PDA

View Full Version : Timmons spy on Vince Young?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-15-2010, 09:59 AM
VY can hurt us with his legs. Farrior/Foote are too slow to keep up, we need Harrison to keep them honest on the left side.

What do you all think about Timmons main assignment to keep Young from busting the big run?

JTP53609
09-15-2010, 10:02 AM
I remember farrior had that role when we played vick in 02 and 06....i like the idea to a certain extent

RuthlessBurgher
09-15-2010, 10:07 AM
Timmons was our best player on D last week. He was everywhere. Forcing him to focus and react solely on what Vince is doing would neuter him to some extent. I'd prefer to let him loose to make plays all over the field.

JTP53609
09-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Timmons was our best player on D last week. He was everywhere. Forcing him to focus and react solely on what Vince is doing would neuter him to some extent. I'd prefer to let him loose to make plays all over the field.

and that was the certain extent to which I like the idea, he could limit young, but basically it would minimize young and all it would really do is like you said it would "neuter" (haha that is a good word to explain) timmons and limit his big play ability that we saw on Sunday

BURGH86STEEL
09-15-2010, 10:26 AM
Will probably be a combination of Timmons and Troy. I still don't believe Troy's knee is right.
He seems to lack his explosive burst. His knee could be the reason.

RuthlessBurgher
09-15-2010, 10:26 AM

and that was the certain extent to which I like the idea, he could limit young, but basically it would minimize young and all it would really do is like you said it would "neuter" (haha that is a good word to explain) timmons and limit his big play ability that we saw on Sunday

But Chris Johnson is a much more dangerous weapon out there than Vince Young. Just play our defense as LeBeau designs it to be played. Ike Taylor did not shadow Roddy White all over the field last week...Lawrence Timmons will not shadow Vince Young all over the field this week. We shouldn't have to adjust what we do on defense because we are scared of what their offense might be able to do. If we play our defense the way we are capable of playing it, then the offense should have to adjust to what we are doing instead.

Slapstick
09-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Timmons has been assigned to basically spy on Chris Johnson...

As an ILB, he will already be looking for the RB on run plays...but, on pass plays, Timmons is to cover Johnson...

MicroBioSteel
09-15-2010, 10:38 AM
If we play our defense the way we are capable of playing it, then the offense should have to adjust to what we are doing instead.

:Agree
He who dictates the game wins the game!

steelblood
09-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Our guys need to stay at home! We can't just let the dogs loose this week. This week will be about discipline. We need to watch the cut back lanes, bootlegs, draws, screens, etc.

steelsnis
09-15-2010, 10:59 AM
"I still don't believe Troy's knee is right. He seems to lack his explosive burst. His knee could be the reason."

Really? His closing speed on that sideline INT wasn't an explosive burst? I don't see any lack of explosion from Troy at all.

NW Steeler
09-15-2010, 11:01 AM
"I still don't believe Troy's knee is right. He seems to lack his explosive burst. His knee could be the reason."

Really? His closing speed on that sideline INT wasn't an explosive burst? I don't see any lack of explosion from Troy at all.

I was thinking the same thing. He looks "normal" to me. Normal for Troy, that is.

phillyesq
09-15-2010, 12:44 PM

But Chris Johnson is a much more dangerous weapon out there than Vince Young. Just play our defense as LeBeau designs it to be played. Ike Taylor did not shadow Roddy White all over the field last week...Lawrence Timmons will not shadow Vince Young all over the field this week. We shouldn't have to adjust what we do on defense because we are scared of what their offense might be able to do. If we play our defense the way we are capable of playing it, then the offense should have to adjust to what we are doing instead.

I agree with Ruthless. VY may be able to hurt us with his legs, but Chris Johnson can hurt us a whole lot more. Spying VY the entire game with Timmons isn't the best use of personnel. I'm not opposed to spying VY on occasion, as dictated by the situation, but I'd do it with different people, and I wouldn't do it on every play.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-15-2010, 12:56 PM

I agree with Ruthless. VY may be able to hurt us with his legs, but Chris Johnson can hurt us a whole lot more. Spying VY the entire game with Timmons isn't the best use of personnel. I'm not opposed to spying VY on occasion, as dictated by the situation, but I'd do it with different people, and I wouldn't do it on every play.

All points well taken, but I think a problem is that it is impossible to know WHICH play we will need a spy for - those busted plays will be the ones that kill us, I suspect.

Not saying what the right answer is ... I'm just glad the fate of the game doesn't depend on my defensive game planning!

papillon
09-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Vince Young? Really? Did he all of a sudden become a HOF quarterback? I wouldn't spy him or Johnson, maintaining their defensive discipline will keep Young in the pocket and Johnson from cutting back for the big plays.

Dennis Dixon will be the player that determines if the Steelers win or lose. If he can limit or eliminate mistakes (particularly inside the plus 30 yard line) the Steelers will be in the game with a chance to win in the 4th quarter.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
09-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Steelers Timmons Faces Huge Test

September 15th, 2010

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/16181/lawrence_timmons.jpg
This effort....

The Steelers are giving Lawrence Timmons the unenviable task of taking care of Chris Johnson this week. He will be his shadow not only on running plays but he will also be assigned to Johnson against the pass as well. This is a huge test for Timmons.

Jonhson is coming off a career year where he became only the sixth back in NFL history to rush for over 2,000 yards in a season. His nickname is “Every Coaches Dream” (side note: Johnson game himself this name). Johnson is by far the fastest back in the NFL and is not one dimensional by any means. He goes inside and out. He also is a very capable pass catcher out of the backfield. It is a toss up whether Johnson or Adrian Peterson is the best tailback in the league but I would put my money on Johnson. Mostly because speed kills. And then there is the whole fumbling thing for Peterson.

So according to me Timmons will be squared off one-on-one with the best back in the league. This will be the steepest test Timmons has faced in his career. Timmons is only a second year starter and has been learning the defense during his three years with the Steelers. He has come along slow but the fact that Coach Tomlin is giving him this opportunity is a sign that Timmons is finally up to speed with the defense and he believes in his ability.

Timmons was raw coming out of college and also had a position change to go through moving from outside to inside. He took some time to learn and now is showing Steelers Nation why he was taken in the first round. Timmons has put in the work to become a better player both physically and mentally. He has become a student of the game and a beast in the process.

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2008/12/14/PH2008121402528.jpg
...equals these results.

Timmons has speed like a corner and has bulked up to be the size of the middle linebacker he needs to be. So he hits you like a truck. All this while not losing any of that speed he was gifted with. His athleticism in unparalelled when it comes to his size. He can run down plays from sideline to sideline an is still able to make the big stop in the hole against the run.

Timmons can cover downfield as well. He has shown the ability to blow up a bubble screen while coming from his inside linebacker position. Do you know how fast you have to be to even get to a bubble screen from the inside let alone blow it up?

The best thing to watch Timmons do though is blitz. He is so strong and agile it is hard to get a good shot on him. If you do get to hit him on a blitz it is normally him hitting you though. He is always in the quarterbacks face when he comes on the rush. It is a thing of beauty.

This is a test I cannot wait to watch. Timmons looks to have finally come into his own. If he can control Johnson, the Steelers can control the Titans. This will be the biggest match-up in this week’s game. It may also be the most important. Timmons will have his hands full. If he can handle this challenge it is a sign a great things to come for the Steelers. Timmons could be a star in the making, it just took him a few minutes longer than everyone was hoping for. I have a good feeling that it may have been worth the wait.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic ... st/3232441 (http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_timmons_faces_huge_test/3232441)

birtikidis
09-15-2010, 11:38 PM
I'm more worried about CJ then VY... stop him, you stop the titans. VY can hurt you, CJ can kill you.