PDA

View Full Version : My Post Game Thoughts

Shawn
09-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Lets start with the D.

This might be the best Steeler D I have ever had privilage to watch. Only time will tell but this D looks to be very special.

Timmons is finally starting to play up to his original billing. He actually looked like a leader from both a play and attitude standpoint. His physical play was impressive.

Hampton is not a crucial component to this D. Hoke stepped in nicely and we didn't miss a beat. To hold down Johnson is a feat.

Mixed feelings on McFadden's play. He played pretty well most of the game. But, he dodged a PI in the endzone. I have no idea how that wasn't called.

Offense

There wasn't alot to be excited about. Our OL injured and beat up played horrific. Penalties, blown blocking, and turnstyle protection was the theme.

I must give Batch some credit. He played better than his WRs. He was throwing some darts, moving around in the pocket well and making plays. He actually looked better than Leftwich and Dixon.

I have no idea why we don't use Redman on 3rd and shorts more often. He finds way to make the tough yards. I want to see more of him.

This was a bad day for our WRs and even Miller. Lots of dropped balls.

Mendenhall played as well as possible for his blocking.

With all of this said, I think the addition of Ben will get this O clicking again. This team can win just with their D. They proved that today. But, with Ben and Starks back in the mix we are looking at a SB caliber team.

papillon
09-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Lets start with the D.

This might be the best Steeler D I have ever had privilage to watch. Only time will tell but this D looks to be very special.

It's a long season and before I equate them with the 2008 defense I'll need to see it for the entire year.

Timmons is finally starting to play up to his original billing. He actually looked like a leader from both a play and attitude standpoint. His physical play was impressive.

He's been good for a few years. No one is willing to admit that though. Now he's actually dominating.

Hampton is not a crucial component to this D. Hoke stepped in nicely and we didn't miss a beat. To hold down Johnson is a feat.

I concur, however, I'd rather have Casey healthy and rotate Hoke in for some snaps to save them both some wear and tear.

Mixed feelings on McFadden's play. He played pretty well most of the game. But, he dodged a PI in the endzone. I have no idea how that wasn't called.

Offense

There wasn't alot to be excited about. Our OL injured and beat up played horrific. Penalties, blown blocking, and turnstyle protection was the theme.

I must give Batch some credit. He played better than his WRs. He was throwing some darts, moving around in the pocket well and making plays. He actually looked better than Leftwich and Dixon.

It's not Batch's first rodeo; he's been around.

I have no idea why we don't use Redman on 3rd and shorts more often. He finds way to make the tough yards. I want to see more of him.

With all of this said, I think the addition of Ben will get this O clicking again. This team can win just with their D. They proved that today. But, with Ben and Starks back in the mix we are looking at a SB caliber team.

Pappy

Oviedo
09-20-2010, 07:51 AM
Lets start with the D.

It's a long season and before I equate them with the 2008 defense I'll need to see it for the entire year.

He's been good for a few years. No one is willing to admit that though. Now he's actually dominating.

I concur, however, I'd rather have Casey healthy and rotate Hoke in for some snaps to save them both some wear and tear.

Offense

It's not Batch's first rodeo; he's been around.

Pappy

Pappy--You are right on about Timmons. Timmons has been good but he has been dealing with totally unrealistic expectations. He was very good last year playing all season on two bad ankles.

pfelix73
09-20-2010, 09:37 AM
My post game thoughts are that we still need a real full back and not one of these TE hybrids that BA likes. Johnson got blown up on more than one occasion yesterday trying to make a block.

:tt1

cruzer8
09-20-2010, 12:57 PM
My post game thoughts are that we still need a real full back and not one of these TE hybrids that BA likes. Johnson got blown up on more than one occasion yesterday trying to make a block.

:tt1

Any FB is going to get blown up on more than one occasion when the entire D knows you are going to run on every play.

RuthlessBurgher
09-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Timmons actually made more splash plays last year on gimpy ankles (7 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, 4 passes defensed to go along with his 78 tackles...56 solo). So far this year, he has 0 sacks, 1 forced fumble, and 1 pass defensed, but he has 26 tackles...21 solo...in only 2 games. He is one third of the way to his 2009 tackle total...IN ONLY TWO GAMES!!! The flashes of potential have been replaced with consistent production. I'm sure Michael Turner and Chris Johnson both have bad dreams about Lawrence Timmons now. Timmons could have a Patrick Willis type of season this year.

grotonsteel
09-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Timmons arrived last year...IMO...And right now i think he is the best Linebacker...for 2 games atleast.

If Timmons can dominate like this for next 14 games and stay healthy he should be DMVP.

steelblood
09-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Timmons arrived last year...IMO...And right now i think he is the best Linebacker...for 2 games atleast.

If Timmons can dominate like this for next 14 games and stay healthy he should be DMVP.

Timmons was the 2nd best linebacker in the third quarter when on 12 snaps, Harrison had 5 tackles, 2 sacks, and 2 forced fumbles. I'd have to say that Timmons, Harrison, and maybe even Woodley were equally good yesterday.

brothervad
09-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Some observations...

How good is it that your weakest link on the LB corps is James Farrior (who is still a very good LB)?

Corner play has improved markedly last year...I do think it's a combo of McFadden > Gay, but also the fact that our D-Line is healthy as well as the most important factor Troy is healthy. Let's face it...our corners are the weakest part of our D but given the superior Line, LB, Saftety play they don't have to be Revis-like.

If you could go back in time...and know what you know today back then...do you trade up to get Revis or would you take things as they played out?

Batch...it's subtle but it's significant...Batch is no fleet of foot, no one would deny it. But the thing I saw that makes him a better choice at QB than DD...is his pocket awareness. Watching him take two steps to the right or the left to buy more time and then get a pass off...was impressive. I know it's a small thing, but I think if he would've had more reps this week in practice we would've seen at least on Offensive TD. I know this much...Tomlin/Arians would've played less Turtle "O" if he would've had more reps in practice.

After watching two weeks of this...I for one...do not miss Cowher ball (I know it's a bit unfair cause even Coach Cowher wasn't this bad)..but it did bring back memories of the past.

Does anyone else see the similarity of the 76 season with Kruzcek and this season with Dixon (yes I know it's only 2 games but still). I think keeping teams at 10 points in a much more open offensive minded era...is just as impressive. Sure they need to sustain this pace...but it' takes me back to those days ago of shutdown D that had to be played in order for the 76 Steelers to have a chance of making the post season.

Finally, after seeing the first 2 weeks...a 4-0 start is not out of the realm of possible (not just because of our D play, but the Ravens looked very pedestrian yesterday).

And we know it won't be any worse than 2-2 (which now I think everyone would agree would be a disappointment for us fans).

brothervad

Snatch98
09-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Redman is doing exactly what he needs to do, spell Rashard when necessary and occasionally pick up the tough short stuff. If he's in more he's not as fresh in those situations and he doesn't have the big play ability of Mendenhall. Mendenhall routinely makes something out of nothing. I don't want anymore of Redman than we're already getting. Keep him fresh and let him move the chains a carry here and a carry there otherwise he loses his effectiveness with a increased load.

And Timmons is a monster but I've been saying this since draft day.