PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Lolley

SteelHoss
09-19-2010, 11:09 PM
NFL from the sidelines
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com ... ughts.html (http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2010/09/post-tennessee-thoughts.html)
Sunday, September 19, 2010
Post-Tennessee thoughts
Wow. In previous years, it was the Tennessee Titans who delivered the butt kickings to the Steelers in Nashville.

But it was the Steelers, both offensively and defensively, who were the aggressors in this one.

The video board at LP Field continually showed pro wrestler Ric Flair imploring the crowd to get loud, finished with his trademark, "Woo."

That was ironic since the Titans looked like they were in a studio wrestling match against and MMA fighter. The Steelers kept punching them in the mouth and hitting them over the head with chairs throughout this game, while the Titans landed the fake blows.

That may be a little harsh. Actually, Tennessee's defense was as physical as ever.

But the Titans' offense got manhandled.

I've never seen anything like the offensive line rotation the Steelers used in the second half.

Guys were coming and going - other than Maurkice Pouncey - and playing different positions.

The Steelers won a game in which they threw for 21 yards. Think about that for a moment.

I know there are those of you out there who are angry with me for picking against the Steelers in each of the first two weeks.

Mike Tomlin is obviously paying attention to those who doubt this team.

But let's be honest. Quarterback is a pretty important position and the Steelers are playing with, essentially, their third choice at the position.

But Tomlin knows the Steelers will be favored to win next week in Tampa Bay. He could be heard in the locker room as the team entered telling them that they'll have to get it up again next week to face an unbeaten team.

Tomlin's looking for any edge he can get.

Lawrence Timmons should be the early favorite for Defensive Player of the Year. That's two games and 26 tackles. He's also played a huge part in shutting down both Michael Turner and Milli Vanilli wannabe Chris Johnson.

By the same token, if James Harrison doesn't win AFC Defensive Player of the Week honors after making 11 tackles, two sacks, forcing two fumbles and recovering another, they should stop giving the award.

Harrison totally took the game over in the third quarter. Tennessee had one yard in the third quarter, with Harrison making five tackles, two sacks and forcing two fumbles - in 12 plays.
posted by Dale Lolley at 9:29 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Discipline of Steel
09-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Harrison totally took the game over in the third quarter. Tennessee had one yard in the third quarter, with Harrison making five tackles, two sacks and forcing two fumbles - in 12 plays.

I love it!!!

Oviedo
09-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Lawrence Timmons should be the early favorite for Defensive Player of the Year. That's two games and 26 tackles. He's also played a huge part in shutting down both Michael Turner and Milli Vanilli wannabe Chris Johnson.

Still any doubters????? It's not what you do early in your career that pacifies impatient fans, its what you do for your entire career.

Timmons is a freak of nature.

stlrz d
09-20-2010, 07:58 AM

Still any doubters????? It's not what you do early in your career that pacifies impatient fans, its what you do for your entire career.

Too bad the media is pimping Clay Matthews for it already. Two in a row 3 sack games is pretty impressive though.

So it'll be all about consistency. If Timmons can keep it up he should be a lock.

phillyesq
09-20-2010, 12:04 PM

Careful - if you keep patting yourself on the back, you're going to end up with an arm injury.

Timmons is playing very well - I'm very happy, but I'll also say that it's about time.

Interestingly, Timmons is succeeding in the very scheme that you constantly criticize. I also find it interesting that you declined to comment on the play of James Harrison, even though you've spend much of the few months voicing your concern over him.

Do you really need to call out other posters who were dissatisfied with what Timmons did his first three years in the league to enjoy his success now?

Oviedo
09-20-2010, 12:22 PM

Careful - if you keep patting yourself on the back, you're going to end up with an arm injury.

Timmons is playing very well - I'm very happy, but I'll also say that it's about time.

Interestingly, Timmons is succeeding in the very scheme that you constantly criticize. I also find it interesting that you declined to comment on the play of James Harrison, even though you've spend much of the few months voicing your concern over him.

Do you really need to call out other posters who were dissatisfied with what Timmons did his first three years in the league to enjoy his success now?

I'm patting Timmons on the back. He is the player

You keep bringing it up, but no poster has specifically ever been called out by me unless they choose to out themselves. If anything poster keep mentioning my name as they backpeddle on previous proclamations and opinions.

As far as scheme, I have always advocated considering a 4-3, just considering, for one reason and one reson alone. It is easier to restock with talent because players don't have to transition positions. That has always been my primary point in that discussion. Just perhaps consider how your complaint of not enough soon enough might not have been an issue if some of these players stepped into their natural college positions versus learning new ones.

Right now the defense is on fire and that is great and I want it continue but the restocking of talent and the education in the scheme does take time. I never complain about players being given the time to learn the scheme we have chosen to employ. As you well know enough other posters do enough of that.

SteelCrazy
09-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Too bad the media is pimping Clay Matthews for it already. Two in a row 3 sack games is pretty impressive though.

You're crazy! Why would the media be pimping a 2nd generation NFL Linebacker that is white?

phillyesq
09-20-2010, 12:45 PM

You keep bringing it up, but no poster has specifically ever been called out by me unless they choose to out themselves. If anything poster keep mentioning my name as they backpeddle on previous proclamations and opinions.

As far as scheme, I have always advocated considering a 4-3, just considering, for one reason and one reson alone. It is easier to restock with talent because players don't have to transition positions. That has always been my primary point in that discussion. Just perhaps consider how your complaint of not enough soon enough might not have been an issue if some of these players stepped into their natural college positions versus learning new ones.

Right now the defense is on fire and that is great and I want it continue but the restocking of talent and the education in the scheme does take time. I never complain about players being given the time to learn the scheme we have chosen to employ. As you well know enough other posters do enough of that.

Whether you call out posters individually or by class, it's irritating. Yes, you were right! You were right! Ok, can we move on now?

As for your argument of moving to the 4-3, Woodley seemed to make the transition quickly, no problem. And converting from DE to LB is more of a conversion than moving from one LB position to another. I'm not going to rehash the rest of the argument because it has been debated to death.

You have been quite critical of DL. I remember complaints about his scheme, absurd complaints about a pass rush that was second in the league in sacks last year, etc. Where are your compliments for him now? And where is the mea culpa on Harrison? We heard from you, time after time, about his numbers at the end of last season. He was an absolute monster yesterday, but I see you had no comments on that, only on Timmons.

We all make a lot of right calls, and a lot of wrong calls. The constant "I told you so" or "still any doubters" type posts get really old.

Oviedo
09-20-2010, 12:58 PM

Whether you call out posters individually or by class, it's irritating. Yes, you were right! You were right! Ok, can we move on now?

As for your argument of moving to the 4-3, Woodley seemed to make the transition quickly, no problem. And converting from DE to LB is more of a conversion than moving from one LB position to another. I'm not going to rehash the rest of the argument because it has been debated to death.

You have been quite critical of DL. I remember complaints about his scheme, absurd complaints about a pass rush that was second in the league in sacks last year, etc. Where are your compliments for him now? And where is the mea culpa on Harrison? We heard from you, time after time, about his numbers at the end of last season. He was an absolute monster yesterday, but I see you had no comments on that, only on Timmons.

We all make a lot of right calls, and a lot of wrong calls. The constant "I told you so" or "still any doubters" type posts get really old.

Let's make a deal. No more "I told you so" from me and no more "hasn't lived up to his draft position" from you on any player. I can accept that. Agreed!!!!!

And in other posts I have praised the play of the defense. LeBeau is doing a great job and Harrison is playing well.

phillyesq
09-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Let's make a deal. No more "I told you so" from me and no more "hasn't lived up to his draft position" from you on any player. I can accept that. Agreed!!!!!

Agreed! Now, lets spend the rest of the week reflecting on and enjoying an absolutely amazing defensive performance. :Cheers

ikestops85
09-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Let's see if Harrison can keep up this type of play the 2nd half of the season. I mean he is over the hill, right? :stirpot

Snatch98
09-20-2010, 03:39 PM

About time? Timmons did plenty last season banged up. He's now getting the full time start, healthy and has 26 tackles. It's not about time for Timmons. It's about time he got his due from the fan base.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-21-2010, 12:10 PM

You're crazy! Why would the media be pimping a 2nd generation NFL Linebacker that is white?

I would not say that the media is pimping him, I would say that he is earning praise with his play.

Media pimping is what happened in the pre season when teams like Dallas and Baltimore were handed the SB trophy.