PDA

View Full Version : Stevenson Sylvestor was impressive.

steelblood
09-19-2010, 06:35 PM
On the Kick Return TD, Sylvestor had a key block. He stripped the ball on the ensuing KO. He also had a great special teams tackle later in the game. He even got to play OLB and rush the passer (and looked pretty quick). He is smart, versatile and will be a capable starter someday. Maybe we have Farrior's replacement already.

RuthlessBurgher
09-19-2010, 06:50 PM
I also mentioned in chat that on one of the returns (where he almost took it too far and cost us a penalty), he treated the Titans' Amato the same way that James Harrison treated the Cardinals' Francisco in SBXLIII. I like seeing that type of intensity.

hawaiiansteel
09-19-2010, 06:53 PM
when the Steelers drafted a 3rd LB in this past draft after having already chosen Worilds and Gibson, I thought to myself :wft

but now I understand why we stayed true to our BPA philosophy and went ahead and picked Stevenson Sylvester. he was a beast on STs today...

RuthlessBurgher
09-19-2010, 06:59 PM
when the Steelers drafted a 3rd LB in this past draft after having already chosen Worilds and Gibson, I thought to myself :wft

but now I understand why we stayed true to our BPA philosophy and went ahead and picked Stevenson Sylvester. he was a beast on STs today...

Yeah, I couldn't believe we drafted a 3rd LB with Jonathan Dwyer still on the board (who I expected to go on day 2), but since we now have Sylvester and Dwyer, I'm happy as a pig in...ummm...let's say slop.

hawaiiansteel
09-19-2010, 07:06 PM

Yeah, I couldn't believe we drafted a 3rd LB with Jonathan Dwyer still on the board (who I expected to go on day 2), but since we now have Sylvester and Dwyer, I'm happy as a pig in...ummm...let's say slop.

and that other guy we drafted in the 6th round along with Dwyer is turning out to be a pretty good player as well... :tt2

frankthetank1
09-19-2010, 07:37 PM
sylvester is the man!! he is already making an impact on st's. what does kevin colbert know though. for every bruce davis there is a sylvestor or antonio brown.

JPbucco
09-19-2010, 07:59 PM
I like me some Stevie Sly!

focosteeler
09-19-2010, 08:01 PM
I like me some Stevie Sly!
:Agree he plays hard all the time....I LOVE IT :tt2

Oviedo
09-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Another great find by the staff and FO

Consistently top 5 in the league in acquiring talent.

stlrz d
09-19-2010, 08:13 PM

Wonder how they'd do picking 4-3 talent? :D :stirpot ;)

hawaiiansteel
09-19-2010, 08:27 PM

Colbert better start drafting some more 4-3 guys like Lawrence Timmons and Ziggy Hood soon because we all know that as soon as Lebeau retires we're moving to Tomlin's beloved 4-3 Tampa Cover 2 defense. :stirpot :lol:

papillon
09-19-2010, 08:33 PM

No, Ovi, the front office are liquored up idiot kickers don't you know? :tt2

Pappy

DukieBoy
09-19-2010, 09:28 PM
I also mentioned in chat that on one of the returns (where he almost took it too far and cost us a penalty), he treated the Titans' Amato the same way that James Harrison treated the Cardinals' Francisco in SBXLIII. I like seeing that type of intensity.

Jack Lambert was tall and thin, played intense, and spanked the heck out of Cliff Harris, Preston Pearson, Bryan Sipe, and countless other ex-NFLers still having mightmares about the toothless marauder.

Sylvester is tall and thin, apparently (today) plays intense and punishing ...
Just sayin'.

Anyway, I too appreciated the intensity today.

Oviedo
09-20-2010, 07:57 AM

No, Ovi, the front office are liquored up idiot kickers don't you know? :tt2

Pappy

I think I've read that from "experts" here

SteelAbility
09-20-2010, 08:43 AM

Colbert better start drafting some more 4-3 guys like Lawrence Timmons and Ziggy Hood soon because we all know that as soon as Lebeau retires we're moving to Tomlin's beloved 4-3 Tampa Cover 2 defense. :stirpot :lol:

Even the mention of this calls for legislation making Lebeau's retirement a violation of federal law. :tt2

steeler_george
09-20-2010, 09:00 AM
I am loving this draft class already. So far in 2 games, the rookies have contributed/played a vital part in our wins.

steelblood
09-20-2010, 09:07 AM
I'm not so sure what some of you guys are talking about. This is one of the most supportive, positive message boards I've ever encountered. Sure, there are guys who are pessimistic most of the time, but they are a small minority here.

Go Steelers :tt2

Oviedo
09-20-2010, 11:06 AM
I'm not so sure what some of you guys are talking about. This is one of the most supportive, positive message boards I've ever encountered. Sure, there are guys who are pessimistic most of the time, but they are a small minority here.

Go Steelers :tt2

Yep, this overall is a great board. Every board will have those who aren't happy unless they find something to be unhappy about.

phillyesq
09-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Sylvester was all over the place on special teams. Even when he didn't make a play, he seemed to be in near the action. It was great to see him get a chance to contribute in the regular defense late in the game as well.

The Steelers have a long history of successful linebackers who earned playing time in the regular D with outstanding special teams play, and I'd like to see Sylvester continue following that path.

If it is blazing hot in Tampa next week, the Steelers are going to need to keep guys fresh on D again; hopefully Sylvester has earned some extra snaps with the regulars.

Oviedo
09-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Sylvester was all over the place on special teams. Even when he didn't make a play, he seemed to be in near the action. It was great to see him get a chance to contribute in the regular defense late in the game as well.

The Steelers have a long history of successful linebackers who earned playing time in the regular D with outstanding special teams play, and I'd like to see Sylvester continue following that path.

If it is blazing hot in Tampa next week, the Steelers are going to need to keep guys fresh on D again; hopefully Sylvester has earned some extra snaps with the regulars.

Projected to be 92 degrees with a "realfeel temp" of 101. Potential silver lining is 40% chance of rain but that usually doesn't roll in until mid afternoon.

I actually think we play better wearing black. Seems more intimidating.

RuthlessBurgher
09-20-2010, 01:14 PM

Projected to be 92 degrees with a "realfeel temp" of 101. Potential silver lining is 40% chance of rain but that usually doesn't roll in until mid afternoon.

Doesn't the 40% chance of rain actually make it worse (i.e. more humid)?

Oviedo
09-20-2010, 01:26 PM

Doesn't the 40% chance of rain actually make it worse (i.e. more humid)?

Yep!!! That is why the "realfeel" will be 101. As long as the moisture is in the air it is uncomfortable, once it actually does start raining though the it is much more comfortable down here.

JTP53609
09-20-2010, 02:20 PM
or as tomlin calls him....sylvestor stevenson...

NJ-STEELER
09-20-2010, 07:31 PM

+ 1

The Man of Steel
09-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Does anyone else remember Sylvester from the 2009 Sugar Bowl when Utah smacked Alabama around? Sly had 3 sacks and a fumble recovery, not too shabby.

jj28west
09-20-2010, 08:31 PM
Does anyone else remember Sylvester from the 2009 Sugar Bowl when Utah smacked Alabama around? Sly had 3 sacks and a fumble recovery, not too shabby.

Yes!,

There was some talk of him going into round 2 but then he got lost in mediocre play in his senior year against weak competition according to experts.

I would never imagined him falling so far after that one game alone.