09-13-2010, 12:13 PM
As per Adam Shefter @ ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5567559

Max Starks has high ankle sprain

* Email
* Print
* Comments2

ESPN.com news services

The Pittsburgh Steelers will be without suspended quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for three more weeks. The team's starting left tackle might be out of action for that long, too.

AFC North blog

Walker ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

Blog network: NFL Nation

Max Starks, who suffered a high ankle sprain in Sunday's overtime victory over the Atlanta Falcons, could be sidelined a month, a source familiar with the situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

However, another source familiar with the situation said it's conceivable Starks could be back in a few weeks.

Starks was seen in a walking boot after Sunday's game.

"I've had this happen before, so it's nothing new," Starks told the Beaver County Times on Sunday. "Hopefully it'll heal fast and it's nothing more than a week. It could have been a lot worse and I'm glad it wasn't. I'm going to do everything they tell me to do to make sure I'm ready to go as soon as possible."

Jonathan Scott played left tackle after Starks' injury.

"It's unfortunate for Max to go down like that and hopefully he can get back quick," quarterback Dennis Dixon told the Beaver County Times on Sunday. "But obviously this team has total confidence in J-Scott and we're looking forward to whenever he does play."

NW Steeler
09-13-2010, 12:20 PM
"However...."

Aren't a month and a few weeks the same thing? Maybe they teach math a little different where I come from.

StarSpangledSteeler
09-13-2010, 12:25 PM
This may actually be a blessing in disguise. I know, I know, just hear me out...

Nobody on this board right now knows if Hills can perform at LT at a starting caliber level. All we can do is guess. The only way to know if Hills is up to the task is to let him play. (Very similar to the Dennis Dixon situation.) With Starks healthy, there is no way Hills ever sees the field. They're not going to rotate him in like Ziggy Hood on the DL. At least now we'll be able to see what we've got in Hills during a 3 game stretch in which we already expected to have some difficulty winning anyways. This is not a Colon situation. Starks will be back in a few weeks in time to protect (semi-protect) Big Ben. This is perfect timing if you "had to choose" when an injury would strike. Hills gets to warm up with the less daunting pass rushes of Jacob Ford (Titans) and Stylez White (Bucs), both of which should be attacking out of standard 4-3 sets without a lot of stunting and/or confusion, before facing a more elite pass rusher in Terrell Suggs (Ravens). And as much as I hate to say this, if Hills does end up sucking, at least it's Dixon/Batch that gets hit, and not Ben. Either way it lets us rank the priority of a left tackle for next years draft.

aggiebones
09-13-2010, 01:55 PM
I can agree to this. We already have our minimum need of 1 win while Ben is gone. Another would be nice, but we've started 1-3 before and made playoffs.

It will be nice to get a REAL preview of Hills or Scott, whoever. We can either turn the page or realize he has some potential to be a legit player. Either way, we won't have to worry about him being a hanger on. If he fails, that will signal the end.

Snatch98
09-13-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm not worried about. I'll be happy to have Max back but we have some nice depth at tackle with the emergence of Hills. Our defense is the key and it was lights out yesterday. If Dixon can continue to manage and build his confidence and our d continues to be unforgiving we'll be just fine until Max comes back. Our line blocked really well yesterday even with Starks out. Kugler seems to have done a fantastic job and Pouncey in the middle is such a nice change of pace. He's going to be a beast at center and the next great in a long line of great centers. Our line has the mean streak we need.

As others have said Kugler may be our best off season acquisition. All I know is that when Ben finally returns week 6 things are going to get ugly for the NFL. We would have murdered the Falcons with Ben under center. Murdered! the Falcons. One game down, 3 more to go.

Gus
09-13-2010, 05:53 PM
Did anybody else notice the great news in the posting?

Max says he's been through this before. Recovery time from high ankle sprains is greatly reduced after having already had one. Hopefully, he's had one on the same ankle.