PDA

View Full Version : Steelers need to…….

Dee Dub
09-13-2010, 01:29 PM
...…get the ball into their biggest play makers hands. I love Hines and I love Heath Miller however neither one of these has the explosiveness of Mike Wallace. Some how some way they need to get the ball into his hands more that twice a game. Slants, bubble screens, skinny post, reverse, etc., etc. He has big play ability like no one else on this football team. By doing this, two things are sure to happen. One, it will increase the teams chances of scoring touchdowns (and until Ben gets back this looks to be an issue), and two it will open up that deep route for Wallace. Teams are eventually not going to be playing him close to the line of scrimmage but if they start trying to get him the ball underneath this may help him on the deep route.

Crash
09-13-2010, 01:34 PM
I don't think Dixon has the skill to consistently throw a slant. So that hurts.

Dee Dub
09-13-2010, 02:27 PM
I don't think Dixon has the skill to consistently throw a slant. So that hurts.

He's the best we got right now Crash..so we are going to have to deal with it.

But it makes sense to get the ball into Wallace hands more. How ever we do it.

I'd rather him get 6 receptions than Hines Ward. The odds are greater he will do more with it than Hines or any other Steeler receiver will do.

Iron Shiek
09-13-2010, 02:33 PM
I think what Crash is saying is that they tried, and failed. Wallace had 6 targets...so its not like they completely ignored him all game. Plus I think Ward/Miller give Dixon a bit of a security blanket on those short catch and run type plays.

But I agree with you, I'd love to see him get the ball into his hands...not thrown at his feet.

Dee Dub
09-13-2010, 02:35 PM
I think what Crash is saying is that they tried, and failed. Wallace had 6 targets...so its not like they completely ignored him all game. Plus I think Ward/Miller give Dixon a bit of a security blanket on those short catch and run type plays.

But I agree with you, I'd love to see him get the ball into his hands...not thrown at his feet.

The bubble screen is an easy pitch and catch for any QB/WR tandem. You get him outside with Hines leading the way on blocks and this has Big Play all over it.

Iron Shiek
09-13-2010, 02:38 PM
[quote="Iron Shiek":8145t6ad]I think what Crash is saying is that they tried, and failed. Wallace had 6 targets...so its not like they completely ignored him all game. Plus I think Ward/Miller give Dixon a bit of a security blanket on those short catch and run type plays.

The bubble screen is an easy pitch and catch for any QB/WR tandem. You get him outside with Hines leading the way on blocks and this has Big Play all over it.[/quote:8145t6ad]

I'd love to see that. A few years back that was a huge play in our arsenal back when we had ARE the first time, not so much recently.

I was actually surprised to see how much they were targeting El. He put in some work.

Slapstick
09-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Hines averaged 17 yards per catch...

That's pretty damn awesome...

Dee Dub
09-13-2010, 02:53 PM

That's great but Wallace still has bigger play ability. He can take it to the house every time he touches the ball. You cant say that about any other receiver the Steelers have.

cruzer8
09-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Steelers need to…….steady the ship until Ben returns. There should be absolutely no doubt about who our QB will be when the suspension is over.

RussBII
09-13-2010, 03:38 PM
Steelers need to…….steady the ship until Ben returns. There should be absolutely no doubt about who our QB will be when the suspension is over.

Money. Whatever it takes to eke out some wins while Ben is gone.

Dixon's throwing the ball into the dirt was driving me nuts. Absolutely nuts. I'd be happy with a few deep, uncatchable balls to keep them honest, lots of running and lots of screen plays, provided Dixon can keep it out of the dirt.

feltdizz
09-13-2010, 03:40 PM

there never was any doubt... it was just off season banter until the opening kick off.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Steelers need to get Dixon moving around more, take advantage of his ability to run with the football. Give him some plays that help him play to his strengths.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Steelers need to get Dixon moving around more, take advantage of his ability to run with the football. Give him some plays that help him play to his strengths.

papillon
09-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Dixon can't make the throws necessary to get Wallace the ball; deep outs, any type of post pattern is high risk due to inexperience, the fly pattern and in particular if a team is playing cover 2 or giving safety help to the corner. The Steelers need to beat Tampa in a couple weeks that will be a big game for them. It's their chance at 2-2 over the first four. I can't see them beating the Titans or the Ravens with Dixon.

You guys are talking about opening up the playbook and Dixon just struggled in a game with a rather limited playbook. What did anyone see that leads you to believe that Dixon would be able to get on the same page with the receivers and use the depth of the playbook?

Pappy

Discipline of Steel
09-13-2010, 10:31 PM

That's great but Wallace still has bigger play ability. He can take it to the house every time he touches the ball. You cant say that about any other receiver the Steelers have.

Mike Wallace has the speed to get behind defenses but he is not known for picking his way through defenders. Id prefer to have someone like Mendenhall..or maybe Dixon haha...handle that play. In fact Hines Ward had a nice one in the Falcon game.

Dee Dub
09-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Dixon can't make the throws necessary to get Wallace the ball; deep outs, any type of post pattern is high risk due to inexperience, the fly pattern and in particular if a team is playing cover 2 or giving safety help to the corner. The Steelers need to beat Tampa in a couple weeks that will be a big game for them. It's their chance at 2-2 over the first four. I can't see them beating the Titans or the Ravens with Dixon.

You guys are talking about opening up the playbook and Dixon just struggled in a game with a rather limited playbook. What did anyone see that leads you to believe that Dixon would be able to get on the same page with the receivers and use the depth of the playbook?

Pappy

Uhhhh....I saw 18-26 for 236 yards in a young QB's second career start ever. Which when you see what a Marc Sanchez did tonight should leave you some what impressed. And no one is suggesting "openning up" the playbook. All of these passes I have suggested are normal pass routes and throws for any NFL QB. The bubble screen and slant are high percentage throws. And all of these plays are all in the current Steelers playbook. For goodness sakes I even suggested an end around reverse. Hardly opening up the playbook. Steelers usually run two of those a game anyways.

BURGH86STEEL
09-13-2010, 10:57 PM

Pappy

How can anyone outside of the coaches know what Dixon's strengths are at this point? It's even more difficult for fans to make that determination after only starting 2 games. His strengths are an assumption based on what exactly? He has good mobility and speed. That does not mean he can throw well or make good decisions on the move.

I believe they made the right decision with Dixon. Started off with short throws to build his confidence. They gave him easy throws most of the game. He had some problems executing those throws. Rolling Dixon or moving the pocket won't do any good unless Dixon can make the necessary throws from the pocket.

Slapstick
09-13-2010, 11:05 PM
Didn't Dixon hit Wallace on a 52 yard pass play?

How many of those per game do you think any NFL defense is typically going to give up?

Dee Dub
09-13-2010, 11:05 PM

Pappy

How can anyone outside of the coaches know what Dixon's strengths are at this point? It's even more difficult for fans to make that determination after only starting 2 games. His strengths are an assumption based on what exactly? He has good mobility and speed. That does not mean he can throw well or make good decisions on the move.

I believe they made the right decision with Dixon. Started off with short throws to build his confidence. They gave him easy throws most of the game. He had some problems executing those throws. Rolling Dixon or moving the pocket won't do any good unless Dixon can make the necessary throws from the pocket.

Well I saw almost all of his games at Oregon and I can tell you he can throw the ball. And he can consistantly make most of all the throws. Problem right now is confidence. If he can get some established I think he is going to surprise a lot of doubters.

66.3, 61.2, and 67.7% pass completion percentage at Oregon speaks for itself.

papillon
09-13-2010, 11:07 PM

Pappy

It's my opinion about Dixon. I don't think he makes decisions quick enough to throw the deep out or the seam patterns. If you're late on either of those throws you're intercepted by an NFL level corner back or safety. If you move the pocket you eliminate half of the field, because, Dixon shouldn't be throwing back across his body when moving the pocket. He's a typical young NFL quarterback.

Dixon didn't show the ability to make a throw before a receiver was open and that's too late in the NFL. He'll get better and probably be a good quarterback in this league, just not this year, IMO.

I don't know his strengths or weaknesses only what I see on TV. I didn't see anything to give me the impression that Arians has any confidence in Dixon's ability to throw the ball downfield to Wallace or any other WR.

Pappy

Dee Dub
09-13-2010, 11:12 PM

Pappy

It's my opinion about Dixon. I don't think he makes decisions quick enough to throw the deep out or the seam patterns. If you're late on either of those throws you're intercepted by an NFL level corner back or safety. If you move the pocket you eliminate half of the field, because, Dixon shouldn't be throwing back across his body when moving the pocket. He's a typical young NFL quarterback.

Dixon didn't show the ability to make a throw before a receiver was open and that's too late in the NFL. He'll get better and probably be a good quarterback in this league, just not this year, IMO.

I don't know his strengths or weaknesses only what I see on TV. I didn't see anything to give me the impression that Arians has any confidence in Dixon's ability to throw the ball downfield to Wallace or any other WR.

Pappy

Pap, he completed 18 passes against a descent defense in only his second career start. Give him a break. It's all about his confidence. When he gets it built up he wil show a lot more than what has been seen. Did you ever see him at Oregon? He made the throws you dont think he can make. Yes I know it was college but he showed the arm strength and the enough zip on the ball to translate into being able to get it there at the NFl level.

Slapstick
09-13-2010, 11:13 PM
I repeat:

Didn't Dixon hit Wallace on a 52 yard pass?

papillon
09-13-2010, 11:15 PM

Pappy

Uhhhh....I saw 18-26 for 236 yards in a young QB's second career start ever. Which when you see what a Marc Sanchez did tonight should leave you some what impressed. And no one is suggesting "openning up" the playbook. All of these passes I have suggested are normal pass routes and throws for any NFL QB. The bubble screen and slant are high percentage throws. And all of these plays are all in the current Steelers playbook. For goodness sakes I even suggested an end around reverse. Hardly opening up the playbook. Steelers usually run two of those a game anyways.

Mark Sanchez doesn't play for the Steelers; so, I don't care if he's good, bad or indifferent. I saw 18-26 and never had confidence that a third down was going to be converted if the distance was over 6 or 7 yards. I saw balls at receivers feet, a couple late throws that should have been intercepted and game well managed to keep the Steelers in the game with a chance to win and they did. This is what to expect from the Steelers for the next three weeks.

The Steelers success over the first four games will be determined by the defense, special teams and running game. If the Steelers need Dixon to bring them back from more than a 10 point deficit it will be very difficult and even at 10 points it will be a long road.

I don't have anything against Dixon I'm just commenting on what I saw. The player Dixon should be leaning on is Heath Miller. A good tight end is a young quarterback's best friend. The Steelers have a good one, he should be the security blanket for Dixon.

Pappy

papillon
09-13-2010, 11:23 PM

Pappy

Pappy

Pap, he completed 18 passes against a descent defense in only his second career start. Give him a break. It's all about his confidence. When he gets it built up he wil show a lot more than what has been seen. Did you ever see him at Oregon? He made the throws you dont think he can make. Yes I know it was college but he showed the arm strength and the enough zip on the ball to translate into being able to get it there at the NFl level.

I hope you're right, but I just don't expect Dixon to be very successful. His decision making process seems to be a tick too late. Hopefully, with experience it will all fall into place for him. I just don't expect it to happen in the first four games this year.

Comparing making throws against PAC 10 cornerbacks and safeties and the NFL caliber corners and safeties is folly and you know this. You can make a throw once you're sure a receiver is open in college, in the NFL you better deliver the ball before the WR is out of his break. You know this, you played the game and you know you can't compare the speed of the two.

I don't have anything against Dixon, I want him to succeed and be a Steeler. Right now though, the Steelers need him to manage the game, make the easy throws, lean on Mendenhall, toss in a deep ball every now and then to keep them honest and let the defense win the game. We need that formula 3 more times before Ben comes back.

Dennis Dixon isn't winning a game for the Steelers with his arm IMO.

Pappy

papillon
09-13-2010, 11:27 PM
I repeat:

I'm not saying he can't make these throws, but if he goes to the well too many times he'll make a mistake. NFL safeties are a smart bunch and will make rookies pay during the course of a game. Look what Troy did Ryan; he baited him and then under cut a stinkin 10 yard out and picked it off. Ryan had no clue Polamalu was even considering that pay, he turned and threw the ball expecting Polamalu to be in over the top coverage.

Pappy

Captain Lemming
09-13-2010, 11:56 PM
I didn't see anything to give me the impression that Arians has any confidence in Dixon's ability to throw the ball downfield to Wallace or any other WR.
Pappy

Except for the fact that HE DID HAVE HIM THROW the ball downfield on the 52-yard bomb to Wallace.
And it was a better throw than most 50 plus yard attempts to Wallace, perfectly timed.
What are you talking about Pappy?

Slapstick
09-14-2010, 12:02 AM
I'm not saying he can't make these throws, but if he goes to the well too many times he'll make a mistake. NFL safeties are a smart bunch and will make rookies pay during the course of a game. Look what Troy did Ryan; he baited him and then under cut a stinkin 10 yard out and picked it off. Ryan had no clue Polamalu was even considering that pay, he turned and threw the ball expecting Polamalu to be in over the top coverage.

Pappy

I agree with you...but, the same goes for any NFL QB...there are not a plethora of 50+ yard pass plays to be had in any given game...

Dixon needs to settle himself down and throw better passes in the short and intermediate range...he was too inconsistent...

But, I would feel better if he was asked to throw a few more deep balls as opposed to fewer...

papillon
09-14-2010, 12:09 AM
I didn't see anything to give me the impression that Arians has any confidence in Dixon's ability to throw the ball downfield to Wallace or any other WR.
Pappy

Except for the fact that HE DID HAVE HIM THROW the ball downfield on the 52-yard bomb to Wallace.
And it was a better throw than most 50 plus yard attempts to Wallace, perfectly timed.

Somewhere in all my ramblings above I did say that Dixon would take his shots, but you're not going to see the vertical passing game in abundance, IMO. Running game, defense, Sepulveda and manageable down and distance and he'll be fine. He can't be in 2nd and long or 3rd and long to be successful.

Pappy

Captain Lemming
09-14-2010, 12:09 AM
I repeat:

Pappy

We are talking about situations where Wallace has beaten the coverage as he does with uncanny ease. If he hits Wallace in stride (as he did during this last game) and Wallace is behind coverage, there is nothing a safety can do.

If a safety is sitting deep, you don't take the shot.

When teams have 8 or even 9 in the box, those opportunities will be plentiful, thus the suggestion of the original post is logical.

Chadman
09-14-2010, 12:24 AM
Add ARE to the list of playmakers that should see the ball more- he has the ability to turn a short pass into a long gain- isn't that right Crash?

:stirpot :D

Captain Lemming
09-14-2010, 12:36 AM
Pappy

Somewhere in all my ramblings above I did say that Dixon would take his shots, but you're not going to see the vertical passing game in abundance, IMO. Running game, defense, Sepulveda and manageable down and distance and he'll be fine. He can't be in 2nd and long or 3rd and long to be successful.

Pappy

9.1 per pass attempt. That number will typically lead the league if it is sustained.
If what you mean is he wont throw 40 times I get your point.

I don't think that was suggested. Just more shots deep.

BURGH86STEEL
09-14-2010, 08:50 AM

Pappy

Well I saw almost all of his games at Oregon and I can tell you he can throw the ball. And he can consistantly make most of all the throws. Problem right now is confidence. If he can get some established I think he is going to surprise a lot of doubters.

It's one thing to do certain things at the college level, it's another thing to do it in the NFL. College stats and accomplishments mean nothing in the NFL.

Based on what I observed, his problem was/is accuracy. All the confidence in the world is not going to fix that issue. Only practice and playing time will help him improve.

I am not a doubter. I understand Dixon was starting his 2nd game. I think he did some good things and not so good things in his 2 starts. Kind of what someone should expect from a player that gets very little practice and playing time.

MaxAMillion
09-14-2010, 08:54 AM
I would double Wallace the entire game. There is no one else in the Steeler passing game that scares anyone. That is why the loss of Holmes is so significant.

papillon
09-14-2010, 09:37 AM
[quote=papillon] I didn't see anything to give me the impression that Arians has any confidence in Dixon's ability to throw the ball downfield to Wallace or any other WR.
Pappy

Pappy

9.1 per pass attempt. That number will typically lead the league if it is sustained.
If what you mean is he wont throw 40 times I get your point.

I don't think that was suggested. Just more shots deep.[/quote:2ciaads6]

If what you saw from Dixon gives confidence that he can win a game in the fourth quarter with his arm that's your opinion. I simply don't think he makes decisions quick enough and defenses are going to force Dixon to beat the Steelers.

Dixon converted a 3rd and 10 (Wallace) and a 3rd and 8 (Ward) all other 3rd downs using Dixon to try and pick them up were short.

3rd and 6
3rd and 7
3rd and 8
3rd and 5
3rd and 19 (can't expect this one to be converted)
3rd and 3

Except for the 3rd and 19 he is going to have to be better on 3rd down in the passing game. The others are manageable down and distances and he didn't do very well. He was also sacked on consecutive plays in the 4th quarter after using TOs to try and get in position for a FG. I don't know where the blame lies on the sacks, so, I won't even consider them.

But, the above 3rd downs need to be converted at least at a 50% rate, IMO to keep drives going and to eat clock. The defense can win games for the Steelers, but the offense needs to make some firsts. There were 4 three and outs during the game, it happens.

On a positive note, Dixon was successful passing on first and second down; unfortunately, many times during the game you're going to be in a 3rd and 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8 and you need to be able to convert.

We'll see what happens this week against a more stern defense in Tennessee and a hostile environment.

Pappy

Captain Lemming
09-14-2010, 09:48 AM

Pappy

It's one thing to do certain things at the college level, it's another thing to do it in the NFL. College stats and accomplishments mean nothing in the NFL.

Based on what I observed, his problem was/is accuracy. All the confidence in the world is not going to fix that issue. Only practice and playing time will help him improve.

I am not a doubter. I understand Dixon was starting his 2nd game. I think he did some good things and not so good things in his 2 starts. Kind of what someone should expect from a player that gets very little practice and playing time.

If you look closely you will notice a huge improvement already between the first and second half.
Dixon was something like 8 of 10 (as a math wiz I figured that to be 80 percent :lol:) double digit YPA, and an amazing QB rating well ino the hundreds.

Might what many saw as an inaccurate QB really been a young QB who was a little tight in the first half?

feltdizz
09-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Dixon definitely was tight early on... I was also ticked of at Moore for not catching that check down cleanly and getting that first down early on. I kid like Dixon needs all the help he can get.

Most of the Lefty crowd on here expected a loss but won't admit it. Dixon did a great job for his second start.

Ghost
09-14-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm going to have to agree with basically everything Pap has said. I'm of the same opinion. I'd love for Dixon to be lights out but after one performance I don't have the confidence he can routinely convert 3rd down and sustain long drives for TD's. The third down rate was 4-14. Terrible.

The Falcons D is not that good. And while Dixon had only 1 interception, it could have eaily been up to 4. Heath Miller is WIDE OPEN if there is just any amount of touch on that ball. if the Steelers find themselves down 2 touchdowns in the 4th it will be hard to come back (I'll be estatic if provwn wrong - I want Dixon to be the man!)

if I'm Tennessee; I stack the line and make Dixon beat me with his arm.

Also, the first drive had some creative playcalling but then the got away from it.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Also, the first drive had some creative playcalling but then the got away from it.

Hasn't that sort of been BA's M.O.?

steelcurtain44
09-14-2010, 11:06 AM
...…get the ball into their biggest play makers hands. I love Hines and I love Heath Miller however neither one of these has the explosiveness of Mike Wallace. Some how some way they need to get the ball into his hands more that twice a game. Slants, bubble screens, skinny post, reverse, etc., etc. He has big play ability like no one else on this football team. By doing this, two things are sure to happen. One, it will increase the teams chances of scoring touchdowns (and until Ben gets back this looks to be an issue), and two it will open up that deep route for Wallace. Teams are eventually not going to be playing him close to the line of scrimmage but if they start trying to get him the ball underneath this may help him on the deep route.

I actually think the Steelers do have the type of player on the team, but he wasn't even on the active list. I'm talking about the rookie WR Brown. He can run the bubble screen better than anyone on the team, because that's what he's always done. I was stunned to find out he wasn't active. Sanders didn't get much time as the PR, but ended up there against the Falcons. Brown show flashes in the preseason. He needs to be activated for this game against the Titans. I'm assuming that Tomlin will rotate the 2 as far as which one is active each week, and whoever shows the most will then take that spot.

Ghost
09-14-2010, 11:29 AM

Hasn't that sort of been BA's M.O.?

Yes! :HeadBanger

Dee Dub
11-09-2010, 02:13 PM

Bump!

Like I said...the Steelers need to get the ball more to Mike Wallace. Mike Wallace needs to be the primary target now. He is the most explosive player they have on their team.