PDA

View Full Version : When Byron is re-signed..

Chadman
09-20-2010, 01:26 AM
If he is fit- do the Steelers start him?

Dixon was ineffective & got hurt- is it Leftwich time?

Wouldn't it be great motivation for Byron against the Bucs?

With no threat of a passing game, the running game was somewhat ineffective- can the defense be leaned on every week? Shouldn't the offense produce more than 40 yards through the air?

If he's fit, here's betting Byron is the Steelers QB in week 3.

Djfan
09-20-2010, 01:30 AM
Agreed.

birtikidis
09-20-2010, 01:31 AM
I'd start him if Dixon isn't able to go. I like DD, and think that he can win football games for us. But you're absolutely right, without a threat of pass, our run game isn't going anywhere.

Chadman
09-20-2010, 01:36 AM
If nothing else, Dixon has proven he isn't ready to be a starter.

In fact, his efforts so far might in fact be hindering any trade value the Steelers might have for him down the track at this point- who wants a QB that can't throw a pass?

Chadman sees the QB position like this- Ben is obviously the long-term option. Batch has been a very good #2 for a few years, but his time has passed him by. Leftwich should fill that role admirably- occasionally brought in to help if Ben gets hammered (or is that WHEN Ben gets hammered?). Chadman sees Leftwich as a 5-6 year Steeler- much like Batch.

So where does this put Dixon?

Chadman would shop him next off-season & hope that nobody saw Pittsburgh vs Tennessee....

Djfan
09-20-2010, 01:38 AM
I would shop him too. Let's pick up some more O line and give Ben a longer future.

birtikidis
09-20-2010, 01:41 AM
Well, here's my thoughts. let dixon play this week. it's a very beatable tampa team. let byron come back as close to 100% as we can get him and let him play against the Ravens. I'd hate for lefty to get re aggravated against a non divisional team that isn't very good. we have to go up against baltimore with our best players as healthy as they can be. and hey, if we can't trade him, let him be the long term back up. he won't be able to command much on the open market, and no one is gonna give him a shot to start anyway, so, he's better off just sticking around.

D Rock
09-20-2010, 01:44 AM
there's no threat of a pass because the o-line wasn't holding up long enough to get more than a 3 step drop and throw it 6 yards downfield.

I don't care who is back there passing...pressure from the Titans took away the passing game today.

Dixon can wing it just as well as Byron if BA opens up the playbook and let's him, and if there is enough time to actually let routes develop.

Dixon may make some worse decisions, but I doubt Byron will light it up like some people seem to think he will if he's given the reigns.

Chadman
09-20-2010, 01:45 AM
Well, here's my thoughts. let dixon play this week. it's a very beatable tampa team. let byron come back as close to 100% as we can get him and let him play against the Ravens. I'd hate for lefty to get re aggravated against a non divisional team that isn't very good. we have to go up against baltimore with our best players as healthy as they can be. and hey, if we can't trade him, let him be the long term back up. he won't be able to command much on the open market, and no one is gonna give him a shot to start anyway, so, he's better off just sticking around.

With or without Leftwich, the Ravens will be the toughest non-Ben opponant the Steelers face. Losing to the Ravens is, in Chadman's view- the most likely option.

Make a bird of it- play Lefty against the weaker Bucs & go 3-1 before the return of the saviour. Why risk running Dixon into a weak opponant, not getting any O, and keeping the Bucs in the game? Only to then pin Lefty & his Titanic style turning circle against the nasty Ravens D?

Make sure we beat the Bucs, then 'do your best' against Baltimore- take what you can get, Chadman says..

hawaiiansteel
09-20-2010, 02:47 AM
if Leftwich is healthy enough to play this Sunday, he will start...

SteelBucks
09-20-2010, 07:51 AM
I'd start him if Dixon isn't able to go.

I'd start him even if Dixon is able to go. With Dixon and Batch, they had 43 yards passing yesterday. I know the OL is banged up but 43 yards is pathetic. Maybe Leftwich can provide some sort of spark until Ben gets back.

Oviedo
09-20-2010, 07:56 AM
there's no threat of a pass because the o-line wasn't holding up long enough to get more than a 3 step drop and throw it 6 yards downfield.

I don't care who is back there passing...pressure from the Titans took away the passing game today.

Dixon can wing it just as well as Byron if BA opens up the playbook and let's him, and if there is enough time to actually let routes develop.

Dixon may make some worse decisions, but I doubt Byron will light it up like some people seem to think he will if he's given the reigns.

The OL didn't hold up because the Titans had no fear of the pass so they brought a minimum 5 or 6 rushers on the majority of the plays.

No OL in the league would hold up against that.

Leftwich won't light it up and throw for 300+ yards but he will make a defense respect his ability to read the defense and make an adjustment to hit quick passes and force them to back LBs and Safeties out of the box.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-20-2010, 09:05 AM
BL will start if he is able next week because DD has started in his absence and has not done anything to secure the spot away from Lefty.

The coaching staff obviously has more confidence in him and feels that he gives us our best chance of winning a football game - whether against the Bucs or the Ravens.

As for the idea that we should beat Tampa so that we can go 3-1 while Ben is out, why are we giving Baltimore an automatic win? They put 10 points up on a good Jets D, they put 10 more up on a good Bengals D......but they have yet to face the Steelers D. If we can hold them off at home then we have a chance. Not saying that it will be easy, but I am not willing to hand a W to the Ravens at Heinz Field without showing up.

steelblood
09-20-2010, 09:18 AM
If nothing else, Dixon has proven he isn't ready to be a starter.

In fact, his efforts so far might in fact be hindering any trade value the Steelers might have for him down the track at this point- who wants a QB that can't throw a pass?

Chadman sees the QB position like this- Ben is obviously the long-term option. Batch has been a very good #2 for a few years, but his time has passed him by. Leftwich should fill that role admirably- occasionally brought in to help if Ben gets hammered (or is that WHEN Ben gets hammered?). Chadman sees Leftwich as a 5-6 year Steeler- much like Batch.

So where does this put Dixon?

Chadman would shop him next off-season & hope that nobody saw Pittsburgh vs Tennessee....

I won't say that DD is good yet, but he has shown some good things. Other than the fumble (held the ball too long), he played ok yesterday. Even on the fumble play, before the snap, Dixon saw where the blitz was coming from, pointed and tried to roll blitz pickup that way. Later, he lead our best drive of the day. He also played pretty well against the Falcons after the first quarter. The Falcons D shut down the Cards passing game yesterday. If he is healthy, I'd start him again as I think defenses must drive themselves crazy preparing for him. I'd also consider platooning him with Batch (who threw the ball well only to have many passes dropped) or Lefty (if healthy).

I don't love any of our options right now.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-20-2010, 09:26 AM
If he could practice full all week, I say yes. More important is they need him for the Ravens. So if there is any questions of it being to early, you go with a healthy Dixon or Batch.

Slapstick
09-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Yesterday, unfortunately, the WRs and Miller made Dennis Dixon (and Charlie Batch) look worse than the QB stats indicate...

There were several dropped passes of very catchable balls that could have continued drives...Moore got tackled in the open field by one guy only one yard shy of a 1st down...

The receivers did not help the cause yesterday...

aggiebones
09-20-2010, 12:24 PM
At this point, none of the 3 has shown to be anything greater than the other 2. Batch did some good things, while they were clearly protecting him since he was the last QB on the roster still standing.

I'd go Batch, then whoever is healthier between Dixon/ Lefty. Batch can handle the game.

Funny seeing Batch and Collins finish the game. Like something out of 2001.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-20-2010, 12:34 PM
[quote="Chadman"]If nothing else, Dixon has proven he isn't ready to be a starter.

quote]

Which, at this point, he shouldn't even be on the roster if that is the case. Would rather have a real NFL backup QB instead of a project. I said this in another thread but I would be willing to bet a Jeff Garcia or even Joey Harrington would at least run our real offense instead of some dumb downed generic version of it.

papillon
09-20-2010, 12:50 PM
At this point the Steelers need the quarterback to manage the game and not put the defense having to defend a short field, they have been nothing less than impenetrable. I would go with the healthiest veteran to manage the game and limit mistakes and using an offense that puts the quarterback in manageable situations on third down. I would go with Leftwich in this scenario.

The fact that the Steelers are 2-0 and with a good chance to extend it to 3-0 without Ben will also be a deciding factor. The Steelers are plus 2, play the guy that gives you the best chance not to lose the game to a team that is very beatable. 3-0 going into the Ravens game would be absolutely stunning to me. I believed the Steelers would be 1-3 after 4 games, I'm glad I'm wrong.

Pappy