PDA

View Full Version : 58.5%

Dee Dub
09-13-2010, 11:00 PM
....completions on 31-53, 384 yards 1 TD and 2 INT's in two career games all the while not really having much time with the Steelers first team offense...welll i say not bad.

And I think Dennis Dixon is going to get better. Problem is....I dont think many Steeler fans will ever be happy with him.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-13-2010, 11:22 PM
....completions on 31-53, 384 yards 1 TD and 2 INT's in two career games all the while not really having much time with the Steelers first team offense...welll i say not bad.

And I think Dennis Dixon is going to get better. Problem is....I dont think many Steeler fans will ever be happy with him.

$$$
He's only had two starts...and yet there are a lot of Steelers' fans saying he's never going to be all that good. I'm looking forward to these next couple of games. I expect to see improvement. Especially if BA will call plays that will allow him to play to his strengths.

Chadman
09-13-2010, 11:51 PM
58.3%, 36 attemps, 21 completions, 303 yards. 2 TD's, 0 INT's. Sacked 3 times. No fumbles. 1 rushing TD.

Or...

56.3%, 135 attempts, 76 completions, 1034 yards. 8 TD's, 4 INT's. Sacked 5 times. 3 fumbles. 1 rushing TD.

Both those stat lines 'are not bad' too.

They would be the stat lines for the other 2 Steeler QB's (Steeler stats only) that could have filled in for Ben.

Just a hint- Byron is the first one..just not the YPC for Leftwich to Dixon...

To consistantly play up one players abilities without acknowledging his peers is a one sided argument- all the Steeler back-up QB's had a legit claim to fill in for Ben.

Slapstick
09-13-2010, 11:58 PM
58.3%, 36 attemps, 21 completions, 303 yards. 2 TD's, 0 INT's. Sacked 3 times. No fumbles. 1 rushing TD.

Or...

56.3%, 135 attempts, 76 completions, 1034 yards. 8 TD's, 4 INT's. Sacked 5 times. 3 fumbles. 1 rushing TD.

They would be the stat lines for the other 2 Steeler QB's (Steeler stats only) that could have filled in for Ben.

To consistantly play up one players abilities without acknowledging his peers is a one sided argument- all the Steeler back-up QB's had a legit claim to fill in for Ben.

Be that as it may, the other players are not filling in for Ben...furthermore, a comparison to other players does not negate the original point...

stlrz d
09-14-2010, 12:00 AM
Stats schmats.

hawaiiansteel
09-14-2010, 12:04 AM
I like Dennis Dixon and am glad he is our 3rd string QB! :tt2

Chadman
09-14-2010, 12:20 AM

Or...

Be that as it may, the other players are not filling in for Ben...furthermore, a comparison to other players does not negate the original point...

Not disrespecting Dixon or his achievements at all- he's doing well.

The original point was 2-fold- Dixon is doing 'not bad'- agreed, and Steeler fans won't be happy with his achievements- disagreed. Chadman was simply pointing out that there is always another side to an argument- those that feel Batch or Leftwich had a better claim to the QB role are equally justified.

JTP53609
09-14-2010, 07:29 AM
he just needs to work on his touch...he threw a gorgeous deep ball to wallace and I know he can run (even though we did not see it much). But he had 3 balls that should have been picked off and all three were because he lacked the touch necessary to get it over the defender in coverage.....

steelfin
09-14-2010, 07:56 AM
I like Dennis Dixon and am glad he is our 3rd string QB! :tt2

:Agree

Oviedo
09-14-2010, 08:06 AM

I think that his stats tell you exactly what he is and will be. A decent back up QB in the NFL. It has nothing to do with like or dislike. It's just that many of us see him as a QB who will not be a full-time starter in this league which he has done nothing to disprove yet.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-14-2010, 08:07 AM
They should take 'BATCH' & 'LEFTWICH' off the back of each QB's jersey and replace it with 'FRAGILE'.

Dixon will improve. How did Ben look some of those games his first year starting?

stlrz d
09-14-2010, 08:10 AM
They should take 'BATCH' & 'LEFTWICH' off the back of each QB's jersey and replace it with 'FRAGILE'.

Dixon will improve. How did Ben look some of those games his first year starting?

Ben looked like a guy who could make ALL the throws.

That's how Ben looked his first year.

frankthetank1
09-14-2010, 08:17 AM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":3swk2wb4]They should take 'BATCH' & 'LEFTWICH' off the back of each QB's jersey and replace it with 'FRAGILE'.

That's how Ben looked his first year.[/quote:3swk2wb4]

there is no comparison between a young ben and dixon now. however ben his first couple of years looked like crap compared to ben now. in the playoffs his rookie season ben didnt play well at all. dixon will improve, he is still pretty young. dixon will never be half as good as ben but he could still be a great back up to have for many years. that is pretty important. having a backup like batch for all these years has been nice.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-14-2010, 08:27 AM
The encouraging thing about Dixon's play on Sunday was that all of his off target throws were in the ground (low). Even his int was because the line was low. He missed a wide open WR, so at least he had the right read. Remember Ben's INT in his first SB? That's were this is going. Now, those of us who have been around football and beginner/young QBs know that you would want to see the off target throws in the dirt rather than the QB going high or wide. When a throw's horizontal accuracy is on but the vertical was low, it is usually mechanics with the feet or the QB aiming the ball. In a young QB, this flaw goes on the side of nerves. Being that this was his second start in regular season, I'm betting on this. This should get better with some playing time...The questions is how fast does it come.

To give an example, McNabb has been guilty of this in some big games or when he is under fire. He is a seasoned vet but in his past he has done this. Some get past it and some don't. McNabb's last two games as an Eagle against the Cowboy's showed he still gets flustered and balls were bouncing into receivers. Still hasn't overcome that when he needs to.

Oviedo
09-14-2010, 08:36 AM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":1r23q5a0]They should take 'BATCH' & 'LEFTWICH' off the back of each QB's jersey and replace it with 'FRAGILE'.

there is no comparison between a young ben and dixon now. however ben his first couple of years looked like crap compared to ben now. in the playoffs his rookie season ben didnt play well at all. dixon will improve, he is still pretty young. dixon will never be half as good as ben but he could still be a great back up to have for many years. that is pretty important. having a backup like batch for all these years has been nice.[/quote:1r23q5a0]

Key point is that a crappy Ben looked better than Dixon at his best. Ben clearly had everything and even early you believed that Ben could go out and win a game through his efforts. Haven't seen anything from Dixon that indicates he can put the offense on his back and win a game.

Djfan
09-14-2010, 08:55 AM
I don't get the point of this thread.

DD is the man. Sounds easy to me.

I would have handled it differently than Tomlin did, but I'm not the coach.

Go DD!!

MaxAMillion
09-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Dixon is a very good 3rd string QB. I don't know what people expect from a back up QB. I don't know many teams that can win anything with their 3rd string QB playing.

I was praying for a 2-2 start with Dixon at QB. Hopefully Dixon makes that happen.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-14-2010, 09:18 AM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":315zi9on]They should take 'BATCH' & 'LEFTWICH' off the back of each QB's jersey and replace it with 'FRAGILE'.

there is no comparison between a young ben and dixon now. however ben his first couple of years looked like crap compared to ben now. in the playoffs his rookie season ben didnt play well at all. dixon will improve, he is still pretty young. dixon will never be half as good as ben but he could still be a great back up to have for many years. that is pretty important. having a backup like batch for all these years has been nice.

Key point is that a crappy Ben looked better than Dixon at his best. Ben clearly had everything and even early you believed that Ben could go out and win a game through his efforts. Haven't seen anything from Dixon that indicates he can put the offense on his back and win a game.[/quote:315zi9on]

How do you know we've seen Dixon at his best? He only has two starts! That's like saying, after Lawrence Timmons had played two games, "A crappy Farrior looks better than Timmons at his best." Come on. Of course Ben looks superior. Chances are he always will. Chances are Dixon will never rise to the level Ben has. Nobody is saying Dixon will be an elite QB. But I'm not ready to write Dixon off already, and say he's not starter material, and say he is unable to put an offense on his back and win a game. Way too early to make that pronouncement.

The play of one Terry Bradshaw looked pretty crappy for quite a while, as I recall. He turned out to be an OK starting QB, I think (I know many are down on him because of some things he has said, but that doesn't negate what he accomplished on the field).

proudpittsburgher
09-14-2010, 09:18 AM
I don't think there are too many people who are sayign he sucks, rather who gives us the best chance to win the four games until Ben comes back. Make no mistake, the defense won that game on Sunday. DD played OK, that's about all I can say about it.

feltdizz
09-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Dixon is 1-0 this year. I'm good with that.

feltdizz
09-14-2010, 09:32 AM
I don't think there are too many people who are sayign he sucks, rather who gives us the best chance to win the four games until Ben comes back. Make no mistake, the defense won that game on Sunday. DD played OK, that's about all I can say about it.

The D won most of our games in 2008. They won the Viking game last year.

They won the GB game when Batch started in Green Bay.

I'm fine with that.

Oviedo
09-14-2010, 09:39 AM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":1bz9qmzm]They should take 'BATCH' & 'LEFTWICH' off the back of each QB's jersey and replace it with 'FRAGILE'.

Key point is that a crappy Ben looked better than Dixon at his best. Ben clearly had everything and even early you believed that Ben could go out and win a game through his efforts. Haven't seen anything from Dixon that indicates he can put the offense on his back and win a game.

How do you know we've seen Dixon at his best? He only has two starts! That's like saying, after Lawrence Timmons had played two games, "A crappy Farrior looks better than Timmons at his best." Come on. Of course Ben looks superior. Chances are he always will. Chances are Dixon will never rise to the level Ben has. Nobody is saying Dixon will be an elite QB. But I'm not ready to write Dixon off already, and say he's not starter material, and say he is unable to put an offense on his back and win a game. Way too early to make that pronouncement.

The play of one Terry Bradshaw looked pretty crappy for quite a while, as I recall. He turned out to be an OK starting QB, I think (I know many are down on him because of some things he has said, but that doesn't negate what he accomplished on the field).[/quote:1bz9qmzm]

Obviously a long term discussion but I'm pretty confident that in the next four games Dixon will not carry this team to victories (now Dixon supporters can insert templated blame on Arians) and I'm equally confident that 5 years from now he won't be leading a team to the play offs as a starter.

Just being realistic about a QB who has been in a system for three years and still doesn't seem to be comfortable (insert blame Arians again). I think he will have a long career in the NFL as a back up QB. Good living so definitely not hating on the guy.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-14-2010, 09:45 AM

I'm fine with that.

A win is a win. That's what's most important. The D won that game on Sunday (the D has won more than a couple of the games Ben has played). None of that means that DD will prove to be a sucky QB, a mediocre QB, or a very good one. It's his second frikkin' start!

I've not forgotten how many on these boards labeled Polamalu a bust in his rookie season, and how many wrote off Timmons early in his career. I'm willing to give DD a few games yet before I declare my verdict on him.

feltdizz
09-14-2010, 09:51 AM

I'm fine with that.

A win is a win. That's what's most important. The D won that game on Sunday (the D has won more than a couple of the games Ben has played). None of that means that DD will prove to be a sucky QB, a mediocre QB, or a very good one. It's his second frikkin' start!

I've not forgotten how many on these boards labeled Polamalu a bust in his rookie season, and how many wrote off Timmons early in his career. I'm willing to give DD a few games yet before I declare my verdict on him.

He had a good game and will get better IMO. I wish we would let DD play his game instead of making him a pocket passer. However it's not like we are trying to groom him to take over for Ben. We just need 3 more victories.

RuthlessBurgher
09-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Dixon is 1-0 this year. I'm good with that.

Yup. During this first month, style points don't matter to me whatsoever. Don't care what we look like out there as long as we add another under the "W" column. That's the only stat that matters. I'll take an ugly win every time. I'm not overly concerned about Dixon's stat line whether it were horrible or awesome, as long as we are racking up the wins. If his stats happen to improve along the way, I'll take that as well, because it could potentially improve the draft compensation we might get if we were to trade him in the future, but right now, all of that stuff is gravy, and is secondary to doing whatever it takes to get the dubya.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-14-2010, 10:45 AM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":g6pug5r3]They should take 'BATCH' & 'LEFTWICH' off the back of each QB's jersey and replace it with 'FRAGILE'.

That's how Ben looked his first year.[/quote:g6pug5r3]

Don't get me wrong in this, I love Ben as our QB, but I saw a lot of picks and a lot of forced passes and a lot of 6 going the other way Ben's rookie year.

Slapstick
09-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Don't get me wrong in this, I love Ben as our QB, but I saw a lot of picks and a lot of forced passes and a lot of 6 going the other way Ben's rookie year.

Not in his rookie year...

Ben's rookie year, the Steelers went 15-1...

2006, on the other hand...

Mister Pittsburgh
09-14-2010, 11:03 AM

I honestly think i would take dixon over mark sanchez. that dude looks pathetic.

ikestops85
09-14-2010, 11:07 AM
The thing I liked most about DD in the game was he made the correct read on most of the plays. He was a very accurate QB in college so I think with experience his throws will not be so low to the receivers.

In my opinion the game he played was very Kordell like. He made some great throws like the ones to Wallace and Hines on the sidelines. He made some off target throws where the receiver had to go to the ground to catch instead of receiving it in stride and then he made some bad throws straight to a defender or into the ground.

All in all I think he will make some improvement next week and continue to improve each week he plays. The guy has talent but like all QBs that can run he worries that he will be known as a runner and not a passer so he stays in the pocket a little long. Hopefully in the near future he will relax enough and let his natural game instinct take over.

frankthetank1
09-14-2010, 11:24 AM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":31964gy6]They should take 'BATCH' & 'LEFTWICH' off the back of each QB's jersey and replace it with 'FRAGILE'.

Key point is that a crappy Ben looked better than Dixon at his best. Ben clearly had everything and even early you believed that Ben could go out and win a game through his efforts. Haven't seen anything from Dixon that indicates he can put the offense on his back and win a game.[/quote:31964gy6]

i would never compare dixon with ben. even ben as a rookie is light years ahead of dixon now, but few qb's have instant success like ben did. few qb's are better or as good as ben. my point is dixon will improve as he matures. ben has improved his game a ton since he was a rookie.

frankthetank1
09-14-2010, 11:26 AM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":2mc0bmkp]Don't get me wrong in this, I love Ben as our QB, but I saw a lot of picks and a lot of forced passes and a lot of 6 going the other way Ben's rookie year.

I honestly think i would take dixon over mark sanchez. that dude looks pathetic.[/quote:2mc0bmkp]

i would take dixon over sanchez as well. i dont think there has been a more overrated qb in the history of the nfl. i thought the hype about eli was bad, this is out of hand. i would say sanchez is as good as brady quinn.

RuthlessBurgher
09-14-2010, 12:49 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":1m8ssl8e]Don't get me wrong in this, I love Ben as our QB, but I saw a lot of picks and a lot of forced passes and a lot of 6 going the other way Ben's rookie year.

I honestly think i would take dixon over mark sanchez. that dude looks pathetic.

i would take dixon over sanchez as well. i dont think there has been a more overrated qb in the history of the nfl. i thought the hype about eli was bad, this is out of hand. i would say sanchez is as good as brady quinn.[/quote:1m8ssl8e]

Yeah, USC is supposed to be this QB factory recently, right? Mark Sanchez sucks. Matt Leinart sucks. Matt Cassel, who was a backup at USC, at least had one solid season with New England (throwing 21 TD's to the same guys who caught 50 TD's from Brady the previous season), but he pretty much sucks now too. Carson Palmer had a couple of good seasons in 05-06, but has otherwise been pretty average.

sentinel33
09-14-2010, 12:51 PM
i was very surprised at the lack of rushing yards that Dennis Dixon had against the Falcons. I didnt get to watch the game, sadly, so i dont know the situations he was in throughout the contest. But i feel the coaching staff needs to construct a game plan that more suits DD's style of play. And that means more running. The kid has a fantastic set off legs. We need to use them to our advantage. Yes, it does increase the risk of injury. But at this point we need to care less about what might happen and more on what we can control. Bruce Arians needs to get more creative in the game planning and play calling. Personally, it's a reflection of his abilitys as an offensive coordinator if he cant design an offensive scheme that will play to the skills of the man behind center. This team is full of savvy veterans that should be able to bend with new plays created for Dixon. He needs plays where he can be successful and get positive yardage from. That will boost the kids confidence and allow him to grow as a quarterback. Look forward to seeing what wrinkles BA puts into the game plan against the Titans. I like BA. I'm not sure if he is any kind of defensive genius like Lebeau is. Currently he cant hold Dicks jock. Need to see more from him and he has an opportunity to do that now with Dixon. If he cant handle that then we should go shopping for new blood at offensive coordinator spot.

RuthlessBurgher
09-14-2010, 01:03 PM
i was very surprised at the lack of rushing yards that Dennis Dixon had against the Falcons. I didnt get to watch the game, sadly, so i dont know the situations he was in throughout the contest. But i feel the coaching staff needs to construct a game plan that more suits DD's style of play. And that means more running. The kid has a fantastic set off legs. We need to use them to our advantage. Yes, it does increase the risk of injury. But at this point we need to care less about what might happen and more on what we can control. Bruce Arians needs to get more creative in the game planning and play calling. Personally, it's a reflection of his abilitys as an offensive coordinator if he cant design an offensive scheme that will play to the skills of the man behind center. This team is full of savvy veterans that should be able to bend with new plays created for Dixon. He needs plays where he can be successful and get positive yardage from. That will boost the kids confidence and allow him to grow as a quarterback. Look forward to seeing what wrinkles BA puts into the game plan against the Titans. I like BA. I'm not sure if he is any kind of defensive genius like Lebeau is. Currently he cant hold Dicks jock. Need to see more from him and he has an opportunity to do that now with Dixon. If he cant handle that then we should go shopping for new blood at offensive coordinator spot.

I think we differ when it comes to what constitutes a fantastic set of legs. :P

http://realwomensfitness.com/images/uploads/2007/05/toned-sexy-legs.JPG

sentinel33
09-14-2010, 01:34 PM
I stand corrected:)

Dee Dub
09-14-2010, 02:06 PM
I think that his stats tell you exactly what he is and will be. A decent back up QB in the NFL. It has nothing to do with like or dislike. It's just that many of us see him as a QB who will not be a full-time starter in this league which he has done nothing to disprove yet.

How is that? Based on two games?

With that logic you would have said Terry Bradshaw was never going to amount to anything oh say what after his first 4 years in the league?? :wink:

Makes no sense. None what so ever.

Dee Dub
09-14-2010, 02:22 PM
Dixon is a very good 3rd string QB. I don't know what people expect from a back up QB. I don't know many teams that can win anything with their 3rd string QB playing.

I was praying for a 2-2 start with Dixon at QB. Hopefully Dixon makes that happen.

I disagree. I think eventually Dixon will be an above average starter in the NFL. Not with the Steelers but somewhere.

I saw enough of him at Oregon that convinces me of this.

cruzer8
09-14-2010, 04:39 PM
I predict that Dixon will never be a regular NFL starter. This is based on what I have seen of him in pre and regular season NFL.

pepsyman1
09-14-2010, 05:09 PM
At this point, we know what Byron and Charlie are. They have had opportunities to be starters, they have career stats, there are no surprises there or anything we really have to learn. Either one is capable of playing respectably as our back up QB. (and both HAVE done that successfully in the past) Dennis Dixon is a little different. He is still developing, we don't know what he will ultimately be able to do. Although there is a part of me that would feel very comfy having either of the other 2 QB's in there I think it would make our offense fairly predictable. I'm willing to give Dennis the shot and hope the BA will make use of his strengths and see what he can do. In two starts he's shown a good enough head to keep his mistakes down and I think he has much more potential upside than the other two. Turn him loose Bruce!

feltdizz
09-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Dixon came from a spread offense. How many spread QB's have had success in the NFL?

Dixon is fine... he was injured before his rookie season and given the offense he almost won a Heisman with he is doing a great job.

I don't care what the experts on here think because he is starting again this week and we are undefeated. Most of the experts on here had the ATL game as a loss.