PDA

View Full Version : Steelers release Byron Leftwich

RuthlessBurgher
09-18-2010, 04:43 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/39248023/ns/sports-player_news/

Steelers released QB Byron Leftwich.

DE Steve McLendon was signed from the practice squad to create depth on the Steelers defensive line after the injury to NT Casey Hampton. Leftwich should be back next week once Hampton gets healthy. In the meantime, Pittsburgh will carry two quarterbacks (Dennis Dixon and Charlie Batch) Sunday against Tennessee.

Source: Steelers Digest on Twitter

hawaiiansteel
09-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Lefty undoubtedly is not yet ready to play and would have been inactive anyway.

the Steelers have only 5 DL available this week (Smith, Keisel, Ziggy, Hoke and Eason) and we need a backup to Hoke at NT with Casey out.

I'm glad to see McClendon get a chance to play, in the heat of Tennessee we need to be able to keep Hoke and all of our DL fresh against the onslaught of Chris Johnson.

Djfan
09-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Per yahoo update text.

Said expect him back next week.

Djfan
09-18-2010, 05:19 PM
We double posted. Mods please get rid of my thread.

Wonder if the ratbirds pick him up just to be turds.

Discipline of Steel
09-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Should we expect him the next week? This isnt Charlie Batch we are talking about, Lefty cant be happy with this. Perhaps Dixon won the Lefty/Dixon 'QB controversy'?

SteelCrazy
09-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Wonder if the ratbirds pick him up just to be turds.

He isn't added to the waiver wire cause he is a vested veteran, but he could sign with anyone he wants since he is an unrestricted free agent. Im sure he has had a long talk with Steelers and they made it clear what their intentions are and for his sake let's hope they are going to re-sign him. Me, I wouldn't mind it if they let him go for good.

papillon
09-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Releasing Leftwich should give Dixon a boost in confidence as well. He now knows that unless he gets injured he isn't being replaced. Lets hope he loses the first half jitters and plays 60 minutes similar to his second half last week rather than the first half.

Neither was great, but, at least in the second half he looked more calm and wasn't playing as fast, IMO. The Steelers need a good game from Dixon to win.

Pappy

fordfixer
09-19-2010, 01:18 AM
Leftwich released, expected to be re-signed
By Mark Kaboly, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, September 19, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 00269.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_700269.html)

Byron Leftwich was released by the Steelers on Saturday, but his stay away from the team likely will only last a day or two.

Leftwich was cut so the team could add defensive line depth on the 53-man roster for today's game against the Tennessee Titans. To that end, Steve McLendon was signed from the practice squad.

The Steelers plan to re-sign Leftwich on Monday or Tuesday. As a vested veteran, Leftwich can't be claimed off waivers by another team.

Until he sprained an MCL in the preseason finale, Leftwich was on track to be the starter while quarterback Ben Roethlisberger served his four-game suspension for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy. The Leftwich injury vaulted Dennis Dixon into the starting role for the season opener against Atlanta. Dixon will start against the Titans, with Charlie Batch serving as the backup.

With nose tackle Casey Hampton ruled out of today's game with a hamstring injury, the Steelers had only five healthy defensive linemen. Coach Mike Tomlin prefers using six linemen, especially early in the season when the weather is warm. McLendon could be part of the rotation.

McLendon is an undrafted free agent from Troy. He spent the 2009 season on the Steelers' practice squad.

Heat is on

The Steelers could do something today that has never done in franchise history. But it might not be something of which they want to be a part.

The forecasted temperature for today's game between the Steelers and Tennessee Titans at Nashville's LP Field is 94 degrees.

That would tie for the hottest game the Steelers ever played, matching the Oct. 8, 1988, game in the Arizona desert against the Phoenix Cardinals a game the Steelers lost, 31-14.

The Steelers have played only five games when the temperature was 90 degrees or higher Sept. 20, 1992, at San Diego; Sept. 6, 1998, at Baltimore; Sept. 18, 1995, at Miami; and Sept. 18, 2005, at Houston.

They have a 3-2 record when the mercury reaches 90 degrees or better.

Run only if necessary

Dennis Dixon might run for yardage today against the Titans, but don't expect it to be by design.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians believes there is more risk than reward if he calls designed running plays for Dixon, even though his quarterback has that skill set.

"As a designed run, you are going to be playing with your second quarterback," Arians said. "The guys who start in this league are a heck of a lot faster than those second- and third-string guys in the preseason. To design runs with just two quarterbacks, I think is a little dangerous."

steelblood
09-19-2010, 09:09 AM
I thought Hood took some snaps at NT against the Falcons and has practiced there in camp. I really thought we could get through the game with 5 guys. Maybe Eason (who missed a couple of practices for undisclosed reasons) is banged up as well.

NorthCoast
09-19-2010, 09:17 AM
I thought Hood took some snaps at NT against the Falcons and has practiced there in camp. I really thought we could get through the game with 5 guys. Maybe Eason (who missed a couple of practices for undisclosed reasons) is banged up as well.

Eason seemed to have done a good job on the nose when he was in there. Did not see much if any drop-off in play. Then again, both Atlanta lines are lightweights. Not so with Tennessee.

Oviedo
09-19-2010, 09:37 AM

Sunny Harris was getting reps in the preseason at NT. That is why I was so surprised they let him go. He must really not had advanced at all since last year. Keep hearing they like McClendon but can't like him too much if he is a two year PS player.

This sort of underscores how we eventually really need to get serious about getting a young nose tackle sooner rather than later. Imagine if Hoke gets hurt? We would have serious issues.

RuthlessBurgher
09-19-2010, 02:06 PM

I think the fact that it is 90+ degrees in Tennessee this weekend played into this decision. It that heat, we need to rotate our 300+ pounders. If we were playing in a dome this week, we may have been able to get away with 5 DL.