or 9 in the box, but being a vet I think he has the maturity to beat teams that give him the window to throw. As for return of our starting T and G I think familiarity of playing as unit will deliver more holes for the running game and hopefully adequate time for Lefty.

Another key is we are leaving too many plays on the field and they all have to with mental aspects of the game not the physical. Too many dropped catch-able balls, offensive line penalties, missed blocks, and plain stupid mental mistakes. Take for example, when the 30 sec clock expired on that pitch to Mendy it looked like it was going to be a big gain.

Secondly, I think that more trick plays should be installed to keep the opposing Defense on their toes, such as reverses, WR screens, flea flickers, ala super bowl throw from ARE to Ward. Need plays to spread the D out to help open opportunities for Mendy and the WR.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-20-2010, 11:45 AM
How depressing is to sit through games watching this offense?

It is killing me too. They desperately need to show some life. We just can't wait and think with Ben's return we will make our run. After yesterdays victory, Tomlin made me a believer. I don't want to be just satisfied, going 3-1 or 2-2 till Ben returns. I want to go 4-0 and take a demanding lead in the AFCN.

They key in giving life to the offense right now is getting healthier. With the return of Starks, Essex, and Byron will the O will definitely improve, but how much remains to be seen.

I think with Byron back, we will have a game manager and a play maker. Defenses will still have 8 or 9 in the box, but being a vet I think he has the maturity to beat teams that give him the window to throw. As for return of our starting T and G I think familiarity of playing as unit will deliver more holes for the running game and hopefully adequate time for Lefty.

Another key is we are leaving too many plays on the field and they all have to with mental aspects of the game not the physical. Too many dropped catch-able balls, offensive line penalties, missed blocks, and plain stupid mental mistakes. Take for example, when the 30 sec clock expired on that pitch to Mendy it looked like it was going to be a big gain.

Secondly, I think that more trick plays should be installed to keep the opposing Defense on their toes, such as reverses, WR screens, flea flickers, ala super bowl throw from ARE to Ward. Need plays to spread the D out to help open opportunities for Mendy and the WR.
It is frustrating. Should only be short term. Trick plays will be very hard to run. The defenses have no reason to play on their heels. Defenses are playing 8 & 9 in the box and run blitzing. There will be no time for 3 seconds of misdirection. It is what it is with Dixon & Batch. Trust in one thing...It is only temporary.

Notleadpoisoned
09-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Installing a triple-option attack with Randel El at QB is our only hope at this point.

Crash
09-20-2010, 12:01 PM
With Ben's suspension Arians is giving Stiller Nation what they wanted: Run the ball!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-20-2010, 12:08 PM
I think the Steelers will shy away from multiple exchanges in the backfield at this point. Very difficult to do against run blitzes & +2 fronts. The Steelers might be better served to concede to their intensions on the field. They might be better served by having Johnson & Redman in some alignment in front of Mendy. One TE & one WR. The threat of Redman between the tackles could give them the step they need to get to the corner. Having Dixon under center adds another dimension. If they want to walk up 9, I'll take Ward or Wallace one-on-one and Miller being trail covered off playaction. Dixon would be more comfortable with 2 downfield reads and a dump off. Crowds inside the hashes shallow but gives the WR, TE, & Dixon more room to work with outside & deep middle. Also gives Dixon the outlet of getting rid of the ball if nobody is open without taking the penalty. There are many "little things" to consider in those packages and could be very helpful to a young QB in Dixon's situation.

Oviedo
09-20-2010, 12:25 PM
With Ben's suspension Arians is giving Stiller Nation what they wanted: Run the ball!

And the complaints still continue.

SteelCrazy
09-20-2010, 12:27 PM

If he was to give what Stiller Nation wants, he would quit.

Crash
09-20-2010, 12:34 PM

Just like Tim Benz said last night, Ben threw for 503 yards, scored 37 points against a top 10 defense, and people were complaining after the game.

Most Steelers fans are loyal, and passionate.

But they are dumb as a stump.

Notleadpoisoned
09-20-2010, 02:20 PM

Just like Tim Benz said last night, Ben threw for 503 yards, scored 37 points against a top 10 defense, and people were complaining after the game.

I wouldn't say dumb. Fickle or temperamental yes, but definitely not dumb

Crash
09-20-2010, 02:35 PM
Some other caller on post game last night: "It should be Batch and besides he has twice the character Roethlisberger has, and who should have been on the same bus out of town with Holmes"

I guess he never heard about Charlie and Las Vegas. :Blah

Djfan
09-20-2010, 03:00 PM

Very well said. I agree.

feltdizz
09-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Why is it so important for our O to march up and down the field?

feltdizz
09-20-2010, 03:11 PM

Nothing wrong with complaining after a win but when you have the 2nd 3rd and 4th OL subs and 3rd string QB in the game it's not the time to question the O.

Djfan
09-20-2010, 03:12 PM

That's how they score? Control the clock? Give the defense a rest? Break the spirits of the opponents? Dominate on every level? Be greater than they were last week?

Pick anyone of these you want.

feltdizz
09-20-2010, 03:28 PM

That's how they score? Control the clock? Give the defense a rest? Break the spirits of the opponents? Dominate on every level? Be greater than they were last week?

When Ben returns...

until then I'm enjoying enjoying 2-0.

Oviedo
09-20-2010, 03:45 PM

Not dumb. Unrealistic is the best term IMO. They fallow the team passionately but do not understand or appreciate the philosophy of how we get and develop players over time versus expecting immediate contributions from young players.

You don't expect a kid out of college to head a national sales force at Microsoft but we have some fans who expect kids right out of college to be impact players and starters on one of the best teams in the NFL. Just not logical thoiught. Rookies start and play for bad teams not the best ones.

Djfan
09-20-2010, 03:52 PM

When Ben returns...

Fair enough. If it doens't change we'll revisit. IF it does, good enough.

SteelTorch
09-20-2010, 04:00 PM

When Ben returns...

If you're saying it will it get better with Ben back, of course it will. Will it get up to acceptable levels? Probably not. Hope I'm wrong.

Slapstick
09-20-2010, 04:03 PM
If you're saying it will it get better with Ben back, of course it will. Will it get up to acceptable levels? Probably not. Hope I'm wrong.

If acceptable levels means another SB ring, then I'm good with that...

feltdizz
09-20-2010, 04:05 PM

When Ben returns...

you are wrong.... then again, last year wasn't acceptable from a redzone/win loss standpoint but.... if the D played anywhere close to what we saw this year best believe we would have been 12-4 easily if not 14-2.

I have no idea what acceptable levels are though... is it winning? Scoring 40+? never kicking FG's?

When you look at our O as a whole last year we were not that bad. I saw a stat where it said we had the most 20+ yard plays from scrimmage last year (77)

Now with Pouncey at C and Redman in short yardage this year I can't see how anyone can feel bad about our O. Imagine the Colts without Manning for 4 games... do you think anyone would give a flip about how they won the first 4 without him?

Same deal with Ben. This offense is his to run... and he does it very well. It makes zero sense to be so pessimistic right now about our O. Maybe you are a half empty type of guy... but dude. Now is not the time to worry about the O.

SteelTorch
09-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Maybe you are a half empty type of guy... but dude. Now is not the time to worry about the O.
Maybe I am. But our offense has yet to score a td in regulation, and we could only manage 12 points off of turnovers. Even with our injuries, that's pretty sad. I have plenty of reason to worry about the O.

Flasteel
09-20-2010, 05:35 PM

I'm not trying to say there aren't retarded-ass Steelers fans, nor am I trying to say that any of you guys would fall into that category. However, for those who really believe that the criticism directed towards Arians is nothing more than a product of the ignorant or fickle fan, then you simply don't know dick about football.

There's a legitimate beef to be had with his philosophies (which is primarily a subjecive argument), play-calling, in-game adjustments, and/or tendency to not deviate from his comfort zone. Sometimes the criticism is spot on, sometimes I think people guess when they are looking for an easy scapegoat, and sometimes fans wrongly attack BA. I stated in several threads this week that we needed to go light on BA due to the game situation and issues at QB. I still think he's a below average OC though.

Just because we have a 4,000 yard passer, a 1,000 yard rusher, or any other fat stat you want to roll out, doesn't mean BA was an effective OC. If you think it does, then you identified yourself as a football simpleton...no offense, just an FYI to chew on. Continually falling back on those nice individual stats, reciting the mantra of "execution", and using the point that he has not been fired are all lame defenses of BA.

Some of the more specific criticisms I have of arians are his failure to adjust to pressure on Ben (since 2007); his inability to consistently attack defenses horizontally and vertically across all points; he rarely attacks what is widely believed to be defensive weaknesses; he is by nearly everyone's account, a predictable play-caller, who rarely flashes a new wrinkle; and I don't believe he maximizes the skill set of his players, with the style or play selection he uses.

I'm not ignorant, fickle, or out to hate. I just call it like I see it.

stlrz d
09-20-2010, 11:00 PM
I just kept waiting for him to throw on a 1st down for once...or even on a 2nd and short.

I'm not expecting any miracles on O while Ben is out, but what we've seen so far is the product of a mind that skipped right past fertile and proceeded directly to menopause.

Arians is not a good OC. Not in this universe or in any universe.

Crash
09-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Only in Pittsburgh can you have two 1000 yard receivers, an 1100 yard rusher, a 4300 yard passer, be #3 in time of possession and the defense gets a free pass when they blow five 4th quarter leads.

Arians has one problem, why on Earth does he play Matt Spaeth as much as he does?

That's the #1 problem on offense.

SteelAbility
09-20-2010, 11:53 PM
When Ben gets back the O will rise again to acceptable levels. Ben's presence will force Ds to respect the passing game which will open things up for the running game. Back-n-forth. The difficult issues will be RZ O and situational play-calling.

stlrz d
09-21-2010, 12:13 AM
Only in Pittsburgh can you have two 1000 yard receivers, an 1100 yard rusher, a 4300 yard passer, be #3 in time of possession and the defense gets a free pass when they blow five 4th quarter leads.

Arians has one problem, why on Earth does he play Matt Spaeth as much as he does?

That's the #1 problem on offense.

What did those individual stats get us?

I'm sure some of the players got tickets to playoff games, the SB, parties, etc...but what did it get *us*?

Absolutely nothing.

Crash
09-21-2010, 12:17 AM
What did those individual stats get us?

Watching the defense play prevent defense in the 4th and blowing leads.

Pass happy Ben isn't playing now, and the same crap is happening.

So now what?

Captain Lemming
09-21-2010, 01:32 AM

The theory was that running the ball more helps the defense. We are 2-0 and the defense is dominant. Just sayin. :mrgreen:

Crash
09-21-2010, 01:36 AM
The theory was that running the ball more helps the defense. We are 2-0 and the defense is dominant

But in the 4th whats happening?

The same exact thing that happened last season.

Captain Lemming
09-21-2010, 01:48 AM
The theory was that running the ball more helps the defense. We are 2-0 and the defense is dominant

But in the 4th whats happening?

The same exact thing that happened last season.

"Multiple" TDs? Thats what happened last year.

Crash
09-21-2010, 01:54 AM

Against the Raiders yes.

Not against the Ravens.

Not against the Packers.

Not against the Chiefs.

We score in the 4th, we give points right back.

And in two games without evil pass happy Ben? They've done it two times in two weeks.

stlrz d
09-21-2010, 07:43 AM
I'll be happy when Ben is back running the no huddle...take the game out of Arians' hands.

SteelAbility
09-21-2010, 09:59 AM

Against the Raiders yes.

Not against the Ravens.

Not against the Packers.

Not against the Chiefs.

And in two games without evil pass happy Ben? They've done it two times in two weeks.

In the Titans game, we gave up a TD due to prevent-D with a two-long-score lead (long = TD + 2pt. conversion). Last year we didn't play prevent and we had one score leads. Apples/Oranges.

We also gave up no TDs to the Falcons. Last year were were routinely giving up TDs in the 4thQ. We give up one in garbage time and the "same thing as last year is happening?"

Furthermore, I'll give the D a bit of a pass on this 4thQ TD. The O showed no ability to move the chains and keep them off the field. Last year we could at least move the ball at will between the 20s and keep the D off the field for a while. This D got no rest in 90+ degree heat.

Captain Lemming
09-21-2010, 10:22 AM

Against the Raiders yes.

Not against the Ravens.

Not against the Packers.

Not against the Chiefs.

Dang Crash, rarely do I see you miss on numbers. I am kinda surprised.
Actually, the Packers scored 22 fourth quarter points 3 TDs and a two point conversion.

The Packers and Raider both scored 3 4th quarter TDs, more in that one quarter than Pittsburgh has allowed this entire season.

Crash
09-21-2010, 12:25 PM
See? Even the greatest miss one.

:nono