PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin Needs to Work On Clock Management

ter1230_4
09-14-2010, 09:50 PM
There are a lot of things I like about Coach Tomlin, but his game decisions, especially clock management, need a lot of work. In the game against the Falcons Tomlin made two poor clock management decisions. The first was at the end of the first half when, leading 3-0, the Steelers faced a 4th and long at the Falcons 38 yard line. There was only about 20 seconds left, but the Falcons still had 2 timeouts, and if the Steelers tried a field goal and missed the Falcons would get the ball at their own 45 yard line with a decent chance of getting into field goal range themselves. Jeff Reed had kicked a 52 yard FG in the first quarter which was announced as the longest FG in the history of Heinz Field. So what happened? Instead of punting and effectively ending the first half with a lead, Tomlin tried the 55 yard FG which was missed (although closer than I thought it would be) and the Falcons were able to get into FG range and tie the game.

The second bad decision that Tomlin made was to call a timeout with 2:05 remaining in the 4th quarter. The Steelers had a 2nd and 5 at their own 44 yard line with all three timeouts remaining. There was plenty of time left for the Steelers to move the ball another 25 or 30 yards to get into FG range. What Tomlin should have been trying to do was to move the ball into FG range while at the same time running the clock down as far as possible so when the Falcons got the ball there wouldn't be enough time for them to do anything. He should have just let it tick down to the 2 minute warning. When Dixon them proceeded to get sacked on consecutive plays there was still 1:53 left on the clock, the Falcons had only used 1 timeout, and the Steelers had to punt. It's lucky for Tomlin that Troy Polamalu made that pick, because otherwise the Falcons were in position to drive for the game winning FG.

BURGH86STEEL
09-14-2010, 09:56 PM
I don't believe there was anything wrong with either decision he made. That's because I understand why he made those decisions.

Flasteel
09-14-2010, 10:31 PM
I don't believe there was anything wrong with either decision he made. That's because I understand why he made those decisions.

Wow...someone else who has no grasp of this situation.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13514 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13514)

If you understand why he made the call, then go ahead and fill the rest of us in. There is zero justification for calling the TO with 2:05 to go. It is completely indefensible, so by all means brother...go for it.

BURGH86STEEL
09-14-2010, 11:34 PM

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13514 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13514)

If you understand why he made the call, then go ahead and fill the rest of us in. There is zero justification for calling the TO with 2:05 to go. It is completely indefensible, so by all means brother...go for it.

5 seconds is 5 seconds. You may not agree with it but that's why I believed he called a time out. Maybe Tomlin had an experience where a game was won or lost based on a few seconds? That's how I grasped the situation.

I thought they should had ran the ball on 2nd down. That's my opinion. Does not make their decision right or wrong.

Flasteel
09-15-2010, 06:31 AM

5 seconds is 5 seconds. You may not agree with it but that's why I believed he called a time out. Maybe Tomlin had an experience where a game was won or lost based on a few seconds? That's how I grasped the situation.

I thought they should had ran the ball on 2nd down. That's my opinion. Does not make their decision right or wrong.

Yeah, it does. It is the wrong decision, no matter how you look at it. The simple reason why, is we did not need to conserve time in that situation. The overwhelming probability is that we either don't score and give the ball back with too much time, or we do score and there is still enough time left for them to tie or win. You HAVE to bleed the clock in that situation 100% of the time. I will challenge Tomlin, Mora, any coach, or any poster who tries to argue otherwise.

2nd & 5 near midfield
3 TOs plus the 2-minute warning
20-35 yards to go for a FG

I love the job Mike Tomlin is doing as coach, but this was a horrible job of clock management at the end of both halves. Hopefully, we won't get burned by something similar in the future.

Slapstick
09-15-2010, 08:24 AM
It is amazing how the second guessers can come out with their 20/20 hindsight...

If the team had actually executed the plays called, this thread would not exist...

BURGH86STEEL
09-15-2010, 08:44 AM

Yeah, it does. It is the wrong decision, no matter how you look at it. The simple reason why, is we did not need to conserve time in that situation. The overwhelming probability is that we either don't score and give the ball back with too much time, or we do score and there is still enough time left for them to tie or win. You HAVE to bleed the clock in that situation 100% of the time. I will challenge Tomlin, Mora, any coach, or any poster who tries to argue otherwise.

2nd & 5 near midfield
3 TOs plus the 2-minute warning
20-35 yards to go for a FG

I love the job Mike Tomlin is doing as coach, but this was a horrible job of clock management at the end of both halves. Hopefully, we won't get burned by something similar in the future.

At the end of the first half, he had ground to stand on to let Reed attempt a 55 yard FG. Reed made a 52 yard FG earlier with room to spare. At the end of the 4th QT, Reed is usually money from 40 yards.

It's one thing to have an I am right and they were wrong attitude. You take it a step further and try to pass your opinion as fact. It's also another thing to have an understanding. I gave you a possible reason why he called a time out with 2:05 remaining. You can disagree and are entitled to your opinion. Your opinion does not make it fact.

Teams don't have too nor will they bleed the clock 100% of the time. My first goal would be to score. It's nice if the offense is able to bleed the clock in the process. If unable to score or bleed the clock, the special teams coverage and defense have to step up and do the job . Make the other team drive down the field to tie or win the game. The percentages are probably against the teams attempting to drive down the field and score.

Another thing, based on the way the special teams coverage and defense played in that game, I don't believe Tomlin was concerned with giving the ball back with to much time remaining.

JTP53609
09-15-2010, 09:07 AM
I dont like to second guess all the time, but right when he called the timeout with 2:05 I was yelling ans asking why the heck would you take a timeout there, he could have taken the 2 minute warning and still had second and 5 with all 3 timeouts, instead he takes the timeout gets burned by atlanta sacking us and he is now at the 2 minute warning with 2 timeouts and a third and long...even if dixon got a first down out of the timeout I would still have wondered why he called a timeout....

I also was not to big on the idea of kicking a 55 yd field goal at the end of the half, I like going into the half with a lead and giving the ball up close to mid field with timeouts for the falcons was something I would have not done, even if we punted and got a tochback, atlanta does not get a field goal there.

BURGH86STEEL
09-15-2010, 10:22 AM
I dont like to second guess all the time, but right when he called the timeout with 2:05 I was yelling ans asking why the heck would you take a timeout there, he could have taken the 2 minute warning and still had second and 5 with all 3 timeouts, instead he takes the timeout gets burned by atlanta sacking us and he is now at the 2 minute warning with 2 timeouts and a third and long...even if dixon got a first down out of the timeout I would still have wondered why he called a timeout....

I also was not to big on the idea of kicking a 55 yd field goal at the end of the half, I like going into the half with a lead and giving the ball up close to mid field with timeouts for the falcons was something I would have not done, even if we punted and got a tochback, atlanta does not get a field goal there.

It's fine if you wonder or disagree with the time out. I am sure he had his reasons why he called the TO.

Again, I believe he choose to kick that 55 yard FG because Reed made a 52 yard FG earlier in the game. There are fans that would second guess a call not to kick a 55 yard FG and punt after Reed had made a 52 yard FG earlier in the game. Especially, when opportunities to score were difficult and limited.

I can understand both sides of the argument. Not sure if there are any wrong or right decisions under many circumstances.

Slapstick
09-15-2010, 10:48 AM
It's fine if you wonder or disagree with the time out. I am sure he had his reasons why he called the TO.

Again, I believe he choose to kick that 55 yard FG because Reed made a 52 yard FG earlier in the game. There are fans that would second guess a call not to kick a 55 yard FG and punt after Reed had made a 52 yard FG earlier in the game. Especially, when opportunities to score were difficult and limited.

I can understand both sides of the argument. Not sure if there are any wrong or right decisions under many circumstances.

Losing the game makes it wrong...again, the whole hindsight thing...

ter1230_4
09-15-2010, 02:58 PM
It is amazing how the second guessers can come out with their 20/20 hindsight...

If the team had actually executed the plays called, this thread would not exist...

If you had been sitting next to me at the game you would know that your second guessing accusation is a complete pile of ####. At the end of the first half, as soon as the Steelers failed to convert the 3rd down I was yelling for them to punt. Reed did make a 52 yard FG earlier in the half, but that was the lomgest FG in the HISTORY of Heinz Field. I want Tomlin to be aggressive, but smart, and under the circumstances it was a bad gamble to try one three yards longer than the longest FG in the HISTORY of Heinz Field. I've seen this before. In the Raiders game last year the Steelers led 10-6 at the beginning of the 4th quarter, and tried a 50 yard FG which they missed. The Raiders then took the ball over at the best field position they had all game long and drove for a TD. Cowher made a similar mistake at the end of the 1st half of the Bungles game in 2006 (the Coclough fumbled punt game).

As for the TO with 2:05 left in the game last Sunday, as soon as the TO was called I said that it was a dumb move. They had more than enough time with 2 minutes and 3 TO's, so there absolutely no need to call the TO there. Any good coach would be looking to bleed time off the clock there. The only time it makes sense to call a TO there is if you're trailing , the other team has the ball and you need to preserve as much time as possible.

Flasteel
09-15-2010, 05:14 PM

Hindsight? Like the author of this thread, I was screaming out loud at the poor decision.

It ain't hindsight slappy...it's insight.

I'm not sure what you mean by the execution, because the game situation was what it was. What I can tell you is that if Polamalu didn't make that interception, there's a good chance many more of you guys would suddenly see the light.

I swear...I feel like I'm arguing that 2+2=4 and there are a bunch of you who keep on coming up with 3 as the answer. It's mind-numbing.