PDA

View Full Version : A.J Hawk open to being traded....

Dee Dub
09-16-2010, 02:19 PM
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette ... agent-says (http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100915/PKR01/100915144/Linebacker-Hawk-would-be-open-to-trade-agent-says)

I'd take him. He'd be a more than adequate replacement for Farrior next year. He could be a little of what Kevin Greene was to the Steelers when he was traded by the Rams.

phillyesq
09-16-2010, 02:37 PM
If you add Hawk, who do you replace? I like all three of the linebackers drafted this year, and Foote and Fox provide great veteran depth on the inside.

RuthlessBurgher
09-16-2010, 02:38 PM
At $4.623 million this season and $10 million next season? I'll pass.

aggiebones
09-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Sometimes the name guy is not needed. Actually most of the time, the name guy is not needed.
If they picked up some of his salary, then maybe. Not sure he would fit in real well here. What's he complaining about?

Slapstick
09-16-2010, 03:42 PM
I am a huge Buckeye homer and I would love to have AJ on the Steelers...

However, I don't think that he would necessarily be the best fit for the Steelers 3-4 D...Capers' scheme is the closest in the NFL to what LeBeau runs...if he's not playing in GB, he probably wouldn't play here either...

If the Steelers were moving to the 4-3, I would reconsider...

steelblood
09-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Certain positions from certain schools seem to be overrated sometimes. For me, most OSU linebackers that are highly touted are disappointments to some extent at the pro level. There are exceptions.

Slapstick
09-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Certain positions from certain schools seem to be overrated sometimes. For me, most OSU linebackers that are highly touted are disappointments to some extent at the pro level. There are exceptions.

Very true...

Hopefully, this will not be the case with Thaddeus Gibson... :tt2

Sugar
09-16-2010, 04:38 PM
I know AJ and would love to see him in Black and Gold as a replacement for Farrior/Foote perhaps. That said, I don't see it happening.

It's funny, I remember talking to his dad when he was still in school and telling him that I'd love to see AJ as a Steeler in the upcoming draft. His dad agreed because the Steelers are known for having great LB's.

Dee Dub
09-16-2010, 04:49 PM
If you add Hawk, who do you replace? I like all three of the linebackers drafted this year, and Foote and Fox provide great veteran depth on the inside.

I am talking about replacing Farrior for next year. See above. And this would be a huge upgrade.

Dee Dub
09-16-2010, 05:43 PM
I am a huge Buckeye homer and I would love to have AJ on the Steelers...

However, I don't think that he would necessarily be the best fit for the Steelers 3-4 D...Capers' scheme is the closest in the NFL to what LeBeau runs...if he's not playing in GB, he probably wouldn't play here either...

If the Steelers were moving to the 4-3, I would reconsider...

I agree that he is better suited to play a 4-3 however to say or think he can’t play a 3-4 is not right. He did so last year and was pretty solid. It was felt that James Farrior also was better suited at a 4-3 which he played in for the Jets. But he to made the transition.

Dee Dub
09-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Here are the numbers for A.J. Hawk and James Farrior’s in their first years in a 3-4. And they both play the same position—LILB.

89 tackles 67 solo 22 assisted 2PD 1 sacks 0 FF 0 REC 2 INT’s------A.J.Hawk

82 tackles 60 solo 22 assisted 1PD 0 sacks 0 FF 0 REC 0 INT’s -----James Farrior

Shawn
09-16-2010, 06:21 PM
AJ Hawk would be a HUGE upgrade over Foote and Farrior at this stage in his career. I am certainly a Hawk fan...the guy has game. With that said, I wouldn't sell the farm to get him nor would I want to give up 10 mil per to obtain his services. If we could obtain Hawk for a second round pick and sign him to a semi reasonable contract I would be all over it. But, that won't happen.

Dee Dub
09-16-2010, 06:37 PM
At $4.623 million this season and $10 million next season? I'll pass.

I would. Especially if Hawks progresses as did James Farrior for years 2-7 in a 3-4.

Totally worth it. We would be talking about possibly the best ILB in a 3-4 in the league.

Dee Dub
09-16-2010, 06:39 PM
AJ Hawk would be a HUGE upgrade over Foote and Farrior at this stage in his career. I am certainly a Hawk fan...the guy has game. With that said, I wouldn't sell the farm to get him nor would I want to give up 10 mil per to obtain his services. If we could obtain Hawk for a second round pick and sign him to a semi reasonable contract I would be all over it. But, that won't happen.

Because of the impasse in Green Bay I don’t think it would take the farm to get him.

Dee Dub
09-16-2010, 06:40 PM

Shawn look at what Farrior did in his 3rd year in a 3-4. That isnt worth the money?

94 65 29 12PD's 3.0Sacks 3FF 0 4INT's

I think it is.

RuthlessBurgher
09-16-2010, 07:00 PM
Here are the numbers for A.J. Hawk and James Farrior’s in their first years in a 3-4. And they both play the same position—LILB.

89 tackles 67 solo 22 assisted 2PD 1 sacks 0 FF 0 REC 2 INT’s------A.J.Hawk

82 tackles 60 solo 22 assisted 1PD 0 sacks 0 FF 0 REC 0 INT’s -----James Farrior

Gotta admit...the parallels are striking. Farrior was the 8th overall pick in the draft, and the Jets gave up on him after his 5th year there. Hawk was the 5th overall pick in the draft, and the Pack appears to be ready to give up on him during this, his 5th year. However, in order to get Farrior, we did not have to give up prime draft compensation and pay him big money...we got him on a reasonable deal as a free agent.

Considering what we have already paid Harrison, what we will be paying Woodley very soon, and with Timmons on deck for a contract after that, we simply can't spend this kind of money on a 4th LB. I think we line up Farrior (buck) next to Timmons (mack) this year, then Foote (mack) next to Timmons (buck) next year, and Sylvester (mack) next to Timmons (buck) the year after that.

Shawn
09-16-2010, 07:17 PM

Shawn look at what Farrior did in his 3rd year in a 3-4. That isnt worth the money?

94 65 29 12PD's 3.0Sacks 3FF 0 4INT's

I think it is.

It's not about whether he is worth the money...its about the cap and signing our in house talent. Like Ruthless said, with Hawk we would have 4 LBrs getting paid crazy money. We have to have some bargain players outplaying their contracts in order to stay cap friendly. It's the way the Steelers have done business for years. So, unless Hawk is willing to take a huge paycut it just won't happen.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Ruthless nailed it.

I think Sly will develop nicely in that spot anyways.

Steel Life
09-16-2010, 09:05 PM
The statistics given are interesting, but here's where the similarities end...Farrior was a 3-4 LB not playing up to expectations in a 4-3, AJ is a 4-3 LB failing at playing the 3-4. This isn't an indictment of AJ, the very same thing happened with Vilma when was with the Jets. Vilma had go to the 4-3 Saints to get back to form...the same thing needs to happen for AJ.

stlrz d
09-16-2010, 10:49 PM
Pass.

MeetJoeGreene
09-17-2010, 11:59 AM
AJ Hawk?

I would rather have Ethan Hawke:

http://www.product-reviews.net/wp-content/userimages/2008/01/first-child-ethan-hawke.jpg

Dee Dub
09-17-2010, 12:04 PM
It's not about whether he is worth the money...its about the cap and signing our in house talent. Like Ruthless said, with Hawk we would have 4 LBrs getting paid crazy money. We have to have some bargain players outplaying their contracts in order to stay cap friendly. It's the way the Steelers have done business for years. So, unless Hawk is willing to take a huge paycut it just won't happen.

I hear what you are saying but in a 3-4 the LB’s are the fixture of the defense. The play makers of the defense. And if this team would stop shelling out the money they do for sub-par CB’s they could probably afford another blue chip LB. Wouldn’t you think?

Dee Dub
09-17-2010, 12:05 PM
The statistics given are interesting, but here's where the similarities end...Farrior was a 3-4 LB not playing up to expectations in a 4-3, AJ is a 4-3 LB failing at playing the 3-4. This isn't an indictment of AJ, the very same thing happened with Vilma when was with the Jets. Vilma had go to the 4-3 Saints to get back to form...the same thing needs to happen for AJ.

I am not so sure I agree about your assessment of Farrior in a 4-3. His last year with the Jets he had maybe his best year ever.

grotonsteel
09-17-2010, 12:21 PM
I was a big A J Hawk fan when he played for The OSU but A J Hawk is serviceable at best.

It will be stupid to pay 10 million dollars for A J Hawk+ 2nd Rd draft pick.....He is not a game changer. And if you are not the best LB for Packers which did not have great D then it tells you something about Hawk.

Packers fan would be ecstatic to get a 2nd Rd pick for A J Hawk. It safe to say A J Hawk is a bust.

phillyesq
09-17-2010, 12:24 PM

I hear what you are saying but in a 3-4 the LB’s are the fixture of the defense. The play makers of the defense. And if this team would stop shelling out the money they do for sub-par CB’s they could probably afford another blue chip LB. Wouldn’t you think?

The LBs are the key to the defense in the 3-4, but you don't have to have a premium player at every position. Having studs on the outside is a key, but the Steelers defense can work quite well with Timmons and a Foote/Farrior type. If Timmons is going to be used in a fashion where he is set free to make plays, it makes sense to have a Foote type next to him going forward - somebody who is solid, dependanble, and knows their responsibilities, and who plays within the system.

Dee Dub
09-17-2010, 12:42 PM
I was a big A J Hawk fan when he played for The OSU but A J Hawk is serviceable at best.

It will be stupid to pay 10 million dollars for A J Hawk+ 2nd Rd draft pick.....He is not a game changer. And if you are not the best LB for Packers which did not have great D then it tells you something about Hawk.

Packers fan would be ecstatic to get a 2nd Rd pick for A J Hawk. It safe to say A J Hawk is a bust.

You obviously havent followed A.J. Hawk as a pro. He has been far from serviceable.

I do not think at this point it would take as high as a second round pick to obtain him. And I think it would be best to obtain him not in mid season but in the off season.

RuthlessBurgher
09-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Instead of trying to replace an aging Farrior with Green Bay's Hawk now, wait a few years and try to replace an aging Harrison with Green Bay's Clay Matthews instead.

:tt2 :tt1

Dee Dub
09-17-2010, 12:53 PM

The LBs are the key to the defense in the 3-4, but you don't have to have a premium player at every position. Having studs on the outside is a key, but the Steelers defense can work quite well with Timmons and a Foote/Farrior type. If Timmons is going to be used in a fashion where he is set free to make plays, it makes sense to have a Foote type next to him going forward - somebody who is solid, dependanble, and knows their responsibilities, and who plays within the system.

I agree with this…but I think if you ask me who I would rather having playing next to Timmons next year….Foote or Hawk??? No question Hawk. All those characteristics you say that are needed for the LILB…Hawk has far more of than Foote. Foote is sub-par at the point of attack.

Dee Dub
09-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Instead of trying to replace an aging Farrior with Green Bay's Hawk now, wait a few years and try to replace an aging Harrison with Green Bay's Clay Matthews instead.

:tt2 :tt1

I am not saying now...I think it in the off season it could be a way to go. This is Farrior's last year as a Steeler. We do need to replace him and Hawk would fill that bill.

StarSpangledSteeler
09-17-2010, 01:06 PM

I am talking about replacing Farrior for next year. See above. And this would be a huge upgrade.

I agree. Let's look at the competition... Is AJ Hawk better than:

Farrior? yep.
Foote? yep.
Fox? yep.

Remember we picked up Farrior (a former first round draft choice) as a free agent. Once he got into our system behind our DL and supported by our other dominate LB's, he blossomed into a pro-bowl caliber player. I would expect similar results from AJ. He's not that old, and he is a thumper who is decent in coverage which is what we need.

The only problem i see is his contract. Can it be restructured/reduced?

phillyesq
09-17-2010, 01:29 PM

I agree with this…but I think if you ask me who I would rather having playing next to Timmons next year….Foote or Hawk??? No question Hawk. All those characteristics you say that are needed for the LILB…Hawk has far more of than Foote. Foote is sub-par at the point of attack.[/quote]

Before, I thought that you were advocating bringing in Hawk mid-season. Now that I see that you're looking at a potential offseason acquisition, he is slightly more interesting. That said, I'm not sure that I'd rather have Hawk than Foote. Foote knows the system very well, and there is a certain value to that. For a low money, low risk deal, Hawk may be worth a look, but the Steelers have other needs, and I would focus the resources elsewhere.

Slapstick
09-17-2010, 02:30 PM
In the offseason?

Hell, that changes everything...

The Pack will not pay AJ $10 mil next year...

Would I rather have him than Foote or Farrior next year? At less than $10 mil? Especially after spending a few seasons in Capers' 3-4 which is as close as it gets to LeBeau's system?

Oh yeah, I'd take him...

cruzer8
09-17-2010, 02:57 PM
We have a guy named after an animal to take over for Farrior if he retires.

http://steelerheaven.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/08_sddh_fox_99745.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
09-17-2010, 03:02 PM
We have a guy named after an animal to take over for Farrior if he retires.

http://steelerheaven.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/08_sddh_fox_99745.jpg

http://windwolf.com/images/HawkFox%20Drum.jpg

http://www.granddistribution.com/assets/FoxHawk_s.JPG