PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone see the David Johnson block on the big run?

Captain Lemming
09-13-2010, 01:52 PM
I was looking at the highlights and he blocked his guy so ferociously, he pushed him back into a second defender and took both out of play. He shoved his man so violently the guy behind him went down. Is that an "assisted" pancake?

I have always liked this guy.

Question for you who saw the game:

Did we use a FB for most of the game?

SteelAbility
09-13-2010, 01:55 PM
I noticed in a replay today. Yep. Great *$$ kicking block. A 2fer! :tt2

Captain Lemming
09-13-2010, 02:25 PM
I was looking at the highlights and he blocked his guy so ferociously, he pushed him back into a second defender and took both out of play. He shoved his man so violently the guy behind him went down. Is that an "assisted" pancake?

I have always liked this guy.

Repeat:

Iron Shiek
09-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Johnson gets a lot of credit, but on the same token, Hines as usual,pushing his guy outside to create the other side of that seal with Johnson was big as well. Perfect hole for Rashard to run through. Loved seeing that.

skyhawk
09-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Great block by Johnson. But the other defender took himself out of the play. He had contain to the outside and Mendy took it inside. The defender then got picked off. And, another bad angle by the free safety that almost caught Mendy at the end.

And it all started off with NINE players in the box. Overall a poor defensive effort by Atlanta.

pepsyman1
09-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Hey Captain
In answer to your question, we used a FB for a sizable portion of the game but not most of the game. There was a another sizable chunk that we used Arians' "pony" backfield with two backs but neither really lined up as a FB.

steelblood
09-13-2010, 03:35 PM
The hole run began with Essex (yes Essex) crumpling the DT like soda can. The guy went down in a heap. Heath, Hines, and Adams each got significant movement. Johnson came in with a head of steam and cleaned up the rest. It truly was a beautiful play.

ikestops85
09-13-2010, 03:59 PM
I think Essex has been playing better than most give him credit for. Especially in the run blocking. Flotel, Essex and Pouncey have done a good job getting a push on the D'line and opening some nice holes for the running backs.

and just to stay on topic ... Johnson got a nice two'fer on his block. What a play :tt2

Discipline of Steel
09-13-2010, 06:28 PM
I think Essex has been playing better than most give him credit for. Especially in the run blocking. Flotel, Essex and Pouncey have done a good job getting a push on the D'line and opening some nice holes for the running backs.

and just to stay on topic ... Johnson got a nice two'fer on his block. What a play :tt2

Yeah, i noticed we werent getting anything on runs to the left. Our right side was the money.

jj28west
09-13-2010, 07:16 PM
In the boxscore and many highlight reels you will see the Mendy run blasting through the line for an overtime TD. Crap, even the rest of the team jumped all over him with emotion. Then you do a retake and see that thing of beauty by DJ & the right size mauling the defense. I am just as in awe of the block as the 50 yard scamper.

There was a time where I would only notice and praise the end result like the TD but really could not comprehend are cared to understand why the execution was so successful.

Discipline of Steel
09-13-2010, 07:32 PM
I went back and looked at some stats...the right and middle of the line were actually not that good <3yrd average. Left side was a 4 yrd average. He did his best running to the edges, even if you remove the 50 yrd run. No runs on 3rd down but Redman had three.