PDA

View Full Version : The Bus nominated for HOF

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-13-2010, 09:28 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10256/10 ... eelers.xml (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10256/1087269-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml)

Bettis, Dawson among Steelers nominated for NFL Hall of Fame
Monday, September 13, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Halfback Jerome Bettis joins his former center Dermontti Dawson to headline a handful of Steelers nominated for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2011.

Bettis is among a trio of star running backs eligible for induction for the first time. The others are Marshall Faulk and Curtis Martin.

Dawson was among the finalists for the Hall of Fame last year, making it to the final 10.

Other former Steelers on the list are safety Donnie Shell, linebacker Kevin Greene, kicker Gary Anderson, coach Buddy Parker, defensive coordinator Bud Carson, player personnel head Art Rooney Jr. and scout Bill Nunn.

The 113 modern-era nominees will be whittled to 25 semifinalists in November and then 15 finalists. They will join two seniors nominees, former Washington Redskins linebacker Chris Hanburger and former Los Angeles Rams linebacker Les Richter, to be eligible for the next Hall of Fame Class, which will be chosen Feb. 5.

The nominees:
First-year eligible

Running backs -- Jerome Bettis, Marshall Faulk, Curtis Martin

Wide receiver -- Jimmy Smith

Offensive lineman -- Willie Roaf (T)

Cornerback -- Deion Sanders (also KR/PR)

Coach -- Dick Vermeil

Additional nominees:

Quarterbacks -- Ken Anderson, Jim Plunkett, Phil Simms, Doug Williams

Running backs -- Ottis Anderson, Larry Centers, *Roger Craig, Terrell Davis, Eddie George, Brian Mitchell (also KR/PR), Gerald Riggs, Herschel Walker, Ricky Watters

Wide receivers -- *-Tim Brown, *-Cris Carter, Gary Clark, Henry Ellard, Herman Moore, Stanley Morgan, Mike Quick, *Andre Reed, J.T. Smith

Tight ends -- Mark Bavaro, Todd Christensen, Ben Coates, Russ Francis, Brent Jones, *-Shannon Sharpe, Frank Wycheck

Offensive linemen -- Bruce Armstrong (T), Tony Boselli (T), Lomas Brown (T), Jim Covert (T), *-Dermontti Dawson (C), Jay Hilgenberg (C), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull (C), Joe Jacoby (T), Mike Kenn (T), Jim Lachey(T), Steve Wisniewski (G)

Defensive linemen -- Al "Bubba" Baker (DE), Dave Butz (DE/DT), Ray Childress (DT/DE), *-Richard Dent (DE), Chris Doleman (DE/LB), *-Charles Haley (DE/LB), Ed "Too Tall" Jones (DE), *-Cortez Kennedy (DT), Joe Klecko (DE/DT/NT), Dexter Manley (DE), Charles Mann (DE), Fred Smerlas (NT)

Linebackers -- Cornelius Bennett, Kevin Greene (also DE), Ken Harvey, Clay Matthews, Karl Mecklenburg, Sam Mills, Darryl Talley

Defensive backs -- Eric Allen (CB), Steve Atwater (S), Bill Bates (S/ST), Joey Browner (S), LeRoy Butler (S), Kenny Easley (S), Lester Hayes (CB), Albert Lewis (CB), Frank Minnifield (CB), Donnie Shell (S), Aeneas Williams (CB/S), Darren Woodson (S), Louis Wright (CB)

Kickers/punters -- Gary Anderson (K), Ray Guy (P), Nick Lowery (K), Reggie Roby (P)

Special teams -- Steve Tasker (ST/WR)

Coaches -- Bud Carson, *Don Coryell, Tom Flores, Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox, Buddy Parker, Dan Reeves, Clark Shaughnessy

Contributors -- K.S. "Bud" Adams, Jr., Bobby Beathard, Leo Carlin, Jack Kent Cooke, Otho Davis, Edward DeBartolo, Jr., Ron Gibbs, Ole Haugsrud, Frank "Bucko" Kilroy, Art McNally, Art Modell, Bill Nunn, Joe Robbie, Art Rooney, Jr., Carroll Rosenbloom, Ed Sabol, Steve Sabol, Paul Tagliabue, Ron Wolf, George Young

*-On 2010 finalists list.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10256/10 ... z0zSkZqdTr (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10256/1087269-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz0zSkZqdTr)

papillon
09-14-2010, 09:52 AM
I'm still of the belief that no other players should be put in the HOF until Dirt Dawson gets his day. When you've been retired for as many years as he has and you're still considered (or, at least in the discussion) as the best at your position ever, no other player should be inducted until Dawson is inducted.

A player is a player regardless of position and Dawson is mentioned as GOAT at center a lot. How can you induct a player that isn't even in the discussion as the GOAT at his position before a player that is?

Pappy

Discipline of Steel
09-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Jimmy Smith?
Mike Quick?
Aeneas Williams?
Steve Tasker?

Are we talking about the Hall of Fame or Hall of Players Who Were Pretty Decent?

Captain Lemming
09-14-2010, 10:05 AM
I'm still of the belief that no other players should be put in the HOF until Dirt Dawson gets his day. When you've been retired for as many years as he has and you're still considered (or, at least in the discussion) as the best at your position ever, no other player should be inducted until Dawson is inducted.

A player is a player regardless of position and Dawson is mentioned as GOAT at center a lot. How can you induct a player that isn't even in the discussion as the GOAT at his position before a player that is?

Pappy

Agreed 100 percent. It is ironic though that most will say another Steeler, Webby is still the GOAT.

Wouldnt it be awesome though if the best anti Dawson comment is "he wasnt even the GOAT on the Steelers...... Pouncey is!!!!!

Bettis wont sniff the HOF for years regardless.

RuthlessBurgher
09-14-2010, 10:13 AM

Pappy

You could make the exact same argument for Ray Guy, but punters get no respect.

Slapstick
09-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Agreed 100 percent. It is ironic though that most will say another Steeler, Webby is still the GOAT.

Wouldnt it be awesome though if the best anti Dawson comment is "he wasnt even the GOAT on the Steelers...... Pouncey is!!!!!

You had me...

Bettis wont sniff the HOF for years regardless.

...and then you lost me...

When there are only 4 players who have rushed for more yards from scrimmage than you have, you are HoF worthy...

ramblinjim
09-14-2010, 11:13 AM
The fact that Chris Carter and Tim Brown are not in the HOF will make it really tough for Hines I'm afraid. And I think Hines should be a shoe-in.

papillon
09-14-2010, 11:40 AM

Pappy

You could make the exact same argument for Ray Guy, but punters get no respect.

And, I would make the exact same argument for Ray Guy. I don't like the Raiders as much as the next guy, but great is great and Ray Guy was probably the best at his position ever. Steve Tasker may fall into that category as well. Again, great is great, you shouldn't have to be a skill queer :P to get HOF love.

Pappy

rpmpit
09-15-2010, 09:45 AM
The fact that Chris Carter and Tim Brown are not in the HOF will make it really tough for Hines I'm afraid. And I think Hines should be a shoe-in.

Seems like the HOF likes championships. Brown and Carter have none. Hines has 2...so far :tt1 .

BTW, about Bettis, was he that much worse on Football Night in America than Rodney Harrison? Or was there some specific reason why NBC dumped him?

rpmpit
09-15-2010, 09:46 AM

Pappy

:Agree :Beer :tt2 :tt1

RuthlessBurgher
09-15-2010, 10:16 AM

Seems like the HOF likes championships. Brown and Carter have none. Hines has 2...so far :tt1 .

BTW, about Bettis, was he that much worse on Football Night in America than Rodney Harrison? Or was there some specific reason why NBC dumped him?

Rodney Harrison has the cojones to wear a Hitler mustache. No one has the guts to fire him.

http://www.sportsofboston.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/harrison.jpg

aggiebones
09-16-2010, 10:20 AM
The nominees:
First-year eligible
Running backs -- Jerome Bettis (3 years), Marshall Faulk (now), Curtis Martin(8-10 years)
Wide receiver -- Jimmy Smith (never)
Offensive lineman -- Willie Roaf (T) (1-3years)

Cornerback -- Deion Sanders (also KR/PR) (now)

Coach -- bad word Vermeil (10 years-never)

Additional nominees:

Quarterbacks -- Ken Anderson, Jim Plunkett (maybe some day), Phil Simms, Doug Williams (the rest = never)

Running backs -- Ottis Anderson, Larry Centers, *Roger Craig (3-5yrs), Terrell Davis, Eddie George, Brian Mitchell (also KR/PR), Gerald Riggs, Herschel Walker, Ricky Watters (rest = never)

Wide receivers -- *-Tim Brown (5-10yrs), *-Cris Carter(5-8yrs), Gary Clark, Henry Ellard, Herman Moore, Stanley Morgan, Mike Quick, *Andre Reed, J.T. Smith (rest = never)

Tight ends -- Mark Bavaro, Todd Christensen, Ben Coates, Russ Francis, Brent Jones, *-Shannon Sharpe (3-8 yrs), Frank Wycheck

Offensive linemen -- Bruce Armstrong (T), Tony Boselli (T), Lomas Brown (T), Jim Covert (T), *-Dermontti Dawson (C) (now dangit), Jay Hilgenberg (C), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull (C), Joe Jacoby (T), Mike Kenn (T), Jim Lachey(T), Steve Wisniewski (G) (tough to evaluate, maybe a few when they are elderly)

Defensive linemen -- Al "Bubba" Baker (DE), Dave Butz (DE/DT), Ray Childress (DT/DE), *-Richard Dent (DE), Chris Doleman (DE/LB), *-Charles Haley (DE/LB) (2-5yrs), Ed "Too Tall" Jones (DE), *-Cortez Kennedy (DT), Joe Klecko (DE/DT/NT), Dexter Manley (DE), Charles Mann (DE), Fred Smerlas (NT) (maybe 1 more)

Linebackers -- Cornelius Bennett, Kevin Greene (also DE) (not sure about him, maybe at some point), Ken Harvey, Clay Matthews, Karl Mecklenburg (5-10yrs), Sam Mills, Darryl Talley ( a few here that could sneak in)

Defensive backs -- Eric Allen (CB), Steve Atwater (S), Bill Bates (S/ST), Joey Browner (S), LeRoy Butler (S), Kenny Easley (S), Lester Hayes (CB), Albert Lewis (CB), Frank Minnifield (CB), Donnie Shell (S)(please some day), Aeneas Williams (CB/S), Darren Woodson (S), Louis Wright (CB) ( a few here that I really like, but had short careers)

(none) Kickers/punters -- Gary Anderson (K), Ray Guy (P), Nick Lowery (K), Reggie Roby (P)

Special teams -- Steve Tasker (ST/WR)

Coaches -- Bud Carson, *Don Coryell, Tom Flores, Jimmy Johnson (please no), Chuck Knox, Buddy Parker, Dan Reeves, Clark Shaughnessy

Contributors -- K.S. "Bud" Adams, Jr., Bobby Beathard, Leo Carlin, Jack Kent Cooke, Otho Davis, Edward DeBartolo, Jr., Ron Gibbs, Ole Haugsrud, Frank "Bucko" Kilroy, Art McNally, Art Modell, Bill Nunn, Joe Robbie, Art Rooney, Jr., Carroll Rosenbloom, Ed Sabol, Steve Sabol, Paul Tagliabue, Ron Wolf, George Young (eh, who cares)

*-On 2010 finalists list.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10256/10 ... z0zSkZqdTr (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10256/1087269-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz0zSkZqdTr)[/quote][/quote]

Slapstick
09-16-2010, 10:56 AM

Hines Ward postseason statistics: (I believe that it makes a difference with the HoF voters)

76 catches - 1064 yards - 8 TDs

Ward's post-season stats smoke both Cris Carter and Tim Brown...Carter played in the same number of postseason games as Ward, but has fewer receptions and yards by a pretty big margin (both have 8 TDs)...

I think that the postseason had a lot to do with Swann being elected into the HoF...Ward has great stats in both the regular season and the postseason...he has four Pro Bowls and a SB MVP award...

By the end of this year, Ward could top 1,000 catches and 12,000 yards...

Sugar
09-16-2010, 12:52 PM

Neither of them is a Super Bowl MVP though. While Hines has similar receiving stats he is also regarded as the best blocking WR in history. Those things alone should get him in.

ramblinjim
09-16-2010, 01:00 PM

Hines Ward postseason statistics: (I believe that it makes a difference with the HoF voters)

76 catches - 1064 yards - 8 TDs

Ward's post-season stats smoke both Cris Carter and Tim Brown...Carter played in the same number of postseason games as Ward, but has fewer receptions and yards by a pretty big margin (both have 8 TDs)...

I think that the postseason had a lot to do with Swann being elected into the HoF...Ward has great stats in both the regular season and the postseason...he has four Pro Bowls and a SB MVP award...

By the end of this year, Ward could top 1,000 catches and 12,000 yards...

Great stats, I didn't realize his were so good in the post season but not surprised.

aggiebones
09-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Don't forget that Ward isn't retired yet.
There is a decent list of WRs waiting, but likely one or both of those mentioned gets in before he even retires. He also has to wait 5 years, so those guys will be out of his way by then.
Art Monk took forever. Irvin got in WAAAY to fast.
It would also be good for Dawson and Bettis to get out of his way in line by getting in before he is eligible. They aren't going to put in a Steeler every year. It would be nice for Dawson to go NOW, then Bettis in a couple years about the time Ward retires.That would be a nice 5 year buffer before he's eligible. And no way does Hines go in on first ballot obviously. Hopefully its only a 5-7 year wait.

Slapstick
09-16-2010, 03:57 PM
And no way does Hines go in on first ballot obviously. Hopefully its only a 5-7 year wait.

Why is it so obvious?

Captain Lemming
09-16-2010, 04:41 PM
And no way does Hines go in on first ballot obviously. Hopefully its only a 5-7 year wait.

Why is it so obvious?
History.
Tell me how many receivers who have "NEVER" been 1st team all-pro or have "all-time NFL records" (not team records) get in on the first ballot?

It is "obvious" that "if" he gets in it wont be right away.

We have a 6-time all pro who didnt get in after several years. The undisputed best at his position for 6-seasons. Arguably the best center EVER.

At no point in his career would non-Steeler fans call Hines the best in the NFL for ONE SEASON.

Sugar
09-16-2010, 04:53 PM

Why is it so obvious?

I don't think it's obvious either. The man has more TD's, Yards, etc than two other Steelers that are already in. He also has a SB MVP, which is some major bling. On top of that, he's known as the best blocking WR in the game and one of the toughest ever. You don't have to have homer glasses on think that Hines may indeed be a first ballot guy.

Captain Lemming
09-16-2010, 05:30 PM

Why is it so obvious?

I don't think it's obvious either. The man has more TD's, Yards, etc than two other Steelers that are already in. He also has a SB MVP, which is some major bling. On top of that, he's known as the best blocking WR in the game and one of the toughest ever. You don't have to have homer glasses on think that Hines may indeed be a first ballot guy.

"Team" records mean nothing, when it comes to the HOF.

Earl Campbell HOF shoe in
Oiler/Titan franchise record holder Eddie George still waiting.

Did George deserve to be 1st ballot more than Campbell?

What of Wards SB MVP? Was he really all that outstanding? Nobody was all that great.
Stonio was much more impressive in the last SB.

Swanny had the most amazing SB display at receiver to date when he won MVP. He was considered "the best" at that time

Stallworth was NEVER MVP but MUCH better and more memorable in SBs than Hines. The last SB versus the RAMS Stallworth was ridiculous. He was considered "the best" during the late 70s into the early 80s.

Hines plays at a consistently high level over a very long time. He is without peer as a blocker. "Great" does not require giant career numbers (Swann, Campbell, Sayers). But you gotta have "elite" career numbers (Largent) if you are just "very good" over a long career. Even then you might hve to wait (Monk).

Dee Dub
09-16-2010, 07:18 PM

Pappy

I feel ya about Dirt but did you know there is another former Steeler player who is more deserving than Dawson who also isnt in the Hall of Fame??

Yep. Donnie Shell

He is in the top 5 at his position (SS), in most every defensive category.

51 career INT's, 19 career fumble recoveries, 4 Super Bowl rings, 5 time pro bowler

Captain Lemming
09-17-2010, 02:16 AM

Pappy

I feel ya about Dirt but did you know there is another former Steeler player who is more deserving than Dawson who also isnt in the Hall of Fame??

Yep. Donnie Shell

51 career INT's, 19 career fumble recoveries, 4 Super Bowl rings, 5 time pro bowler

Shell is deserving true.
But I Dawson is to centers what Ronnie Lott is to safeties

Slapstick
09-17-2010, 08:51 AM
"Team" records mean nothing, when it comes to the HOF.

Earl Campbell HOF shoe in
Oiler/Titan franchise record holder Eddie George still waiting.

Did George deserve to be 1st ballot more than Campbell?

What of Wards SB MVP? Was he really all that outstanding? Nobody was all that great.
Stonio was much more impressive in the last SB.

Swanny had the most amazing SB display at receiver to date when he won MVP. He was considered "the best" at that time

Stallworth was NEVER MVP but MUCH better and more memorable in SBs than Hines. The last SB versus the RAMS Stallworth was ridiculous. He was considered "the best" during the late 70s into the early 80s.

Hines plays at a consistently high level over a very long time. He is without peer as a blocker. "Great" does not require giant career numbers (Swann, Campbell, Sayers). But you gotta have "elite" career numbers (Largent) if you are just "very good" over a long career. Even then you might hve to wait (Monk).

But, I'm not referring to just SB performances...

I would argue that, not only does Hines have "elite" status statistically, but he is also one of the best and most consistent "big game" WRs in the history of the NFL...

In the postseason, Hines has comparable stats to both Swann and Stallworth, yet has played in fewer postseason games...he actually boasts a slightly better postseason career than Monk...

While it would not shock me if Hines isn't a first ballot HoFer, I don't think it's "obvious"...

Truthfully, at this point, there is nothing that the HoF voters do that shocks me anymore...

ramblinjim
09-17-2010, 09:09 AM
Slapstick:

While it would not shock me if Hines isn't a first ballot HoFer, I don't think it's "obvious"...

Truthfully, at this point, there is nothing that the HoF voters do that shocks me anymore...

:Clap

Yeah, I can't figure some things about HOF either. I know I'm a homer but Jerome Bettis, in my eyes, has the credentials to be a very early ballot Hall of Famer. 5th in Rushing? One of the best at his position for almost 10 years? Some SB Bling? In the words of ESPN "Come on Man...."

Dermotti Dawson? Donnie Shell? Really? I know Shell gets some "Hatin'" because of the teams he played on but he was a stud back there at Safety for a freakin' Decade.

Ok, Homer glasses come off.

ikestops85
09-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Slapstick:

:Clap

Yeah, I can't figure some things about HOF either. I know I'm a homer but Jerome Bettis, in my eyes, has the credentials to be a very early ballot Hall of Famer. 5th in Rushing? One of the best at his position for almost 10 years? Some SB Bling? In the words of ESPN "Come on Man...."

Dermotti Dawson? Donnie Shell? Really? I know Shell gets some "Hatin'" because of the teams he played on but he was a stud back there at Safety for a freakin' Decade.

Ok, Homer glasses come off.

Yeah, Donnie Shell was "The Man" back in the day. His hit on Earl Campbell at the goal line is still shown on ESPN. The amazing part was he was never drafted and that was back in the days that the draft went on forever. He retired with the most career interceptions for a safety and was a 4 time All-Pro. I always loved that guy. :tt2

Dee Dub
09-17-2010, 11:26 AM
[quote=papillon]I'm still of the belief that no other players should be put in the HOF until Dirt Dawson gets his day. When you've been retired for as many years as he has and you're still considered (or, at least in the discussion) as the best at your position ever, no other player should be inducted until Dawson is inducted.

Pappy

Yep. Donnie Shell

Shell is deserving true.
But I Dawson is to centers what Ronnie Lott is to safeties[/quote:13ghozx2]

Donnie Shell was the best SS of his era (‘70’s). And when Ronnie Lott came in (’81), he wasn’t a SS…he was a CB. And having said that, Lott is truly the greatest SS ever, but in my opinion Donnie Shell is right behind him at #2.

..and in my opinion, Mike Webster is #1 and Dermonti Dawson is #2. So Shell and Dawson aren’t as far apart as you imply. :wink:

Captain Lemming
09-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Donnie Shell was the best SS of his era (‘70’s). And when Ronnie Lott came in (’81), he wasn’t a SS…he was a CB. And having said that, Lott is truly the greatest SS ever, but in my opinion Donnie Shell is right behind him at #2.

..and in my opinion, Mike Webster is #1 and Dermonti Dawson is #2. So Shell and Dawson aren’t as far apart as you imply. :wink:

Come on now Donnie Shell number two all time?
Right now there is at least one strong safety that is "Head and Shoulders" above Shell. :lol: :lol:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I agree, Webster is better than Dawson....in reputation ONLY!!!!

By no measure was Webster better than Dawson.

Dawson did everything Webster did and more. Dawson did things Webster (or any other center for that matter) simply was incapable of doing.

PLUEEZZE dont talk about rings 'cause Hartwig has one and all he did was give THE CARDINALS two points and the ball in the SB because of the safety he caused.

Webster did what you expect of a center better than anybody up to his time.

Bigger stronger faster, Dawson revolutionized the position, and did things a center was never expected to do.

When the kid Pouncey blocks his man and consistently gets downfield to get another, people are reminder of ONE GUY. Dawson.

When Pouncey can get 30 yards downfield and take out a safety having already left a lineman and a linebacker in his wake, the comparison will be justified.

RuthlessBurgher
09-18-2010, 12:08 AM
I like that we can have a legit argument about where a current Steeler great like Troy Polamalu stacks up with other great Steelers safeties of the past like Donnie Shell and Carnell Lake.

As our new center gains more experience and has more success, I look forward to being about compare Maurkice Pouncey to great Steeler centers like Mike Webster and Dermontti Dawson at some point in the future.